web
analytics

In-Depth Bants

Bingo Board Bants

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!

Bingo Board Bants

PostPosted by blueapple_x » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:01 pm

Hey guys!

I thought it would be nice to create a thread for people to discuss offtopic bingo board topics about Dan and Phil.

If you don’t know what this means, it’s pretty much a space where you can discuss things that are offtopic from the main “Dan & Phil Part ___” threads. To be more specific, it’s for questions, comments, theories and analyzes regarding topics that are commonly brought up. Including but not limited to:

Is phan real/not real, sexuality, vday vid, formspring/daily booth/customer service blog stuff, old tweets, fanservice/baiting/gaslighting, common “what if” scenarios, theories, etc (basically any common discussion topic you can think of--it doesn't even have to involve sexuality/phan)

A lot of these are sensitive topics that some people get really passionate about. I thought having a specific place where old discussions about sensitive topics are expected may help encourage some people to post more. I know once in a while people get randomly inspired to rehash certain topics. I also know that it can be intimidating to do so because sometimes people get annoyed when those types of discussions are repeatedly brought up. So, this will be a safe place to bring up repetitive topics without judgement/complaints!

PLEASE NOTE: As D+P sometimes say and do things that make the topics mentioned above very relevant to the present, in those instances it’ll be more appropriate to discuss it in the main thread. However, if you have a desire to bring up a commonly rehashed topic from the past (when it’s not relevant to the present), then here’s the place to do it!

I’m not sure if people will actually make use of this space but at least it’s here if anyone wants to discuss anything!
blueapple_x
blobfish

Re: Bingo Board Bants

PostPosted by Violet Witch » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Anyone else go back and forth on whether or not you believe in phan?

I had no intention of ever watching the voldy video, but funny enough, about a year ago, it was one of my suggested videos. I thought it was going to be a fan edit (since I thought all uploaded recordings were deleted) but it was the real thing. It felt genuine, and not insincere or "jokey" at all.

However, going through the attraction thread of IDP; it's kind of making me question if they are together. Just some examples, friends like Cat and Louise denying it, the constant use of "friend", etc.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense :)
Violet Witch
dank meme

Pronouns: she/her

PostPosted by blueapple_x » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:00 pm

Violet Witch wrote:Anyone else go back and forth on whether or not you believe in phan?

I had no intention of ever watching the voldy video, but funny enough, about a year ago, it was one of my suggested videos. I thought it was going to be a fan edit (since I thought all uploaded recordings were deleted) but it was the real thing. It felt genuine, and not insincere or "jokey" at all.

However, going through the attraction thread of IDP; it's kind of making me question if they are together. Just some examples, friends like Cat and Louise denying it, the constant use of "friend", etc.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense :)

Hi Violet Witch!

Thanks for posting here!

I would consider myself to be phanagnostic I guess. I go through phases of believing/having suspicions about if it's true. I can't help the skeptic blood that runs through my veins :shrug: . Lately I've been spending more time swinging towards the believer side (but I could revert back to having doubts which is annoying for me lol).

I know a lot of people like to answer this question with "it's none of my business so I don't care" but that doesn't answer the question imo lol. There are so many interesting theories and past "evidence" and I like to consider everything and see things from both sides. I'm very aware that it's none of my business but that doesn't mean I don't have eyes =P

Personally, I don't consider Cat or Louise denying it as any kind of proof. If they are together, they're clearly not ready to reveal it and thus their friends wouldn't rat them out. As for the use of "friend", once again, if they're not ready to reveal it, that's what they have to resort to. And in any case, some couples consider their partners to be their friend as well so they wouldn't necessarily be lying.
blueapple_x
blobfish

PostPosted by Winston » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:21 pm

I'm with you both. I swing, yes they are together to nope just besties all the time. I get a little sad when I'm in the besties dept though.

I have said it before a long time ago that I hope for their sake they are together. If not how would they be able to have a relationship with someone else? First how would the new partner handle entering into such a close friendship. It would be really hard imo. Second their history. How would the newcomer handle that part of the relationship between the two boys. (Voldy, tweets etc.) Third how would one of them deal with the other "leaving" their close relationship for another. It seems like it would be really hard on the friendship. From being the one always there for the other, to taking a backseat to a new person.

I just recently saw voldy for the first time. I too thought it would be an edit, and it played on auto. I realized it wasn't but didn't turn it off. I never wanted to watch it. I had seen a transcript and that alone made me uneasy. It didn't seem jokey to me either. And I felt bad for watching it. I was then thrown into full on phan af, for a while. But things changed and once again I am back to maybe/maybe not. (As of a few days ago am back in just besties mode. :( )
actions speak louder than words
Winston
blobfish

PostPosted by Violet Witch » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:29 pm

I definitely agree with both of you! I'm glad to see people that are "on the fence" as people usually discussing the topic are often on two extreme sides. And I'm not usually one for relationship speculation-- I was in the 1D fandom and I saw how bad that can go-- but Phan feels different, and like you both said, there's just so much information that it's hard to understand. When I read some of the posts on the attraction thread--something along the lines of Phil buying a new mattress and Dan getting a new headboard-- my shipper heart sunk. :?

Thanks for the thoughts on Cat and Louise. Now that I think of it, I remember other Youtubers talking about Joey Graceffa and referring to him as straight.

It'll be interesting to see what the future brings. Because either A.) One of them moves out or B.) They buy a house/have a kid/get married. I honestly can't wait to see what the next few years bring :D
Violet Witch
dank meme

PostPosted by bear » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:50 pm

I love this thread!
I guess I would say that usually I believe in their relationship, some days, about 10-15% of the time I believe they're just friends. Here's the thing
I always believe that the voldy video
was not a prank. Always. But we don't have any definite proof that they are still together.
Violet Witch wrote:It'll be interesting to see what the future brings. Because either A.) One of them moves out or B.) They buy a house/have a kid/get married. I honestly can't wait to see what the next few years bring :D

Exactly. What I say is time will prove the truth. If they move out, it's telling. If they continue to say together it's telling. Right now nothing is comfirmed or denied.
:somuch:
bear
hobbit hair

PostPosted by alittledizzy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:43 am

Poking around in twitterland I stumbled over some old tweets. These are from the week that Phil moved out of his parents house and into his own flat for the first time. Dan was in Manchester to help him move and get settled and break in that new bed amirite, and Luke Cutforth apparently tweeted Dan asking if he was moving in with Phil.

Dan's reply is still up, and Luke's reply to Dan's reply is still up, but Luke's original tweet is deleted. It really makes me wonder how exactly Luke worded that, and if Luke took it down himself for some reason or Dan/Phil asked him to. (And if it's the latter, was it deleted right away or was it later on?) Sometimes the stuff that goes missing feels more incriminating than it maybe was, but if it was deleted surely it was for a reason.

Tweets still up under the cut, screencapped not linked to discourage people tempted to fave/reply after so many years.

that wink though
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

PostPosted by anathema » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:05 am

alittledizzy wrote:Poking around in twitterland I stumbled over some old tweets. These are from the week that Phil moved out of his parents house and into his own flat for the first time. Dan was in Manchester to help him move and get settled and break in that new bed amirite, and Luke Cutforth apparently tweeted Dan asking if he was moving in with Phil.

Dan's reply is still up, and Luke's reply to Dan's reply is still up, but Luke's original tweet is deleted. It really makes me wonder how exactly Luke worded that, and if Luke took it down himself for some reason or Dan/Phil asked him to. (And if it's the latter, was it deleted right away or was it later on?) Sometimes the stuff that goes missing feels more incriminating than it maybe was, but if it was deleted surely it was for a reason.

Tweets still up under the cut, screencapped not linked to discourage people tempted to fave/reply after so many years.

that wink though

Not anything exciting. But, I do wonder why he deleted it.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
anathema
ar·tic·u·late

PostPosted by alittledizzy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:11 am

anathema wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:Poking around in twitterland I stumbled over some old tweets. These are from the week that Phil moved out of his parents house and into his own flat for the first time. Dan was in Manchester to help him move and get settled and break in that new bed amirite, and Luke Cutforth apparently tweeted Dan asking if he was moving in with Phil.

that wink though

Not anything exciting. But, I do wonder why he deleted it.

Yessssssss, thank you! I almost put this in the white whale thread instead hoping someone would find it. It really does make no sense to delete - definitely a case of removing something makes it seem more suspicious, when the original tweet wasn't actually saying anything bad.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

PostPosted by annetamiau » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:58 am

This tumblr post feels totally relevant ;)

http://hopscotchtoheaven.tumblr.com/post/132969068407/guys-why-arent-we-talking-more-about-this

Btw how do you embed these short videos on tumblr?
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
annetamiau
sad dimple

PostPosted by Winston » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:07 pm

annetamiau wrote:This tumblr post feels totally relevant ;)

http://hopscotchtoheaven.tumblr.com/post/132969068407/guys-why-arent-we-talking-more-about-this

Ha, when I saw that whole video I thought the same thing! Also he prefaced the whole Phil moving as "stuff happening in my life". He goes back and says that "well not really having to do with me really..." then that is where that clip picks up. It is a deleted video. The whole video is pretty :garbage: , But I think it was deleted because of a promo he does in it. Also talks about Jamaica trip. It's basically cute af.
Winston
blobfish

PostPosted by anathema » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Winston wrote:

Ha, when I saw that whole video I thought the same thing! Also he prefaced the whole Phil moving as "stuff happening in my life". He goes back and says that "well not really having to do with me really..." then that is where that clip picks up. It is a deleted video. The whole video is pretty :garbage: , But I think it was deleted because of a promo he does in it. Also talks about Jamaica trip. It's basically cute af.

I try to not read too much into stuff like this, but I'm :garbage: :garbage: Do you know if the video has been re-uploaded anywhere?
anathema
ar·tic·u·late

PostPosted by Violet Witch » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:35 pm

I've never seen this before! Awww <3
Violet Witch
dank meme

PostPosted by annetamiau » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:39 pm

anathema wrote:
Winston wrote:

I try to not read too much into stuff like this, but I'm :garbage: :garbage: Do you know if the video has been re-uploaded anywhere?

I didn't think it would be on YT but it is! :)

annetamiau
sad dimple

PostPosted by Winston » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:40 pm

anathema wrote:
Winston wrote:

http://hopscotchtoheaven.tumblr.com/post/132969068407/guys-why-arent-we-talking-more-about-thisby

Yup that's it. :thanks:

Also I tried to read the notes, but it looks blank. Anyone able to read it? Or is it really blank?
Winston
blobfish

PostPosted by annetamiau » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Winston: I can't read anything either, but there might be bullet points written down (like, 'summer in the city', 'jamaica', 'uploading videos').
annetamiau
sad dimple

PostPosted by anathema » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:52 pm

annetamiau wrote:Winston: I can't read anything either, but there might be bullet points written down (like, 'summer in the city', 'jamaica', 'uploading videos').

I'm sure there's stuff written down, as I don't see why he would lie. I'm assuming the camera just wouldn't focus, combined with the fact he was in front of a window so there was light reflecting off the paper. It was a super cute video though <3
anathema
ar·tic·u·late

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm also one of those people who go back and forth on the credibility of phan, the last video in particular knocked me from a strong 95 to a weak 55 help

I strongly believe in the idea that as an audience we react like lab rats being terrified by everything that isn't the norm, reacting to the sight of something slightly off, changing ideas and not taking strong facts as true facts just by how flimsy everything seems to be. Deppy have a tight hold on all of us and we have such a difficult time grasping change or the possibility of being RIGHT that this is IDB right now:
000dia000
flower crown

PostPosted by blueapple_x » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:55 pm

000dia000 wrote:I'm also one of those people who go back and forth on the credibility of phan, the last video in particular knocked me from a strong 95 to a weak 55 help

I strongly believe in the idea that as an audience we react like lab rats being terrified by everything that isn't the norm, reacting to the sight of something slightly off, changing ideas and not taking strong facts as true facts just by how flimsy everything seems to be. Deppy have a tight hold on all of us and we have such a difficult time grasping change or the possibility of being RIGHT that this is IDB right now:

Being so invested in them is quite tiring (but I enjoy it)! I don't think I'll ever stop wanting to know some things, but I actually think me being phanagnostic coupled with the fact that I don't mind if they're not together (even though I want them to be lalala) really helps me not get too ruffled when things happen that may point to them being platonic. Although that said, it does get annoying changing my mind all the time :tongue1:
blueapple_x
blobfish

PostPosted by daichii » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Currently feeling like Dan's not straight but Phil is and they've never been in a relationship or they're both somewhere in the non straight spectrum but have only been friends all this time.

Just a weird feeling I had for a few weeks but was strongly reinforced by the latest ditl and Dan's diss track :sadgarbage: :sadgarbage:

Hoping to get a vid or something that'll make me believe again! I don't want to feel like they're queerbaiting and that's exactly what it feels like when I think phan is not real. Plus this fandom is a million times more entertaining when you think they are together :)

I had not watched the vid you guys posted. I cringe so much at old Dan vids, it is endearing tho to see him then and now and all the improvement he has made!

eta: thanks for this thread! lately I've been feeling like rehashing old topics but dont want to upset people in the main one
daichii
sad dimple

Pronouns: she | her

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:22 pm

I decided to drop it here because I don't dare bring back up painting nails on the main thread again *shudder* but I thought I'd suggest this anyways if anybody cares to carry on discussion:

Does anybody think Dan is holding off posting a picture of him with painted nails because he plans on doing a pastel video? No? Yes? Do you hate me for suggesting something we're all sick of saying? I woke up and typed this on my phone in the dead of night so I'll probably regret bringing it up lol
000dia000
flower crown

PostPosted by blueapple_x » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:32 pm

000dia000 wrote:I decided to drop it here because I don't dare bring back up painting nails on the main thread again *shudder* but I thought I'd suggest this anyways if anybody cares to carry on discussion:

Does anybody think Dan is holding off posting a picture of him with painted nails because he plans on doing a pastel video? No? Yes?

That's a theory I thought about too (I also think he was just trolling and didn't post a photo to purposely "punish" the phandom so to speak lol).

I mean....him liking this to tease everyone:

No but really, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a pastel edits video and paint their nails.
Why did he refuse to let a person take a pic of his nails (when he fully knows people will be posting M&G pics where his nails are visible) and then say he'll post a pic later (and then take off the nail polish lol)? It's either because he was trolling, or saving it for a pastel edits/liveshow, or both lol. Or maybe he's going to give everyone a lecture in his liveshow by explaining that him painting his nails isn't/shouldn't be a big deal and thus he purposely didn't take a photo for that reason (although lbr, he knew people would freak out).

000dia000 wrote:Do you hate me for suggesting something we're all sick of saying? I woke up and typed this on my phone in the dead of night so I'll probably regret bringing it up lol

I created this thread specifically for repetitive/rehashed topics so you're safe lol :bigthumbsup:

daichii wrote:eta: thanks for this thread! lately I've been feeling like rehashing old topics but dont want to upset people in the main one

:love1: :love1: :love1:

I'm happy some people are feeling comfortable to post here
blueapple_x
blobfish

PostPosted by starlight-still » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:12 am

Re: going back and forth on phan

I've wandered over here because I saw Phil's tweet this morning about feeling under the weather (rest your weary little head, Philly, pls) and got to thinking about how much they mirror each other, even inadvertently, like one becoming ill after one tour, the other after the other. And then it hit me: part of the reason why I am phan-agnostic/go back and forth between believing they are/were together and believing that they never were.

It's their intimacy that actually makes me believe *less* in phan sometimes.

Whether you're phan, anti, or somewhere in the middle, I think many of us agree that their closeness goes above and beyond what most couple-couples experience. It's almost eerie how well they complement one another and fit together. So intimate that at times they seem more like twin brothers-from-other-mothers than a couple. As in their bond is so tight that it's as if they shared a womb and have known one another since conception. As in, it's as if they could quite literally be cut from the same cloth.

I don't know if anyone out here is a twin, related to twins, or knows a set well but as an outsider, the handful of twins I've known have had an almost otherworldly closeness. One set that I knew when I was younger would even speak their own twin-language to each other. I think what the "they're like twins" interpretation does for me is complicates the notion that them being "like brothers" means that there are certain levels of intimacy or closeness that don't jive with that interpretation. Because twin relationships can be as close, if not closer, than romantic partnerships.

But then I remember 2009 and it does seem as though they started out feeling very drawn to one another and (unless they were completely fabricating their messages on social media), more likely than not, explored physical intimacy with one another. And also, if they have, in fact, a strictly brotherly relationship, wouldn't they have emphasized this when trying to disprove phan? It would be easy enough for them to say "he's like a brother to me" and just stick with that to keep the public outside of their private lives. So why haven't they?

Lately the interpretation that's stuck with me is that they definitely have a very, very special bond but they themselves have chosen to explore it and try it on different ways. Perhaps they've settled on a close friendship for the time being, perhaps they're privately involved as romantic partners, but that doesn't mean that it was or will always be so. Maybe they don't see each other as "just" partners, because of that twin-brotherly intimacy, or "only" brothers, because they've been involved in other ways, even if it was just once. For all we know, it might change month to month, week to week, hour to hour. They both seem very open to letting things evolve as they will. If this is at least partially true, it explains why it can be so difficult to fall on one side of the phan/anti-phan interpretations, why their relationship is endlessly intriguing from an outside perspective, and perhaps even why they themselves choose to keep things private rather than force themselves to fit into friend-category or lover-category.

Dan and Phil shimmer with starlight from within whenever they are together.
starlight-still
procrastinator

PostPosted by Winston » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:09 am

starlight-still wrote:Re: going back and forth on phan

I've wandered over here because I saw Phil's tweet this morning about feeling under the weather (rest your weary little head, Philly, pls) and got to thinking about how much they mirror each other, even inadvertently, like one becoming ill after one tour, the other after the other. And then it hit me: part of the reason why I am phan-agnostic/go back and forth between believing they are/were together and believing that they never were.

Whether you're phan, anti, or somewhere in the middle, I think many of us agree that their closeness goes above and beyond what most couple-couples experience. It's almost eerie how well they complement one another and fit together. So intimate that at times they seem more like twin brothers-from-other-mothers than a couple. As in their bond is so tight that it's as if they shared a womb and have known one another since conception. As in, it's as if they could quite literally be cut from the same cloth.

I don't know if anyone out here is a twin, related to twins, or knows a set well but as an outsider, the handful of twins I've known have had an almost otherworldly closeness. One set that I knew when I was younger would even speak their own twin-language to each other. I think what the "they're like twins" interpretation does for me is complicates the notion that them being "like brothers" means that there are certain levels of intimacy or closeness that don't jive with that interpretation. Because twin relationships can be as close, if not closer, than romantic partnerships.

But then I remember 2009 and it does seem as though they started out feeling very drawn to one another and (unless they were completely fabricating their messages on social media), more likely than not, explored physical intimacy with one another. And also, if they have, in fact, a strictly brotherly relationship, wouldn't they have emphasized this when trying to disprove phan? It would be easy enough for them to say "he's like a brother to me" and just stick with that to keep the public outside of their private lives. So why haven't they?

Lately the interpretation that's stuck with me is that they definitely have a very, very special bond but they themselves have chosen to explore it and try it on different ways. Perhaps they've settled on a close friendship for the time being, perhaps they're privately involved as romantic partners, but that doesn't mean that it was or will always be so. Maybe they don't see each other as "just" partners, because of that twin-brotherly intimacy, or "only" brothers, because they've been involved in other ways, even if it was just once. For all we know, it might change month to month, week to week, hour to hour. They both seem very open to letting things evolve as they will. If this is at least partially true, it explains why it can be so difficult to fall on one side of the phan/anti-phan interpretations, why their relationship is endlessly intriguing from an outside perspective, and perhaps even why they themselves choose to keep things private rather than force themselves to fit into friend-category or lover-category.

Hmmmm this is a very interesting perspective. I know a lot of twins. But strangly enough non of them are as close as :D&P:. Some are close but not that close. Most of them are just like any other set of siblings.80% would kill eachother if they were together as much as as deppy. But then again, most couples would too.

One thing i think of randomly; i can not believe that they have never kissed. And because of that i couldn't think of them like brothers entirely. I think you're right about something, maybe they dont even know what the hell they are. As what they seem to have in eachother is something most people couldn't even imagine. Every relationship (any form) are different in their own way, snd theirs is not the exception.
Winston
blobfish

PostPosted by anathema » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:24 pm

starlight-still wrote:Re: going back and forth on phan

Very interesting perspective! I've not really thought of this before. But, one thing, I do remember there was one liveshow where someone asked if they were brothers and Dan responded with "ew, no" or something along those lines. I always thought it was weird that he seemed weirded out about the idea of him and Phil being brothers. But, I don't know, I saw it a while ago and maybe I viewed it wrong - it could have just been for comedic affect (?) and he's actually not grossed out about the idea of thinking him and Phil are brothers. Very interesting topic to think about.
anathema
ar·tic·u·late

Next

Return to Daniel Howell & AmazingPhil