web
analytics

In-Depth Bants

Book Thread

Re: Book Thread

PostPosted by Artdefines06 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:30 pm

I guess I'll put this here. Its not really a book, but its a tumblr of book quotes, several a day. For some reason 99% of the quotes they most remind me of DnP. Sometimes I freak out because I think its a quote they said and its not lol. http://quotemadness.com/
Still waiting for that tell all book 30 years from now when Dan starts to run out of money because he has too many designer clothes and grand pianos in his Los Angeles mansion on Mount Olympus (after his failed stage career and #phandivorce)
Artdefines06
#relatable

Pronouns: She/Her

PostPosted by nephilimcat » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:27 am

Has anyone the same problem and used to read a lot and still loves books but can't be bothered to read unless it's a new book of your favourite series or there's nothing else you could possibly do? It just bothers me because I used to read like 1-5 books a week and this year I've only read 3 or 4 books in total (so far) :( I want to read, but I just can't be bothered to start. Has anyone tips how to overcome that?

Yesterday I did read though, I had no Internet until 9 pm, so I spent the whole day finishing "The Dark Heroine - Dinner with a Vampire". Has anyone else read it? I want to know if I'm the only one who thinks it is pretty problematic but had so much potential.
I really loved how the vampires actually did see humans as lesser beings, just like most humans see animals, yet they weren't heartless monsters. I also loved that they didn't suddenly vow to never kill a human ever again and just stayed the same throughout the whole book. Even though it was very long and took place at the same place 98% of the time, it wasn't boring.
Trigger Warning :
I'm going to talk about abuse and toxic relationships.
Now the problematic part: Kaspar literally kidnapped Violet and was very violent. He actually deliberately hurt her and always said he would "get her" one day and all that creepy stuff. And yet Violet fell in love with him. And then Kaspar actually locked himself in a room with her and told her that he won't let her say no anymore. That's so fucked up! I mean, he didn't rape her or forced her at that point, she wanted it, but he claims that he would have done that, if she decided that she didn't want to go on. And that should be enough reason to stay away from him.
Then Violet's main reason to get changed was Kaspar. Yes, also peace, but she admitted that Kaspar was the reason she finally decided to do it (before she knew she was a heroine). And she did think that they might not have a chance back then. Meaning she would be okay to just be a servant for him while he spends his time with other women?! I really liked that she called vampires out on sexism at first and thought she'd be a feminist or something, but then she started to fall in love with Kaspar and suddenly it didn't matter anymore. Wrong message!
Another thing: The author uses fate as an excuse for everything. Violet forgave Kaspar that he killed an innocent girl for fun, she wasn't even disturbed that he killed that one girl at the fair and even forgave him for being willing to let her die. He would have let her die because she knew her father was involved in his mother's death and didn't tell them. Well, why would she tell her kidnappers? And yet he was the one who was angry!? I'm just ... speechless.
All of this gives people wrong ideas and idealises abusive relationships and violence. Violet literally fell in love with her abusive kidnapper and stayed with the people who wanted to kill her for figuring out that her father killed the Queen even though she wasn't involved in that at all and besides had all the reasons to hate them. That's so fucked up and destroys the whole book for me.
pulvis et umbra sumus
nephilimcat
ar·tic·u·late

Pronouns: she/her

PostPosted by Skeletorsrighthand » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:50 pm

I have the same problem when i was still at school i used to buy cheap second hand books so i can read on the way to school (1H30M ride) or even read them between classes, another instance was that when i work i always carry a book with me to read when i get bored, but now when i have a lot of free time (and a smart phone) i just stopped the last time i read was when the electricity went out and i had nothing to do. sorry dont have any tips, remove the distraction i guess?. But it's good to know im not alone :shyhug:
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

PostPosted by emerald » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:22 am

Ooh, a book thread? *rubs hands*

Let's start with favourites. A Series of Unfortunate Events (and the ensuing universe). Just read it. I might be slightly partial as I grew up with the books, but honestly, they're great. They're so cleverly written and use language so ingeniously. I would highly recommend getting into the fandom (667 Dark Avenue is a good forum to discuss the books and snicketsleuth is a good Tumblr blog for fan theories, and no, I don't run them haha) as the series is a lot deeper than it seems at the surface!

What did I just read? I literally finished The School for Good and Evil: A World Without Princes (it's the second book in a trilogy, apparently soon-to-be four-part series) and, so far, it's good! I haven't finished the series but, as of now, I would recommend you read it!

Oh my god, I saw Harry Potter. Throwback to when I was in the fandom, eh? (I'm the quoted person)

Called a Wormtail by JKR herself and RTed by Emma Watson... My true glory days.

But no, seriously. HP is, relative to books in its intended audience and genre, a decent series. I guess it's been kind of ruined for me by the toxic fandom (I still keep in touch with some of the cool people, but a lot of the fandom either is 10 feet up JKR's ass or cringey or annoying or all three). Cursed Child is terrible, though. I wrote multiple essays on why it was terrible, and yes, I did see the play first (I actually never read the script. The play was torture enough, although I didn't cancel my preorder after I saw it. Don't know why).

Ask me opinions on other books, because I probably have some! Or recommend me books. I really need to read more.

EDIT:
nephilimcat wrote:Has anyone the same problem and used to read a lot and still loves books but can't be bothered to read unless it's a new book of your favourite series or there's nothing else you could possibly do? It just bothers me because I used to read like 1-5 books a week and this year I've only read 3 or 4 books in total (so far) :( I want to read, but I just can't be bothered to start. Has anyone tips how to overcome that?

Skeletorsrighthand wrote:I have the same problem when i was still at school i used to buy cheap second hand books so i can read on the way to school (1H30M ride) or even read them between classes, another instance was that when i work i always carry a book with me to read when i get bored, but now when i have a lot of free time (and a smart phone) i just stopped the last time i read was when the electricity went out and i had nothing to do. sorry dont have any tips, remove the distraction i guess?. But it's good to know im not alone :shyhug:

I had the exact same problem! I managed to get about 40 books read this year so far and while that might seem like a decent amount to some, I could read the average-sized novel (about 100k words) in a day before. How I overcame that is, when I found a book boring, I dropped it immediately. I only read books which I felt I could finish. And once you start it, don't abandon it (I know that might seem contradictory, but, I mean, if you're enjoying it to any extent and you like the characters or plot, don't stop). The trick is to finish a book and to read new content. As much as I love it when my favourite author comes out with a sequel, nothing beats the pure joy of reading a brilliant series for the first time. I think that my problem was that I stopped reading due to moving schools and getting a lot of homework in my new school and then I didn't feel that feeling for a long, long time, which made me lose interest.
cordless hammer drills
emerald
delia smith

PostPosted by Moon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:02 am

aaah a thread about books; one of my biggest weaknesses :garbage:
I love books a lot. Even as a child I used to read a lot and I still do.
My favourite genres are YA and Fantasy :)

The Raven Cycle destroyed my life. I love the characters and the plot so much honestly it's SO good. Maggie Stiefvater's writing style is amazing and the series will leave a hole in your heart after you've finished reading it. It's about Blue, a non-psychic who lives in a psychic family and 4 boys from a private school. The first book in the series is The Raven Boys and I highly recommend it. :stan: There is friendship, supernatural, LGBT and mind-blowing plot twists.
That's the plan.
:cactus: :lilheart:
Moon
delia smith

PostPosted by Skylar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:58 am

right now i'm reading the land of stories series by chris colfer. yes the one who played kurt on glee. i was lookin thru his interviews and saw he had made a book series and i was interested in it, so i decided to check it out at my local library. it's really good! if you like fantasy and fairy tales i definitely recommend it.

"this isn't a forever home."
Skylar
hobbit hair

Pronouns: they/their/them

Previous

Return to Other Fandoms and Recommendations