In-Depth Bants

Sociopolitical Issue thread

Re: Sociopolitical Issue thread

PostPosted by hmm » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:28 am

As an australian who lived through bloody tony abott's prime ministership, i feel like im in groundhog day uhhhh jesus
There are so many issues of trumps that i hate (super protectionist, sexist, racist, transphobic and homophobic) but i feel like the absolute worst thing is he will reverse even the little things we have done for the environment- it took 8 years of obama to get the paris accord, after 4 years of trump it will take decades to even begin reversing climate change. Our planet is fucked. :sideeye:
hmm
drama llama

Pronouns: she/her

PostPosted by IckleMissMayhem » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 am

IckleMissMayhem
full-time internet hobo

PostPosted by azara » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:47 pm

Putin DID have a party! Complete with a translator and lots of ornate gold ceilings:

Edit: not sure how to do the Youtube embed thing. Here's the link instead, sorry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOD9oAtZeEw
azara
tol bean

PostPosted by hannah » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:56 pm

azara wrote:Putin DID have a party! Complete with a translator and lots of ornate gold ceilings:

fixed it for you :D (just delete the "s" in https and put the link inside of two bars :
[youtube]link here[/youtube]
hannah
glabella

PostPosted by azara » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks, hannah! I did use the square brackets, but didn't delete the 's'.

Not sure many people here are all that interested in global power politics, as opposed to social change/election, but Putin's comments about being willing to return to normalised relations with the US (which he happily blames America for, lol) struck me as quite interesting. He's been pushing very anti-American rhetoric for the last couple of years in particular, so this was a bit of a surprise, especially in such a short speech. I wonder how much of what he was saying is true. I notice he was careful to point out how difficult it would be, several times, so definitely not committing himself to anything.

Thoughts?
azara
tol bean

PostPosted by mio » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:00 am

I've been thinking about this topic since this video was posted on the main thread

It's such a load of bullshit to make up fancy words like "post-empire" to basically say "I'm rich and white and I don't care about real life issues and I will stop treating people with respect".
Why do so many pretend so called "political correctness" will be the end of the world, when all people claim is simply basic human decency. Is it that hard??

(It doesn't help that Bret Easton Ellis is pretty much the worst and people named in that video for being "raw" and "real" are just fucking assholes like Charlie Sheen)
But OH NO we need to protect the rights dick creators to continue making stupid jokes. That's SO MUCH more important than the real lives of millions of actual people.

ALSO this whole theory makes no fucking sense, like since when did we live in a society ruled by oppressive PCness for the last 60 years? You mean the same period where in many "western" countries woman weren't allowed to vote, there was still segregation in place, and being gay was a crime you could go to jail for? Yes right.

I'd appreciate people being more open about their feelings and opinions without worrying about their material existance. But in which world is that something that is happening right now?
When a single tweet can cause a global shitstorm or (talkign about ordinary people's problems) the things you share on facebook can get you fired or never get a job in the first place.

The "empire" is still in place, just like it has been since the beginning of modern society and the commercialization of every aspect of our lives. Nowadays we just all work for it for free.
mio
hobbit hair

PostPosted by Catallena » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:45 am

mio wrote:I've been thinking about this topic since this video was posted on the main thread

It's such a load of bullshit to make up fancy words like "post-empire" to basically say "I'm rich and white and I don't care about real life issues and I will stop treating people with respect".
Why do so many pretend so called "political correctness" will be the end of the world, when all people claim is simply basic human decency. Is it that hard??

(It doesn't help that Bret Easton Ellis is pretty much the worst and people named in that video for being "raw" and "real" are just fucking assholes like Charlie Sheen)
But OH NO we need to protect the rights dick creators to continue making stupid jokes. That's SO MUCH more important than the real lives of millions of actual people.

ALSO this whole theory makes no fucking sense, like since when did we live in a society ruled by oppressive PCness for the last 60 years? You mean the same period where in many "western" countries woman weren't allowed to vote, there was still segregation in place, and being gay was a crime you could go to jail for? Yes right.

I'd appreciate people being more open about their feelings and opinions without worrying about their material existance. But in which world is that something that is happening right now?
When a single tweet can cause a global shitstorm or (talkign about ordinary people's problems) the things you share on facebook can get you fired or never get a job in the first place.

The "empire" is still in place, just like it has been since the beginning of modern society and the commercialization of every aspect of our lives. Nowadays we just all work for it for free.

Like I said in the main thread, I've noticed a trend. It's not only a thing among YouTubers either. These are all people who previously held the exact same fucked up beliefs and values about minorities as they do now. They used to be open about this. Then later when the left side did really break through on the internet (popularizing leftist movements like feminism), to save their own asses and careers, they became more progressive for the public but never actually held any of these beliefs.

Now that the alt-right (look it's another made up word, they're just neo nazis and white supremacists) are rising up and that moldy old cheeto got into the White House though, they suddenly feel safe and validated again. They no longer feel like they have to be ashamed for their backwards views and will openly express them. And their years of frustration about not being the center of the universe for once and actually having to acknowledge women, LGBT+ers and PoC has only made them more extreme. They were previously so used to everything and everyone catering to them that they actually think that by that not being the case 1 out of 10 times, they're just as oppressed as minorities. They literally don't see their own privilege. No one calls people out on their bullshit anymore because 'think of the poor cishet white people ;_; they'll be upset if you call them racist and that makes you the bad one!'

I think the worst thing is that this is being normalized by media who are so blinded by staying 'unbiased' that they'll let stuff like this go. Trump was also normalized by media who were trying to find a reason for his success and then came up with the 'working class white people are poor' excuse + Jimmy Fallon and SNL giving him spots on their shows that made him seem nice, fun and sympathetic. I guess you could call that 'false positivity' (though that's obviously not the actual part the makers of this video are against, they're just against the left side of narative) but people like Philip DeFranco went the other way and made Trump and Clinton to be just as bad as the other which was obviously untrue and just more ~unbiased~ bullshit. But hey, at least it makes the Trump fans come back to your videos giving you more sweet YouTube money to live in your privileged white bubble with. :thumb: :sideeye:

i feel like this post was an mess but i'm tired and have a lot of feelings. my tolerance for bullshit like this went from low to below zero these past few weeks.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Catallena
flower crown

Previous

Return to General