In-Depth Bants

charlieissocoollike

charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by Academic Rant zen » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:32 pm

I've only been watching Charlie for about a year and a half now so I'm not a huge fan or an expert. I recently just watched his latest video and really agreed with a lot of his remarks. He went on about how in order to discuss mental health, youtubers must hmmm "sugar coat" things and casually bring it up jokingly. He also said that he was not satisfied that youtubers have a "manufactured authenticity" and create a phony version. I just wanted to know if anyone had any input on the subject or if it caught the attention of someone else.
Please do not expect anything academic, ranty, or of zen.
Academic Rant zen
smol bean
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by opendoor » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:02 am

I watched the video, and I felt so sorry for Charlie, he really is such a sweet guy, and I didn't know he had all that going on. Proud of him for talking about it though.
drowned in moonlight, strangled by her own bra
User avatar
opendoor
*editing tips*
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:24 am
Location: Australia
Pronouns: she/her

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by Susannah » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:08 am

I saw his tweets and watched the video. Frankly, I'm saddened, but not surprised at all. Charlie has never been one for the spotlight... his reluctance to do collabs and draw attention to himself in an environment he does not have complete control over has always reflected that. In his song 'Duet with Myself', he also showed himself to be quite self-critical (he even called himself 'neurotic'), and even though the song ended on a positive note, I have always felt that there's more to himself that he never felt comfortable expressing to his audience (his shyness and social anxiety, for instance). I am glad he got help and is now managing his anxiety and depression. He's always been one of my favourites, and one of the first youtubers I ever got into (even before D&P). <3

my goodness, I used the word 'himself' a lot
(formerly known as mysterylovescompany)

Image
User avatar
Susannah
procrastinator
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:56 am
Location: World 12B
Pronouns: she/her

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by shoe » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:35 pm


Props to Charlie for acknowledging the people who worked with him on the book, and being honest about the fact that it was the publishing company who approached him not the other way around. I'm sick of hearing "I've always wanted to write a book", this was a breath of fresh air. :bigthumbsup:
User avatar
shoe
zombie goose
zombie goose
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:06 pm
Pronouns: they/them

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by hypothesised » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:23 am

yay! finally a thread about charlie, he's the first youtuber i properly watched and still one of my faves :garbage: i'm disappointed i won't be able to get or read his book for a while until i get my life sorted out but i'm so glad he's starting a new fun science series! i feel like science is going to be his niche at this rate.

some of my favourite charlie videos are a song about love, duet with myself and the other charlie.
i like his music don't shame me
i tried to embed the videos here but i don't know how to... :facepalm:
life is so much better when you spend it all online
Image
hypothesised
tol bean
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:04 pm
Location: on phil's top 10 viewer countries
Pronouns: they/them

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by Catallena » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:40 am

I was such a Charlie fangirl in 2010-11 like wow I was pretty obsessed tbh. Love like that doesn't fade away yo :lol:

BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:
Props to Charlie for acknowledging the people who worked with him on the book, and being honest about the fact that it was the publishing company who approached him not the other way around. I'm sick of hearing "I've always wanted to write a book", this was a breath of fresh air. :bigthumbsup:


Yesss I really enjoyed this video simply because of his honesty about how his book came to be and how he thanked everyone who worked on it and explained what their role was. It's refreshing and also very him. He's a very genuine person and YouTuber, I love him for that. I just wish he'd upload more ;_;

Does anyone else feel like he's even less of a social butterfly these days than he already was? Like after half of his friends got exposed as sexual predators, including his best friends and former housemate, he dropped them and didn't want anything to do with them anymore (a certain curly haired blonde should've taken notes lol...) but it seems like he never formed new close friendships with other UK YouTubers either. Makes me sad, because I'm pretty sure he's very well liked by everyone.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Image
User avatar
Catallena
butterglutton
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by hypothesised » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:53 am

Catallena wrote:Does anyone else feel like he's even less of a social butterfly these days than he already was? Like after half of his friends got exposed as sexual predators, including his best friends and former housemate, he dropped them and didn't want anything to do with them anymore (a certain curly haired blonde should've taken notes lol...) but it seems like he never formed new close friendships with other UK YouTubers either. Makes me sad, because I'm pretty sure he's very well liked by everyone.


i'm sure he's well-liked! he seems really nice and probably gets along with everyone, but i'd think he has his own circle of friends from when he made his short films and also people from cereal time. i still really miss chameleon circuit etc though :cry: maybe after the fun science gig/promo is over he could start working with other people and go out to events more often?
life is so much better when you spend it all online
Image
hypothesised
tol bean
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:04 pm
Location: on phil's top 10 viewer countries
Pronouns: they/them

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by Catallena » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:10 am

hypothesised wrote:
Catallena wrote:Does anyone else feel like he's even less of a social butterfly these days than he already was? Like after half of his friends got exposed as sexual predators, including his best friends and former housemate, he dropped them and didn't want anything to do with them anymore (a certain curly haired blonde should've taken notes lol...) but it seems like he never formed new close friendships with other UK YouTubers either. Makes me sad, because I'm pretty sure he's very well liked by everyone.


i'm sure he's well-liked! he seems really nice and probably gets along with everyone, but i'd think he has his own circle of friends from when he made his short films and also people from cereal time. i still really miss chameleon circuit etc though :cry: maybe after the fun science gig/promo is over he could start working with other people and go out to events more often?


He doesn't share much on social media aside from cute pics of his cat that I want to steal, so I guess he could have an amazing social life off screen. I hope he does.

I'm not into Doctor Who so Chameleon Circuit was never very interesting to me, though I do miss when Charlie was still into making silly music. When he made Gideon's Song last year he said he hadn't written a song in 2 years and that kinda made me sad. Duet With Myself was so good.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Image
User avatar
Catallena
butterglutton
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by hypothesised » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:55 am

Catallena wrote:
hypothesised wrote:
Catallena wrote:Does anyone else feel like he's even less of a social butterfly these days than he already was? Like after half of his friends got exposed as sexual predators, including his best friends and former housemate, he dropped them and didn't want anything to do with them anymore (a certain curly haired blonde should've taken notes lol...) but it seems like he never formed new close friendships with other UK YouTubers either. Makes me sad, because I'm pretty sure he's very well liked by everyone.


i'm sure he's well-liked! he seems really nice and probably gets along with everyone, but i'd think he has his own circle of friends from when he made his short films and also people from cereal time. i still really miss chameleon circuit etc though :cry: maybe after the fun science gig/promo is over he could start working with other people and go out to events more often?


He doesn't share much on social media aside from cute pics of his cat that I want to steal, so I guess he could have an amazing social life off screen. I hope he does.

I'm not into Doctor Who so Chameleon Circuit was never very interesting to me, though I do miss when Charlie was still into making silly music. When he made Gideon's Song last year he said he hadn't written a song in 2 years and that kinda made me sad. Duet With Myself was so good.


finally, another duet with myself enthusiast! i like a song about love better though. :garbage:
life is so much better when you spend it all online
Image
hypothesised
tol bean
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:04 pm
Location: on phil's top 10 viewer countries
Pronouns: they/them

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by shoe » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:36 am

hypothesised wrote:
Catallena wrote:I'm not into Doctor Who so Chameleon Circuit was never very interesting to me, though I do miss when Charlie was still into making silly music. When he made Gideon's Song last year he said he hadn't written a song in 2 years and that kinda made me sad. Duet With Myself was so good.


finally, another duet with myself enthusiast! i like a song about love better though. :garbage:


I love both of those but I think A Song About Monkeys is my favourite. I also love In the Absence of Christmas. Charlie has a beautiful voice and a real talent for music-making, I hope he feels motivated to make and share more in the future. Maybe more songs about science?
User avatar
shoe
zombie goose
zombie goose
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:06 pm
Pronouns: they/them

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by opendoor » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:00 am

Charlie music! Sometimes I find Duet with Myself stuck in my head and I haven't heard it in years. Love most the ones that were mentioned, I'd completely forgotten about A Song About Monkeys. Also as a teen I used to relate heavily to A Song about Acne, like it was nice somebody was singing about it.
drowned in moonlight, strangled by her own bra
User avatar
opendoor
*editing tips*
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:24 am
Location: Australia
Pronouns: she/her

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by Catallena » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:39 am

I get Duet With Myself stuck in my head all the time, it's the original Roast Yourself challenge but better lol. Song About Love is nice as well and an old friend of mine really love Song About Acne because she related to it so much.

I'd love it if he did more music, Gideon's Song was cool and very relatable to me as a crazy cat lady but it was obvious that it was his first attempt in years.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Image
User avatar
Catallena
butterglutton
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by shoe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Charlie made a Chirstmas EP for the P4A, however, it is not the beautiful music you may have been hoping for. He sings in the voice of his cat. However, if you would like to support the P4A and aquire a unique festive soundtrack, or some other perk, the indiegogo is only open for another 31 hours. After that, all of the perks will be GONE FOREVER.

indiegogo link in full b/c the url code didn't want to work for me: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-for-awesome-2016-youtube#/

although it may well be possible in the future to aquire pirated versions of some of the digital perks, we won't talk about that. :tsk: it's for charity.


User avatar
shoe
zombie goose
zombie goose
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:06 pm
Pronouns: they/them

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by Katka » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:49 pm

BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:Charlie made a Chirstmas EP for the P4A, however, it is not the beautiful music you may have been hoping for. He sings in the voice of his cat. However, if you would like to support the P4A and aquire a unique festive soundtrack, or some other perk, the indiegogo is only open for another 31 hours. After that, all of the perks will be GONE FOREVER.

indiegogo link in full b/c the url code didn't want to work for me: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/project-for-awesome-2016-youtube#/

although it may well be possible in the future to aquire pirated versions of some of the digital perks, we won't talk about that. :tsk: it's for charity.




This is SO cute, I'm crying happy tears. <3 I might actually get the EP since it's for charity and just such a cute idea. I don't really see myself listening to it but yes, it's for charity.
(used to be Birdie)
User avatar
Katka
sad dimple
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Re: charlieissocoollike

PostPosted by flarequake » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 pm

The cutest cat smile ever from Valentine's Day, I'm not even sure how this is possible:

:instinct:
User avatar
flarequake
blobfish
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:55 pm
Location: London, UK
Pronouns: She/her


Return to Other Youtubers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests