In-Depth Bants

Evan Edinger

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by greatnessflicker » Mon May 30, 2016 8:58 am

spaceguitar wrote:I really disagree with you on a lot of this. But I generally like Evan more than other people here seem to. First of all, the video didn't feel too pretentious to me, though the beginning montage could be classified as such. But I really thought his ending conclusion about himself being the only person holding him back was great.
But as for the part about girls, I don't think i necessarily see it as immature.He's demisexual. He's probably put a lot of thought and energy into considering when he is actually into someone. That musing to me seemed more like a aromantic type thing (though i don't think Evan classifies himself that way) than an immature boy thing.

First, thanks for sharing positive thoughts about evan in a place where that can be not-so-easy to do so.

As far as pretentious or whatever, I do think only the beginning of it was, as I said. The rest of it, talking openly with the camera, is good. Listening to him talk about being kicked out of his current place bc his roommates are getting married fills me with genuine anxiety and I hope he finds a place to live. And thank goodness this video was relatively bad punless.

Also, I didn't make it clear, but I also agree the whole thing about him being the only one holding himself back. He is going through something very relatable, to both YouTubers and non-youtubers alike (i think recent college graduates like myself ahem can get where he is coming from with the unstructured time). I just think he should have anticipated that going from working 40 hours a week at a mainstream job to youtubing full-time would present a lot of problems, especially with regards to how to time manage.

As far as I understand it, demisexual means you must have an emotional bond with someone before feeling attraction. The idea that you lose interest in someone once they reciprocate feelings is unrelated to it, as far as I know (and seems actually counter to the definition).

In fact, the idea that you lose interest in someone once there is an actual chance of it working out sounds a lot like that thing when you are more interested in "the chase," the buildup of a relationship, than having an actual relationship. Falling in love with the idea of being in love rather than actually being in love. To an extent, I can't fault him for this, a lot of people experience it. I didn't meant to suggest its purely about being an immature boy either; I'm a girl (though my maturity is suspect at best lol) and I find myself loving the pining rather than the actual person. I can't comment on if that musing sounds aromantic. All I know is I'm very much into the "chase" and definitely not aromantic.

What I find immature is his lack of taking responsibility in the matter. He said that he and a girl never admitted to each other their feelings and then he lied to himself about how interested he was to minimize the pain of her leaving. Sounds like he (and the girl) were both acting coy and avoiding communicating, to each other and themselves. Whatever mess occurred was a result of their actions. He admits that his self-denial made his feelings worse, which is good. But the way he said "I have a problem with girls, they only like me when I don't like them back, and when they do like me back I find myself disinterested" sounded so defeatist to me, and the way it sounds like he expects to fail is probably what I disliked the most.
User avatar
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:48 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by spaceguitar » Mon May 30, 2016 11:12 am

greatnessflicker wrote:
spaceguitar wrote:I really disagree with you on a lot of this. But I generally like Evan more than other people here seem to. First of all, the video didn't feel too pretentious to me, though the beginning montage could be classified as such. But I really thought his ending conclusion about himself being the only person holding him back was great.
But as for the part about girls, I don't think i necessarily see it as immature.He's demisexual. He's probably put a lot of thought and energy into considering when he is actually into someone. That musing to me seemed more like a aromantic type thing (though i don't think Evan classifies himself that way) than an immature boy thing.

First, thanks for sharing positive thoughts about evan in a place where that can be not-so-easy to do so.

As far as pretentious or whatever, I do think only the beginning of it was, as I said. The rest of it, talking openly with the camera, is good. Listening to him talk about being kicked out of his current place bc his roommates are getting married fills me with genuine anxiety and I hope he finds a place to live. And thank goodness this video was relatively bad punless.

Also, I didn't make it clear, but I also agree the whole thing about him being the only one holding himself back. He is going through something very relatable, to both YouTubers and non-youtubers alike (i think recent college graduates like myself ahem can get where he is coming from with the unstructured time). I just think he should have anticipated that going from working 40 hours a week at a mainstream job to youtubing full-time would present a lot of problems, especially with regards to how to time manage.

As far as I understand it, demisexual means you must have an emotional bond with someone before feeling attraction. The idea that you lose interest in someone once they reciprocate feelings is unrelated to it, as far as I know (and seems actually counter to the definition).

In fact, the idea that you lose interest in someone once there is an actual chance of it working out sounds a lot like that thing when you are more interested in "the chase," the buildup of a relationship, than having an actual relationship. Falling in love with the idea of being in love rather than actually being in love. To an extent, I can't fault him for this, a lot of people experience it. I didn't meant to suggest its purely about being an immature boy either; I'm a girl (though my maturity is suspect at best lol) and I find myself loving the pining rather than the actual person. I can't comment on if that musing sounds aromantic. All I know is I'm very much into the "chase" and definitely not aromantic.

What I find immature is his lack of taking responsibility in the matter. He said that he and a girl never admitted to each other their feelings and then he lied to himself about how interested he was to minimize the pain of her leaving. Sounds like he (and the girl) were both acting coy and avoiding communicating, to each other and themselves. Whatever mess occurred was a result of their actions. He admits that his self-denial made his feelings worse, which is good. But the way he said "I have a problem with girls, they only like me when I don't like them back, and when they do like me back I find myself disinterested" sounded so defeatist to me, and the way it sounds like he expects to fail is probably what I disliked the most.

Ok cool I totally see your point. I guess I'm still not certain if that is an immaturity thing, though maybe he should not have shared it with his audience.
User avatar
spaceguitar
#relatable
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:22 am
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by vincentian » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:28 am

greatnessflicker wrote:But the way he said "I have a problem with girls, they only like me when I don't like them back, and when they do like me back I find myself disinterested" sounded so defeatist to me, and the way it sounds like he expects to fail is probably what I disliked the most.

I got the impression Evan meant that there’s no mutual attraction with girls, it’s always one-sided (either from him or from the girl), but worded it weirdly. When = in the situation when, not with the same person later on. Maybe I'm wrong.

He opened up in this video about the home that he ran from, has he mentioned anything about that before? Seems like he struggled to live with his family. While the artistic value of the video is in my opinion questionable, he presented it as his personal thoughts and made conclusions for himself, and I appreciate the attempt to share personal experiences in this way.

Also he was recently on Cereal Time and in a nice (spon) video with Dodie.

User avatar
vincentian
sad dimple
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:49 am

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by fancybum » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:14 am

vincentian wrote:He opened up in this video about the home that he ran from, has he mentioned anything about that before? Seems like he struggled to live with his family. While the artistic value of the video is in my opinion questionable, he presented it as his personal thoughts and made conclusions for himself, and I appreciate the attempt to share personal experiences in this way.

I've never heard him discuss his family (that I remember anyway, but I also don't watch much of his stuff) until that mention in the video. He also shared a part cut from his most recent vid w Dodie/whoever on snapchat where he told a story about his dad. Paraphrased because I can't rewatch snapchat right now (but it might still be there, I don't know if it's been 24hrs yet):
When I was 13-14, my dad made me go to a dance because he thought I was gay. He said if I went and danced with a girl, he would buy me a GameCube. So I went and sat there and drank a lot of punch and told him I danced with a girl named (?) and I got a GameCube. (Then in response to Dodie/other-girl's horrified concern): Because America!

So yeah his family (or dad at least) sound like stereotypical douchebags who wanted to force their kid to be 'normal'. No wonder he wants to stay out of America so desperately. Also might explain his general air of bitterness.. Does anybody else see that in him? I found his appearance on Cereal Time kind of awkward and he seemed sort of negative, like just his general vibe. Or maybe it's just me projecting that onto him because I don't like him that much. Idk, maybe I'll rewatch.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Image
User avatar
fancybum
cat whiskers
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:06 pm
Location: bork

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by vincentian » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:38 am

fancybum wrote:I've never heard him discuss his family (that I remember anyway, but I also don't watch much of his stuff) until that mention in the video. He also shared a part cut from his most recent vid w Dodie/whoever on snapchat where he told a story about his dad. Paraphrased because I can't rewatch snapchat right now (but it might still be there, I don't know if it's been 24hrs yet):
When I was 13-14, my dad made me go to a dance because he thought I was gay. He said if I went and danced with a girl, he would buy me a GameCube. So I went and sat there and drank a lot of punch and told him I danced with a girl named (?) and I got a GameCube. (Then in response to Dodie/other-girl's horrified concern): Because America!

So yeah his family (or dad at least) sound like stereotypical douchebags who wanted to force their kid to be 'normal'. No wonder he wants to stay out of America so desperately. Also might explain his general air of bitterness.. Does anybody else see that in him? I found his appearance on Cereal Time kind of awkward and he seemed sort of negative, like just his general vibe. Or maybe it's just me projecting that onto him because I don't like him that much. Idk, maybe I'll rewatch.

Thanks for transcribing the snapchat story fancybum, I missed it!
Yeah, it makes more sense why he was so determined to stay in the UK and get the visa. Also kinda gives idea about his obsession with LoTR where the idea of 'home' is a big subject (or maybe I'm projecting). Being so active on social media and in general, he managed to stay quiet about personal stuff. He's going to his homestate this summer to renew his driving license, let's see how that goes. (I'm not really expecting anything, just curious.)

I sensed some awkwardness on Cereal Time too, but I suppose it was partly because he's not close friends with Charlie or Jimmy? Some of their previous guests were pretty awkward too (e.g. Lex), maybe they are not that great at making people comfortabe haha. Didn't see bitterness though.
User avatar
vincentian
sad dimple
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:49 am

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by fancybum » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Image

Interesting snapchat for Father's Day. Asshole dad confirmed then.
vincentian wrote:He's going to his homestate this summer to renew his driving license, let's see how that goes. (I'm not really expecting anything, just curious.)

Yeah he mentioned he'd be visiting his hometown after Vidcon, wonder if he'll see his family (and if so, whether he'd mention much about it). I understand if it's too personal, but I think videos on how to navigate difficult family relationships could be helpful to younger viewers (probably any age really), I'd watch it. It would be a fine line between talking about your own experience and possibly trashing a family member though so probably more trouble than it's worth in most cases. Oh well.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Image
User avatar
fancybum
cat whiskers
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:06 pm
Location: bork

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by lazy_egg » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:40 am

I sort of liked him a lot for some time but it seems like lately he doesn't have any good new ideas (don't get me started on the pseudo-deep Connor-Franta-like video ugh)and just does pun q&as and the UK vs. US videos that started getting boring after about the second one, bc guess what, they're not that different after all and I don't really care about little things that might even differ in the country itself. His travel vlogs have also become a bit too much and he doesn't do much apart from walking and talking, showing his bedroom and filming his food.
(Another reason for unsubbing is his really sad obsession with d&p but that has already been talked about here more than enough)
User avatar
lazy_egg
squish
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:32 am

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by wtfamidoinghere » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 am

i don't like his main channel for the reason stated above. I get that those US vs. UK videos get good views, but they bore me. And his inability to stop mentioning deppy or at least contain his bitterness doesn't help my opinion of him.

But i really like his travel channel. I wish he had his drone in Peru, the country has such amazing vegetation and scenery (no idea if those are the correct english words to discribe what i mean, oh well) that it's a shame he couldn't show some other perspectives.
What bothers me is that he does also spend a lot of time (or at least it feels like it) talking about how he tries to upload and finding wifi etc. It's a waste of time in my opinion. If the hotel wifi sucks, then just wait untill there's better wifi at the airport, the next hotel or something. There's no need to upload immediately imo, so it seems like such a waste of time where he could film something actually interesting. Unless he has some deadlines, but if contiki has a deadline for vlogs to upload, they should provide wifi :shrug:
But still, i prefer his travel vlogs to most other people's, i don't watch that many besides him.
I don't even mind the puns, but i wonder sometimes if the people around him get tired of it when he films their reaction to his puns :lol:
User avatar
wtfamidoinghere
sad dimple
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:02 am
Location: Bavaria
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by sweetmm » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:30 pm

The only reason he did not bring a drone to Peru is because their airport will confiscate it; PVP tried to smuggle in and got caught and got theirs taken away :?
Image
User avatar
sweetmm
angel bean
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: GMT +8
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by majitzu » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:54 pm

I inly watched his Peru travel vlogs because I'm from there. I think he is a good guy but it doesn't interest me
Image
User avatar
majitzu
trash
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:22 pm
Location: South America

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by wtfamidoinghere » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:51 am

sweetmm wrote:The only reason he did not bring a drone to Peru is because their airport will confiscate it; PVP tried to smuggle in and got caught and got theirs taken away :?

I know, i didn't mean to blame him for not bringing it. It's just sad because i think the footage could have been amazing :(
User avatar
wtfamidoinghere
sad dimple
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:02 am
Location: Bavaria
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by idk » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:23 am

i don't think anyone's posted this? also unsure whether to put this in the main thread or this one, but i'll stick it here

context: evan tweeted something, someone replied, he replied in turn with a reaction gif of dan to which she replied with 'you turnip' and he then wrote:


i'd love to know the message that warranted this response. i mean 'turnip' was one of dan's most favoured passionate passive aggressive insults of yesteryear... (espec. when you recall the contexts in which it was most used...)
User avatar
idk
sofa crease
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by eevee » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Oh gosh, being called a Turnip means you questioned Dan about phan or did something equally as dumb, that's never good.

Speaking of dumb things, I know this isn't new but I just found out about this today:



I did some googling and I found out that it's "proven to be fake" (obvs) but I'd like to know more of this story. Wtf was Evan thinking? How was it proven to be fake? Did everyone believe it at first?

Thanks :)
Image
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
User avatar
eevee
angel bean
 
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 10:26 am
Location: USA
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by stella » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:04 pm

eevee wrote:Oh gosh, being called a Turnip means you questioned Dan about phan or did something equally as dumb, that's never good.

Speaking of dumb things, I know this isn't new but I just found out about this today:



I did some googling and I found out that it's "proven to be fake" (obvs) but I'd like to know more of this story. Wtf was Evan thinking? How was it proven to be fake? Did everyone believe it at first?

Thanks :)


I think some people believed it, but this person made it: http://danisnotonfiredatingsite.tumblr.com/and I think people figured that out pretty quickly, although it still circulates on tumblr occasionally with people using it to claim phan is fake/broke up around that time. I feel like Evan knew it was fake and just did it to stir up drama but I don't have a source for that, it's just my feeling because it's so clearly fake. I don't know a whole lot, sorry!
Image
~previously known as stella2000~
I hardly ever comment, but rest assured I read every single post. I am a professional lurker.
User avatar
stella
living flop
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:33 pm
Location: probably the couch
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by human » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:39 am

Saw this and found it interesting. Glad to have it confirmed that editing deppy out is a thing he's constantly aware of lol. But I can't help but find it a bit silly to put so much energy into avoiding them, and his reasoning would make sense if he wasn't guilty of namedropping them for his own benefit when it suits him lol.

"I would rather disown all of you as a friend, than continue this moment"
User avatar
human
dan hand trash
dan hand trash
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:07 am
Location: London

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by anathema » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:23 am

human wrote:Saw this and found it interesting. Glad to have it confirmed that editing deppy out is a thing he's constantly aware of lol. But I can't help but find it a bit silly to put so much energy into avoiding them, and his reasoning would make sense if he wasn't guilty of namedropping them for his own benefit when it suits him lol.


It didn't seem to me like it takes a lot of energy to avoid filming them. Like, it wouldn't be that hard to make sure they're not in the background, would it? All it takes is a glance behind you to see who's standing there, and if they are there then all he has to do is turn the other direction and there you go, they're out of shot. But what I found interesting is that he doesn't seem to do this for any other YouTuber. I do feel like the phandom is quite bad about being all "DAN AND PHIL AT x:yz!!!!!" but I'm sure other YouTuber fandoms do the same thing. Does Evan just not care about them? Or is it not as much of a problem with other fandoms?
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
User avatar
anathema
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:10 pm
Location: hell
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by pearshaped34 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:22 pm

Considering Evan regularly tweets at them across a public forum him being the one talking about avoiding filming them in the background of videos as to not attract the phandom is quite rich.

As for whether they are easy to avoid well in most cases when youtubers capture them they are not just filming themselves but other youtubers so sometimes them changing angle would be awkwardly moving other people too which I personally kind of hope they don't and not just because I like to see D&P. The idea that a community built on people filming themselves all seriously go we'll wait for Dan and Phil (supposedly fellow vloggers) to move and/or moving themselves to film is just kind of sad to me. It just means they are so ridiculously distanced from the community they are supposed to be a part of.
Plus also D&P are humans and move so that could also be another avoiding issue. I'm not sure about Evan's stuff but I definitely recall watching some background D&P vlog footage where they walked into the shot.
User avatar
pearshaped34
procrastinator
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:42 am

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by human » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:25 am

Edit that phan out suggests that they're in the footage and it's a conscious effort to FCP them out lol. Which seems a lot of effort to go through, just so people will only watch your vlogs for you and not the people in them. He made it sound like he proof watches all of his vlogs to check there's no phan traces left before publishing hahaha. He is a funny stick though, I don't particularly dislike him. I just find his attitude about them a bit odd.
"I would rather disown all of you as a friend, than continue this moment"
User avatar
human
dan hand trash
dan hand trash
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:07 am
Location: London

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by anathema » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:10 pm


Image
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
User avatar
anathema
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:10 pm
Location: hell
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by spaceguitar » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Evan made an interesting video about content 'quality'. It's actually a lot like a few of the conversations that we have had regarding D+P's content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPV9LVewM0s&index=1&list=PL4ih7gaviWT6X6-hve4aBYBaFJUeV130n
User avatar
spaceguitar
#relatable
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:22 am
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by daphenaxa » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:14 am

spaceguitar wrote:Evan made an interesting video about content 'quality'. It's actually a lot like a few of the conversations that we have had regarding D+P's content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPV9LVewM0s&index=1&list=PL4ih7gaviWT6X6-hve4aBYBaFJUeV130n



I liked that. It was nicely done and said. I think it is a response to Hazel's moronic tweets from a few weeks ago, which I appreciate.

Also to that Lucy girl, you wish.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
User avatar
daphenaxa
blobfish
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:32 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by papierklemmen » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:37 am

anathema wrote:
Image


who.... even is this? that rumour must be deep underground i'd never heard of it :lol:
User avatar
papierklemmen
stress mushroom
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:04 am

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by starlight-still » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:16 am

After seeing some recent comments about him I decided to check out a few of his videos. First impressions? He's sorta styled himself as deppy's opinionated/expressive (as in getting into more personal stuff), blond, adventurous American alter ego, hasn't he (guys, tell me I'm not the only one who sees a strong resemblance to Phil there- look at the thumbnail for the 'Story of Jennifer' one and tell me that doesn't look like Phil). I don't hate him- actually, he has some interesting video topics that I might have to check out later. Keep in mind I haven't seen the stuff on Twitter and whatever faces he was making at SUTC didn't register since I didn't know who he was when I watched it. A lot of the YouTubers just don't appeal to me at all but he's one that I'd at least give a shot :shrug:
Image

Dan and Phil shimmer with starlight from within whenever they are together.
User avatar
starlight-still
procrastinator
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:30 pm
Location: The Second City
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by Reizam » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:23 am

Oof. This is pretty sad.

Reizam
delia smith’s placenta
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 am
Location: Canada

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by dollicious » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:39 pm

Reizam wrote:Oof. This is pretty sad.



i don’t usually watch evan, but i actually liked this video (kind of reminded me of the relationship i have with my dad so).

there is one thing i really didn’t like though. he mentioned using humor as a coping mechanism saying “you can’t say that, my dad just died." using humor as a coping mechanism is a very common and understandable thing to do but it seemed as if he was saying in this video that he was doing this before he could come to terms with it. in the last minute of the video where he says he “began to feel something and cry” 2 weeks after the fact, he probably accepted the death more and wouldn’t make jokes about it. i honestly liked the message he was trying to convey in the video a lot but he contradicts himself by continuing to joke about his dad’s death. obviously everyone deals with this kind of thing differently but i feel he somehow contradicts the sincerity of this video when he does continue to joke about it like he did today.

i’m going to put the jokes from twitter he and tomska made today under a spoiler because it is pretty long:

tom made a joke about the video evan posted to which evan didn't really seem to mind.


after other people reacted to tom's joke saying this comment was inappropriate he made a pun :facepalm:. after, connie also makes a joke about it being the new tag video :?.


then, sammy posts a picture of both evan and tom laughing about the "drama."


i know this is really long winded it just struck me the wrong way for him to continue to make jokes about it after watching the video :sideeye:.
do you like d&p?
Image
User avatar
dollicious
spork
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:10 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Other Youtubers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests