In-Depth Bants

Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by SquishPhan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:43 pm

alittledizzy wrote:

aw, kirby takes after phil

:rofl: True.
User avatar
SquishPhan
full-time internet hobo
 
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:18 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by anathema » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:41 pm

MoonPride wrote:

Not going to lie but it makes me wonder if Dan saw the jumper speculation and then posts this to take the distraction away from it? :illuminati: Just seems like a bit of a coincidence.


ETA- I still think they was probably gifted to them, but we won't really know.

How is it a coincidence? Why would Dan be concerned about people knowing Phil has a jumper and then feel the need to distract from it? I really think he tweeted just to tweet, it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary to me :shrug:

alittledizzy wrote:

aw, kirby takes after phil

"Super Mario History 1985-2010" :rofl: :rofl:
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
User avatar
anathema
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:10 pm
Location: hell
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by majitzu » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:43 pm

anathema wrote:
MoonPride wrote:

Not going to lie but it makes me wonder if Dan saw the jumper speculation and then posts this to take the distraction away from it? :illuminati: Just seems like a bit of a coincidence.


ETA- I still think they was probably gifted to them, but we won't really know.

How is it a coincidence? Why would Dan be concerned about people knowing Phil has a jumper and then feel the need to distract from it? I really think he tweeted just to tweet, it doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary to me :shrug:


exactly this


Also that's what I call business, you gift two jumpers and then the rest gets sold out (I guess they were a gift instead of them buying it by themselves)
Image
User avatar
majitzu
trash
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:22 pm
Location: South America

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by lilMango » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:21 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
lilMango wrote:
Catallena wrote:To me, the tone in which he spoke during those parts was not his usual sarcastic tone, if it was it wouldn't make my skin crawl and I'd actually appreciate it because Dan is not nearly enough of sarcastic bastard these days. But it's a specific annoyed tone that he tends to use in liveshows that I can't stand, hence me not usually watching them. Like I'm glad he isn't being an asshole about it like in 2012, but it doesn't make it any less obnoxious and unnecessary to me. The buddy and bro talk is cute when they do it together because then it actually mocks bro culture, while Dan gave more vibes of mocking the viewer for no good reason. Again that's probably just me, I'm bitter and hate fun. Let's move on.


I felt the same way, and found it weird that people took it as an adorable thing... I don't know, it didn't come off to me as a moment that should be saved and cherished and fangirled over, it seemed like an (obviously necessary) jab. That being said, it didn't really affect me negatively. I can't expect anything else at this point. What is he gonna do, say "Phil is my boyfriend and he knows me well"?


I didn't take it as 'adorable' exactly - I just took it in the same vein as the bro-mate-joking. Dan's tone seeming different fits with me the same way Dan's tone is always different when it's just Dan instead of Dan with Phil. (And the same way Phil's tone is different when it's just him and he's not interacting with Dan.)

Definitely didn't read it as a jab toward anything but the concept that their ~friendship branding~ is something they maintain with a wink and a nod.


This is very horribly late of me but when i said 'adorable' I was mostly referring to people on twitter and their reactions.
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
User avatar
lilMango
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:51 pm
Location: USA
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by Amiaw » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Back to the sweaters- the shop responded to the tweet and NGL - their reply made me laugh

User avatar
Amiaw
sad dimple
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by jesuisunèléve » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:50 pm

SquishPhan wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:

aw, kirby takes after phil

:rofl: True.


1. That is the nerdiest bookshelf I have ever laid eyes on.

2. Does Phil need an intervention? Why does he insist on doing himself in? The fork, the gas leak, and now the bookshelf?
User avatar
jesuisunèléve
cheeky #spon
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:34 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by secretagentphan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 pm


alittledizzy wrote:

aw, kirby takes after phil

"Super Mario History 1985-2010" :rofl: :rofl:

NEEEEERRRRDDSSS!!! OMG I'm actually dead, they are such dweebs. Like just when you think their nerdiness is to be #relatable youtubers you see shit like this :rofl: (not that I've ever doubted their geekiness tbqh)
Image
User avatar
secretagentphan
cheeky #spon
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by alittledizzy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Timestamps - I know I was asked not to put them under a cut but damn this got long, and I don't want to make anyone have to scroll pages. I'll continue not hiding normal length ones, though.

Dan's liveshow - 10 January 2017

2:23 - Dan says that he has "no plan whatsoever" when he does his liveshows and the first quietly knowing 'bullshit' of the year directed at Dan is uttered from my lips.
2:31 - "Intimate... oi oi." You're cute but you're dumb but you're cute.
3:07 - Predator in a stock photo Dan. Dan is clearly contemplating backup careers for when youtube tanks or #phandivorce.
4:26 - Dan has been hibernating since Christmas Day.
4:38 - Darla could be someone that touches other people's dogs without consent, and Dan does not condone that.
5:36 - "Hi, Phil." after someone says how many houseplants they've bought.
6:13 - "Me and Phil... obviously." Gas leak story.
7:07 - How are they still alive?
7:36 - Good thing they didn't blunt up.
7:35 - One year or four years? Did Phil mishear or exaggerate? Dan tries to cover.
8:20 - Shibe jumper.
8:35 - Noises in background. "There's men in our house. Professional men. Lurking in the house."
9:17 - It reminds Dan of being at university.
9:28 - Bad wifi mention. It would break if he closed the door.
10:00 - A second "oi oi." I'm offended, but also intriged.
10:15 - Phil doesn't want to just be on his laptop in case the men need him. He has been shaking awkwardly in the corner for two hours.
11:15 - "Give the people what they want."
12:00 - Dragged for not being creative, immediately stops talking about video.
13:13 - "That's my audience. And this is our relationship."
14;15 - 2016 was intense. He was sick a lot, traveled a lot.
14:31 - He ordered takeaway and watched box sets.
14:40 - Watched Planet Earth 2.
15:27 - Animals do things that humans relate to. "Because humans are animals that, at the end of the day, just want to eat, have sex, and die."
16:04 - Yuri on Ice question. Dan leans off camera, groans, dodges it, starts talking about Agin.
16:28 - Ed Sheeran talk.
18:36 - Sherlock talk.
19:28 - Dan doesn't like Mary. Lkes the actress that plays Mary, likes the character, doesn't like the idea of her.
21:22 - Respect your mum because she gave birth to you and she loves you, unless she's a dick and then make your own decisions. (Answering question about haircut.) (Peen. Lol.)
22:29 - He has not watched Skam.
22:39 - "Been watching crime dramas, that's what me and Phil have been on. Nature shows and disturbing, miserable crime dramas."
22:48 - The Missing talk.
23:29 - They put Steven Universe on hiatus to watch Agin.
23:47 - Still has not seen Fantastic Beasts.
24:00 - Has not made New Years Resolutions, but made life improvement goals.
24:30 - Phil has been trying to die as much as possible lately.
24:37 - "What did Phil get you for Christmas? Aw, some domestic Dan and Phil vestive vibes."
25:02 - Sand thing. Relaxing and aesthetic. "They're great, they're so great."
25:55 - Oil themed candle. "I feel like Phil's slightly taking the piss with this one."
27:00 - "Look at that shit. Look at that shit. I'm not gonna light that." I think Dan likes the candle. Good job, Phil.
27:55 - His Christmas was good. Calming. "Went back to visit the fam. Saw the dog."
28:00 - Almost a solid two minutes of Dan waxing poetic about Colin the dog.
30:00 - tips on self love question - wish he had actually answered this
31:01 - "I hadn't tidied this bedroom-" (heh. this bedroom.)
31:59 - Awaken My Love by Childish Gambino music rec
32:41 - Dan's top five albums of the year: 1) Frank Ocean - Blonde. 2) A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead 3) The Life of Pablo - Kanye 4) Seat at the Table - Solange 5) Atrocity Exhibition - Danny Brown. He liked Bon Iver, Beyonce, Bottomless Pit by Death Grips.
33:46 - "We're not talking about Kanye because lots of people don't like him right now." Dan you're paining me with this refusal to unstan.
35:20 - "Me and Phil went to Manchester to hang out with some old buddies [for NYE]. We went to a guy's house who just got a dog, so I mean - what else? Forget the friends. Forget whatever. Forget whatever. They just got a new labrador. That's me done."
35:46 - "Everybody's New Year kiss was just that dog."
35:55 - There was a tub full of beads.
36:12 - Was socializing and kind of playing board games while making his horse.
36:30 - Mentions evil piano teacher video idea.
37:10 - He does not know what the broad appeal of a video of him painting his nails would be.
37:45 - Dan promos Phil's liveshow.
37:55 - Someone in chat has a birthday coming up. "Much like Phil, inconvenient."
38:10 - Burgers or pizza? He loves pizza, man. Burgers - he's a condoment guy.
40:23 - Apple of android? What I took from this is that he gets free shit and I'm jealous.
40:39 - The only things he doesn't like are raw tomato, celery, and fishy fish.
40:44 - "Not that I'm much about the fish these days." ~controversial comment alert~
41:25 - Dan is going to experiment.
41:35 - "A cat called Bear. I love it."
41:41 - "Tell you what I watched. With Phil." With Phil, you saw? Wow, Dan. Plot twist. (Spoiler: they watched Home Alone.)
42:31 - "My family didn't really watch movies and then show them to me out of excitement, and because I was born in the 90s I didn't watch a lot of 80s movies because no one showed them to me. So, like, I only watched Back to the Future last New Years." Are they making it a yearly tradition for Phil to show Dan 80s movies?
43:10 - Dan does not want to dwell on the current political climate.
43:30 - Best Undertale song is Megalovania.
43:35 - Dan played genocide route of Undertale over Christmas. Talks about Undertale.
46:44 - Talks about his sense of humor in relation to existential tweets. Actually my favorite part of the liveshow. "If you're somebody that's making fun of your problems with depressing jokes, that's a really good thing because it shows that firstly you acknowledge issues and you're not too proud, and you're willing to talk about things which is good. And that you accept them and you don't take life too seriously and you're not judging yourself too harshly . I think people that ironically joke about things and themselves are the kind of people that are quite honest with themselves and that's a good thing."
48:25 - He couldn't watch Golden Globes live because he couldn't find a stream. Meryl Streep speech.
49:50 - "Phil's probably shaking in a corner again after all that social interaction."
50:18 - "Fav things you got for Christmas?" Talks about the making of Book of Mormon thing his family got him.
50:45 - Won't listen to Hamilton until he sees it, won't read Cursed Child until he sees it.
52:05 - He wants to go to New York in winter some time.
52:48 - He likes "Two By Two" and "I Believe" from Book of Mormon.
52:58 - Over the Christmas period he played: The Witcher 3, which he finished. Age of Empires 3, because he can't stop playing it. Mario Run, which he thinks is pretty good but didn't like it until he finished the entire game.
53:52 - Ultimate Collectors Edition of the new Final Fantasy.
54:36 - Dan loves collectables, implying he's the one that wanted to do DAPGO because he loves collectibles.
55:29 - Dan outlining his own hipster self au.
55:37 - Dan clenches, is flattening his molars. "Hurt me, hurt me."
56:23 - Dan is not getting a mouth guard.
56:32 - Phil played Pokemon over the Christmas period.
56:55 - Updating his tumblr theme is a 2017 task.
57:06 - The last memes video has six and a half million views and suddenly I understand exactly why Dan is doing another one. You get that money, boy.
57:53 - He thinks pinof8 were best bloopers.
59:12 - Time is a construct and it's meaningless, but the new year is also a good time to stop and think about things before you get swept up in life.
User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:09 am
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by Truth_or_cliche » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:41 pm

alittledizzy wrote:Timestamps - I know I was asked not to put them under a cut but damn this got long, and I don't want to make anyone have to scroll pages. I'll continue not hiding normal length ones, though.

Dan's liveshow - 10 January 2017

2:23 - Dan says that he has "no plan whatsoever" when he does his liveshows and the first quietly knowing 'bullshit' of the year directed at Dan is uttered from my lips.
2:31 - "Intimate... oi oi." You're cute but you're dumb but you're cute.
3:07 - Predator in a stock photo Dan. Dan is clearly contemplating backup careers for when youtube tanks or #phandivorce.
4:26 - Dan has been hibernating since Christmas Day.
4:38 - Darla could be someone that touches other people's dogs without consent, and Dan does not condone that.
5:36 - "Hi, Phil." after someone says how many houseplants they've bought.
6:13 - "Me and Phil... obviously." Gas leak story.
7:07 - How are they still alive?
7:36 - Good thing they didn't blunt up.
7:35 - One year or four years? Did Phil mishear or exaggerate? Dan tries to cover.
8:20 - Shibe jumper.
8:35 - Noises in background. "There's men in our house. Professional men. Lurking in the house."
9:17 - It reminds Dan of being at university.
9:28 - Bad wifi mention. It would break if he closed the door.
10:00 - A second "oi oi." I'm offended, but also intriged.
10:15 - Phil doesn't want to just be on his laptop in case the men need him. He has been shaking awkwardly in the corner for two hours.
11:15 - "Give the people what they want."
12:00 - Dragged for not being creative, immediately stops talking about video.
13:13 - "That's my audience. And this is our relationship."
14;15 - 2016 was intense. He was sick a lot, traveled a lot.
14:31 - He ordered takeaway and watched box sets.
14:40 - Watched Planet Earth 2.
15:27 - Animals do things that humans relate to. "Because humans are animals that, at the end of the day, just want to eat, have sex, and die."
16:04 - Yuri on Ice question. Dan leans off camera, groans, dodges it, starts talking about Agin.
16:28 - Ed Sheeran talk.
18:36 - Sherlock talk.
19:28 - Dan doesn't like Mary. Lkes the actress that plays Mary, likes the character, doesn't like the idea of her.
21:22 - Respect your mum because she gave birth to you and she loves you, unless she's a dick and then make your own decisions. (Answering question about haircut.) (Peen. Lol.)
22:29 - He has not watched Skam.
22:39 - "Been watching crime dramas, that's what me and Phil have been on. Nature shows and disturbing, miserable crime dramas."
22:48 - The Missing talk.
23:29 - They put Steven Universe on hiatus to watch Agin.
23:47 - Still has not seen Fantastic Beasts.
24:00 - Has not made New Years Resolutions, but made life improvement goals.
24:30 - Phil has been trying to die as much as possible lately.
24:37 - "What did Phil get you for Christmas? Aw, some domestic Dan and Phil vestive vibes."
25:02 - Sand thing. Relaxing and aesthetic. "They're great, they're so great."
25:55 - Oil themed candle. "I feel like Phil's slightly taking the piss with this one."
27:00 - "Look at that shit. Look at that shit. I'm not gonna light that." I think Dan likes the candle. Good job, Phil.
27:55 - His Christmas was good. Calming. "Went back to visit the fam. Saw the dog."
28:00 - Almost a solid two minutes of Dan waxing poetic about Colin the dog.
30:00 - tips on self love question - wish he had actually answered this
31:01 - "I hadn't tidied this bedroom-" (heh. this bedroom.)
31:59 - Awaken My Love by Childish Gambino music rec
32:41 - Dan's top five albums of the year: 1) Frank Ocean - Blonde. 2) A Moon Shaped Pool - Radiohead 3) The Life of Pablo - Kanye 4) Seat at the Table - Solange 5) Atrocity Exhibition - Danny Brown. He liked Bon Iver, Beyonce, Bottomless Pit by Death Grips.
33:46 - "We're not talking about Kanye because lots of people don't like him right now." Dan you're paining me with this refusal to unstan.
35:20 - "Me and Phil went to Manchester to hang out with some old buddies [for NYE]. We went to a guy's house who just got a dog, so I mean - what else? Forget the friends. Forget whatever. Forget whatever. They just got a new labrador. That's me done."
35:46 - "Everybody's New Year kiss was just that dog."
35:55 - There was a tub full of beads.
36:12 - Was socializing and kind of playing board games while making his horse.
36:30 - Mentions evil piano teacher video idea.
37:10 - He does not know what the broad appeal of a video of him painting his nails would be.
37:45 - Dan promos Phil's liveshow.
37:55 - Someone in chat has a birthday coming up. "Much like Phil, inconvenient."
38:10 - Burgers or pizza? He loves pizza, man. Burgers - he's a condoment guy.
40:23 - Apple of android? What I took from this is that he gets free shit and I'm jealous.
40:39 - The only things he doesn't like are raw tomato, celery, and fishy fish.
40:44 - "Not that I'm much about the fish these days." ~controversial comment alert~
41:25 - Dan is going to experiment.
41:35 - "A cat called Bear. I love it."
41:41 - "Tell you what I watched. With Phil." With Phil, you saw? Wow, Dan. Plot twist. (Spoiler: they watched Home Alone.)
42:31 - "My family didn't really watch movies and then show them to me out of excitement, and because I was born in the 90s I didn't watch a lot of 80s movies because no one showed them to me. So, like, I only watched Back to the Future last New Years." Are they making it a yearly tradition for Phil to show Dan 80s movies?
43:10 - Dan does not want to dwell on the current political climate.
43:30 - Best Undertale song is Megalovania.
43:35 - Dan played genocide route of Undertale over Christmas. Talks about Undertale.
46:44 - Talks about his sense of humor in relation to existential tweets. Actually my favorite part of the liveshow. "If you're somebody that's making fun of your problems with depressing jokes, that's a really good thing because it shows that firstly you acknowledge issues and you're not too proud, and you're willing to talk about things which is good. And that you accept them and you don't take life too seriously and you're not judging yourself too harshly . I think people that ironically joke about things and themselves are the kind of people that are quite honest with themselves and that's a good thing."
48:25 - He couldn't watch Golden Globes live because he couldn't find a stream. Meryl Streep speech.
49:50 - "Phil's probably shaking in a corner again after all that social interaction."
50:18 - "Fav things you got for Christmas?" Talks about the making of Book of Mormon thing his family got him.
50:45 - Won't listen to Hamilton until he sees it, won't read Cursed Child until he sees it.
52:05 - He wants to go to New York in winter some time.
52:48 - He likes "Two By Two" and "I Believe" from Book of Mormon.
52:58 - Over the Christmas period he played: The Witcher 3, which he finished. Age of Empires 3, because he can't stop playing it. Mario Run, which he thinks is pretty good but didn't like it until he finished the entire game.
53:52 - Ultimate Collectors Edition of the new Final Fantasy.
54:36 - Dan loves collectables, implying he's the one that wanted to do DAPGO because he loves collectibles.
55:29 - Dan outlining his own hipster self au.
55:37 - Dan clenches, is flattening his molars. "Hurt me, hurt me."
56:23 - Dan is not getting a mouth guard.
56:32 - Phil played Pokemon over the Christmas period.
56:55 - Updating his tumblr theme is a 2017 task.
57:06 - The last memes video has six and a half million views and suddenly I understand exactly why Dan is doing another one. You get that money, boy.
57:53 - He thinks pinof8 were best bloopers.
59:12 - Time is a construct and it's meaningless, but the new year is also a good time to stop and think about things before you get swept up in life.


Are they making it a yearly tradition for Phil to show Dan 80s movies?


What a cute thought...and now my heart hurts lol
Truth_or_cliche
drama llama
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:53 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by malday » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:39 am

this is from a few pages back but
majitzu wrote:For what i know they have the word phan censored on their main channels, and it seems is also censored on their side channels, so when doing the live thing you can't also write it there

i didn't notice this until you mentioned it. kind of silly, what if someone wants to talk about Michelle Phan :lol:
Image
User avatar
malday
hobbit hair
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:56 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by MoonPride » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:22 am

Excited to see what Dan got Phil for Christmas tonight in the ls, I have a feeling it was the Planet Earth dvd.
Image
User avatar
MoonPride
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:01 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by secretagentphan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:48 am

I know this is offtopic but I always like to share my friends who are casual fans of Deppy's view on their relationship.

(This paragraph is literally useless background sorry you can skip it if you want) i showed them to her back in like 2011 when I first started watching, but it was towards the end of 2011 so the no-homoing had already begun. In 2014/15ish when I found the infamous video I showed her because I was so uncomfortable that I felt like I needed to shift some guilt onto her so she could feel my pain.

NOW she watches their Sims series and she was telling me that "At first it was really weird just because I couldn't imagine them being romantically together based on their content, but in their recent videos I just see them as a cute gay (as in relationship not orientation) couple. It's just strange to me it was happening the entire time, not just now."

I thought this was interesting because we all think they are branding as more "coupley" but I personally think we are all so "biased" that it's impossible to tell if that's because they changed their behavior or because now that we "know" our phan goggles are making things look different. Thinking about it though I even got SLIGHT couple vibes (but nothing crazy) from the "I Nearly Blinded Myself" video on DINOF which is CRAZY considering what that channel used to be like.
Image
User avatar
secretagentphan
cheeky #spon
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by fancybum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:21 am

secretagentphan wrote:I know this is offtopic but I always like to share my friends who are casual fans of Deppy's view on their relationship.

(This paragraph is literally useless background sorry you can skip it if you want) i showed them to her back in like 2011 when I first started watching, but it was towards the end of 2011 so the no-homoing had already begun. In 2014/15ish when I found the infamous video I showed her because I was so uncomfortable that I felt like I needed to shift some guilt onto her so she could feel my pain.

NOW she watches their Sims series and she was telling me that "At first it was really weird just because I couldn't imagine them being romantically together based on their content, but in their recent videos I just see them as a cute gay (as in relationship not orientation) couple. It's just strange to me it was happening the entire time, not just now."

I thought this was interesting because we all think they are branding as more "coupley" but I personally think we are all so "biased" that it's impossible to tell if that's because they changed their behavior or because now that we "know" our phan goggles are making things look different. Thinking about it though I even got SLIGHT couple vibes (but nothing crazy) from the "I Nearly Blinded Myself" video on DINOF which is CRAZY considering what that channel used to be like.

First: I don't think they're "branding as more 'coupley'" so careful with those 'we's'.

Second: Interesting. But your friend is still coming at it with the background info you provided her and will still influence how she perceives them. Like take a random person off the street and show them their recent videos, who knows what they would think. Then show them that video, their thoughts would likely change. Them give them all the backstory yada yada, thoughts could change again. I don't know how anybody could go about getting a completely objective (goggle-less of any kind) view of the two of them as they don't live in a vacuum, we don't live in a vacuum, I don't know where any real meaning could be found at this point outside of all the available information.

Also I think it's pretty clear they've changed their behaviour recently, maybe not drastically as this shift has been in the works for over a year really, but it's a noticeable change (maybe not to a totally casual viewer, but still). But (as an example) the 'touch my heart' moment from Slender is objectively a change from how they approached such interactions in the past. There's no phan goggles making me think that, it just is. Without even going into what the change could mean, without showing my bias, there is definitely a change to be observed with them. (It's possible I misunderstood your last paragraph/your point so if this isn't even relevant, ignore me).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Image
User avatar
fancybum
cat whiskers
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:06 pm
Location: bork

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by AmazingOCD » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:25 am

secretagentphan wrote:I know this is offtopic but I always like to share my friends who are casual fans of Deppy's view on their relationship.

(This paragraph is literally useless background sorry you can skip it if you want) i showed them to her back in like 2011 when I first started watching, but it was towards the end of 2011 so the no-homoing had already begun. In 2014/15ish when I found the infamous video I showed her because I was so uncomfortable that I felt like I needed to shift some guilt onto her so she could feel my pain.

NOW she watches their Sims series and she was telling me that "At first it was really weird just because I couldn't imagine them being romantically together based on their content, but in their recent videos I just see them as a cute gay (as in relationship not orientation) couple. It's just strange to me it was happening the entire time, not just now."

I thought this was interesting because we all think they are branding as more "coupley" but I personally think we are all so "biased" that it's impossible to tell if that's because they changed their behavior or because now that we "know" our phan goggles are making things look different. Thinking about it though I even got SLIGHT couple vibes (but nothing crazy) from the "I Nearly Blinded Myself" video on DINOF which is CRAZY considering what that channel used to be like.


That's interesting! I agree (the :phangoggles2: blind us a bit....

Just gonna leave my opinion here (don't mind me!)
I got into Phil around 2013, then Dan 2014 and followed dnpg when it started. Never thought of them as a couple just bestos, then again I wasn't as active on the internet then as I am now.

Stopped watching them after Tabinof as I had a busy (and stressful) year with exams. Plus they were going on tour so there was the content drought.

Then got back into them in November, watched the BONCAS (love you phil, that was so sweet <3 ), Gamingmas, PINOF 8 (and bloopers!) and I definitely noticed a difference! Whatever their relationship is (bestos, boyf, just roommates) they have gotten a lot more relaxed and freer on camera. And thats a good thing. The bloopers were different but I think its great to see them be more natural!

Also lurking on here and tumblr and reading fanfiction as of December may have clouded my judgement a tad....
It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness - Phil Lester
User avatar
AmazingOCD
dank meme
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:39 pm
Location: Ireland
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by secretagentphan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:46 am

fancybum wrote:
secretagentphan wrote:I know this is offtopic but I always like to share my friends who are casual fans of Deppy's view on their relationship.

(This paragraph is literally useless background sorry you can skip it if you want) i showed them to her back in like 2011 when I first started watching, but it was towards the end of 2011 so the no-homoing had already begun. In 2014/15ish when I found the infamous video I showed her because I was so uncomfortable that I felt like I needed to shift some guilt onto her so she could feel my pain.

NOW she watches their Sims series and she was telling me that "At first it was really weird just because I couldn't imagine them being romantically together based on their content, but in their recent videos I just see them as a cute gay (as in relationship not orientation) couple. It's just strange to me it was happening the entire time, not just now."

I thought this was interesting because we all think they are branding as more "coupley" but I personally think we are all so "biased" that it's impossible to tell if that's because they changed their behavior or because now that we "know" our phan goggles are making things look different. Thinking about it though I even got SLIGHT couple vibes (but nothing crazy) from the "I Nearly Blinded Myself" video on DINOF which is CRAZY considering what that channel used to be like.

First: I don't think they're "branding as more 'coupley'" so careful with those 'we's'.

Second: Interesting. But your friend is still coming at it with the background info you provided her and will still influence how she perceives them. Like take a random person off the street and show them their recent videos, who knows what they would think. Then show them that video, their thoughts would likely change. Them give them all the backstory yada yada, thoughts could change again. I don't know how anybody could go about getting a completely objective (goggle-less of any kind) view of the two of them as they don't live in a vacuum, we don't live in a vacuum, I don't know where any real meaning could be found at this point outside of all the available information.

Also I think it's pretty clear they've changed their behaviour recently, maybe not drastically as this shift has been in the works for over a year really, but it's a noticeable change (maybe not to a totally casual viewer, but still). But (as an example) the 'touch my heart' moment from Slender is objectively a change from how they approached such interactions in the past. There's no phan goggles making me think that, it just is. Without even going into what the change could mean, without showing my bias, there is definitely a change to be observed with them. (It's possible I misunderstood your last paragraph/your point so if this isn't even relevant, ignore me).

Yeah I actually agree with this too. I didn't really mean they're zalfie branding into this power couple (not that I think zalfie is a power couple :roll: )I just meant MORE so than before, like you said their approach to things changed. I realize that since she saw the video/their reaction after to the video of no homoing she was already biased, but on the other hand that's basically knowing all the facts. I feel like I was just as biased before when I knew nothing about the voldy video and Dan and Phil acted like heterosexual buddies who would be DISGUSTED by even shaking hands with their best friend lol. That's why it's so damn hard to have a clear view on things imo, no matter what with deppy SOMETHING is making you biased.
Image
User avatar
secretagentphan
cheeky #spon
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by papierklemmen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:00 am

when i delved into the phandom this year and caught up on gg i found that people have been seeing signs of them loosening up and being more open and "dropping hints" about them being together/potential coming out since the beginning of times, to the point that people thought that the video phil was uploading when they were both on IoM would be a coming out video and everything went into panic mode LOL.

(i def thought that gamingmas had a different vibe to it and was more relaxed, but when i looked back at their first gaming videos and those from 2015 in the midst of their tour, i realised that they just went back to what they originally were. i think 2015 and half of 2016 they were being really hammy in their videos because of their show theatrics; after all they were playing shows and rehearsing constantly, it's no wonder all the acting seeped into their youtube videos. however, there was still a subtle, but noticeable change, like that abovementioned "feel my heartbeat" moment).

i never thought they were a couple as a casual viewer though, and i was one for a year and a half.
Last edited by papierklemmen on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
papierklemmen
stress mushroom
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:04 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by MoonPride » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:01 am

Ok I showed my 55 year old Mother one of their videos when me and my kiddo was at her house as she wanted to watch Deppy on the huge HD tv, my mum who has no interest in YouTube or any one from it asked us after the video what's going on with them, she said she doesn't know if they are supposed to be best friends or boyfriends, but she did ask me if they was gay.

I think that you can't really ask someone for a honest and fresh opinion on their relationship if you explain what you think or give out a back story to what has happened in the past.
Image
User avatar
MoonPride
ar·tic·u·late
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:01 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by lerien » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:17 am

First, I want to say that I personally don't think they are together romantically even if they're definitely closer imo than "traditionnal friendship".

Anyway. I showed a friend some of their recent videos (mostly baking and gaming videos) and I don't think my friend ever watched their videos before or watches them when I'm not specifically sending him a link. And I was discussing how "no-homo" they used to be in 2012 and how I was happy Dan particularly is not handling his possibly non-straight sexuality as a taboo of some sort. And my friend looked confused and asked me "Wait, they're not together?"
So here you are. Their last videos can definitely look coupley to a casual viewer.

PS: I don't know if it matters but my friend is gay and doesn't have a stereotyped view of genders (like thinking guys can't be touchy with their friends or things like that) but it is possible - he admitted it himself - that he sometimes projects his sexuality. So idk.
PPS: I don't see Dan and Phil as a couple but it might be me projecting as well, I'm aromantic and very close to my friends so. Yeah. I tend to misread romantic behaviours in general.
"I'm okay with things being awkward between us."
lerien
senpai
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by alittledizzy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:23 am

I'm never sure what the point is in trying to prove or disprove that they seem like a couple from casual observation. (I mean, it can be totally fun to discuss, and doesn't bother me; this isn't meant as critique of the conversation just confusion on the sometimes emphasis of that proving or disproving things.)

With Dan and Phil, when trying to decide whether they're a couple or not, I think the context and history of them is far, far more important than how their chemistry reads to someone who may have their own influenced bias or societal bias (apart from any awareness of Dan or Phil) that makes things more or less obvious anyway. Not to mention, there is no one set way in which couples are supposed to act, even if you remove the closeted situation. The moments in which they're 'acting' like a couple are icing on the cake to me, they're the things that make me stop and smile but not what I'm basing any decisions on.

But on the topic of their change in December, yeah, that is interesting to see how the casual fans are reading that. Because as fancybum said, even if there are mixed opinions on what it means or the motive here, there was absolutely a shift in behavior.
User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:09 am
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by Rai » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:35 am

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but when I showed a video of them to my boyfriend last year (it was a casual video, not a PINOF, but one of their Gaming Channel), he was sure they were in a relationship straight away. He was like "oh, they are so cute as a couple" and I went "the f*** did you just say??". Now, he is surprised when I have doubts about their status, because in his opinion it's crystalclear that they are gays and that they are in a relationship.

Maybe my boyfriend is the only cishet man who is not immediately prone to think in an heteronormative way or something, idk but it surprised me in a good way
User avatar
Rai
not a first-time poster
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:07 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by fancybum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:42 am

Rai wrote:Maybe my boyfriend is the only cishet man who is not immediately prone to think in an heteronormative way or something

Rai wrote: in his opinion it's crystalclear that they are gays

Hm.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Image
User avatar
fancybum
cat whiskers
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:06 pm
Location: bork

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by secretagentphan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:47 am

alittledizzy wrote:I'm never sure what the point is in trying to prove or disprove that they seem like a couple from casual observation. (I mean, it can be totally fun to discuss, and doesn't bother me; this isn't meant as critique of the conversation just confusion on the sometimes emphasis of that proving or disproving things.)

With Dan and Phil, when trying to decide whether they're a couple or not, I think the context and history of them is far, far more important than how their chemistry reads to someone who may have their own influenced bias or societal bias (apart from any awareness of Dan or Phil) that makes things more or less obvious anyway. Not to mention, there is no one set way in which couples are supposed to act, even if you remove the closeted situation. The moments in which they're 'acting' like a couple are icing on the cake to me, they're the things that make me stop and smile but not what I'm basing any decisions on.

But on the topic of their change in December, yeah, that is interesting to see how the casual fans are reading that. Because as fancybum said, even if there are mixed opinions on what it means or the motive here, there was absolutely a shift in behavior.

I brought it up more because I think other people's perception of their relationship is interesting, I agree that the only thing that "proves" anything is their history. I feel like if anything, us wanting to know so hard makes us more phanostic because we analyze it so hard we start doubting ourselves. Show a random person Dan and Phil and all their history and I think the logical reaction for the most part is to go "oh they're a couple then." But because we're so invested we don't want to get our hopes up/ overthink.
Image
User avatar
secretagentphan
cheeky #spon
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by alittledizzy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:50 am

secretagentphan wrote:I brought it up more because I think other people's perception of their relationship is interesting, I agree that the only thing that "proves" anything is their history. I feel like if anything, us wanting to know so hard makes us more phanostic because we analyze it so hard we start doubting ourselves. Show a random person Dan and Phil and all their history and I think the logical reaction for the most part is to go "oh they're a couple then." But because we're so invested we don't want to get our hopes up/ overthink.


This, this, for sure. We train ourselves to doubt obvious cues - for any number of reasons - when from the outside looking in the situation (fully explained) looks pretty clear cut to most people.
User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
 
Posts: 1262
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:09 am
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by lurker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:00 am

alittledizzy wrote:I'm never sure what the point is in trying to prove or disprove that they seem like a couple from casual observation. (I mean, it can be totally fun to discuss, and doesn't bother me; this isn't meant as critique of the conversation just confusion on the sometimes emphasis of that proving or disproving things.)


just to add to this -- i don't think that it's generally not interesting to share other people's impressions of deppy, so this is in no way directed at the original question, but in general, if a casual viewer thinks for one reason or the other that they are or are not romantically involved, besides the fact that it will be influenced by any provided background information (as fancybum said), their perception will as well be shaped by their own orientation, experiences, social environment, society, etc. -- no one lives in a bubble. a casual viewer sharing an opinion or impression on deppy's relationship will most likely have judged by comparing their behaviour to their own internal standard on what holds as a platonic or a romantic relationship. as no one is able to "deduct" or "proove" someone's orientations and the nature of their environment, i feel like the conclusions or impression they might arrive at is, if anything, only telling about the viewer themselves. this is not meant in a judging way -- a person with close friends who also express physical closeness will probably be more likely to believe they're platonic friends, things like that. especially in yt comments (i know, i know), there are so many of the "i showed them to my straight best friend and he said it was obvious they were a couple" type comments, and they always make me feel uncomfortable, as they cater to the notion that someone's orientation can somehow be deducted from their behaviour, plus they are mainly telling about our images of masculinity and male-male friendships, but maybe let's not open that tin.
User avatar
lurker
living flop
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:02 am
Pronouns: they/them

Re: Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

PostPosted by 000dia000 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:21 am

I for one, don't really think that experience or outside experience really applies to deppy. (One of my pet peeves is seeing "well me and my friend act like that, and people think we're in a relationship but we're not. I look at my friend like that all the time.")
Sure, it is interesting getting an outsiders opinion, as we do have a tendency to over think and self doubt- but we self doubt for a reason. Not everybody has built up the context of information that we have. Nobody has built a rationale.

When I see someone say " I think they look gay" that says sweet fuck all. Particularly when I know people who would call some guy "gay" with reasoning as little as a funny haircut or introverted personality traits because it doesn't fit their idea of typical masculinity or masculine behaviour.

The fact is, deppy don't apply to the "rules" that other people are fitting to life, and one real life example from someone does not equate their current position, in the slightest.
Image
User avatar
000dia000
woodland creature
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:17 am
Location: Ireland

PreviousNext

Return to danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest