In-Depth Bants

Evan Edinger

Re: Evan Edinger

PostPosted by Birdie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:00 pm

I think if it's Evan's way of coping with his loss than that's okay. I just felt Tomska's joke was still a bit out of line, even though Evan seems to be okay with it. I feel like it's different for him to joke about it himself if it makes him feel better or helps him come to terms with what has happened but at the same time other people should maybe be a bit more considerate. This could have gone wrong easily. I don't know, Tomska's jokes (and the ones by other people following it) just rub me the wrong way in a way Evan's way of using humour as a coping mechanism didn't even though Evan seems to be okay with it.

That being sad, I like Evan's videos. He's funny and they're usually pretty thoughtful. I like Evan. I know a lot of you don't like him because of his attitude towards Dan and Phil but I don't think it's as bad these days (I wasn't around when the drama went down a few years ago though and I don't really know what exactly happened).
Birdie
living flop

Pronouns: they/them or she/her

PostPosted by flarequake » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:25 am

I just watched this and it's horribly sad that he can't do anything about it anymore. Knowing Tomska's humour, I'm sure it's all to cheer Evan up and so he knows his friends are there.
:instinct:
flarequake
woodland creature

Pronouns: She/her

PostPosted by Galactic-Howell » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:08 am

dollicious wrote:
Reizam wrote:Oof. This is pretty sad.

i don’t usually watch evan, but i actually liked this video (kind of reminded me of the relationship i have with my dad so).

there is one thing i really didn’t like though. he mentioned using humor as a coping mechanism saying “you can’t say that, my dad just died." using humor as a coping mechanism is a very common and understandable thing to do but it seemed as if he was saying in this video that he was doing this before he could come to terms with it. in the last minute of the video where he says he “began to feel something and cry” 2 weeks after the fact, he probably accepted the death more and wouldn’t make jokes about it. i honestly liked the message he was trying to convey in the video a lot but he contradicts himself by continuing to joke about his dad’s death. obviously everyone deals with this kind of thing differently but i feel he somehow contradicts the sincerity of this video when he does continue to joke about it like he did today.

i’m going to put the jokes from twitter he and tomska made today under a spoiler because it is pretty long:

tom made a joke about the video evan posted to which evan didn't really seem to mind.

after other people reacted to tom's joke saying this comment was inappropriate he made a pun :facepalm:. after, connie also makes a joke about it being the new tag video :?.

then, sammy posts a picture of both evan and tom laughing about the "drama."

i know this is really long winded it just struck me the wrong way for him to continue to make jokes about it after watching the video :sideeye:.

<3

This video struck a chord with me - I feel like this is one of the only times that we have really seen honest/open Evan. It was refreshing, even though the circumstances are awful.

Additionally, as someone who has a rocky relationship with their father (for entirely different reasons) I relate.
Galactic-Howell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Pronouns: she/her

PostPosted by dollicious » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:05 pm

i know i'm just being salty rn but evan "edit that phan out" edinger back at it with unnecessary d&p mention in his content :roll:.

i know other people have discussed this already, it just bothers me that he says he actively puts effort into editing out d&p so people watch his content for him and then instead goes out of his way to mention them all the time. this joke was literally 3 seconds of his vlog but it was so unnecessary smh.

"dan lester"
excuse the shitty screenshot, clip from at 2:29-2:32 in the video.
do you like d&p?
dollicious
spork

PostPosted by fancybum » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:04 pm

The thing with Evan isn't about avoiding mentioning D&P, it's just pettiness about views. On that vyou1 vid with Dan eating the ice cream, him and Dodie have (or at least had, I don't want to dig through all the comments to find them) comments going "this has X views? lolwut". The actual video of his that that clip was taken from has way less views (Dan licking ice cream has +330k views, Evan's vlog has 33k).

He'll mention D&P all damn day though, he just won't show them so his vids don't get co-opted by people that don't care about his actual content (but then again those people won't be watching or appreciating his work anyway, so I'm not sure what he's actually accomplishing. But whatevs).

Unrelated, but how bad is his video about his dad? Like hypothetically if I'm an easy crier and not doing well emotionally rn hypothetically, will it make me cry (and therefore I probably shouldn't watch it)? help me
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
fancybum
cat whiskers

PostPosted by sweetmm » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:41 pm

fancybum wrote:Unrelated, but how bad is his video about his dad? Like hypothetically if I'm an easy crier and not doing well emotionally rn hypothetically, will it make me cry (and therefore I probably shouldn't watch it)? help me

You may cry at the very end, he did.
sweetmm
angel bean

Pronouns: She/Her

PostPosted by hmm » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:55 am

papierklemmen wrote:
anathema wrote:

who.... even is this? that rumour must be deep underground i'd never heard of it :lol:

haha am a big fan of lucy moon's (highly recommend), but tbh have never heard her name in the same sentence as dan's so that tweet seems pretty attention seeking :sideeye:
hmm
drama llama

Pronouns: she/her

PostPosted by flarequake » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:05 am

hmm wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:
anathema wrote:

who.... even is this? that rumour must be deep underground i'd never heard of it :lol:

haha am a big fan of lucy moon's (highly recommend), but tbh have never heard her name in the same sentence as dan's so that tweet seems pretty attention seeking :sideeye:

I took that tweet as just an observation at how funny it is. I don't think every youtuber who ever mentions them is attention-seeking especially if it's just once. I don't get very deep in tumblr so I haven't seen what she's referring to either, but enough fics out there seem to bring in whoever, it seems possible.
:instinct:
flarequake
woodland creature

Pronouns: She/her

PostPosted by fancybum » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Ugh this guy. I don't have any time right now but I'm registering fresh annoyance for the public record. This fucking guy. I'm hardcore side-eyeing Tomska for hanging with him lately, like have more self respect please, I trusted him.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
fancybum
cat whiskers

PostPosted by buttrito » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:13 pm

just relating back to past comments in this thread im glad some ppl can relate to the cringe parts of evan.

I found him off of younow and really enjoyed his content but once he started with the dan and phil stuff and the whole pun branding it made me lose interest so fast.
buttrito
smol bean

Previous

Return to Other Youtubers