LGBT Film, TV Show, and Book Recs

Templeofshame
lady door
Pronouns: she/her

Re: LGBT Film, TV Show, and Book Recs

Post by Templeofshame » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:06 pm

Book recs inspired by @katka in the main thread, I did a quick search so hopefully these are recs that aren't already mentioned in this thread but I'm not sure. LGBT scifi/fantasy is my area of specialization, at least for this list:

Ancestral Night by Elizabeth Bear is about a lesbian on a space salvage mission and addresses being a lesbian in a world of futuristic romantic and sexual norms.

Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children series books probably all have at least an LGBT side character, but Down Among the Sticks & Bones and Come Tumbling Down are centrally about lesbians (and they're all about kids who go through doorways to other worlds). (warning for a bury-your-gays who doesn't stay dead but I was pissed because I didn't know)

Borderline & sequels by Mishell Baker, Adventures of a disabled bi woman protagonist working on the border of LA and a fairy world.

Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon is about queer & trans people on an enormous, racistly-stratified spaceship.

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jeminsen (I haven't read the sequels yet) has queer and trans characters on a planet with times of devastating climate change, oppressed mages, and I am really bad at explaining books with complex worldbuilding.

Once & Future by Amy Rose Capetta and Cori McCarthy is a lighter but fun queer sci-fi King Arthur story with a queer refugee girl as Arthur. Secondary characters are mostly queer, one genderqueer.

Templeofshame
lady door
Pronouns: she/her

Re: LGBT Film, TV Show, and Book Recs

Post by Templeofshame » Wed May 06, 2020 5:23 pm

I don't know if anyone reads this thread but I just remembered two big oversights in terms of LGBT sf that I love:
An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green is one people probably know because YouTuber, but the strange robot/alien mystery of it and the explorations of internet fame also come with a queer woman of color as protagonist. I still ship Maypril.

Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente is about a genderqueer pansexual glam rocker who has to represent Earth in an extremely high-stakes version of Eurovision. Also it's hilarious.