In-Depth Bants

Offtopic thread

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by ironic » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:06 am

Everything about it is horrible and terrifying.
I took a quick look on the news in our media and saw so many homophobes (AND xenophobes) in the comments. It makes me feel sick.
I hope you and your close ones are all safe.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
Image
User avatar
ironic
sad dimple
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:57 am

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by coffee pig » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm still so deeply saddened by what happened in Orlando. I can't even find the words to express how I feel about what happened.

On a more cheerful note, I went to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in London on Saturday and it was in one word, incredible. It exceeded my expectations. I'm going to see Part 2 on Tuesday and I can't wait.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
User avatar
coffee pig
woodland creature
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am
Location: London
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by loststars » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:03 pm

What happened is truly devastating. I really hope that nothing like this occurs ever again but the sad truth is that those horrifying incidents never stop..



Something to lighten the mood - I just saw the pap pics of Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston and it's the most random and hilarious thing. I'm kind of a fan of his and tsktsktsk I'm disappointed lmao.
Image
(c)itscomicdans
User avatar
loststars
living flop
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:02 am
Location: Netherlands
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by Anonymousse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:21 am

I miss coffee pig :?

:daddy:
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

User avatar
Anonymousse
flower crown
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Eastern Europe
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by Ticia » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:06 am

I hereby summon the lazy, music devotees of this beloved forum and ask: do you know of any website like 8tracks or Pandora where you can listen to playlists made by users, that is not Spotify?
Image
User avatar
Ticia
haru pillow
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:19 am
Location: Europe
Pronouns: her / she

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by GreenLight » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:33 pm

Reviving this good ol' thread!
Looking for some advice from the Londoners who frequent this site....my boyfriend, me, and another couple are planning a week trip to London, and none of us have ever been there. Are there any must dos? We are staying in fairly central London, but I'm really just looking for any ideas anyone has.
Image
User avatar
GreenLight
smol bean
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:08 am
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by eevee » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:06 pm

GreenLight wrote:Reviving this good ol' thread!
Looking for some advice from the Londoners who frequent this site....my boyfriend, me, and another couple are planning a week trip to London, and none of us have ever been there. Are there any must dos? We are staying in fairly central London, but I'm really just looking for any ideas anyone has.


quoting this so it'll show up in my recently posted. I'm studying abroad in London next semester and would love to see the advice as well!
Image
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
User avatar
eevee
angel bean
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 10:26 am
Location: USA
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by corn flakes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:20 am

eevee wrote:
GreenLight wrote:Reviving this good ol' thread!
Looking for some advice from the Londoners who frequent this site....my boyfriend, me, and another couple are planning a week trip to London, and none of us have ever been there. Are there any must dos? We are staying in fairly central London, but I'm really just looking for any ideas anyone has.


quoting this so it'll show up in my recently posted. I'm studying abroad in London next semester and would love to see the advice as well!


Adding myself: I would like to study/make a period of practice next year in the Uk or Germany. Unfortunately the few information I have for GB makes it clear that I can only do it in my final year (the next one) and I need a IELTS of 7/7.5 ( I have a grade C CAE certificate and some universities take only IELTS), so my application time frame is quite small. If someone have some tips or lives there I would love a pm. :love1:
Regarding germany I'm going to take a course to achieve a B1 by next summer, then an intensive course/abroad period to have a B2, from what I read as a student in my final year I should be taken, problem is that I can't understand to who I have to ask, again I would love if someone from there could pm me. <3
sorry if my post is a mess , I tried to search some information on internet, to ask on fb on some groups but I'm quite confused and my uni doesn't have an info office for this kind of things.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
User avatar
corn flakes
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:26 am

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by IckleMissMayhem » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:44 am

Not from London, but 1, download Citymapper onto your phone, and 2, get an Oystercard, it makes all the public transport cheaper and easier to use.

Touristy places? Off the top of my head; Tower of London, London Eye, Madame Tussaud's, (Changing the Guard at) Buckingham Palace, Regent's Park/London Zoo, take your pick of any of the museums/galleries...
User avatar
IckleMissMayhem
full-time internet hobo
 
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:59 pm
Location: UK
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by LeftHandedism » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm not from London, but I lived there for six months last century and have visited frequently since.

Absolutely get an Oyster Card (especially since you can't use cash on buses anymore). I haven't used Citymapper, but there is also a great journey-planning website/app at https://tfl.gov.uk/

The Tower of London is the #1 place to go. Other places to consider include Big Ben/Westminster Abbey (though it's really crowded and expensive!), Hyde Park (as seen in "Dan and Phil play Pokemon GO! #2"), and the British Museum (it's free and has amazing mummies and little things like the Rosetta Stone; also, go to the tea room up at the top--and get the best Cream Tea in London).

An excellent small museum (you can cover it in a couple of hours) is the Museum of London. If you're willing to go a bit out of town (still within the reach of your Oyster card!), go to Kew Gardens (arguably best botanical garden in the world) and Hampton Court (breathtaking massive palace of the Tudors with lots of interpreters/re-enacters, very cool hedge maze, more gardens).

You can also even take a day trip by coach to Bath and Stonehenge--kind of crazy but Stonehenge is awesome and Bath is pretty cool too.

And don't forget to just take some time to wander around, especially a bit off the tourist path, to get a sense of the real London. The parks (like Hyde Park) are a good option--you can pretty much cross London just going from park to park, and you'll find more Londoners than tourists. Or walk along or across the Thames.

Whatever you do, it will almost certainly be rewarding. London is a great place!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
User avatar
LeftHandedism
sad dimple
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: California
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by Amiaw » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:33 am

corn flakes wrote:
eevee wrote:
GreenLight wrote:Reviving this good ol' thread!
Looking for some advice from the Londoners who frequent this site....my boyfriend, me, and another couple are planning a week trip to London, and none of us have ever been there. Are there any must dos? We are staying in fairly central London, but I'm really just looking for any ideas anyone has.


quoting this so it'll show up in my recently posted. I'm studying abroad in London next semester and would love to see the advice as well!


Adding myself: I would like to study/make a period of practice next year in the Uk or Germany. Unfortunately the few information I have for GB makes it clear that I can only do it in my final year (the next one) and I need a IELTS of 7/7.5 ( I have a grade C CAE certificate and some universities take only IELTS), so my application time frame is quite small. If someone have some tips or lives there I would love a pm. :love1:
Regarding germany I'm going to take a course to achieve a B1 by next summer, then an intensive course/abroad period to have a B2, from what I read as a student in my final year I should be taken, problem is that I can't understand to who I have to ask, again I would love if someone from there could pm me. <3
sorry if my post is a mess , I tried to search some information on internet, to ask on fb on some groups but I'm quite confused and my uni doesn't have an info office for this kind of things.


Adding myself to this conversation- I'm going to London for the first time in April. Any advice on where to stay? I'm leaning towards Camden Town but am open to suggestions- just need easy to get around, not too crazy expensive, and a fun area
User avatar
Amiaw
sad dimple
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by CallMeAyana » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:37 am

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but... I have a question. I've seen this argument quite often, and I know people irl who supports this. I'm trying very hard to see where they're coming from, but... I can't. While I do respect their opinion, I wouldn't say that I have agreed to them. EVER.
So... here's the question: Why is it that some people who support LGBT-identifying people don't agree with non-heterosexual relationships? Like... I have one friend who has that view, and I have another one who had that view, but she seemed to change her mind about it (she read an article about heteronormativity or something), and saw where I was coming from. Also, while I do agree that people are more accepting of the LGBT community now, some of those people aren't as accepting of non-heterosexual couples.
...Sorry for the rant, but I am just genuinely curious about this since I just recently realized how prevalent it is (of what I've seen, anyways). I've read a comments section on Facebook on how other people support LGBT-identifying people, but don't support non-heterosexual relationships. Some of these people also gave very... passive-agressive (imo) replies, like... "Let them just be themselves. In the end, they'll be the ones who will suffer, anyways" like... that's pretty passive-agressive, right?
Image
3... 2... 1...
WE'RE GOING DOWN, DOWN, IN AN EARLIER ROUND. AND, SUGAR WE'RE GOING DOWN SWINGING.
User avatar
CallMeAyana
sad dimple
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:14 pm
Location: Somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle
Pronouns: Phan Trash

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by teamug » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:29 am

CallMeAyana wrote:
I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but... I have a question. I've seen this argument quite often, and I know people irl who supports this. I'm trying very hard to see where they're coming from, but... I can't. While I do respect their opinion, I wouldn't say that I have agreed to them. EVER.
So... here's the question: Why is it that some people who support LGBT-identifying people don't agree with non-heterosexual relationships? Like... I have one friend who has that view, and I have another one who had that view, but she seemed to change her mind about it (she read an article about heteronormativity or something), and saw where I was coming from. Also, while I do agree that people are more accepting of the LGBT community now, some of those people aren't as accepting of non-heterosexual couples.
...Sorry for the rant, but I am just genuinely curious about this since I just recently realized how prevalent it is (of what I've seen, anyways). I've read a comments section on Facebook on how other people support LGBT-identifying people, but don't support non-heterosexual relationships. Some of these people also gave very... passive-agressive (imo) replies, like... "Let them just be themselves. In the end, they'll be the ones who will suffer, anyways" like... that's pretty passive-agressive, right?


In my experience it has to do with words and actions. Let's say FTH is one of the people you describe. FTH is fine when someone talks about LGBT+, but seeing a LGBT+ person act as an LGBT+ will bring out their true nature. Words they can handle, seeing the truth of these words..not so much. The (stupid) people who tolerate up to a point, but won't respect a person who acts on their words. Tbh they aren't even tolerant, if they can't accept the whole person, relationships, attractions, flirting, dating, and all the emotions that come with love, if someone can't see that it isn't exclusive to a single orientation, they're missing out on more than just acceptance of non-het relationships. It'll come down to religion, natural order, marriage is meant for a man and woman because they can carry on the species. It's ingrained in them, so they are superficially supportive, but don't think further on the subject of love, relationships, family, and what constitutes them. (also .. they don't think because they don't know, what is important is do they want to know?)
And, "In the end, they'll be the ones who will suffer, anyways", isn't merely passive-aggressive, it's intimidation, a religious threat to manipulate orientation.
bit of a crap comment to an important question, sorry.
User avatar
teamug
living flop
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:41 am

Re: Offtopic thread

PostPosted by CallMeAyana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:17 am

teamug wrote:
CallMeAyana wrote:
I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but... I have a question. I've seen this argument quite often, and I know people irl who supports this. I'm trying very hard to see where they're coming from, but... I can't. While I do respect their opinion, I wouldn't say that I have agreed to them. EVER.
So... here's the question: Why is it that some people who support LGBT-identifying people don't agree with non-heterosexual relationships? Like... I have one friend who has that view, and I have another one who had that view, but she seemed to change her mind about it (she read an article about heteronormativity or something), and saw where I was coming from. Also, while I do agree that people are more accepting of the LGBT community now, some of those people aren't as accepting of non-heterosexual couples.
...Sorry for the rant, but I am just genuinely curious about this since I just recently realized how prevalent it is (of what I've seen, anyways). I've read a comments section on Facebook on how other people support LGBT-identifying people, but don't support non-heterosexual relationships. Some of these people also gave very... passive-aggressive (imo) replies, like... "Let them just be themselves. In the end, they'll be the ones who will suffer, anyways" like... that's pretty passive-aggressive, right?


In my experience it has to do with words and actions. Let's say FTH is one of the people you describe. FTH is fine when someone talks about LGBT+, but seeing a LGBT+ person act as an LGBT+ will bring out their true nature. Words they can handle, seeing the truth of these words..not so much. The (stupid) people who tolerate up to a point, but won't respect a person who acts on their words. Tbh they aren't even tolerant, if they can't accept the whole person, relationships, attractions, flirting, dating, and all the emotions that come with love, if someone can't see that it isn't exclusive to a single orientation, they're missing out on more than just acceptance of non-het relationships. It'll come down to religion, natural order, marriage is meant for a man and woman because they can carry on the species. It's ingrained in them, so they are superficially supportive, but don't think further on the subject of love, relationships, family, and what constitutes them. (also .. they don't think because they don't know, what is important is do they want to know?)
And, "In the end, they'll be the ones who will suffer, anyways", isn't merely passive-aggressive, it's intimidation, a religious threat to manipulate orientation.
bit of a crap comment to an important question, sorry.

Thank you for your insight. I do think that that's the thing - they say that they "support" LGBT-identifying individuals, but only as individuals. They find non-hetero relationships to be very "inappropriate" (that's the exact term that some people used). I'm kind of appalled of the fact that they "support" LGBT-identifying individuals, and yet don't support non-hetero relationships. It's like they only support it because, well... there's nothing bad or wrong with identifying yourself as LGBT except for the fact that you aren't supposed to love another human being of the same sex. It's like they're taking away a part of those people's identities just by taking away the rights of those people to love. Everyone deserves to love and to be loved in return, and they're taking it away from those people. That's what makes me very adamant about my stance - love is love, no matter what shape or form. Our world is already dark and corrupted, and taking away the rights of another human being to love is making this world more miserable than it is (sorry for being such a sappy crap, but it's true).
And, yes, it's not only passive-aggressive, but also a form of intimidation. LGBT-identifying people will be guilt-tripped (is that the word?) in loving someone of the same-sex romantically. They will be forced to think of the "consequences" that they will face if they cross over "that line". While I do think that there is life after death, I don't think anyone will go to hell just by loving someone of the same sex romantically.
Also, the marriage part. When someone says the term "marriage", it doesn't immediately mean "of a man and a woman", and that doesn't mean that its definition won't change. For example, the word "nice". Today, it's defined as "pleasant; agreeable; satisfactory", but back in the days, it was defined as "silly; foolish; simple". So does plenty of other words. If we won't accept changes (positive changes), how can the world evolve? We're already devolving as it is, and not accepting changes that are positive is not helping.
I do not also understand why people refuse to accept same-sex relationships because... why? Would it affect them negatively? How would it even affect them negatively when those people aren't even bothering them? They're only making other people's lives miserable.
Again, sorry for this long post (I'm sorry if anyone find this post offensive, and I'm really sorry if I did offend you. Still, I stand by my point).
Image
3... 2... 1...
WE'RE GOING DOWN, DOWN, IN AN EARLIER ROUND. AND, SUGAR WE'RE GOING DOWN SWINGING.
User avatar
CallMeAyana
sad dimple
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:14 pm
Location: Somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle
Pronouns: Phan Trash

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests