Stephen King's It/reddie

Post Reply
User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by alittledizzy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:15 pm

Alright I know there's at least a handful of IDBers that are into reddie so I want a dumping grounds for fic recs and general discussion that I won't lost track of instantly!

Discussion:

Have you read the book or just seen the movies? Or vice versa? I read the book in the late 90s/early 00s, I've seen the miniseries when I was probably too young for that to have been okay and rewatched it a few years ago, and I've seen both newer movies. I have the book on audio and meant to start it a few weeks ago but then I got sidetracked by Stephen King stuff that came out more recently (I listened to all of The Outsider and then I remembered I used a free audible credit on Lisey's Story a couple years ago and never listened so I am working on that one now). But I do want to read it, I just think I find it weirdly overwhelming/intimidating? Which I wouldn't have before I was in the fandom but now it's just like, here's all this source material and once you read it you're gonna forever know what people get wrong in their characterizations and it might change the way I feel about some fic and as with a lot of things I care about the fic being satisfying to me more than I do the canon source material.

Anyway, that was a ramble. Now the recs!

First: anything by pineapplecrushface

Second: this fic that is pretty fucking AU but also so fucking good, a teen coming of age type story
Wonder Violet

Third: third post-chapter-two Eddie lives au
first love / late spring



User avatar
Ataraxia25
blobfish
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:31 pm
Pronouns: they/them
Location: france

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by Ataraxia25 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:43 pm

Yay, recs !

The 'i'm easy to find' series

The years go by like days (my favourite fic and the best one I've read in this fandom)

Things that happen after Eddie Lives

And anything by plinys !!
<3 <3 <3

Judearaya
spork
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by Judearaya » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:22 pm

so i don't have fic recs yet, I am still recovering from watching both movies over the last couple of days. I remember watching the old one and ooooof hating it. But that's bc I've probably read the book a half dozen times. I haven't read it since IDK...my 20's? I read it a lot as a teen. I want to re-read (or listen) now, but want to finish the fic fest fics first!!

User avatar
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:56 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: canada

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by obsessivelymoody » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:37 am

*cracks knuckles*

So I'm really only in this fandom because of a friend of mine and Bill Hader. Like dizzy said, I also watched the miniseries when I was too young to really even get it. So when the new movies came out I thought "nah, I watched the original series, I'm loyal to my fave Tim Curry, I don't need to see that!"...which is hilarious because I also happen to love Bill Hader, and when my friend went to see Chapter 2 only for Bill and fell in love with reddie, I knew I was a goner and they were gonna drag me down with them.

Anyway, here I am now, having read the book, rewatched the miniseries (extremely painful to get through, very much a product of it's time, baby moody did NOT remember it being that bad lol), seen the two movies too many times to count now, written a fic with a few more on the way, constantly reading new fics all the time. I'm basically in very deep, and have several thousands of words in me to write essays about It, which I'll probably dump here now lol.

But to start off, here's some recs!

we were always here at the right time by fuckener - basically just beautiful writing and storytelling, and the kind of fix-it fic that makes you ache because of the pining and tension but the release is so, so worth the journey and is so fucking sweet.

Burn Baby Burn by dgalerab - Eddie is a firefighter and Richie is a disaster gay. Need I say more?

And tbh anything by dgalerab, they're so good.

Risk Analysis by MellytheHun - Ripped me to shreds and glued me very carefully back together.

this language that exists in the silence by theappleppielifestyle - everyone lives (including Stan!) and the mighty turtle god is very much present! Also the Losers are all hangin'. It's wonderful.

And finally, a song rec. Aptly titled Richie Tozier, and completely about him, this song fucking slaps and I highly recommend it: https://open.spotify.com/track/3Hk9xEJH ... FfRDZKyDQg

Judearaya
spork
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by Judearaya » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:03 pm

super new, but I've only read a fic or two by our Beloved Dizzy, so I 10/10 recomment. Also I know tortitaby is dipping a toe in so I 100 wanna give some <3 to them (sorry i know I didn't like I'm the worst I have a splitting headache rn). After I re-read the book I might get lost in some reddie fic and ruin my chances of every finishing my PhD bc I will be lost to two fandoms.

Tortitabby
not a first-time poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:50 am

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by Tortitabby » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:36 am

Alright. Here's the thing.
I don't know how to do anything on line lmao. So if this reply is a mess or it's in the wrong spot I'm sorry. (I finally made an IDB account yay! :ghostclaps: )
I'm going to try to not just be super distracted by the smilies.
Anyway I haven't read the book yet and years and years ago I watched the miniseries. I can't say I'm going to commit to rewatching it based on what i remember and other people's reactions to that but who knows.
I just recently watched chapter 2 and then a week (and two fics later) I rewatched it again. And then wrote anotherfic. lol.I have to be honest I am far down this rabbit hole. I plan on getting a hold of the book and reading it even though I know all things reddie
weren't cannon until chapter two. is that a spoiler? surely everyone in this thread knows???
But I am hear to read way too much into the subtext and cry all over again.

In this cold heart by pineapple crush face

This kills monsters by miniatures

keep talking. i'll keep walking to the ... our voice. by theappleppielifestyle

I feel like I might not be linking these right so we'll see
I've also read a bunch so I need to really look but i can't wait to read more of these!

Tortitabby
not a first-time poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:50 am

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by Tortitabby » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:37 am

Yeah I didn't do that right but at least there are some titles? I'll figure this IDB thing out bare with me lol

Judearaya
spork
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by Judearaya » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:58 pm

so i am starting a re-read of the book now. I haven't read it in like a decade, but it used to be my favorite book. It's interesting to come back to after that long.

Anyone wanna join me in a re read?

User avatar
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:56 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: canada

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by obsessivelymoody » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:59 pm

A rec for you folks: Until the Water Runs Clear by colonel_bastard - an amazing fic depicting their first time having penetrative sex- as adults!! Something we definitely don't get enough of!! And it's so fucking sweet and the characterization is *chef's kiss*

Judearaya
spork
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by Judearaya » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:58 pm

obsessivelymoody wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:59 pm
A rec for you folks: Until the Water Runs Clear by colonel_bastard - an amazing fic depicting their first time having penetrative sex- as adults!! Something we definitely don't get enough of!! And it's so fucking sweet and the characterization is *chef's kiss*
oh thanks!! I love when things get the chef's kiss!

So ok on another note. I have been doing a re read of the book, and I know Mandy has talked about subtext, but I felt like it was so much more present in the film. IDK if this is just a visual thing. Bc Eddie reads *so* differently in the book than he does in the movie to me. BUT Mandy did you say you read articles or saw stuff where SK confirmed things?

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by alittledizzy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Judearaya wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:58 pm
obsessivelymoody wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:59 pm
A rec for you folks: Until the Water Runs Clear by colonel_bastard - an amazing fic depicting their first time having penetrative sex- as adults!! Something we definitely don't get enough of!! And it's so fucking sweet and the characterization is *chef's kiss*
oh thanks!! I love when things get the chef's kiss!

So ok on another note. I have been doing a re read of the book, and I know Mandy has talked about subtext, but I felt like it was so much more present in the film. IDK if this is just a visual thing. Bc Eddie reads *so* differently in the book than he does in the movie to me. BUT Mandy did you say you read articles or saw stuff where SK confirmed things?
No he actually says he didn't intend on subtext but he was also coked out of his fucking mind the whole time he wrote it and I'm gonna say that he was visited by some cocaine spirits during the writing process who whispered gay it the fuck up in his ear and therefore he did. Basically I accept his lack of intention as his personal truth and consider it mutually compatible with him writing subtext based on the context of the writing process.

Because I'll be honest I really did think that he wrote it that way on purpose when I first read it. I should also reread it, I have the audiobook but I keep listening to other things first. I think my subconscious is just like 'okay but fic is better.'

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by alittledizzy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm

I'm also gonna drop this here because it cracked me up when I saw it.


Judearaya
spork
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by Judearaya » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm
Judearaya wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:58 pm

So ok on another note. I have been doing a re read of the book, and I know Mandy has talked about subtext, but I felt like it was so much more present in the film. IDK if this is just a visual thing. Bc Eddie reads *so* differently in the book than he does in the movie to me. BUT Mandy did you say you read articles or saw stuff where SK confirmed things?
No he actually says he didn't intend on subtext but he was also coked out of his fucking mind the whole time he wrote it and I'm gonna say that he was visited by some cocaine spirits during the writing process who whispered gay it the fuck up in his ear and therefore he did. Basically I accept his lack of intention as his personal truth and consider it mutually compatible with him writing subtext based on the context of the writing process.

Because I'll be honest I really did think that he wrote it that way on purpose when I first read it. I should also reread it, I have the audiobook but I keep listening to other things first. I think my subconscious is just like 'okay but fic is better.'
first attempt at multiple quote while removing some...let's see what happens. Maybe it was you or someone else who said he was down with it in the movie though? bc I was A+ for the movie as far as reddie, esp as kids (though the tragedy of how much they had to cut of the kids story to even fit it into two movies will always break me a little lol).

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 5779
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by alittledizzy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 pm

Judearaya wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm
alittledizzy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm
Judearaya wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:58 pm

So ok on another note. I have been doing a re read of the book, and I know Mandy has talked about subtext, but I felt like it was so much more present in the film. IDK if this is just a visual thing. Bc Eddie reads *so* differently in the book than he does in the movie to me. BUT Mandy did you say you read articles or saw stuff where SK confirmed things?
No he actually says he didn't intend on subtext but he was also coked out of his fucking mind the whole time he wrote it and I'm gonna say that he was visited by some cocaine spirits during the writing process who whispered gay it the fuck up in his ear and therefore he did. Basically I accept his lack of intention as his personal truth and consider it mutually compatible with him writing subtext based on the context of the writing process.

Because I'll be honest I really did think that he wrote it that way on purpose when I first read it. I should also reread it, I have the audiobook but I keep listening to other things first. I think my subconscious is just like 'okay but fic is better.'
first attempt at multiple quote while removing some...let's see what happens. Maybe it was you or someone else who said he was down with it in the movie though? bc I was A+ for the movie as far as reddie, esp as kids (though the tragedy of how much they had to cut of the kids story to even fit it into two movies will always break me a little lol).
Oh yeah he was definitely down with it for the movie! He said he thought it was a really good addition to the script and made a lot of sense.

Judearaya
spork
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by Judearaya » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:58 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 pm
Judearaya wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm
alittledizzy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm
Judearaya wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:58 pm

So ok on another note. I have been doing a re read of the book, and I know Mandy has talked about subtext, but I felt like it was so much more present in the film. IDK if this is just a visual thing. Bc Eddie reads *so* differently in the book than he does in the movie to me. BUT Mandy did you say you read articles or saw stuff where SK confirmed things?
No he actually says he didn't intend on subtext but he was also coked out of his fucking mind the whole time he wrote it and I'm gonna say that he was visited by some cocaine spirits during the writing process who whispered gay it the fuck up in his ear and therefore he did. Basically I accept his lack of intention as his personal truth and consider it mutually compatible with him writing subtext based on the context of the writing process.

Because I'll be honest I really did think that he wrote it that way on purpose when I first read it. I should also reread it, I have the audiobook but I keep listening to other things first. I think my subconscious is just like 'okay but fic is better.'
first attempt at multiple quote while removing some...let's see what happens. Maybe it was you or someone else who said he was down with it in the movie though? bc I was A+ for the movie as far as reddie, esp as kids (though the tragedy of how much they had to cut of the kids story to even fit it into two movies will always break me a little lol).
Oh yeah he was definitely down with it for the movie! He said he thought it was a really good addition to the script and made a lot of sense.
I am so curious about how they did Eddie too! he was such a SASS master in the movie.

User avatar
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:56 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: canada

Re: Stephen King's It/reddie

Post by obsessivelymoody » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:19 am

alittledizzy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm
Judearaya wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:58 pm
obsessivelymoody wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:59 pm
A rec for you folks: Until the Water Runs Clear by colonel_bastard - an amazing fic depicting their first time having penetrative sex- as adults!! Something we definitely don't get enough of!! And it's so fucking sweet and the characterization is *chef's kiss*
oh thanks!! I love when things get the chef's kiss!

So ok on another note. I have been doing a re read of the book, and I know Mandy has talked about subtext, but I felt like it was so much more present in the film. IDK if this is just a visual thing. Bc Eddie reads *so* differently in the book than he does in the movie to me. BUT Mandy did you say you read articles or saw stuff where SK confirmed things?
No he actually says he didn't intend on subtext but he was also coked out of his fucking mind the whole time he wrote it and I'm gonna say that he was visited by some cocaine spirits during the writing process who whispered gay it the fuck up in his ear and therefore he did. Basically I accept his lack of intention as his personal truth and consider it mutually compatible with him writing subtext based on the context of the writing process.

Because I'll be honest I really did think that he wrote it that way on purpose when I first read it. I should also reread it, I have the audiobook but I keep listening to other things first. I think my subconscious is just like 'okay but fic is better.'
To jump completely unsolicitedly in here, I did a mix of reading and audiobook-ing the book, and maybe I could have been looking right at it with my fanon goggles superglued to my face, but there are SO many aspects of the book that really point to Eddie being a queer man. The nature of his relationship with Myra, the way It manifests as the homeless man saying he'll give Eddie a blowjob, the way some of the comments from his mother hit him...just to name a few. I just think there's so many points that point to him being objectively gay. And I guess the fact that the gay bashing scene is what inspired King to write the book from real events and being drugged out of his mind like dizzy said, probably have a massive influence on the way he wrote the book (the high part more so, definitely lmao).

Also, speaking of the article, I think this might be the one? I found it to be a fascinating read from his perspective.

Post Reply