web
analytics

In-Depth Bants

Anime Thread

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by timtam » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:54 pm

000dia000 wrote:Thanks for even more recs :bigthumbsup:

Btw, I finally got around to watch the recent episode...
yeah, that's definitely a kiss. no doubt about it. makes sense in context and what happened, the sparkly lips and everyones surprised reactions, i dont think they're "already dating" at this point but I think they're close enough that they should be lol and I found this on tumblr anyway:
Image
soz, but looks like a kiss


Oooh thanks I hadn't seen that yet! More evidence for 'it was definitely a kiss!'
timtam
sad dimple
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:45 pm

timtam wrote:
000dia000 wrote:Thanks for even more recs :bigthumbsup:

Btw, I finally got around to watch the recent episode...
yeah, that's definitely a kiss. no doubt about it. makes sense in context and what happened, the sparkly lips and everyones surprised reactions, i dont think they're "already dating" at this point but I think they're close enough that they should be lol and I found this on tumblr anyway:
Image
soz, but looks like a kiss


Oooh thanks I hadn't seen that yet! More evidence for 'it was definitely a kiss!'

Not to be a rabid fangirl about it, but I'm definitely going to be a rabid fangirl about this series ;)

Also yaoi/yuri recs I think I might as well make in light of you guys recommending me some:
I've read Aitsu no Daihonmei which is really cute. It does have the whole uke/seme tropes (kinda) but instead they turn the genre on its head and the uke, instead of being basically a substitute for a female character in terms of their appearance, the character is meant to be ugly (jokes on them, he's everyone's favorite character and everyone loves him). They don't have many volumes and only half of them are translated, so discretion advised if you go in deep, have money to buy them.
19 Days is amazing, that is all.
Also No. 6, that I've mentioned
I liked Kill la Kill, albeit it not yuri, it kind of appealed to my shipping heart :philtrash:
000dia000
haru pillow
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:17 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by sia » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:33 pm

Total newbie post coming through..

Ok I never watched any kind of anime ever in my life but I was feeling a bit lazy today and on a whim I decided I'll check this Yuri on ice anime and I was so disappointed, there are literally only 7, less than 20 minutes long episodes?? and there are only 12 on so planned??

The story is really awesome and funny and Victor is so hot but everything is happening so fast, I need my long character development, I need more quiet training scenes, or just scenes like the one on the beach. Second thing is; I grew up watching subtitles, I thought they come naturally to me, but I was so confused, so many simultaneous talking like what the hell,

But yeah in the end I do like it, but I will probably wait again for a couple of months and binge watch it then.

and I am 100% sure that Victor and Yuuri are crushing badly on each other and that they should end up together but I am unconvinced by the kiss in the last episode. Because of two things, when you see Yuuri widening his eyes, there is close up of his right eye, but we simultaneously see end of Victors right ear aka they seemed perfectly aligned from profile but they weren't actually and also, how can you kiss midair and land with heads next to each other?

I have absolutely no knowledge about acceptance of same sex couples on Japanese tv, but just speaking purely logistics it doesn't seem possible that they actually kissed sadly, or maybe not because I would love to see more evolving of their relationship before they get together, idk just my opinion I guess
sia
living flop
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 am

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by Catallena » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:06 pm

sia wrote:Total newbie post coming through..

Ok I never watched any kind of anime ever in my life but I was feeling a bit lazy today and on a whim I decided I'll check this Yuri on ice anime and I was so disappointed, there are literally only 7, less than 20 minutes long episodes?? and there are only 12 on so planned??

The story is really awesome and funny and Victor is so hot but everything is happening so fast, I need my long character development, I need more quiet training scenes, or just scenes like the one on the beach. Second thing is; I grew up watching subtitles, I thought they come naturally to me, but I was so confused, so many simultaneous talking like what the hell,

But yeah in the end I do like it, but I will probably wait again for a couple of months and binge watch it then.

and I am 100% sure that Victor and Yuuri are crushing badly on each other and that they should end up together but I am unconvinced by the kiss in the last episode. Because of two things, when you see Yuuri widening his eyes, there is close up of his right eye, but we simultaneously see end of Victors right ear aka they seemed perfectly aligned from profile but they weren't actually and also, how can you kiss midair and land with heads next to each other?

I have absolutely no knowledge about acceptance of same sex couples on Japanese tv, but just speaking purely logistics it doesn't seem possible that they actually kissed sadly, or maybe not because I would love to see more evolving of their relationship before they get together, idk just my opinion I guess


Actually a reason I barely watch any modern anime and prefer my anime to be late 90's till late 00's is that nowadays series are so short and barely allow character development and story telling that isn't rushed as hell, so imo you're not wrong. I need 26 episodes and I miss times where that was the standard, 12 or 13 episodes is just not enough imo. I love Free! but I thought Eternal Summer felt rushed at the end because unlike in the previous season they had to divide screentime between Iwatobi and Samezuka teams. People raved about Madoka Magica but I wasn't impressed by it because I didn't care for any of the characters and also because it magical girl deconstructions aren't as original as people think.

I've seen weirder and far more impossible kisses in anime than the YUI one :lol:
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr

Image
Catallena
trash
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by sia » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:32 pm

Catallena wrote:
sia wrote:Total newbie post coming through..

Ok I never watched any kind of anime ever in my life but I was feeling a bit lazy today and on a whim I decided I'll check this Yuri on ice anime and I was so disappointed, there are literally only 7, less than 20 minutes long episodes?? and there are only 12 on so planned??

The story is really awesome and funny and Victor is so hot but everything is happening so fast, I need my long character development, I need more quiet training scenes, or just scenes like the one on the beach. Second thing is; I grew up watching subtitles, I thought they come naturally to me, but I was so confused, so many simultaneous talking like what the hell,

But yeah in the end I do like it, but I will probably wait again for a couple of months and binge watch it then.

and I am 100% sure that Victor and Yuuri are crushing badly on each other and that they should end up together but I am unconvinced by the kiss in the last episode. Because of two things, when you see Yuuri widening his eyes, there is close up of his right eye, but we simultaneously see end of Victors right ear aka they seemed perfectly aligned from profile but they weren't actually and also, how can you kiss midair and land with heads next to each other?

I have absolutely no knowledge about acceptance of same sex couples on Japanese tv, but just speaking purely logistics it doesn't seem possible that they actually kissed sadly, or maybe not because I would love to see more evolving of their relationship before they get together, idk just my opinion I guess


Actually a reason I barely watch any modern anime and prefer my anime to be late 90's till late 00's is that nowadays series are so short and barely allow character development and story telling that isn't rushed as hell, so imo you're not wrong. I need 26 episodes and I miss times where that was the standard, 12 or 13 episodes is just not enough imo. I love Free! but I thought Eternal Summer felt rushed at the end because unlike in the previous season they had to divide screentime between Iwatobi and Samezuka teams. People raved about Madoka Magica but I wasn't impressed by it because I didn't care for any of the characters and also because it magical girl deconstructions aren't as original as people think.

I've seen weirder and far more impossible kisses in anime than the YUI one :lol:


Ok I thought that 12 episodes was standard because of limitations of animation, now I'm just mad :lol: I'm wondering if the rumored manga ever gets published will that go more in depth or will it be the same? (I'm having flashbacks to the last summer when I was checking Buffy comics and found out that basically nothing happend since the end of the tv series :lol:)

Ah you managed to convince me to doubt again, I sincerely hope that the next episode will go more in depth with their relationship, maybe I'll even check it out when it releases and not wait until Christmas holidays (help, I think I'm trapped)
sia
living flop
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 am

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by Catallena » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:45 pm

sia wrote:
Catallena wrote:
sia wrote:Total newbie post coming through..

Ok I never watched any kind of anime ever in my life but I was feeling a bit lazy today and on a whim I decided I'll check this Yuri on ice anime and I was so disappointed, there are literally only 7, less than 20 minutes long episodes?? and there are only 12 on so planned??

The story is really awesome and funny and Victor is so hot but everything is happening so fast, I need my long character development, I need more quiet training scenes, or just scenes like the one on the beach. Second thing is; I grew up watching subtitles, I thought they come naturally to me, but I was so confused, so many simultaneous talking like what the hell,

But yeah in the end I do like it, but I will probably wait again for a couple of months and binge watch it then.

and I am 100% sure that Victor and Yuuri are crushing badly on each other and that they should end up together but I am unconvinced by the kiss in the last episode. Because of two things, when you see Yuuri widening his eyes, there is close up of his right eye, but we simultaneously see end of Victors right ear aka they seemed perfectly aligned from profile but they weren't actually and also, how can you kiss midair and land with heads next to each other?

I have absolutely no knowledge about acceptance of same sex couples on Japanese tv, but just speaking purely logistics it doesn't seem possible that they actually kissed sadly, or maybe not because I would love to see more evolving of their relationship before they get together, idk just my opinion I guess


Actually a reason I barely watch any modern anime and prefer my anime to be late 90's till late 00's is that nowadays series are so short and barely allow character development and story telling that isn't rushed as hell, so imo you're not wrong. I need 26 episodes and I miss times where that was the standard, 12 or 13 episodes is just not enough imo. I love Free! but I thought Eternal Summer felt rushed at the end because unlike in the previous season they had to divide screentime between Iwatobi and Samezuka teams. People raved about Madoka Magica but I wasn't impressed by it because I didn't care for any of the characters and also because it magical girl deconstructions aren't as original as people think.

I've seen weirder and far more impossible kisses in anime than the YUI one :lol:


Ok I thought that 12 episodes was standard because of limitations of animation, now I'm just mad :lol: I'm wondering if the rumored manga ever gets published will that go more in depth or will it be the same? (I'm having flashbacks to the last summer when I was checking Buffy comics and found out that basically nothing happend since the end of the tv series :lol:)

Ah you managed to convince me to doubt again, I sincerely hope that the next episode will go more in depth with their relationship, maybe I'll even check it out when it releases and not wait until Christmas holidays (help, I think I'm trapped)


Nah it's definitely a recent thing, 26 episodes used to pretty much be the standard length of a season. imo that was the perfect length for most anime, allowing for proper character introduction and development, story telling and even a few silly fillers like a beach or school festival episode half way through before shit would usually go down in the 2nd half of the series.

When a manga is the original source material for a series, it does tend to go more in depth and often continue on long after the end of their anime counterparts (like Fruits Basket which Dan mentioned in his recommendation video) or take a different path than the anime (usually because an anime gets made when the manga isn't finished yet so the writers are left to come up with their own plot twists and endings). They're also usually the superior version of the story. But I feel like the alledged manga for YUI isn't ever gonna be released... maybe some of it will end up in artbooks one day but the creator doesn't seem eager to share it with the world.

I'm personally not watching YUI yet, I tend to lose interest in anime if I have to wait for a new episode every week. I'm just gonna wait until it finishes and then binge it. Spoilers don't bother me much anyway :')
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr

Image
Catallena
trash
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by nephilimcat » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:41 pm

I really don't waste my free premium trial on Crunchyroll *cough* I watched AoT and loved it, as I expected. A great show, I can't wait for the next season.

But I didn't expect to fall in love with Blue Exorcist. I finished it within less than a day and it was just amazing! Rin is such a sweetheart even though he's the son of actual Satan. And his tail, pointy ears and sharp teeth just look so cute :garbage: I even started rewatching it and I usually don't rewatch stuff. I don't know why I love it so much. If you guys know any anime that features a main character similar to Rin and/or a similar plot, please tell me, I'd love to check it out!

Yuri on Ice isn't as amazing as I imagined it would be. In fact, it's actually quite disappointing. I guess I'm just not into that kind of anime :shrug:
Apparently the author confirmed it was a kiss on twitter in a subtle way. If they just keep it ambiguous until the end, I'll be so angry. I don't even need a kiss, I just want them to call each other boyfriends, so all those in doubt of can finally see that they are a thing. I feel so spoiled because the tv shows I watch have at least some lgbtq people and relationships in them and it's already not enough there. But anime is even worse, which is a huge problem.
pulvis et umbra sumus
nephilimcat
morning quiff
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:52 am
Location: Germany
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by PolarFox » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:57 pm

nephilimcat wrote:I really don't waste my free premium trial on Crunchyroll *cough* I watched AoT and loved it, as I expected. A great show, I can't wait for the next season.

*chimes in* read the AoT manga, it's so much better than the animeeeeeeee
Ehm. :garbage: :gg:

I might recommend Bungou Stray Dogs if you liked Blue Exorcist - it's very different, yet somehow it's the first anime that popped into my head as an answer. It's about people with superpowers, detectives vs mafia. Main character is precious.
Image
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
PolarFox
procrastinator
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:00 am
Location: Alderaan
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by nephilimcat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:47 am

PolarFox wrote:
nephilimcat wrote:I really don't waste my free premium trial on Crunchyroll *cough* I watched AoT and loved it, as I expected. A great show, I can't wait for the next season.

*chimes in* read the AoT manga, it's so much better than the animeeeeeeee
Ehm. :garbage: :gg:

I might recommend Bungou Stray Dogs if you liked Blue Exorcist - it's very different, yet somehow it's the first anime that popped into my head as an answer. It's about people with superpowers, detectives vs mafia. Main character is precious.


I still don't know about manga, I've seen some and I didn't really like them. I'm more a fan of books I guess. I also get confused on how to read them. Maybe I'll try one day, especially because you say the AoT one is better than the anime.

Thanks for the recommendation, I put it on my list, it sounds interesting :tu:
pulvis et umbra sumus
nephilimcat
morning quiff
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:52 am
Location: Germany
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by MoonPride » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:19 am

Sorry if been asked before, anyone who watches Yuri on Ice how is the dub? My daughter wants to watch it over the subbed version as she does art while watching Anime but heard the dub is really bad so she isn't sure if she should bother.
Image
MoonPride
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:01 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by mio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:04 am

MoonPride wrote:Sorry if been asked before, anyone who watches Yuri on Ice how is the dub? My daughter wants to watch it over the subbed version as she does art while watching Anime but heard the dub is really bad so she isn't sure if she should bother.


From what I've seen on tumblr the dub must to be hilarious. Victor's accent alone made me decide to rewatch the whole thing dubbed after all the eps are out

This one killed me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
(spoilers)
http://goombella123.tumblr.com/post/153494338489/
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
mio
#relatable
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by Skeletorsrighthand » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:37 am

New anime title: Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch
i.e. Code Geass: The Revival of Lelouch

■10周年イベントより
・ゼロレクイエムの数年後
・TVシリーズかどうかはまだわからない
・主人公はルルーシュ。つまり死んでない
・監督「シンプルに続編です」
・劇場版 総集編 コードギアス反逆のルルーシュも決定!3本映画構成で2017年1月公開
(アフレコ全部録り直し、新規カットあり)

From the 10 year anniversary event
>Set several years after Zero Requiem
>Not confirmed whether it's a TV series or a movie
>MC is Lelouch which means he's not dead
>Director: "It's a sequel"
>3 summary movies to be released January 2017 with new scenes

thoughts on possible code geass season 3 ?
Image
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:41 am
Location: Phillipines

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by trashqueen » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:16 am

Skeletorsrighthand wrote:New anime title: Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch
i.e. Code Geass: The Revival of Lelouch

■10周年イベントより
・ゼロレクイエムの数年後
・TVシリーズかどうかはまだわからない
・主人公はルルーシュ。つまり死んでない
・監督「シンプルに続編です」
・劇場版 総集編 コードギアス反逆のルルーシュも決定!3本映画構成で2017年1月公開
(アフレコ全部録り直し、新規カットあり)

From the 10 year anniversary event
>Set several years after Zero Requiem
>Not confirmed whether it's a TV series or a movie
>MC is Lelouch which means he's not dead
>Director: "It's a sequel"
>3 summary movies to be released January 2017 with new scenes

thoughts on possible code geass season 3 ?


oh god no

code geass is my all time favorite anime and i'm absolutely terrified they are gonna ruin it

why do people love unnecessary sequels the ending was perfect don't do this to me, just release a fanservice-y ova or a prequel for the anniversary and be done w it

that being said i'm excited for the possibility of it not being terrible (although idk how are they gonna manage to end it in a way that's not underwhelming in comparison to the s2 ending) and i'm obviously gonna watch it
Image
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:46 pm
Location: south america
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by Skeletorsrighthand » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:21 am

trashqueen wrote:
Skeletorsrighthand wrote:New anime title: Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch
i.e. Code Geass: The Revival of Lelouch

■10周年イベントより
・ゼロレクイエムの数年後
・TVシリーズかどうかはまだわからない
・主人公はルルーシュ。つまり死んでない
・監督「シンプルに続編です」
・劇場版 総集編 コードギアス反逆のルルーシュも決定!3本映画構成で2017年1月公開
(アフレコ全部録り直し、新規カットあり)

From the 10 year anniversary event
>Set several years after Zero Requiem
>Not confirmed whether it's a TV series or a movie
>MC is Lelouch which means he's not dead
>Director: "It's a sequel"
>3 summary movies to be released January 2017 with new scenes

thoughts on possible code geass season 3 ?


oh god no

code geass is my all time favorite anime and i'm absolutely terrified they are gonna ruin it

why do people love unnecessary sequels the ending was perfect don't do this to me, just release a fanservice-y ova or a prequel for the anniversary and be done w it

that being said i'm excited for the possibility of it not being terrible (although idk how are they gonna manage to end it in a way that's not underwhelming in comparison to the s2 ending) and i'm obviously gonna watch it


i guess all we can do is hope that the creators know what they are doing. there has always been speculation that
lelouch was still alive and was the carriage driver in the end (i guess if that where true he probably got Charles immortality) i never believed it but now.. never underestimate the power of :tinfoil: i guess.
Image
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:41 am
Location: Phillipines

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by Afunnyworld » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:31 pm

Yuri On Ice - new episode
This episode was mostly elongated skating scenes and felt a little to repetitive (with the same skating routines used in the previous episodes) I think that its not very exciting until the last 5 minutes.
I feel like there is too much character development for side characters. (I'm not sure if this is common It might just be that I don't watch a lot of anime and I don't really know how it normally is or how it's supposed to be) It feels like for several episodes they brought in a different side character and spent half the episode telling the story of a character that wouldn't be part of the story's continuity. I don't mind it in moderation, but idk I think that they do it too much. :shrug:

but that ending tho :love1: :love1:
Afunnyworld
senpai
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Location: USA

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by timtam » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Afunnyworld wrote:Yuri On Ice - new episode
This episode was mostly elongated skating scenes and felt a little to repetitive (with the same skating routines used in the previous episodes) I think that its not very exciting until the last 5 minutes.
I feel like there is too much character development for side characters. (I'm not sure if this is common It might just be that I don't watch a lot of anime and I don't really know how it normally is or how it's supposed to be) It feels like for several episodes they brought in a different side character and spent half the episode telling the story of a character that wouldn't be part of the story's continuity. I don't mind it in moderation, but idk I think that they do it too much. :shrug:

but that ending tho :love1: :love1:


I agree and it's really my only complaint about the show. The ice skating scenes have dragged on for the past two episodes. Especially as there is a backstory for each of the skaters. I think they should have reduced the backstories for the skaters that aren't important in the long run. Especially when the ice skating animation scenes are really not that great. I personally didn't care about Michele's skate (which was probably the longest skate not by Yuri or Yurio) this week because I was just too anxious about Yuri and Yurio . I can understand the focus on JJ, he's supposed to be a bit of an antagonist but the others meh.
timtam
sad dimple
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by mio » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:50 am

YOI

Actually I liked the new ep. The things you guys mentioned with the elongated skating scenes that are just getting repetitive I totally agree, but somehow it didnt feel as bad this week. Maybe I just got rid of all expectations and standards for this show and am happy that creepy eyelashes guy didnt make a mess on the ice this time. And the actual creeper of the episode got told off for his sister complex, so I am happy.

smh over how beautifully the writers of this show portrait the development of yuri and victors relationship, while on the other hand completely fail to build up any kind of coherent plot, suspense or antagonist arc. I still enjoy watching this show for the lols and cuteness but honestly I don't understand why everybody is like "omg best anime of 2016 groundbreaking 10/10"


Btw. I've been wanting to start a new anime yesterday and I just can't find anything I like anymore. I'm so over most of the stereotypes of storytelling in anime and especially the whole "handsome guy ensemble cast fighting spirits/criminals/etc".
I NEED PLOT. Clever, intriguing, slowly unraveling plot. Any suggestions? Could be drama, could be crime, slice of life, idc.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
mio
#relatable
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by untitled102 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:29 pm

mio wrote:Btw. I've been wanting to start a new anime yesterday and I just can't find anything I like anymore. I'm so over most of the stereotypes of storytelling in anime and especially the whole "handsome guy ensemble cast fighting spirits/criminals/etc".
I NEED PLOT. Clever, intriguing, slowly unraveling plot. Any suggestions? Could be drama, could be crime, slice of life, idc.


Slice of life: Since you love Barakamon :love1: I'd recomend Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon). Imho it's not as good as Barakamon but it's lovely. Or you might want to watch the sequel (Handa-kun) if you haven't already? It's a comedy, can be a bit cringey at times, but it's nice to see young Handa in high school lol
:garbage:

Slice of life manga: Yotsubato! Adorable and heartwarming and hilarious and iloveitsomuchicannotwords it's in similar tone to Barakamon

Comedy: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki kun! So so so much love for this anime!
untitled102
smol bean
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:00 am

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by Skeletorsrighthand » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:51 pm

mio wrote:
Btw. I've been wanting to start a new anime yesterday and I just can't find anything I like anymore. I'm so over most of the stereotypes of storytelling in anime and especially the whole "handsome guy ensemble cast fighting spirits/criminals/etc".
I NEED PLOT. Clever, intriguing, slowly unraveling plot. Any suggestions? Could be drama, could be crime, slice of life, idc.



monster by naoki urasawa drama/crime 74 episodes it perfectly describes what your looking for

this is a fan trailer
Image
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:41 am
Location: Phillipines

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by PolarFox » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:29 pm

timtam wrote:
Afunnyworld wrote:Yuri On Ice - new episode
This episode was mostly elongated skating scenes and felt a little to repetitive (with the same skating routines used in the previous episodes) I think that its not very exciting until the last 5 minutes.
I feel like there is too much character development for side characters. (I'm not sure if this is common It might just be that I don't watch a lot of anime and I don't really know how it normally is or how it's supposed to be) It feels like for several episodes they brought in a different side character and spent half the episode telling the story of a character that wouldn't be part of the story's continuity. I don't mind it in moderation, but idk I think that they do it too much. :shrug:

but that ending tho :love1: :love1:


I agree and it's really my only complaint about the show. The ice skating scenes have dragged on for the past two episodes. Especially as there is a backstory for each of the skaters. I think they should have reduced the backstories for the skaters that aren't important in the long run. Especially when the ice skating animation scenes are really not that great. I personally didn't care about Michele's skate (which was probably the longest skate not by Yuri or Yurio) this week because I was just too anxious about Yuri and Yurio . I can understand the focus on JJ, he's supposed to be a bit of an antagonist but the others meh.


as a very passionate yoi theorist, I feel like each character that doesn't get further hs a reason - so far all the themes that didn't pass were ones like greed, heartbreak, etc.
Also I like the one that every Free Skate that has been so much elaborated on (Michele, Georgi...) holds some sort of parallel for Yuri and Viktor...
If anyone is interested, I can send links to those meta posts/elaborate more of my personal thoughts :2thumbsup:
Image
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
PolarFox
procrastinator
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:00 am
Location: Alderaan
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by mio » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:55 am

untitled102 wrote:Slice of life: Since you love Barakamon :love1: I'd recomend Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon). Imho it's not as good as Barakamon but it's lovely. Or you might want to watch the sequel (Handa-kun) if you haven't already? It's a comedy, can be a bit cringey at times, but it's nice to see young Handa in high school lol
:garbage:

Slice of life manga: Yotsubato! Adorable and heartwarming and hilarious and iloveitsomuchicannotwords it's in similar tone to Barakamon

Comedy: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki kun! So so so much love for this anime!


Thank you!! i havent seen Gin no Saij or the Barakamon prequel yet, need to check it out!
Awwww I love GSNK! I agree, this one is so lovely, and you can watch it even if you don't normally like the ordinary high school romance (like me)

Also Skeletorsrighthand thanks for the rec but Monster is already one of my all-time favorites! Should have put it as an example :lol:
I also love Naoki Urasawas other work, especially 20th century boys (most atmospheric manga ever imo) and Pluto (amazing and I cried)
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
mio
#relatable
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by Skeletorsrighthand » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:57 am

mio wrote:
untitled102 wrote:Slice of life: Since you love Barakamon :love1: I'd recomend Gin no Saji (Silver Spoon). Imho it's not as good as Barakamon but it's lovely. Or you might want to watch the sequel (Handa-kun) if you haven't already? It's a comedy, can be a bit cringey at times, but it's nice to see young Handa in high school lol
:garbage:

Slice of life manga: Yotsubato! Adorable and heartwarming and hilarious and iloveitsomuchicannotwords it's in similar tone to Barakamon

Comedy: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki kun! So so so much love for this anime!


Thank you!! i havent seen Gin no Saij or the Barakamon prequel yet, need to check it out!
Awwww I love GSNK! I agree, this one is so lovely, and you can watch it even if you don't normally like the ordinary high school romance (like me)

Also Skeletorsrighthand thanks for the rec but Monster is already one of my all-time favorites! Should have put it as an example :lol:
I also love Naoki Urasawas other work, especially 20th century boys (most atmospheric manga ever imo) and Pluto (amazing and I cried)


ohh ok uhmm
I guess we have the same taste so im just going to shoot shows that i like. take note that im bad at describing shows so if you want to know more better search it on the net
satoshi kon's works ? paranoia agent, perfect blue, etc
Psycho pass -futuristic cop show where the cops receive guns that measures a persons crime coefficient and the gun decides whether to kill or paralyze.
MPD psycho - Multiple Personality Detective Psycho its a manga though no anime adaptation yet you might enjoy it.
Gantz- when the main character dies they are transported to a room with a black ball to play a deadly game of fighting aliens and robots if you decide to watch this my advice just read the manga
Ergo proxy- some argue masterpiece some argue pretentious garbage i think its somewhat in the middle.
Death parade- purgatory a bartender decides whether you get reincarnated or your soul to be incinerated talks about what a soul is and all that stuff.
some classics: Neon genesis evangelion, texhnolyze, serial experiments lain, haibane renmei, boogiepop phantom, blame! (epitome of atmosphere).
Image
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:41 am
Location: Phillipines

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by mio » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:43 am

Skeletorsrighthand wrote:
ohh ok uhmm
I guess we have the same taste so im just going to shoot shows that i like. take note that im bad at describing shows so if you want to know more better search it on the net
satoshi kon's works ? paranoia agent, perfect blue, etc
Psycho pass -futuristic cop show where the cops receive guns that measures a persons crime coefficient and the gun decides whether to kill or paralyze.
MPD psycho - Multiple Personality Detective Psycho its a manga though no anime adaptation yet you might enjoy it.
Gantz- when the main character dies they are transported to a room with a black ball to play a deadly game of fighting aliens and robots if you decide to watch this my advice just read the manga
Ergo proxy- some argue masterpiece some argue pretentious garbage i think its somewhat in the middle.
Death parade- purgatory a bartender decides whether you get reincarnated or your soul to be incinerated talks about what a soul is and all that stuff.
some classics: Neon genesis evangelion, texhnolyze, serial experiments lain, haibane renmei, boogiepop phantom, blame! (epitome of atmosphere).


Thank you so much!! I guess we do :D

Oh now I remember Death parade from Dan's rec video and that I wanted to check it out.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
mio
#relatable
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:48 am

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by sia » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:35 am

Ahh I'm just here to fangirl a bit about yoi episode 10, what the hell even was that??!!?? So much how everyone was worried that it will become only about ice skating, this episode had zero skating and so many other things, can't believe no one yet said anything about it :snowflake3: :snowflake3: :snowflake3:
sia
living flop
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:00 am

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by Artdefines06 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:06 am

sia wrote:Ahh I'm just here to fangirl a bit about yoi episode 10, what the hell even was that??!!?? So much how everyone was worried that it will become only about ice skating, this episode had zero skating and so many other things, can't believe no one yet said anything about it :snowflake3: :snowflake3: :snowflake3:


Sorry, I was busy participating on tumblr and figuring out how the heck I'm going to work that new information into the fic I've been writing lol. (and finals, homework is important I guess)

The last two episodes should be very skating based. I expect full breakdowns of every skating program, and a sappy bit to tie everything up at the end.

Who knows though, they may have a big surprise for us again at the end.

They are thinking of season two, and while everyone seems to want it to be Yuuri and Victor going to worlds or the olympics or whatever, I think they should focus season 2 on russian Yuri, skip like three years so hes legal and stuff, and have him figure his life out with victuuri just being cute and supportive in the background.
Still waiting for that tell all book 30 years from now when Dan starts to run out of money because he has too many designer clothes and grand pianos in his Los Angeles mansion on Mount Olympus (after his failed stage career and #phandivorce)
Artdefines06
#relatable
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:51 pm
Location: Cali, USA
Pronouns: She/Her

PreviousNext

Return to Other Fandoms and Recommendations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests