In-Depth Bants

Anime Thread

Re: Anime Thread

PostPosted by Skylar » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:11 pm

I used to watch anime a lot when i was around 15 or 16 and i watched a lot when i was younger but it was in a crappy 4kids dub ofc.

my top fave animes are:
-clannad/clannad afterstory (do not watch this if you do not want to cry)
-angel beats
-kobato

i've seen many others but never actually finished them such as sonic x (the jap sub), tokyo mew mew, sailor moon (i didnt get too far in..) and a few others i can't remember. i usually tend to watch them in binges and then stop for a while oops.
Skylar
drama llama

Pronouns: they/their

PostPosted by IckleMissMayhem » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:50 am

Watched and thoroughly enjoyed Free! S1&2 this week... Watched the first episode of Yuri on Ice too. Liking it so far. :ribena:
IckleMissMayhem
full-time internet hobo

Pronouns: she/her

PostPosted by buttrito » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:54 am

have any of you guys seen Nichijou before???
buttrito
smol bean

PostPosted by ohgod » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:53 pm

For those of you who liked the romance aspect of YOI but wished they had focused on/developed the relationship a bit more, I seriously recommend watching the film Doukyuusei (Classmates in English). Here's the MAL link: https://myanimelist.net/anime/30346/Doukyuusei_Movie

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of BL/Yaoi/Shounen-Ai anime because of the heavy focus on sex and problematic/cringy tropes that always show up in the relationships. This film is the first in this genre (at least that I've seen) that manages to avoid all of this and instead shows a healthy and realistic relationship between two guys. I was seriously amazed by how real it was...it seemed to perfectly capture the innocence and awkwardness of a high school relationship. I also loved that the film didn't put a ton of focus on/create drama over the fact that the characters were gay (unlike pretty much all other yaoi anime), and instead the obstacles they faced were ones that any other high school couple would.

The characters have such a great dynamic and compliment one another really well. They were so endearing to watch together that I swear my heart had melted into a puddle by the end of the film :garbage: Also, the animation is beautiful and has a style that's fairly different than what I've seen before.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's available on any legal streaming sites. Kissanime has it, though.

Seriously, I can't recommend this enough. I'm shocked that more people don't talk about it. It's just so cute. If you need any more convincing, have this adorable gif:

ohgod
dank meme

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Okay, this probably doesn't technically belong in the Anime thread, being it technically a Manwha in question, however it bears the same overlapping interests of many and I think that it fits this thread best.

Due to the Yuri On Ice fandom growing weaker and bored following the last episode, many fans began referencing a web comic that had yaoi themes. However, people are getting angry due to this comic being "KillingStalking" a psychological, gory horror that these people ignored the 18+ label and seem to think this is the only comic of its sort in existence.

It might not be YOI fans cup of tea but if anybody is interested in the genre that would be quite dark, I would love to talk about it. Any discussion I see on Tumblr seems to be outsiders criticizing the unhealthy relationship (disregarding that it is part of the subject matter).

Anyways, I rec the series if anybody likes something a bit darker in tone (though discretion advised BTW)
Don't Open Me
LOLZOR
000dia000
long-time wanker

PostPosted by hannah » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 pm

000dia000 wrote:Okay, this probably doesn't technically belong in the Anime thread, being it technically a Manwha in question, however it bears the same overlapping interests of many and I think that it fits this thread best.

Due to the Yuri On Ice fandom growing weaker and bored following the last episode, many fans began referencing a web comic that had yaoi themes. However, people are getting angry due to this comic being "KillingStalking" a psychological, gory horror that these people ignored the 18+ label and seem to think this is the only comic of its sort in existence.

It might not be YOI fans cup of tea but if anybody is interested in the genre that would be quite dark, I would love to talk about it. Any discussion I see on Tumblr seems to be outsiders criticizing the unhealthy relationship (disregarding that it is part of the subject matter).

Anyways, I rec the series if anybody likes something a bit darker in tone (though discretion advised BTW)

Omg! I just read all of this, and personally I think its really great. It kept me throughout the whole thing, Its just so, wow? I'm not a gore person most of the time (higurashi flashbacks :wtf:) But this is so interesting! I love the art style and the story in general. Thank you for reccommending this! :bigthumbsup:
hannah
glabella

PostPosted by PolarFox » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:31 am

hannah wrote:
000dia000 wrote:Okay, this probably doesn't technically belong in the Anime thread, being it technically a Manwha in question, however it bears the same overlapping interests of many and I think that it fits this thread best.

Omg! I just read all of this, and personally I think its really great. It kept me throughout the whole thing, Its just so, wow? I'm not a gore person most of the time (higurashi flashbacks :wtf:) But this is so interesting! I love the art style and the story in general. Thank you for reccommending this! :bigthumbsup:

oh yes! I read that because I was curious why the ehck were all the yoi fans talking about it and I was just :shock:
But as a fan of psychological horror, I read it all in one sitting and I liked it. I specially like taking it apart and taking apart the motives. If anyone wants to tal hmu

ohgod wrote:For those of you who liked the romance aspect of YOI but wished they had focused on/developed the relationship a bit more, I seriously recommend watching the film Doukyuusei (Classmates in English). Here's the MAL link: https://myanimelist.net/anime/30346/Doukyuusei_Movie

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I watched it and I related and I loved it. This was everything, really cute romance and accurate description of teenage romance drama. All along with a cute art and lovable characters. :garbage:
:mystic:
PolarFox
hobbit hair

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:45 am

hannah wrote:

PolarFox wrote:
oh yes! I read that because I was curious why the ehck were all the yoi fans talking about it and I was just :shock:
But as a fan of psychological horror, I read it all in one sitting and I liked it. I specially like taking it apart and taking apart the motives. If anyone wants to tal hmu

I'm glad other people liked it as well. When I heard of it, I also ended up reading it all in one sitting. It's absolutley captivating, and you cannot stop. I particularly love the art style of it, the artist is able to capture such small details and I feel as if nothing is left out. I can't wait until the next chapter is released. While the YOI fans kind of destroyed the tumblr side of it, I'm kind of hoping for it to mellow out and become easier to digest. At least they pointed me in the direction of a great comic :bigthumbsup:
Don't Open Me
LOLZOR
000dia000
long-time wanker

PostPosted by majitzu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:56 am

ohgod wrote:
For those of you who liked the romance aspect of YOI but wished they had focused on/developed the relationship a bit more, I seriously recommend watching the film Doukyuusei (Classmates in English). Here's the MAL link: https://myanimelist.net/anime/30346/Doukyuusei_Movie

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of BL/Yaoi/Shounen-Ai anime because of the heavy focus on sex and problematic/cringy tropes that always show up in the relationships. This film is the first in this genre (at least that I've seen) that manages to avoid all of this and instead shows a healthy and realistic relationship between two guys. I was seriously amazed by how real it was...it seemed to perfectly capture the innocence and awkwardness of a high school relationship. I also loved that the film didn't put a ton of focus on/create drama over the fact that the characters were gay (unlike pretty much all other yaoi anime), and instead the obstacles they faced were ones that any other high school couple would.

The characters have such a great dynamic and compliment one another really well. They were so endearing to watch together that I swear my heart had melted into a puddle by the end of the film :garbage: Also, the animation is beautiful and has a style that's fairly different than what I've seen before.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's available on any legal streaming sites. Kissanime has it, though.

Seriously, I can't recommend this enough. I'm shocked that more people don't talk about it. It's just so cute. If you need any more convincing, have this adorable gif:

Ohh I watched Doukyuusei months ago, it was so cute

majitzu
trash

PostPosted by ohgod » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:19 am

ohgod wrote:For those of you who liked the romance aspect of YOI but wished they had focused on/developed the relationship a bit more, I seriously recommend watching the film Doukyuusei (Classmates in English). Here's the MAL link: https://myanimelist.net/anime/30346/Doukyuusei_Movie

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I watched it and I related and I loved it. This was everything, really cute romance and accurate description of teenage romance drama. All along with a cute art and lovable characters. :garbage:

majitzu wrote:

Ohh I watched Doukyuusei months ago, it was so cute

Yay, I'm glad you guys liked it too! There's a manga too, and a sequel to the manga that basically picks up right where the movie/first manga left off. The sequel is AMAZING and I highly recommend checking it out, it's called Sotsugyousei and is available online if you look it up on google!
ohgod
dank meme

PostPosted by CallMeAyana » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:42 am

...Once Midterms are over, I'll try watching (and reading) all the recs here! :bigthumbsup:
I'm putting all my recs under a spoiler because it's too damn long.

So.. Umm... This isn't exactly an anime, but... has anyone read "Can't See, Can't Hear, But Love" before? It's a... manhwa? Yeah, it's a manhwa. It's kinda sad... I read it on Mangafox, and the uploaded scans there weren't complete, so I looked for it on other sites, but the only ones I could find are raw, and... :sobs: Yeah. Basically, that. I think that I've read it thrice already because I couldn't remember the ending, and I thought that since the uploaded chapters on Mangafox weren't finished, I didn't looked for it for the previous time that I read it. Oh, boy. Was I wrong. I cried three times. Well... more than three times, actually.
...Forget that. Forget what I said above because I re-checked the manhwa, and the ending is not that. It's not that. Continue. (I'm re-reading it, but you probably couldn't tell. They just finished uploading all of the chapters last 2015, but I didn't checked anymore. It seems that they were on hiatus for 2 years or something.)

Anyways, are any of you up for some gore? Psychological thriller or something? I recommend Ibitsu. It's effing harrowing. I once let my friends read it, and we're all like: :shock: To be honest, after reading it the first time, I was pretty paranoid, even in broad daylight (but seeing as I am a female, I'm safe).

There's also Apocalypse no Toride which is like... releasing monthly updates? So, I kinda gave up on that, but, hey! It's pretty good. It's about zombies, and mutated zombies, and that naked guy that has three irises and can control zombies. It's great! Also, there is this guy who can look three seconds into the future which is cool. Yeah... The setting was in a prison though. WAS because the characters were criminals (WERE because the world is destroyed by zombies already. Apparently, it's finished, so I'll try reading it after midterms.)

Also, has any of you read Judge? By Tonogai Yoshiki? It's pretty good, but I kinda stopped reading since... it hasn't updated for years. He has another work though, which is already finished, and it has the same concept as Judge; the title is Doubt. I love it because it's like you're also trying to figure out who the killer is while the other characters also do it. It's great!

Another manga that I stopped reading is Zekkyyou Gakkyuu because it barely updates (it updated once last year, like, last November). It's actually a series of unrelated one-shots, and... I actually have a favorite chapter which is "The Ocean is Calling". It's somewhere in Volume 1, I think. It mostly have moral lessons, by the way, and it's good (imo), but it's not harrowing like Ibitsu.

Some others because this list is too long:
Another (there's the anime, and then there's the manga, but there's barely any difference, anyways.)
Aphorism
Hanako to Guuwa no Tera
Gakkou Gurashi (I think this one already has an anime? Also, there's character development! Yay!)
Berserk (there's the anime series, and the movie that is the remake of the series, and the anime that is the sequel to the movie that is the remake of the series, and the manga.)
Loop (One-shot, but it's good... for me, anyways.)
King of Thorns (I only watched the movie, and it's good. Actually, it's great!)
Durarara! (Forget the animation for a moment and just focus on the plot line. You'll love it! Apparently, there's, like, a 2nd light novel for the whole series? It's "DRRR: Snake Hands", I think? I also stopped reading the light novel since I actually haven't read the light novels for DRRR.)
Kuroshitsuji (Basic, but Elizabeth and Meirin are badasses.)
Online (Which I kinda forgot the plot line, but I remember it being good, so...)
Shuuen no Shiori (I think it originally came from a Vocaloid song? Idk, but it's good.)
Fuan no Tane (Extremely short one-shots)
Fuan no Tane Plus
Oukoku Game (I had no idea what happened to this, but the concept is interesting.)

I would like to put in Bloody Junkie, but... it was discontinued :sobs:

Wow... You guys probably know what kind of person I am right now. Don't worry, I haven't killed anyone and never will... probably.

Well, there's that. Now, I need to go back and be a part of life again.
Half-Wampus, Half-Pukwudgie, and a fourth of all Hogwarts' Houses.
Yes, I don't do Math.
CallMeAyana
sofa crease

Pronouns: Phan Trash

PostPosted by PolarFox » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:43 pm

CallMeAyana wrote:...Once Midterms are over, I'll try watching (and reading) all the recs here! :bigthumbsup:
I'm putting all my recs under a spoiler because it's too damn long.

So.. Umm... This isn't exactly an anime, but... has anyone read "Can't See, Can't Hear, But Love" before? It's a... manhwa? Yeah, it's a manhwa. It's kinda sad... I read it on Mangafox, and the uploaded scans there weren't complete, so I looked for it on other sites, but the only ones I could find are raw, and... :sobs: Yeah. Basically, that. I think that I've read it thrice already because I couldn't remember the ending, and I thought that since the uploaded chapters on Mangafox weren't finished, I didn't looked for it for the previous time that I read it. Oh, boy. Was I wrong. I cried three times. Well... more than three times, actually.
...Forget that. Forget what I said above because I re-checked the manhwa, and the ending is not that. It's not that. Continue. (I'm re-reading it, but you probably couldn't tell. They just finished uploading all of the chapters last 2015, but I didn't checked anymore. It seems that they were on hiatus for 2 years or something.)

Anyways, are any of you up for some gore? Psychological thriller or something? I recommend Ibitsu. It's effing harrowing. I once let my friends read it, and we're all like: :shock: To be honest, after reading it the first time, I was pretty paranoid, even in broad daylight (but seeing as I am a female, I'm safe).

There's also Apocalypse no Toride which is like... releasing monthly updates? So, I kinda gave up on that, but, hey! It's pretty good. It's about zombies, and mutated zombies, and that naked guy that has three irises and can control zombies. It's great! Also, there is this guy who can look three seconds into the future which is cool. Yeah... The setting was in a prison though. WAS because the characters were criminals (WERE because the world is destroyed by zombies already. Apparently, it's finished, so I'll try reading it after midterms.)

Also, has any of you read Judge? By Tonogai Yoshiki? It's pretty good, but I kinda stopped reading since... it hasn't updated for years. He has another work though, which is already finished, and it has the same concept as Judge; the title is Doubt. I love it because it's like you're also trying to figure out who the killer is while the other characters also do it. It's great!

Another manga that I stopped reading is Zekkyyou Gakkyuu because it barely updates (it updated once last year, like, last November). It's actually a series of unrelated one-shots, and... I actually have a favorite chapter which is "The Ocean is Calling". It's somewhere in Volume 1, I think. It mostly have moral lessons, by the way, and it's good (imo), but it's not harrowing like Ibitsu.

Some others because this list is too long:
Another (there's the anime, and then there's the manga, but there's barely any difference, anyways.)
Aphorism
Hanako to Guuwa no Tera
Gakkou Gurashi (I think this one already has an anime? Also, there's character development! Yay!)
Berserk (there's the anime series, and the movie that is the remake of the series, and the anime that is the sequel to the movie that is the remake of the series, and the manga.)
Loop (One-shot, but it's good... for me, anyways.)
King of Thorns (I only watched the movie, and it's good. Actually, it's great!)
Durarara! (Forget the animation for a moment and just focus on the plot line. You'll love it! Apparently, there's, like, a 2nd light novel for the whole series? It's "DRRR: Snake Hands", I think? I also stopped reading the light novel since I actually haven't read the light novels for DRRR.)
Kuroshitsuji (Basic, but Elizabeth and Meirin are badasses.)
Online (Which I kinda forgot the plot line, but I remember it being good, so...)
Shuuen no Shiori (I think it originally came from a Vocaloid song? Idk, but it's good.)
Fuan no Tane (Extremely short one-shots)
Fuan no Tane Plus
Oukoku Game (I had no idea what happened to this, but the concept is interesting.)

I would like to put in Bloody Junkie, but... it was discontinued :sobs:

Wow... You guys probably know what kind of person I am right now. Don't worry, I haven't killed anyone and never will... probably.

Well, there's that. Now, I need to go back and be a part of life again.

Thank you for those recs :stan: I remember loving the heck out of Another, if just for the... creative ways to die and the creepy dolls. (And of course the main girl :love2: )
I kind of started Apocalypse no Toride but dropped it after two or three chapters. Might get back to it on crunchy.
Feel free to recommend more! :ribena:

Just by the way, I finished the Evangelion Rebuild movies few days ago (after i had few months to recover from the anime and EoE) so if anyone is up for discussing that with me, I'd be glad because there are still many things i find confusing. And I don't really want to dive into the reddit sphere or "Shinji is straight you doof" :facepalm:
:mystic:
PolarFox
hobbit hair

PostPosted by crash[] » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Looking back at this thread at my post about the Victuuri kiss makes me smile. I was so unsuspecting then, good times. :rofl:

It's just a shame that YoI has become so overhyped, though. It's good, but it really dropped the ball on a lot of aspects that are being overlooked now because "canon homo". Because of that, I've seen a lot of people shitting on the show unnecessarily.

Some onions: my Fall AOTS was definitely Flip Flappers, such a shame that anime was slept on. :[ Overall, I'd say that Mob Psycho was the best anime of 2016.

Anyway, this post resurrected me:
PolarFox wrote:Just by the way, I finished the Evangelion Rebuild movies few days ago (after i had few months to recover from the anime and EoE) so if anyone is up for discussing that with me, I'd be glad because there are still many things i find confusing. And I don't really want to dive into the reddit sphere or "Shinji is straight you doof" :facepalm:

I'm vehemently anti-Het!Shinji, so you're in safe hands here. What questions do you have?
crash[]
glabella

Previous

Return to Fandoms and Recommendations