Sport thread

daphenaxa
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

teamug wrote: Unlike Ice Dance, there the changes made had saved that sport for me. It's what I most enjoy watching out of figure skating. For some reason, pairs (which used to be my favorite) has become boring and repetitive and at this years' worlds I was disappointed in the singles' performances.

I love the Olympics. Summer, Winter, overjoyed every two years. And each time, I end up being seduced by a random sport, and I have to atleast watch every single competition. There's been curling, badminton, and others that I would not otherwise have any interest in, but during the olympics, I am obsessed.
I agree with you on ice dance, especially this year at worlds the level was incredible. But i am surprised you were disappointed in the singles. Men free skate I am kinda with you, Yuzuru's relative meltdown honestly made me SO SAD for him but still there were some great performances?
Ladies I completely disagree, it was one of the most disputed worlds, and nearly everyone in the last two groups went clean, which never happens.
Pairs was very disappointing I agree, the Chinese and Russians underperformed unfortunately and they are the top quality teams imo.

The olympics are the best lol. I watch every sport even the ones I don't like much, it's just so exciting. I became obsessed with badminton too at one time, it's such a crazy sport and all the matches are on youtube which makes it really easy to follow!
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
vincentian
hobbit hair

daphenaxa wrote:My favourite sport is figure skating. I am completely cuckoo about it. I watch everything. Now it's Worlds actually and I watch all night on crappy Rossiya 1 or Eurosport streams. It's wonderful and my favourites are leading so far. I am very scared of the withdrawal syndrome that's soon to come as its the end of the season and it won't start before september again
Hi, fellow figure skating fan here, it's the only sport I've been passionate about for about a decade. I religiously watch all competitions as well, mainly single skating. 2015-2016 season has been amazing imo, the technical aspect of men single skating moved to another level in terms of number and variety of quads & so many new talented skaters appeared. Worlds were quite entertaining and eventful too, some unexpected results. Team Challenge Cup soon. :P
teamug wrote:I used to love watching figure skating, but am plagued by commentators who ruin the whole event, I need to hear the music more and hear them squawk less.
If I'm annoyed by commentators, I try to find an international stream, there's usually one if you search for it, without any comments. Though I'm used to the commentator on the one that I watch.
daphenaxa
blobfish

vincentian wrote:
daphenaxa wrote:My favourite sport is figure skating. I am completely cuckoo about it. I watch everything. Now it's Worlds actually and I watch all night on crappy Rossiya 1 or Eurosport streams. It's wonderful and my favourites are leading so far. I am very scared of the withdrawal syndrome that's soon to come as its the end of the season and it won't start before september again
Hi, fellow figure skating fan here, it's the only sport I've been passionate about for about a decade. I religiously watch all competitions as well, mainly single skating. 2015-2016 season has been amazing imo, the technical aspect of men single skating moved to another level in terms of number and variety of quads & so many new talented skaters appeared. Worlds were quite entertaining and eventful too, some unexpected results. Team Challenge Cup soon. :P
ahah hi. Yeah i agree worlds was a roller coaster of emotions. I thought the ladies were all AMAZING. What a great competition. Men have become the most disputed and challenging discipline I agree that season was so good. I was kinda heartbroken for Yuzuru at worlds though as I think it really was his season but hey. Because i am I don't discriminate and watch pairs and dance as avidly. Can't wait for Team challenge cup because the withdrawal symptoms are high. I've been watching since 2001 actually when i was 3 and fell under the spell of Plushenko...
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
vincentian
hobbit hair

daphenaxa wrote: ahah hi. Yeah i agree worlds was a roller coaster of emotions. I thought the ladies were all AMAZING. What a great competition. Men have become the most disputed and challenging discipline I agree that season was so good. I was kinda heartbroken for Yuzuru at worlds though as I think it really was his season but hey. Because i am I don't discriminate and watch pairs and dance as avidly. Can't wait for Team challenge cup because the withdrawal symptoms are high. I've been watching since 2001 actually when i was 3 and fell under the spell of Plushenko...
I felt heartbroken for Patrick, he is amazing, but it was his own fault this time.. Really hope he won't finish his career yet, I'm a fan. Yuzuru is always ahead of everybody ever these days (fairly so), let somedbody else Javier win for once :lol: (I love him tho, and 2nd in the Worlds is not bad). Agree that ladies were phenomenal, very strong&almost clean performances from all top 5. I stopped watching pairs when Savchenko/Szolkowy left (now watch only highlights), impressed with the progress that S/Massot made so quickly. Yes, withdrawal is hard, especially between seasons. I was drawn to f.s. by Slutskaya, Joubert, Lambiel, and Plushenko was obviously great too.
daphenaxa
blobfish

vincentian wrote:
daphenaxa wrote: ahah hi. Yeah i agree worlds was a roller coaster of emotions. I thought the ladies were all AMAZING. What a great competition. Men have become the most disputed and challenging discipline I agree that season was so good. I was kinda heartbroken for Yuzuru at worlds though as I think it really was his season but hey. Because i am I don't discriminate and watch pairs and dance as avidly. Can't wait for Team challenge cup because the withdrawal symptoms are high. I've been watching since 2001 actually when i was 3 and fell under the spell of Plushenko...
I felt heartbroken for Patrick, he is amazing, but it was his own fault this time.. Really hope he won't finish his career yet, I'm a fan. Yuzuru is always ahead of everybody ever these days (fairly so), let somedbody else Javier win for once :lol: (I love him tho, and 2nd in the Worlds is not bad). Agree that ladies were phenomenal, very strong&almost clean performances from all top 5. I stopped watching pairs when Savchenko/Szolkowy left (now watch only highlights), impressed with the progress that S/Massot made so quickly. Yes, withdrawal is hard, especially between seasons. I was drawn to f.s. by Slutskaya, Joubert, Lambiel, and Plushenko was obviously great too.
aw I don't think Patrick will stop now. His worlds were not very good but he had an amazing 4continents and an overall ok season. I am sure he will still challenge for all the podiums if he stays. I am a huge Mao Asada hubber fan and she didn't do that well either in her comeback even though her free program at worlds was gorgeous. It is always very hard the 1st year of a come-back. But they will be fine. And we need "veterans" with good skating skills!
Ho no doubt Javier won fair and square but given his overall amazing season, I felt Yuzu deserved the world title so I was super sad when he couldn't achieve that. Yeah Aljona is amazing. omg I was a huge fan of Slutskaya and Joubert too :platonic: that's cool you were too. It's kinda rare to meet Slutskaya fans since every one seems to be team Kwan.
vincentian
hobbit hair

daphenaxa wrote:I am a huge Mao Asada hubber fan and she didn't do that well either in her comeback even though her free program at worlds was gorgeous. It is always very hard the 1st year of a come-back. But they will be fine. And we need "veterans" with good skating skills!
daphenaxa wrote:omg I was a huge fan of Slutskaya and Joubert too :platonic: that's cool you were too. It's kinda rare to meet Slutskaya fans since every one seems to be team Kwan.
:platonic:
daphenaxa
blobfish

Djokovic is out of the Monte-Carlo masters!! (beaten by Vesely in the second round)
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

daphenaxa wrote:Djokovic is out of the Monte-Carlo masters!! (beaten by Vesely in the second round)
That was such a shock!! Vesely is the lowest ranked player Novak's lost to since 2010, he did so well to pull it off and not succumb to nerves. Can't help but perhaps foolishly dream that Rafa might win it now, though the Thiem match might well be tough. So many good matches tomorrow, not sure how well my revision's going to fare in the face of it!
SquishPhan
capita£ester

daphenaxa wrote:Djokovic is out of the Monte-Carlo masters!! (beaten by Vesely in the second round)
I'm kind of happy about it, I always find it a bit boring if one person just keeps on winning. Unless the person is Dutch, then it's usually fine. ;)
daphenaxa
blobfish

internetakeover wrote:
That was such a shock!! Vesely is the lowest ranked player Novak's lost to since 2010, he did so well to pull it off and not succumb to nerves. Can't help but perhaps foolishly dream that Rafa might win it now, though the Thiem match might well be tough. So many good matches tomorrow, not sure how well my revision's going to fare in the face of it!
agreed I am SO PULLING for Rafa now pretty pleaaaaaase.
It's crazy though it is only the 2nd match Djokovic has lost in 2016!!!!
internetakeover
lady door

daphenaxa wrote:
internetakeover wrote:
agreed I am SO PULLING for Rafa now pretty pleaaaaaase.
It's crazy though it is only the 2nd match Djokovic has lost in 2016!!!!
He beat Wawrinka so convincingly (not that Stan was exactly his best), I am ridiculously hopeful and happy right now!! I love Andy incredible amounts, but can't see him posing an issue for Rafa right now, not on clay. Fantasising about a Federer/Nadal final like it's 2006, not 2016...

Yeah, and Nole's other loss was a retirement, it is ridiculous! Getting ahead of myself in hoping that Rafa can knock him down a peg on clay this year, it's honestly just a little boring to watch that kind of domination when it's not one of your favourites.

Looking forward to a wet qualifying session - and return to the 2015 rules, finally :roll: - in the F1 this weekend, too. My revision is screwed...
daphenaxa
blobfish

doesn't look too good for Rafa atm. :? lost 1st set. battles in the second tho.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

daphenaxa wrote:doesn't look too good for Rafa atm. :? lost 1st set. battles in the second tho.
Seems like he managed to pull through as he placed himself for the finals. Good on him.
daphenaxa
blobfish

yop Murray had a meltdown in the 3rd tbh. but was a weird atmosphere, there were some drama with the umpire.
rafa against either Monfils or Tsonga in the finale
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Why is it when you watch a f1 race, nothing interesting happens, and then when you forget about race day, suddenly remember, but recall the last boring race, and choose not to watch, then everything happens in that race, and everyone keeps telling you how exciting it was. head-meet-brick-wall.

Just bringing back ice-skating for a moment, I was very disappointed last year, when the Olympics Committee (or whoever decides) did not make synchronized ice skating an olympic sport. Wasn't always a fan, but its really grown on me. More exposure needed.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Good on Rafa for winning the Monte Carlo masters. Hopefully this gives him a confidence boost heading towards Roland Garros.
daphenaxa
blobfish

Nadal/Djokovic tomo for quarter final in Rome. That is gonna be really interesting given how they both played today. Rafa played really well and Djokovic got bagelled in the 1st set. I honestly couldn't believe it. But even after that, in the 3rd set he wasn't playing well at all but Bellucci had a melt-down and was putting everything outside, I wanted to slap him.

Goffin also bicycled Berdych. I am no Berdych fan but that was tough. Such a weird evening session.
daphenaxa
blobfish

When Hamilton and Rosberg took themselves out my whole family cheered like Serbia had won the world cup. I am not kidding that was insane. And i was like ooops, i wonder if Dan is watching.
internetakeover
lady door

Sad Rafa lost to Djokovic, he was playing so well and nearly won both sets! Would have loved for him to have that confidence boost before RG but hopefully the close competition will go some way towards it. Now dreaming that Murray might beat Nole in the final, as unlikely as that seems. Happy for Serena's win too, quite reassuring to see after she pulled out of Madrid, and lovely to see Madison Keys in such a big final.
dapenaxa wrote:When Hamilton and Rosberg took themselves out my whole family cheered like Serbia had won the world cup. I am not kidding that was insane. And i was like ooops, i wonder if Dan is watching.
I actually screamed, it was kind of embarrassing! Great race from then on, maybe Mercedes should crash more often for the good of the sport ;) Incredible win for Max, I'm still annoyed by Red Bull switching Dany out mid season so rudely, but regardless of how nice it was it clearly wasn't a stupid decision.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

My family is ecstatic that Max Verstappen won, there may have been some screaming invovled. As a Dutch person, I too am very happy with this win, to be honest.
daphenaxa
blobfish

Did you watch the match internettakeover?? I watched it was insane. Rafa was playing really really well. That's really encouraging for RG tbh. But omg he had 5 fuckn set points in the second set and couldnt conclude. How horrible :(
Andy against Nole is the most boring match up in history. I hate their matches as they are both grinders with no attack and no net play. I have no faith in Andy but we'll see.

Congrats to Verstappen. The youngest driver to ever win GP!
internetakeover
lady door

daphenaxa wrote:Did you watch the match internettakeover?? I watched it was insane. Rafa was playing really really well. That's really encouraging for RG tbh. But omg he had 5 fuckn set points in the second set and couldnt conclude. How horrible :(
Andy against Nole is the most boring match up in history. I hate their matches as they are both grinders with no attack and no net play. I have no faith in Andy but we'll see.

Congrats to Verstappen. The youngest driver to ever win GP!
Sadly I missed the very end of the match, but did get to watch most of it, including his five infuriating set points! It was great, you're right that his level of play was encouraging for RG, I just hope he hasn't got a mental block around Djokovic by now, or at least that his history at RG will overcome that.

Agree about Andy-Nole being a poor match up, I have no real faith in Andy yet still can't help but hope every time. Really I just want him to get through the match safe - it's his birthday today and historically he's had awful luck, he's had to retire on his birthday twice!

also i was kind of reluctant to send this post through, sad to lose my editing tips rank!
hunnyftw
phabergé

Owww, I've been watching men's tennis religiously for the past 6-7 years so I always love me a bit of tennis talk but I'm actually slightly scared of expressing my opinions here because I seem to disagree almost on everything with you, internetakeover and daphenaxa. Is it enough if I say I've been strongly rooting for Djokovic for 7 years now? :lol:

Aaaanyway, I think we can probably agree that the set point in the first set of Nole-Djoko Rome match was incredible and that the Andy and Nole matchup tends to be boring (although I think the reasons for that are more complicated than what you stated).
daphenaxa
blobfish

Heyyy interesting. I gotta say it's the first time I meet a Nole fan who is not Serb.
Why do u think the matchup with Andy is boring? I am curious?
hunnyftw
phabergé

A disclaimer: I'm not an uncritical type of fan. His behaviour today was over the top from time to time, especially the way he was arguing with the umpire. His mind was everywhere but on the tennis court. :roll: But hey, I'm a creature of habit and in spite of his (very human) flaws I still like his tennis when he's got a good day.

Why I don't like their matchup? For starters, I really don't like Andy's game. And then I think that Andy's and Nole's worst game can be similar and sadly it seems that their matchup tends to bring out their worst in both of them, both in terms of their play (they become "grinders", to use your term) and in terms of their energy on the court. They both become pointlessly frustrated and unenergetic.
Actually, maybe parts of it are quite similar to your assessment of the situation, soz :D
I guess I just can't agree with you that they're normally "grinders with no attack", especially not Nole. Nearly everybody can see that he has an incredible defence, but people often overlook the fact that: 1) defence is rarely his first option, he tries to attack first 2)when he does have to defense it still tends to be very offensive and he's looking to counterattack all the time.

Anyway, these days a good example of a far more interesting matchup for me would be Nole and Federer or Nole and Wawrinka. Their style of game is quite different (both when they're at their worst and when they're at their best) but also I find the energy that they bring out in each other much better; over the years I found that the energy factor, although very subjective and hard to explain, is crucial for my enjoyment of a match.