web
analytics

In-Depth Bants

Bingo Board Bants

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!

Re: Bingo Board Bants

PostPosted by melon lord » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:56 am

papierklemmen wrote:we also shouldn't forget that he lied that he'd dated phil. so... as always, back to square one. :shrug:

p.s. what is with this fandom and lies :lol:

we ARE the endless spiral of lies :shock:

In all seriousness, though :lol: So much doesn't add up. So I accept alittledizzy's post about charlie and phil and such but it doesn't make sense!

I feel like there is a crucial puzzle piece somewhere we've missed, which fills in the bigger picture

:lights: :lights:
melon lord
morning quiff

Pronouns: she/her

PostPosted by kusunoki masashige » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:19 pm

papierklemmen wrote:interesting point about their friends and colleagues from 2009/2010 - i'm wondering that myself. but at the end of the day, it's safe to say that there is no "milking of a non-existent homosexual relationship" in the eyes of those who's not invested in them. after a year of casual watching i didn't suspect anything, because they are very blatant (HA!) in their mocking of shipping culture. they never cross the line into the real world - all "shipping" moments are played up jokes and they make sure it gets through to the viewer. i figure a gay friend wouldn't be offended to see them mock their shippers - it's out of their control and they do the best they can in this situation.

yeah, I agree, they acknowledge shipping culture but don't really do any obvious shipbaiting in my opinion (on the other hand, why did they put cute moments together on theirPhil's tourbusbed in the trailer for the documentary? they know exactly how to play us). But as we know, other youtubers are very aware of what the phandom is up to and how it reacts to anything danandphil. Quite a lot of people mentioned after #busgate or some other time that if it turned out deppy weren't together, they would see their behaviour in another light, as something morally questionable, and I think some of their old youtube-colleagues who didn't manage to make it on youtube might see it the same way. But who knows. :shrug:

(hey papierklemmen, I majored in Japanese studies!! :japhan: )

alittledizzy wrote:Ooh, Charlie talk - my favorite topic and I'm too busy working to contribute to the extent I'd like.

But I will point out that Charlie only had the negative attitude toward closeted/successful youtubers from around 2012 onward. If you're taking his comments as evidence to legitimize or de-legitimatize Dan and Phil as a couple/their sexuality then you should be looking at some of his older tweets, too - not just the ones where he had a bone to pick with them. A few that immediately come to mind:

Charlie openly talking about their sexuality (almost as if he weren't aware he was supposed to not):

But citing that their relationship is no one's business:

And again:

Yeah, they seem to have been really friendly for quite some time. When/why did this change, what do you think? (I really want to hear more of your opinions on Charlie!!)
And Charlie talking about their sexuality, well, they both said they were bisexual on formspring, didn't they, so he was only confirming something they already said themselves.

Also, pretty off-topic, but what do you make of Adam's response to Dan's sushi roll tweet?

kusunoki masashige
glabella

PostPosted by papierklemmen » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:52 pm

kusunoki masashige wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:interesting point about their friends and colleagues from 2009/2010 - i'm wondering that myself. but at the end of the day, it's safe to say that there is no "milking of a non-existent homosexual relationship" in the eyes of those who's not invested in them. after a year of casual watching i didn't suspect anything, because they are very blatant (HA!) in their mocking of shipping culture. they never cross the line into the real world - all "shipping" moments are played up jokes and they make sure it gets through to the viewer. i figure a gay friend wouldn't be offended to see them mock their shippers - it's out of their control and they do the best they can in this situation.

yeah, I agree, they acknowledge shipping culture but don't really do any obvious shipbaiting in my opinion (on the other hand, why did they put cute moments together on theirPhil's tourbusbed in the trailer for the documentary? they know exactly how to play us). But as we know, other youtubers are very aware of what the phandom is up to and how it reacts to anything danandphil. Quite a lot of people mentioned after #busgate or some other time that if it turned out deppy weren't together, they would see their behaviour in another light, as something morally questionable, and I think some of their old youtube-colleagues who didn't manage to make it on youtube might see it the same way. But who knows. :shrug:

(hey papierklemmen, I majored in Japanese studies!! :japhan: )

alittledizzy wrote:Ooh, Charlie talk - my favorite topic and I'm too busy working to contribute to the extent I'd like.

But I will point out that Charlie only had the negative attitude toward closeted/successful youtubers from around 2012 onward. If you're taking his comments as evidence to legitimize or de-legitimatize Dan and Phil as a couple/their sexuality then you should be looking at some of his older tweets, too - not just the ones where he had a bone to pick with them. A few that immediately come to mind:

Charlie openly talking about their sexuality (almost as if he weren't aware he was supposed to not):

But citing that their relationship is no one's business:

And again:

Yeah, they seem to have been really friendly for quite some time. When/why did this change, what do you think? (I really want to hear more of your opinions on Charlie!!)
And Charlie talking about their sexuality, well, they both said they were bisexual on formspring, didn't they, so he was only confirming something they already said themselves.

Also, pretty off-topic, but what do you make of Adam's response to Dan's sushi roll tweet?

idk i think #busgate was only a thing in very invested parts of the fandom... plus, they emphasized that they did not share the bed, so why would their old youtube friends be offended? and i'm sure youtubers know how fake a lot of filmed stuff is.

what i'm curious about though, is how close charlie was with phil... for some reason i thought they were irl friends and took it as a fact, but now that i read this
alittledizzy wrote:
He didn't, though - Phil and Charlie met irl one time in March of 2009. Charlie and Stephen were talking and close the entire time Phil and Charlie were also close. In May of 2009 Charlie and Phil stopped talking as much, and Charlie and Stephen got closer. In June of 2009, Charlie and Stephen started dating - the same month that Dan started tweeting Phil, but before they were actually close.

Now, it's entirely possible that looking back years later Charlie was mad at himself for picking Stephen over Phil or mad at Phil for not pursuing him harder. But Phil choosing Dan over Charlie is the one conclusion that is just completely ruled out by the actual timeline. If there was any kind of emotional response happening it would have been from Phil, upset that Charlie chose Stephen over him, and using Dan as a rebound. (Which I don't actually think happened, because I don't think Phil was that upset over 'losing' Charlie for long, but is still a more plausible scenario.)

and ... they weren't even that close, apparently? we really don't know. they met up ONCE? they could have been "close" for internet buddies, but not "share everything about my life" close. sooo, charlie probably didn't even know a lot of what was happening and based his conclusions on the same evidence that we have today (their formspring answers, for example - although i do believe he and phil would have talked about it...idk).
honestly, it's just an infinite loop of "true/false/no one knows".

btw, yeah we don't know if he lied before or later or there was something else, but as always, i choose to believe 1) the answer that was given later 2) the answer that was given after he stopped being a dick and was in an good place emotionally

Re: adam's response - i don't think it means anything, i sometimes leave meaningless and stupid replies to people's pictures too lol

P.S. hurray for japanese studies!!! :japhan:

BTW lol
papierklemmen
flower crown

PostPosted by alittledizzy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:49 am

papierklemmen wrote:and ... they weren't even that close, apparently? we really don't know. they met up ONCE? they could have been "close" for internet buddies, but not "share everything about my life" close. sooo, charlie probably didn't even know a lot of what was happening and based his conclusions on the same evidence that we have today (their formspring answers, for example - although i do believe he and phil would have talked about it...idk).
honestly, it's just an infinite loop of "true/false/no one knows".

btw, yeah we don't know if he lied before or later or there was something else, but as always, i choose to believe 1) the answer that was given later 2) the answer that was given after he stopped being a dick and was in an good place emotionally

Charlie and Phil were very close, just close online primarily. They had a collab channel together (pabloislove) and constantly tweeted about being on the phone to each other, and they played WoW together. Their heavy period of flirtation/affection was late 2008 to about April/May 2009 which kind of gives the impression that after they met irl things fizzled a little. (Which leads to my speculation that maybe Charlie expected something more than Phil gave.)

I suppose there's also the chance they could have met up irl again and kept it private. I don't really think that happened, but it's a possibility.

I'm also fairly certain Phil has deleted some Charlie related tweets that would indicate their closeness, but Charlie has yet to delete anything. I've shared these in the Charlie thread before but I'll stick them here too. (Might replace later with screencaps when I have time, but for now just copying links to originals.)

and a couple gems where Charlie is quoting Phil:

We also know Phil and Stephen continued to be good friends and Phil worked on Apartment Red with Stephen (Charlie's boyfriend) so even if Charlie and Phil lost touch, Charlie still would have had an insight into them for a while. (Not to mention, Charlie was friends with basically everyone else in their youtube social group. Man, his conversations with Chris/crabstickz were a trip.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

PostPosted by helvetica » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:26 am

off topic but I was just wondering
where does the word stan come from? from context I think it means make someone ur fave but idk the history behind it ( if there is any)
was confetti-j
helvetica
butt chair

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:19 pm

confetti-j wrote:off topic but I was just wondering
where does the word stan come from? from context I think it means make someone ur fave but idk the history behind it ( if there is any)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_(fan)
wikipedia wrote:A stan is an avid fan and supporter of a celebrity, franchise, film, or group, often a rock/pop musician. The object of the stan's affection is often called their fave. Based on the song "Stan" by American rapper Eminem,the term has frequently been used to describe artist devotees whose fanaticism matches the severity of the obsessive character named Stan in the 2000 Eminem song. The word has been described as a portmanteau of "stalker" and "fan".

:garbage:
000dia000
flower crown

PostPosted by helvetica » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:34 pm

000dia000 wrote:
confetti-j wrote:off topic but I was just wondering

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_(fan)
wikipedia wrote:A stan is an avid fan and supporter of a celebrity, franchise, film, or group, often a rock/pop musician. The object of the stan's affection is often called their fave. Based on the song "Stan" by American rapper Eminem,the term has frequently been used to describe artist devotees whose fanaticism matches the severity of the obsessive character named Stan in the 2000 Eminem song. The word has been described as a portmanteau of "stalker" and "fan".

:garbage:

thank you :love2: <3
was confetti-j
helvetica
butt chair

PostPosted by melon lord » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:42 am

Does anyone from the old forum remember turnip? How they said to have sent some asks that riled Dan up? being part of a small friend-of-a-friend style youtuber clique?

Didn't Evan also claim the same thing somewhere? sending dan an ask and getting a response? also someone who is not part of the circle but a bit outside of it? :illuminati:

[x-files theme]
melon lord
morning quiff

PostPosted by starlight-still » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:36 pm

This is completely random but I wanted to share.

I saw a reference to "buffyphil" recently, was curious about the remnants of it still floating around the internet, and stumbled upon this from way back in 2004:

http://www.picassohead.com/?id=c356f6f#c356f6f

I found it quite interesting how even back then he was promoting himself (getting that e-mail in the drawing title, clever), building a following, and referring to himself in the superlative :D It's nice to see a bit of his artwork too.

Dan and Phil shimmer with starlight from within whenever they are together.
starlight-still
procrastinator

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:42 pm

starlight-still wrote:
This is completely random but I wanted to share.

I saw a reference to "buffyphil" recently, was curious about the remnants of it still floating around the internet, and stumbled upon this from way back in 2004:

http://www.picassohead.com/?id=c356f6f#c356f6f

I found it quite interesting how even back then he was promoting himself (getting that e-mail in the drawing title, clever), building a following, and referring to himself in the superlative :D It's nice to see a bit of his artwork too.

Should this be psycho-analysed? lol
Seriously, Phil has left such a messy digital footprint online I wonder what else exists of him
000dia000
flower crown

PostPosted by melon lord » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:30 am

I don't want to stir the shipping pot, but like, does anyone have an idea/theory about the progression from "openly emotional/clearly visiting each other and talking to each other a whole lot" to "absolutely no-homo ever" between the two?

I mean, I'd understand hiding it from the start if there was an issue of family or from fans, but it doesn't make sense to hide/deny anything when they were so open and honest at the beginning. Does that make sense? Like what happened between "I wonder how biology can explain" to "we never dated and never were dating"? Was it the sudden influx of fans? Was it rude people in the community? I've read responses on this forum from members back in the early 09 days that said it seemed normal and nothing worth having a hoohah over. If they were willing to be open about what they were up to, from sharing pics on twitter and dailybooth to basically showing how much time they spent together, what happened that made them turn a 180?
melon lord
morning quiff

PostPosted by confusedpanda » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:14 am

melon lord wrote:I don't want to stir the shipping pot, but like, does anyone have an idea/theory about the progression from "openly emotional/clearly visiting each other and talking to each other a whole lot" to "absolutely no-homo ever" between the two?

I mean, I'd understand hiding it from the start if there was an issue of family or from fans, but it doesn't make sense to hide/deny anything when they were so open and honest at the beginning. Does that make sense? Like what happened between "I wonder how biology can explain" to "we never dated and never were dating"? Was it the sudden influx of fans? Was it rude people in the community? I've read responses on this forum from members back in the early 09 days that said it seemed normal and nothing worth having a hoohah over. If they were willing to be open about what they were up to, from sharing pics on twitter and dailybooth to basically showing how much time they spent together, what happened that made them turn a 180?

What most likely happened was the vday video leaking on YouTube. Regardless of your views on if it's real or not, that's what probably caused the flip. If it was real, that switch would be a defense coping mechanism towards the situation. Deny anything that has to do with eachother, even if it means lying about our friendship and delete our past so no one knows we were (or are) dating. Basically wanting to cover up any proof that the video could be proven true. If it wasn't real, it was the flux of comments about them being together after the video came out that made them flip. That would make anyone really irritated, specially if you keep telling them it was a prank/wasn't real.
confusedpanda
hobbit hair

Pronouns: Her/she

PostPosted by pearshaped34 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:38 pm

melon lord wrote:I don't want to stir the shipping pot, but like, does anyone have an idea/theory about the progression from "openly emotional/clearly visiting each other and talking to each other a whole lot" to "absolutely no-homo ever" between the two?

Even though Dan and Phil have always used their twitter accounts for self-promotion back in the days when they also used them to flirt with each other they just generally treated them like they were just a normal personal account. They lacked filters in most areas not just their interactions with each other. I just don't think it occurred to them at the time that anyone would care enough that they had need to protect their privacy.
I think when people started to become not only more interested in them but invested they became more uneasy about how much private information they'd made freely accessible and felt it was no longer appropriate for them to put their personal lives on display.

Another factor that may have played a part is Dan realising his online life wasn't in a magic impenetrable bubble his family would never be able to access.
Like a lot of teenagers with parents who don't know how to internet I think it never occurred to Dan at 18 the stuff he did online would be something his parents (or other family members) would ever know anything about.
Even though he said things that imply his parents have never really got that into the internet to really follow him properly I bet there was a moment in time where he had a panic attack realising everything they might see.
I am mildly curious how in the dark his managed to keep them or if his grandmother is like aware that nakedbooth was once a thing :lol: .
pearshaped34
#relatable

PostPosted by melon lord » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:13 am

pearshaped34 wrote:

Even though Dan and Phil have always used their twitter accounts for self-promotion back in the days when they also used them to flirt with each other they just generally treated them like they were just a normal personal account. They lacked filters in most areas not just their interactions with each other. I just don't think it occurred to them at the time that anyone would care enough that they had need to protect their privacy.
I think when people started to become not only more interested in them but invested they became more uneasy about how much private information they'd made freely accessible and felt it was no longer appropriate for them to put their personal lives on display.

Another factor that may have played a part is Dan realising his online life wasn't in a magic impenetrable bubble his family would never be able to access.
Like a lot of teenagers with parents who don't know how to internet I think it never occurred to Dan at 18 the stuff he did online would be something his parents (or other family members) would ever know anything about.
Even though he said things that imply his parents have never really got that into the internet to really follow him properly I bet there was a moment in time where he had a panic attack realising everything they might see.
I am mildly curious how in the dark his managed to keep them or if his grandmother is like aware that nakedbooth was once a thing :lol: .

Wow sorry for disappearing for so long on this thread

Yeah, I would be mortified saying half of the things they said back then, but I guess at that time people were less cautious :lol:

I just found it odd that like along with all the tweets, pics and the entire flirty past, when the "cat is out of the bag" as it were, with the video, why not just come clean and close the topic? Zoella and Alfie tried to keep it secret for a while, didn't they? Before that photo from their laptop got noticed? I mean that is pretty incriminating in itself but you'd think that after the video being leaked you'd just say "yeah" and shut it down forever, but the furious denial just never made sense to me. If there was never any indication ever of them being together then I'd sort of understand that it's a "secret" but there was so much interaction and nudge nudge hints to it that it's become the elephant in the room

as an apology for being late here is a random photo that got me giggling, from phantaray

melon lord
morning quiff

PostPosted by helvetica » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:32 pm

this is off topic even in the off topic thread, but I was watching some old school Phil yesterday and in his video called two thousand nine he mentioned talking to a girl on a train that said she recognized him from a commercial where he said "YES",
does that commercial exist? or was he joking?
was confetti-j
helvetica
butt chair

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:04 pm

confetti-j wrote:this is off topic even in the off topic thread, but I was watching some old school Phil yesterday and in his video called two thousand nine he mentioned talking to a girl on a train that said she recognized him from a commercial where he said "YES",

Phil made an appearance in a few confused.com adverts in 2009, these would have been all over British tv:

000dia000
flower crown

PostPosted by helvetica » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:20 pm

000dia000 wrote:
confetti-j wrote:this is off topic even in the off topic thread, but I was watching some old school Phil yesterday and in his video called two thousand nine he mentioned talking to a girl on a train that said she recognized him from a commercial where he said "YES",

Phil made an appearance in a few confused.com adverts in 2009, these would have been all over British tv:

Thanks for yhe quick response! those commercials are so funny
was confetti-j
helvetica
butt chair

PostPosted by melon lord » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:50 am

This is random but was anyone around when they announced the FF7 remake and the whole world lost its shit? Did deppy make any sort of comment about it?
melon lord
morning quiff

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:55 pm

melon lord wrote:This is random but was anyone around when they announced the FF7 remake and the whole world lost its shit? Did deppy make any sort of comment about it?

http://twitter.com/AmazingPhil/status/610769795315802112?lang=en
000dia000
flower crown

PostPosted by captainspacecoat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:53 pm

melon lord wrote:I just found it odd that like along with all the tweets, pics and the entire flirty past, when the "cat is out of the bag" as it were, with the video, why not just come clean and close the topic? Zoella and Alfie tried to keep it secret for a while, didn't they? Before that photo from their laptop got noticed? I mean that is pretty incriminating in itself but you'd think that after the video being leaked you'd just say "yeah" and shut it down forever, but the furious denial just never made sense to me. If there was never any indication ever of them being together then I'd sort of understand that it's a "secret" but there was so much interaction and nudge nudge hints to it that it's become the elephant in the room

I think to me the main difference between zalfie being outed via the picture on their laptop and dnp being outed via the vday video comes down to sexuality. Zoe and Alfie are a straight m/f couple, and while having their relationship revealed to their audience against their will was undoubtedly upsetting, they didn't have to come up against an inevitable wave of homophobia/biphobia.

If dnp had decided to confirm their relationship after the vday video leaked, it would have meant they'd had to come out as not straight to their audience, and if that wasn't something they were ready to do (and clearly, it wasn't) then I completely understand why they so vehemently denied it. To me, the vday video is obviously real and not a prank, and I believe that excuse just as much as I would if Zoe and Alfie had decided to make out like the photo of them on her laptop was also a prank. But I'm willing to go along with their excuse, because I completely understand how terrifying it must have felt to have such a personal secret revealed to the world against their will.

So yeah, in summary I guess I'd say that being outed as not straight against their will was what caused dnp to deny their relationship after the voldy leak/s, compared to how easy it was for Zoe to just whip up a quick blog post confirming her and Alfie's relationship.
captainspacecoat
hobbit hair

PostPosted by melon lord » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:02 am

000dia000 wrote:
melon lord wrote:This is random but was anyone around when they announced the FF7 remake and the whole world lost its shit? Did deppy make any sort of comment about it?

http://twitter.com/AmazingPhil/status/610769795315802112?lang=en

THANK YOU :love2: I swear I did actually search but nothing was coming up :cry:

captainspacecoat wrote:
I think to me the main difference between zalfie being outed via the picture on their laptop and dnp being outed via the vday video comes down to sexuality. Zoe and Alfie are a straight m/f couple, and while having their relationship revealed to their audience against their will was undoubtedly upsetting, they didn't have to come up against an inevitable wave of homophobia/biphobia.

If dnp had decided to confirm their relationship after the vday video leaked, it would have meant they'd had to come out as not straight to their audience, and if that wasn't something they were ready to do (and clearly, it wasn't) then I completely understand why they so vehemently denied it. To me, the vday video is obviously real and not a prank, and I believe that excuse just as much as I would if Zoe and Alfie had decided to make out like the photo of them on her laptop was also a prank. But I'm willing to go along with their excuse, because I completely understand how terrifying it must have felt to have such a personal secret revealed to the world against their will.

So yeah, in summary I guess I'd say that being outed as not straight against their will was what caused dnp to deny their relationship after the voldy leak/s, compared to how easy it was for Zoe to just whip up a quick blog post confirming her and Alfie's relationship.

I would totally agree with you there, I speak from personal experience how terrifying being outed can be. But until the leak they had been very publically lovey dovey and very obviously "shady" (I can't find another term for that but you know what I mean). If the leak came out with no prior hints to a relationship or feelings then yes that's easy to deny but they were tweeting and photoboothing like a new couple, in public no less. Why did those gestures of affection not bother them? If it was just being outed wouldn't they have kept the "no homo" to the maximum? like "yeah meeting my mate Phil and gonna have beers at the pub" kind of thing, rather than [insert basically any Dan tweet from those times].

My only guess was being naive about being so outspoken on the internet. I think tumblr sealed that nail in the coffin. :lol:
melon lord
morning quiff

PostPosted by papierklemmen » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:36 am

melon lord wrote:
I would totally agree with you there, I speak from personal experience how terrifying being outed can be. But until the leak they had been very publically lovey dovey and very obviously "shady" (I can't find another term for that but you know what I mean). If the leak came out with no prior hints to a relationship or feelings then yes that's easy to deny but they were tweeting and photoboothing like a new couple, in public no less. Why did those gestures of affection not bother them? If it was just being outed wouldn't they have kept the "no homo" to the maximum? like "yeah meeting my mate Phil and gonna have beers at the pub" kind of thing, rather than [insert basically any Dan tweet from those times].

My only guess was being naive about being so outspoken on the internet. I think tumblr sealed that nail in the coffin. :lol:

i think their behavior is very explainable when you look at it from the "not dating" point of view though. they were obviously close friends who had no limits on how they expressed their affection for each other, everyone around them knew they were not a couple, their fans "shipping" them was just ridiculous fun - especially since even at the time they clarified anything that might have come off too "gay" :sideeye: , like when dan asked if phil wants to have an "interrobang" and phil said "not with you" etc., but with the leak that looked really suspicious they got an influx of fans who were actually tinhatting them to the point of compiling their past interactions into pdf files, "connecting the dots" and distributing it like legit proof. they got annoyed, scared and humiliated. yes, no matter how much someone supports lgbt+ rights, some men people can't handle very public speculations about their sexuality and try to put on a more macho and bro-like persona and decrease the interactions in an attempt to end the rumours. but it was obviously not their true self so it faded with time, and now we even can see them mocking the bro culture in their millionaire video.

if they are dating, then idk guys... then they must have gone through a rollercoaster of identity crises and i bet it wasn't pretty

(btw, i know nothing about 1D but i saw this quote about "larry" from their co-grouper and it sums up the same kind of situation pretty well)

Referring to 'Larry Stylinson' - the make-believe joint name for members Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson, who Directioners have theorised are secretly in a romance - he said: 'There's no secret relationships going on with any of the band members.' The young star, who found fame on The X Factor with the other lads back in 2010, added that it caused problems for Louis and Harry, who couldn't even act like normal friends around each other.

'It's not funny, and it still continues to be quite hard for them,' he added, showing a bit of sympathy for his former co-stars in an interview that otherwise was altogether more negative. 'They won't naturally go put their arm around each other because they're conscious of this thing that's going on, which is not even true. They won't do that.'
papierklemmen
flower crown

PostPosted by melon lord » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:18 am

papierklemmen wrote:i think their behavior is very explainable when you look at it from the "not dating" point of view though. they were obviously close friends who had no limits on how they expressed their affection for each other, everyone around them knew they were not a couple, their fans "shipping" them was just ridiculous fun - especially since even at the time they clarified anything that might have come off too "gay" :sideeye: , like when dan asked if phil wants to have an "interrobang" and phil said "not with you" etc., but with the leak that looked really suspicious they got an influx of fans who were actually tinhatting them to the point of compiling their past interactions into pdf files, "connecting the dots" and distributing it like legit proof. they got annoyed, scared and humiliated. yes, no matter how much someone supports lgbt+ rights, some men people can't handle very public speculations about their sexuality and try to put on a more macho and bro-like persona and decrease the interactions in an attempt to end the rumours. but it was obviously not their true self so it faded with time, and now we even can see them mocking the bro culture in their millionaire video.

if they are dating, then idk guys... then they must have gone through a rollercoaster of identity crises and i bet it wasn't pretty

(btw, i know nothing about 1D but i saw this quote about "larry" from their co-grouper and it sums up the same kind of situation pretty well)

Referring to 'Larry Stylinson' - the make-believe joint name for members Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson, who Directioners have theorised are secretly in a romance - he said: 'There's no secret relationships going on with any of the band members.' The young star, who found fame on The X Factor with the other lads back in 2010, added that it caused problems for Louis and Harry, who couldn't even act like normal friends around each other.

'It's not funny, and it still continues to be quite hard for them,' he added, showing a bit of sympathy for his former co-stars in an interview that otherwise was altogether more negative. 'They won't naturally go put their arm around each other because they're conscious of this thing that's going on, which is not even true. They won't do that.'

I don't believe they are dating, either. But I'm also open to the possibility that they are. :festive: I guess you could say phan-agnostic. I just like to discuss things that have nothing to do with my life :lol: The way the leak was handled was rather terrible, Dan only clarified it in his rants quite a bit after the event, the copyright claims are such an extreme measure if only they had cleared it up from the start, officially. Rather than sweeping it under the rug which leaves a visible bump for fans to be nosy about.
melon lord
morning quiff

PostPosted by papierklemmen » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:43 am

melon lord wrote:I don't believe they are dating, either. But I'm also open to the possibility that they are. :festive: I guess you could say phan-agnostic. I just like to discuss things that have nothing to do with my life :lol: The way the leak was handled was rather terrible, Dan only clarified it in his rants quite a bit after the event, the copyright claims are such an extreme measure if only they had cleared it up from the start, officially. Rather than sweeping it under the rug which leaves a visible bump for fans to be nosy about.

i am also open to that possibility, but i won't believe it until they scream it in my face :lol:
i agree that the leak was handled badly, but i don't think there was a better way around it tbh. they thought that not bringing attention to it would be a better way out, after all, keeping mum about everything has worked out pretty well for phil and doing the opposite has done dan more harm than good. but they just underestimated how much fandom blows everything out of proportion. then again, if you look at their content: they don't have any (or very few) "meta" videos that youtubers usually like so much, e.g. personal life announcement, clarification, rant, apology, youtube drama videos etc. so, they wouldn't make a video ala pewdiepie asking their fans not to come to their house or complain about youtube, they wouldn't make a video ala emma blackery apologizing for past actions etc... so breaking that pattern and explaining something like this on youtube would be really out of character and make their channels less "work only" and cross into the "personal stuff/daily vlog" territory, and also would bring attention to the issue with those casual viewers who don't care about checking their tags on tumblr. i actually think that keeping their youtube channels relatively drama-free was a good strategy.
papierklemmen
flower crown

PostPosted by mio » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:10 am

just want to add why you really cant compare the Zalfie situation to the voldy leak for many reasons:

- sexuality aka implied coming out as captainspacecoat pointed out

- Zoe and Alfie are daily vloggers who'd have talked about their relationship sooner or later anyway, while DnP always kept their personal life out of their yt content

- one picture of them kissing is way different than confirming a whole very private video to be legit. That would have meant pretty much laying their relationship bare for the world to see. (assuming they are/were dating) I dont think there are many examples of something so personal of a "famous" person leaking.

- DnP still used their twitter and other social media very much like personal outlets in the beginning (esp Dan), probably due to naivety about the internet's power to preserve everything and underestimating how big their fandom would be later. Zoe and Alfie were already way bigger and established when the picture happened, so they probably didnt have to change their behaviour that much since they knew how to handle fan's speculations and publicity beforehand

- again, assuming they are dating (I am tired of writing this, can we have an acronym for that already? ATAD) you need to consider that in the beginning they could only interact online, which is why we have so much proof of them flirting from that time. Ambiguous comments, pictures and hints are a totally normal way for people to flirt online if just getting to know each other and testing the waters. After they met in person and later even moved in together there was no need for that open bluntness anymore. And the leak of voldy was the nail in the coffin for any ambiguity online. Nothing illogical about that progression :shrug:
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
mio
#relatable

PreviousNext

Return to Daniel Howell & AmazingPhil