In-Depth Bants

Offtopic thread

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by ironic » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:06 am

Everything about it is horrible and terrifying.
I took a quick look on the news in our media and saw so many homophobes (AND xenophobes) in the comments. It makes me feel sick.
I hope you and your close ones are all safe.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
ironic
sad dimple

PostPosted by coffee pig » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm still so deeply saddened by what happened in Orlando. I can't even find the words to express how I feel about what happened.

On a more cheerful note, I went to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in London on Saturday and it was in one word, incredible. It exceeded my expectations. I'm going to see Part 2 on Tuesday and I can't wait.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
coffee pig
woodland creature

Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

PostPosted by loststars » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:03 pm

What happened is truly devastating. I really hope that nothing like this occurs ever again but the sad truth is that those horrifying incidents never stop..

Something to lighten the mood - I just saw the pap pics of Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston and it's the most random and hilarious thing. I'm kind of a fan of his and tsktsktsk I'm disappointed lmao.
(c)itscomicdans
loststars
living flop

Pronouns: she/her

PostPosted by Anonymousse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:21 am

I miss coffee pig :?

:daddy:
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

Anonymousse
flower crown

PostPosted by Ticia » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:06 am

I hereby summon the lazy, music devotees of this beloved forum and ask: do you know of any website like 8tracks or Pandora where you can listen to playlists made by users, that is not Spotify?
Ticia
haru pillow

Pronouns: her / she

PostPosted by GreenLight » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:33 pm

Reviving this good ol' thread!
Looking for some advice from the Londoners who frequent this site....my boyfriend, me, and another couple are planning a week trip to London, and none of us have ever been there. Are there any must dos? We are staying in fairly central London, but I'm really just looking for any ideas anyone has.
GreenLight
smol bean

Pronouns: he/him

PostPosted by eevee » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:06 pm

GreenLight wrote:Reviving this good ol' thread!
Looking for some advice from the Londoners who frequent this site....my boyfriend, me, and another couple are planning a week trip to London, and none of us have ever been there. Are there any must dos? We are staying in fairly central London, but I'm really just looking for any ideas anyone has.

quoting this so it'll show up in my recently posted. I'm studying abroad in London next semester and would love to see the advice as well!
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
eevee
angel bean

Pronouns: She/her

PostPosted by corn flakes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:20 am

eevee wrote:

quoting this so it'll show up in my recently posted. I'm studying abroad in London next semester and would love to see the advice as well!

Adding myself: I would like to study/make a period of practice next year in the Uk or Germany. Unfortunately the few information I have for GB makes it clear that I can only do it in my final year (the next one) and I need a IELTS of 7/7.5 ( I have a grade C CAE certificate and some universities take only IELTS), so my application time frame is quite small. If someone have some tips or lives there I would love a pm. :love1:
Regarding germany I'm going to take a course to achieve a B1 by next summer, then an intensive course/abroad period to have a B2, from what I read as a student in my final year I should be taken, problem is that I can't understand to who I have to ask, again I would love if someone from there could pm me. <3
sorry if my post is a mess , I tried to search some information on internet, to ask on fb on some groups but I'm quite confused and my uni doesn't have an info office for this kind of things.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
corn flakes
ar·tic·u·late

PostPosted by IckleMissMayhem » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:44 am

Not from London, but 1, download Citymapper onto your phone, and 2, get an Oystercard, it makes all the public transport cheaper and easier to use.

Touristy places? Off the top of my head; Tower of London, London Eye, Madame Tussaud's, (Changing the Guard at) Buckingham Palace, Regent's Park/London Zoo, take your pick of any of the museums/galleries...
IckleMissMayhem
full-time internet hobo

PostPosted by LeftHandedism » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm not from London, but I lived there for six months last century and have visited frequently since.

Absolutely get an Oyster Card (especially since you can't use cash on buses anymore). I haven't used Citymapper, but there is also a great journey-planning website/app at https://tfl.gov.uk/

The Tower of London is the #1 place to go. Other places to consider include Big Ben/Westminster Abbey (though it's really crowded and expensive!), Hyde Park (as seen in "Dan and Phil play Pokemon GO! #2"), and the British Museum (it's free and has amazing mummies and little things like the Rosetta Stone; also, go to the tea room up at the top--and get the best Cream Tea in London).

An excellent small museum (you can cover it in a couple of hours) is the Museum of London. If you're willing to go a bit out of town (still within the reach of your Oyster card!), go to Kew Gardens (arguably best botanical garden in the world) and Hampton Court (breathtaking massive palace of the Tudors with lots of interpreters/re-enacters, very cool hedge maze, more gardens).

You can also even take a day trip by coach to Bath and Stonehenge--kind of crazy but Stonehenge is awesome and Bath is pretty cool too.

And don't forget to just take some time to wander around, especially a bit off the tourist path, to get a sense of the real London. The parks (like Hyde Park) are a good option--you can pretty much cross London just going from park to park, and you'll find more Londoners than tourists. Or walk along or across the Thames.

Whatever you do, it will almost certainly be rewarding. London is a great place!
"Life is all about finding the right people." - Dan Howell

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
LeftHandedism
living flop

PostPosted by Amiaw » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:33 am

corn flakes wrote:
eevee wrote:

Adding myself: I would like to study/make a period of practice next year in the Uk or Germany. Unfortunately the few information I have for GB makes it clear that I can only do it in my final year (the next one) and I need a IELTS of 7/7.5 ( I have a grade C CAE certificate and some universities take only IELTS), so my application time frame is quite small. If someone have some tips or lives there I would love a pm. :love1:
Regarding germany I'm going to take a course to achieve a B1 by next summer, then an intensive course/abroad period to have a B2, from what I read as a student in my final year I should be taken, problem is that I can't understand to who I have to ask, again I would love if someone from there could pm me. <3
sorry if my post is a mess , I tried to search some information on internet, to ask on fb on some groups but I'm quite confused and my uni doesn't have an info office for this kind of things.

Adding myself to this conversation- I'm going to London for the first time in April. Any advice on where to stay? I'm leaning towards Camden Town but am open to suggestions- just need easy to get around, not too crazy expensive, and a fun area
Amiaw
sad dimple

Previous

Return to General