Star Trek (open spoilers for Discovery)

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Any Star Trek fans here? Anyone watching Discovery?
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Me!
I'm lately rewatching DS9 for maybe the 4th time and been following Discovery. Really enjoying the characters and the overall visuals of the new series, and just generally interested to see how it goes. It feel more advanced technology-wise than some of the Treks that are set more further in the future but I suppose if they didn't have new tech to play with, the series might seem less exciting?

Oh, and semi-related (?), the spore things, they remind me of the protomolecules from another sci-fi series, The Expanse. Just visually, I mean.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

yaaaassss star trek! I'm technically still making my way through tng although I'm stuck somewhere in season 4 (I think),and other than that I've only seen the original series and some bits and pieces of the other series. I'm working on it! Bit overwhelmed at times by how much star trek content there is tbh. I only started watching all the old series & movies some point last year, so it's going to take me a while to really catch up.

But I'm watching every new Discovery episode the day it comes out. So far:
-I really, really dislike Lorca, to a point where I'm kind of ranting about it on tumblr (though I might be a bit shouty already because of a different series I'm watching that has equally annoying men)
-what the hell is up with sarek too
-I do like pretty much all other characters and I'm very curious to see how everything's going to develop because right now I'm mostly just ????

Considering how all the ships in future series still use warp I'm assuming the spore thing eventually won't work out, unless this series is also set in the AOS (in which case I'd love a cameo by zach quinto and chris pine please and thank you)

One of my friends also said the way the ship twists/rotates (?) when starting the spore propulsion thing looks both really weird and kinda cool, which I have to agree with. I didn't know starships could move like that.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

pilotlight wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:24 am Me!
I'm lately rewatching DS9 for maybe the 4th time and been following Discovery. Really enjoying the characters and the overall visuals of the new series, and just generally interested to see how it goes. It feel more advanced technology-wise than some of the Treks that are set more further in the future but I suppose if they didn't have new tech to play with, the series might seem less exciting?

Oh, and semi-related (?), the spore things, they remind me of the protomolecules from another sci-fi series, The Expanse. Just visually, I mean.
Nice! I rewatched DS9 last year, and I'm rewatching Voyager this year. Man, I fucking love those two shows.

They are definitely not trying to capture the aesthetic feel of original Trek with the old one. It's a bit jarring, but I guess it makes sense. It would just not hold up against other scifi of this era if they mimicked the low quality tech aspect of the sixties show exactly.

Though it does still make me bitter that Trek as a franchise seems stuck going backwards, not forwards. First Enterprise, then AOS as the movie series, now this. I look forward to the day when we get a post-Voyager timeline series. Or even something that focuses more on the political DS9 type feel, we basically never got past the Dominion War.

I do love Discovery so far, though.
citizen_erased wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 amyaaaassss star trek! I'm technically still making my way through tng although I'm stuck somewhere in season 4 (I think),and other than that I've only seen the original series and some bits and pieces of the other series. I'm working on it! Bit overwhelmed at times by how much star trek content there is tbh. I only started watching all the old series & movies some point last year, so it's going to take me a while to really catch up.
I tried to rewatch TNG once and couldn't actually make it through. I think it's too steeped in nostalgia for me; I basically grew up with it, so I desperately love the characters, but the storytelling can be pretty stiff. I realized I like it better in my memory than in reality. I would really love to hear what your likes/dislikes are, though - I don't know many people are watching it for the first time now!
citizen_erased wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 amBut I'm watching every new Discovery episode the day it comes out. So far:
-I really, really dislike Lorca, to a point where I'm kind of ranting about it on tumblr (though I might be a bit shouty already because of a different series I'm watching that has equally annoying men)
-I do like pretty much all other characters and I'm very curious to see how everything's going to develop because right now I'm mostly just ????

Considering how all the ships in future series still use warp I'm assuming the spore thing eventually won't work out, unless this series is also set in the AOS (in which case I'd love a cameo by zach quinto and chris pine please and thank you)

One of my friends also said the way the ship twists/rotates (?) when starting the spore propulsion thing looks both really weird and kinda cool, which I have to agree with. I didn't know starships could move like that.
Definitely share your dislike of Lorca, for sure. My biggest concern with Discovery right now is that they're gonna jump on board the trendy Game of Thrones-esque theme and randomly kill off main characters just to prove that they're edgy and dark. I think the heart of Star Trek (science, discovery, conflict when exploring the universe) is obviously there but I'm a bit eh on how much gore they've introduced and how many proposed minority main cast members they've killed. I really want it to settle into a rhythm where there are characters we really get to be attached to without thinking we could lose them any episode.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:48 pm
citizen_erased wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 amyaaaassss star trek! I'm technically still making my way through tng although I'm stuck somewhere in season 4 (I think),and other than that I've only seen the original series and some bits and pieces of the other series. I'm working on it! Bit overwhelmed at times by how much star trek content there is tbh. I only started watching all the old series & movies some point last year, so it's going to take me a while to really catch up.
I tried to rewatch TNG once and couldn't actually make it through. I think it's too steeped in nostalgia for me; I basically grew up with it, so I desperately love the characters, but the storytelling can be pretty stiff. I realized I like it better in my memory than in reality. I would really love to hear what your likes/dislikes are, though - I don't know many people are watching it for the first time now!
Hmm, thoughts on tng from a first-time watcher? Technically speaking, I did see it as a child from when my mom was watching, but I was really small (and they might've been German dubs though I'm not sure) so I barely remembered any of it. I gotta admit I think I'm just getting a bit bored with it? I feel like they're just repeating a lot of themes and there's not a lot of excitement left after several seasons. With TOS you never knew what kind of wacky stuff they'd come up with, but here it's like 'oh look. emotional crisis. sudden children. family issues. where are the weird aliens.'

I do love the characters, but maybe their main cast is a bit too big to really give everyone the time they deserve. At some point, you're just kind of done with all of Worf's Klingon struggles. Like yes, I know you're Klingon, can we move on now. I adore the episodes with Q though, I love how he messes with Picard and Riker :lol:
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:48 pm
citizen_erased wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 amBut I'm watching every new Discovery episode the day it comes out. So far:

Definitely share your dislike of Lorca, for sure. My biggest concern with Discovery right now is that they're gonna jump on board the trendy Game of Thrones-esque theme and randomly kill off main characters just to prove that they're edgy and dark. I think the heart of Star Trek (science, discovery, conflict when exploring the universe) is obviously there but I'm a bit eh on how much gore they've introduced and how many proposed minority main cast members they've killed. I really want it to settle into a rhythm where there are characters we really get to be attached to without thinking we could lose them any episode.
Yeah I had a similar concern about the killing off of especially minority main cast members after yesterday's episode. I already didn't expect to see so little from Georgiou, but now this? One of the things I love about the original series was knowing 100% sure that the main characters would always live, I don't like that kind of insecurity where my faves can die any moment. The show does also feel very edgy and dark, which I suppose would make sense considering Michael's specific situation, but still, I was hoping for a bit more lighthearted banter somewhere.

And oh god the gore, I did NOT see that amount of gore coming in a star trek series. :yuck:
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

citizen_erased wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 pm I do love the characters, but maybe their main cast is a bit too big to really give everyone the time they deserve. At some point, you're just kind of done with all of Worf's Klingon struggles. Like yes, I know you're Klingon, can we move on now. I adore the episodes with Q though, I love how he messes with Picard and Riker :lol:
I grew up watching TNG with my mom (she lovvvves it and TOS, and collects the books too) so I'm fond of it, but yeahhh, I think you're right. They didn't even seemed to know what to do with some of the characters sometimes, so they just kind of occupied space and seemed concerned while random one-off or sometimes-recurring characters got more fun things to do.

Speaking of that, I agree about Q! He and Lwaxana Troi are two of my favourites, I love the episodes they feature in.

re: killing off characters on Discovery
I couldn't believed they got rid of Rekha Sharma's character so soon. :( Really disappointing.
loonyradish
living flop

Ooh there's a Star Trek thread, that's awesome!
I have only watched TOS and Enterprise so far, but I'd like to start DS9 or Voyager (can't decide between them so far).

I seem to be the only one here who really, really dislikes Discovery though. I watched the first episode and skipped through episode 2 and 3. Idk, I liked the first few minutes, but then the story became so over-dramatic and they seemed to focus more on those exessive lense flare special effects. I also think it lacked at least a small pinch of humor?
To quote citizen_erased,
I was hoping for a bit more lighthearted banter somewhere.
And then I'm more a fan of self-contained episodes, rather than one movie-like story, but that's another thing.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

loonyradish wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:40 pm Ooh there's a Star Trek thread, that's awesome!
I have only watched TOS and Enterprise so far, but I'd like to start DS9 or Voyager (can't decide between them so far).

I seem to be the only one here who really, really dislikes Discovery though. I watched the first episode and skipped through episode 2 and 3. Idk, I liked the first few minutes, but then the story became so over-dramatic and they seemed to focus more on those exessive lense flare special effects. I also think it lacked at least a small pinch of humor?
To quote citizen_erased,
I was hoping for a bit more lighthearted banter somewhere.
And then I'm more a fan of self-contained episodes, rather than one movie-like story, but that's another thing.
I'd definitely say DS9 then Voyager; the air time for the shows overlapped, and since DS9 came first it help set up the basic premise of Voyager.

I do also hope that Discovery finds some more humor and lightness in the tone but I think the fourth episode warmed me up a lot. I saw more heart in it.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

sooo anyone else watching season 2 of discovery? I'm enjoying it more than season 1 so far, even if
they seem to be messing with Spock's story a LOT and he's so incredibly dramatic, I don't know what to think of this yet.
But I still love Tilly's character, s2 feels a bit more like classic Trek, I really like Pike so far as well, and I'm curious to see where the story is going this season.

Also, I'm STILL working my way through TNG and my comment on this still stands:
citizen_erased wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 pm At some point, you're just kind of done with all of Worf's Klingon struggles. Like yes, I know you're Klingon, can we move on now.
I'm at s6e23 and I just. Please. I'm so done with Worf's Klingon struggles. SO DONE. He's also in DS9 right? Is there less of the Klingon drama in that?

And finally on a related note: apparently we're not getting any more reboot movies. Which makes me sad, because I really liked Beyond, and there'd been such good news for a while, with Chris Hemsworth maybe signing on and Simon Pegg working on the script etc. But then contract negotiations fell through and everything's cancelled. :brokenheart:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

To answer alittledizzy's original question, I love Star Trek! I wanted to post when I saw activity in this thread because I'm literally watching the series finale to Star Trek: Voyager tonight after watching the whole series start-to-finish for the first time.

I first got into Star Trek when I was a teenager watching TNG reruns on the Spike channel (possibly the only good thing about that channel). Later, they added Voyager, which I also thought was good. In 2015 or 2016, I watched all of TNG from start-to-finish, including all of the movies, for the first time, and it was a good time. Now, doing this for Voyager for the first time, I'm struck by just how incredible the series is!

I haven't seen a single episode of any other Star Trek series, but I have seen parts of The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock and the entirety of The Voyage Home (which I can't say I much cared for at the time). I've also seen the movies Star Trek and Into Darkness, but I haven't yet seen Beyond. One day I'll do a marathon of all of the original movies plus the "reboot" movies.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
jesp
why bother

I love Star Trek.

I'm finding that the closer we get to the end of S2 of Discovery the less I'm enjoying the episodes. They don't feel like Star Trek, and even though the series does many things right - why wouldn't the main viewscreen show relevant information? - it doesn't hit the right buttons for me. I paused the last episode twice out of boredom, and eventually gave up with twenty minutes to go. No episode of Star Trek has made me feel like that, not even ones with warp 10 lizards.

I'm not invested in Michael, or her family drama, despite how much it is shoved down our throats. Voyager {my favourite} did have some issues{the reset of the ship and characters at the start of each episode for one}, but it didn't dwell too much on family drama, or focus too much on one character. Neither did DS9, and when it did cover family, it felt natural. Ben Sisko and Jake's relationship was great and I appreciate it even more as an adult {and as someone that's never had a dad}, but Discovery's Michael and her mother/Spock/Sarek/Amanda don't hold any appeal.

At the start of S2 I had really high hopes. The second episode was amazing - it felt like Star Trek, and was the first episode to do so. The rest of the season has been family drama. There were rumours that the Red Angel could be an Iconian which would have been an amazing direction to take the story, but it turned out to be Michael's mother. We had a heartbreaking reunion of Stamets and Culber followed by a heartbreaking separation of Stamets and Culber, and then everyone seemed to forget about them. Tilly, who could have been a really complex and relatable character, has been relegated to nothing but comic relief. Saru stopped being afraid, turned in to a bit of a douche, and no one has said anything to him. I'm also glad the Klingon stuff is over, and really really hope it isn't brought back, especially now Tyler is back. And time travel. I'm so, so sick of time travel.

I will give Discovery one firm thumbs up, though - the uniforms are great at showing off their butts. Especially Pike's.

Ultimately, to me, it isn't Star Trek. I'm not heartbroken over it, but I hope one day we see something set in the decades after Voyager made it back to earth. Or a Battle of Wolf 359 film.