In-Depth Bants

Dan and Phil political/social comments

A place to compile and archive information for reference/analysis.

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by Ticia » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:22 am

Image
Ticia
haru pillow
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Europe
Pronouns: her / she

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by anathema » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:01 pm


:thanks: I also tracked down the vyou where Dan talks about being agnostic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9KygzZ_qmhRTXkxU1FUa3B1Nms/view

He doesn't actually say "agnostic" but that's what his views would be categorized under. Personally I always found what he said to be terribly misinformed though :lol: like, Dan, you do realize that science doesn't have to reject God? And vice versa? And Christianity isn't the idea that there's a God "judging you" :roll:
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
anathema
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:10 pm
Location: hell
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:12 pm

anathema wrote:

:thanks: I also tracked down the vyou where Dan talks about being agnostic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9KygzZ_qmhRTXkxU1FUa3B1Nms/view

He doesn't actually say "agnostic" but that's what his views would be categorized under. Personally I always found what he said to be terribly misinformed though :lol: like, Dan, you do realize that science doesn't have to reject God? And vice versa? And Christianity isn't the idea that there's a God "judging you" :roll:

As Dan mentioned he was raised by his Christian grandmother ( I'm speaking from personal experience from a similar situation, so I don't think this has much relation to what Dan may ACTUALLY feel but I thought that I might as well share.) He honestly seems to have been uncomfortable with being mindful of what may upset his conservative Grandmother and after a while changing behavior build resentment, which becomes targeted towards something like in Dan's case religion itself. While lack of scientific fact and God "judging you" may not seem like a good reason for dismissing it, in Dan's case it just may be a cover over various other reasons especially regarding any inhibitions he may have felt with his family.

He discusses his grandmother being horrified when he showed her Moulin Rouge here @4.00

and here mentioned that his Grandmother being upset that Dan on Sundays went to theatre instead of Church @1.41

I don't claim to know anything about what Dan actually feels. However I feel that a lot of the comments he made was just based around childhood experience with a religious guardian who we do not even know to what degree held religion above what Dan truly felt idk I just thought I would contribute that :backawayslowly:
000dia000
blobfish
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:17 am
Location: Ireland

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by coffeepenguin » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:11 pm

To add a thing to the Christianity discussion, I was rewatching the Super Amazing Project the other day and the first episode of the third season really stood out to me. It was uploaded on September 24th, 2012.



So, at around 3:00 you have the Quirky Queation Questions segment which is a game with four rounds where Dan reads two creation myths and Phil (and the audience) has to guess which one is real and which one is made up by Dan. At the end, they talk about how all these myths are crazy and then they say this:

Dan: come on Christianity, you need to up your production budget!
Phil: At least.
Dan: [says something about how he expects "Bible 2" to contain a thing from a myth he's just read]
Phil: I heard they release Bible 2 in 3D... 4D... Ok I've offended everyone, sorry

I found it funny because Phil is clearly uncomfortable about it being possibly seen as offensive, but he still can't stop himself from making this joke. And it isn't something a religious persons would say, so whatever his background is I don't think he considered himself Christian in 2012.

Bonus re:opinions on politics, at 6:30 you have the scores for the game:
4/4 - supreme lord of the universe
3/4 - moderately intelligent human (what Phil got)
2/4 - slowly deflating beach ball
1/4 - Mitt Romney
Spoon the monkey!

Image

Also, still waiting for Dan Howell to be responsible and inspire my lesbian hook up~
User avatar
coffeepenguin
living flop
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:27 am
Location: France
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by anathema » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:38 pm

coffeepenguin wrote:To add a thing to the Christianity discussion, I was rewatching the Super Amazing Project the other day and the first episode of the third season really stood out to me. It was uploaded on September 24th, 2012.



So, at around 3:00 you have the Quirky Queation Questions segment which is a game with four rounds where Dan reads two creation myths and Phil (and the audience) has to guess which one is real and which one is made up by Dan. At the end, they talk about how all these myths are crazy and then they say this:

Dan: come on Christianity, you need to up your production budget!
Phil: At least.
Dan: [says something about how he expects "Bible 2" to contain a thing from a myth he's just read]
Phil: I heard they release Bible 2 in 3D... 4D... Ok I've offended everyone, sorry

I found it funny because Phil is clearly uncomfortable about it being possibly seen as offensive, but he still can't stop himself from making this joke. And it isn't something a religious persons would say, so whatever his background is I don't think he considered himself Christian in 2012.

Bonus re:opinions on politics, at 6:30 you have the scores for the game:
4/4 - supreme lord of the universe
3/4 - moderately intelligent human (what Phil got)
2/4 - slowly deflating beach ball
1/4 - Mitt Romney

I wouldn't rule out Phil considering himself Christian in 2012 because he said that :shrug: If he is Christian, he seems fairly lax about it, so I don't see why he would have a problem with saying that. (And, I mean, I'm Christian, but I think what he said was actually really funny, so ?). But I do find the jump cut right before he said that interesting. I wonder what was said, especially because whatever was cut out gave context to Phil saying "at least". (Also, 1/4 = Mitt Romney :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:)
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
anathema
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:10 pm
Location: hell
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by spider » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 pm

DINOF I Nearly Blinded Myself

5:44 'Now in the U.K. despite various other fuck ups one thing we've definitely got right is free health care and there is a service where you can call a number to get free medical advice in situations that aren't necessarily an emergency.'
6:03 'Now I love this service ok don't get me wrong. I've used it before. It's very helpful. Protect the N.H.S. and all that.'
User avatar
spider
blaze it
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:31 am

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by nephilimcat » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:40 pm

I read this whole thread but I don't remember if anyone mentioned Phil talking about him using "girl" products in a liveshow:
2:16-2:45



I especially like him saying "It's all the same stuff, isn't it?
pulvis et umbra sumus
User avatar
nephilimcat
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:52 am
Location: Germany
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by daphenaxa » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:05 am

small roundup of recent Dan's live shows. Overall some common themes like Dan's feeling important debates are trolled by drama, uniformed opinions and distractions, the importance of facts over opinions, the importance and interest of politics itself:


3:02 joking about Trump winning the presidential debate
12:24 Dan's idea about fact checking the candidates statements during the debate + talking about the importance of politics and how politics is actually super interesting
31:31 Pumpkin spice/capitalism tangent "slave to brands"
58:47 Avatar the last airbender being quite progressive but still problematic on some parts


21:34 Brangelina split talk/celebrity culture
35:09 "Clinton is the less world destroying choice."
49:04 Australia being gender-roley/ stereotypically masculine
53:52 Do what you want with your identity online, be true to yourself


21:15 - Pepe story/white supremacy and the inaccuracy/non-professionalism of the media


21:16 "youtube is over party" public debates are ruined by uninformed opinions and drama
33:02 gender roles internalised
37:52 StandUp2Cancer white photoshoot


38:22 UK is a mess, US not much better
49:43 Black lives matter discussion/trolling and distraction polluting real debates
51:18 avoiding to talk about brexit referendum
51:42 the internet amplifying social issues talks, not necessarily good or bad
58:08 too many opinions not enough facts


50:50 he is super into political news since these American elections. Politics is our lives and our freedom. He wants to talk about it more but don't feel informed enough.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
daphenaxa
blobfish
 
Posts: 680
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:32 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by emerald » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:21 am

I can't find the liveshow in question but I remember Phil recommending some show or movie in a liveshow and mentioning that it had strong female characters. Does anyone else remember?
cordless hammer drills
emerald
drama llama
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:23 am
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan and Phil political/social comments

PostPosted by oqua » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:04 am

emerald wrote:I can't find the liveshow in question but I remember Phil recommending some show or movie in a liveshow and mentioning that it had strong female characters. Does anyone else remember?

Battlestar Galactica!

He talked about it in his October 2nd liveshow at around 23:00.
“Child.”
-Kathryn Lester
User avatar
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:05 am
Location: California, USA
Pronouns: she/her

Previous

Return to Compilations and Reference

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests