In-Depth Bants

I Came Here to Lurk. I Stayed Here to Werk.

You can make your first post here!

I Came Here to Lurk. I Stayed Here to Werk.

PostPosted by lurkin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Honestly the title is the way it is because I couldn't think of anything relevant that rhymes with lurk.

So, hey, I'm Rei. As with most people that I've seen here, I'm on the older side of the phandom (19). Is there really any reason that so much of us on here are older than the fanbase is on tumblr/twitter/wherever else?

I used to have a dedicated phan blog back in the day (2012-2014), and after a while I got sick of posting nothing but :D&P: , so I switched to a more personal blog. I still don't really like the idea of having a dedicated phan blog, but I do miss being able to chat with my buddies on tumblr (who since have converted their blogs too or straight up deactivated). That's the part that I hate about tumblr is that everyone who was popular/friends/active eventually left like me to do other things, and now I don't have anyone to reminisce about "the old days" in the phandom. For example: elliegalaxies, Dan's essay posts about drama, basically anything that happened before D&P's huge surge in popularity circa 2013/2014. I guess I might have just answered my own question.

It's kinda weird getting to the age that Dan and Phil were when I first started watching them (and also prepping to be in my 20s while Dan and Phil are still in theirs). Like I know how years and math work, but I felt like I'd be stuck being 14 and watching 20 y/o's on YT, and now that I'm older everything feels different. The age gap feels less[/b] now that I'm here. But I guess for what it counts, I'm still here after five long years.

:garbage:
give me the #discourse
lurkin
tol bean

Pronouns: she/her

Re: I Came Here to Lurk. I Stayed Here to Werk.

PostPosted by Skylar » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:34 pm

hey there my dude. i remember elliegalaxies holy moly that's a blast from the past. i think i was fb friends with her, i can't remember. but ah dont feel old, i'm 19 too! welcome to the forums and i hope you have fun discussing with us :3

"this isn't a forever home."
Skylar
cheeky #spon

Pronouns: they/their/them

PostPosted by lurkin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply! I really enjoy being able to discuss these things with people who are older and can look at and discuss D&P through more of an adult lens. I think we get a unique experience having grown up with them and now being able to analyze everything with more...I don't wanna say wisdom, but for lack of a better term I will.

And honestly I am so damn nostalgic for 2012/2013 phandom even though it was so awful at times since it was still relatively small on tumblr.
give me the #discourse
lurkin
tol bean

PostPosted by Skylar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:37 am

Yeah I know what you mean! I was into them back in 2012, late 2012 mind you (I thought I didn't get into them until 2013 but oops. My mind was a blur back then I guess). I chose the worst time to get into them lmao bc of..the video that shall not be named. But yeah! I love discussing theories and talking about Dan and Phil with older members of the phandom. It feels..comfortable, if that makes sense.

Skylar
cheeky #spon

PostPosted by lurkin » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:49 pm

I love discussing theories with people, too! And, yeah, being around people around our age is a lot more comfortable and often we're on the same page. You just get to the point where talking with 13 and 14 y/os gets really uncomfortable/creepy and you realize that you really have to watch what you're saying around them and stuff, and it's a lot of responsibility.
give me the #discourse
lurkin
tol bean

PostPosted by Skylar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Yeah I understand. It sucks when I find someone who's in the Phandom but they're younger and are cringe worthy or they are too innocent to talk to about certain stuff. Oh well. At least we have this forum, right?

Skylar
cheeky #spon

PostPosted by LeftHandedism » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Welcome!

I'd just like to say that 19 doesn't seem "older" to me :lol: There are quite a few poeple on IDB who are older than 19; even some who, ahem, have kids who are not that much younger than 19! Check out the age survey from October: topic502.html.

Seriously, it's great for all of us to be on a forum with a wide range of ages and mostly mature discussion. :ribena: :bigthumbsup:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
LeftHandedism
cheeky #spon

PostPosted by iero » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:20 pm

welcome!! it's a great lil community we have here with people of all ages, it's refreshing and nice to have mature discussion
i'm 21 btw!
iero
cheeky #spon

Return to Introductions