Harry Potter

Post Reply
User avatar
fondsmiles
hobbit hair
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Germany

Harry Potter

Post by fondsmiles » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Okay but. HOW. is there no topic for harry potter yet. that seems like a crime against humanity, to be quite honest.

I wanna hear all about it!! what are you fave books? your least fave movies? when did you start reading and watching? which houses are you? fanfic recommendations? do you think snape is nice and sweet or do we dislike him for everything he's done? why can't ginny be a character more defined in the movies, let her be bisexual!! would you want to live in the hp universe?

let's get this started, it's about time.
Image
[x]
Image
[x]



User avatar
somethingsketchy
hobbit hair
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 6:48 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: reading slump

Re: Harry Potter

Post by somethingsketchy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Harry Potter was such a formative part of my childhood that the fact that I'm 23 and still don't know which Hogwarts house I belong to honestly gives me more anxiety than not being able to label my sexuality. I first read the books when I was seven and they were my whole life for at least the following 6-7 years. Mum took me to the cinema to see the first film when it came out, even though I was technically under the age limit, because I had already read the book at least five times at that point. Harry Potter was also the first online fandom I joined when I first started using Internet on my own when I was about 11. Good times.

Growing up, my favourite book was definitely The Prisoner of Azkaban, and for some reason I still like the POA movie the best. When I reread the books for the first time as an adult a couple of years ago, I felt like I was able to appreciate some elements of the series that I had previously disliked. For example, I grew fond of The Order of the Phoenix book and angry pubescent Harry, who I had totally hated when I was a teenager myself. Sadly, I couldn't get over my hate for HBP and don't think I ever will.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Marauders, who have always been fandom favourites. On one hand, they are an interesting part of Harry's story and Lupin is my favourite character, but on the other hand, I couldn't care less about any "bad boy" characters like teenage James and Sirius. That is a YA lit trope that needs to end. Another trope used in HP that I hate is the "I will never stop pining after you and stalking you even though you turned me down" trope. That is not cute and just makes Snape a creep. Also, he emotionally abuses children, which is wrong under all circumstances, and I hate him for it. Period.
Image

User avatar
captainspacecoat
long-time wanker
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Re: Harry Potter

Post by captainspacecoat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Harry Potter is my one true fandom love! It's like my default obsession, in that I've flitted in and out of different fandoms but Harry Potter is the one that will always be there to come back to and I'll never get bored of it

I read the first two books when I was six (I was SUCH an avid reader back then and a total nerd, and I loved them) but I wasn't allowed to read the rest as my mum thought I was too little. I returned to the rest of the books when I was about ten or eleven, and was absolutely enthralled by them. I was eleven when the last book came out, and I remember that time period so fondly, it was such a magical few days (although a girl at school spoiled one of the deaths for me, and I was so angry at her that me and my best friends stopped talking to her for a few days, v dramatic). We all used to bring the books into school and act them out at lunch time (I was always Hermione), and then a few years later when I was about 15 my high school best friend and I got re-obsessed and used to make up little head canons about the characters, and got tumblrs dedicated to hp, and started reading fanfic etc.

I pretty much go through cycles where I just read and reread the books, although it's been a few years since I last read them as I haven't had much time/energy for reading lately unfortunately.

Fave book: Order of the Phoenix without a doubt. It has a bit of reputation for being the longest and most boring, but I love all the unnecessary details in it, and I think Harry's "angstiness" (aka PTSD) is so heartbreaking. Also love Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows (minus the epilogue).

Fave movie: I love Prisoner of Azkaban as well somethingsketchy!! Something about the direction and cinematography almost makes it feel like a standalone film. Also the first two films for the nostalgia factor, and because they stick closest to the books.

House: I'm a hufflepuff! At first I was kind of unsure but I'm really happy with that now, and feel it suits me.

Fanfic recommendations: Hermione Granger's Hogwarts Crammer for Delinquents on the Run - it's drarry but even if that's not your thing it's quite subtle until the last chapter or so, and it's so good! It's basically an au in which everything's the same but Harry doesn't find out he's a wizard until he's 17. Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Luna, Neville and Draco are on the run and it's just so good, the author is so witty, there's a huge focus on found family ugh it's the best, 10/10 would recommend if you haven't read it already.

Snape opinions - interesting character, awful awful awful person. His love for Lily in no way excuses his actions, he's an abusive bully and a prick.

Ginny opinions - fondsmiles agree completely!! Ginny's so great in the books, and was absolutely decimated in the films. And you're right, let her be bisexual!! Harry too!!

Would I want to live in the hp universe? As terrifying as it would be, the real world is pretty shit at the moment so yes I would def live in the hp universe

User avatar
somethingsketchy
hobbit hair
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 6:48 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: reading slump

Re: Harry Potter

Post by somethingsketchy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:53 pm

captainspacecoat wrote:Fave movie: I love Prisoner of Azkaban as well somethingsketchy!! Something about the direction and cinematography almost makes it feel like a standalone film. Also the first two films for the nostalgia factor, and because they stick closest to the books.
This is exactly how I feel about the first three films. Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets have this comforting children's story vibe, and Prisoner of Azkaban on the other hand is very different from the other films in a way that just appeals to me so much. I don't know if this is true, but I read somewhere that JKR wanted Alfonso Cuarón to also direct Fantastic Beasts, which could have been something amazing, but he turned the offer down.
Image

opendoor
living flop
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:24 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Re: Harry Potter

Post by opendoor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:30 pm

I'm 20 now, so yeah, in that prime Harry Potter generation. I honestly love that this series touched so many people the way it did, it's incredible. I spent years playing Harry Potter in the yard with my brother- I wanted to be Harry so I made him be Ron. I even made a spell-book listing every spell in the 7 novels and its effects.

captainspacecoat Order of the Phoenix is my favourite book too. I remember lining up outside at the crack of dawn to buy it, and then crawling back into bed with that brick of a book. I love the angst, and the Department of Mysteries sequence is my favourite part of any Harry Potter book. I'll never forgive the fifth movie for how boring/generic it made those scenes. :rage:

My favourite movie is Goblet of Fire- the actors/characters are a little older, but it's not too dark as a film (until the end kill the spare). I love the tasks, the Yule ball, and that long hair on the boys

House: I think dividing people into four personality groups is kinda silly, but I'd be a Ravenclaw.

Characters: Harry ofc, Sirius, and my fave minor character is Oliver Wood.

I'm not paying attention to any more Harry Potter content past the last film. Everything that I've seen looks bad to me. I'm obvs Ok with it being out there and people enjoying it, but it's not for me.

That being said if a Marauders book/tv show ever materialised I would be right back in there. I love James, Sirius, and Lupin, so I'd love to see them together. Ontop of that, they're animagi, it would be amazing. And the idea of us seeing them interact with Peter, with us knowing how the story's going to end could be great. Especially if the writers could get us to understand/sympathise with Peter a little bit.
drowned in moonlight, strangled by her own bra

majitzu
angel bean
Posts: 1018
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:22 pm
Location: South America

Re: Harry Potter

Post by majitzu » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:55 am

Harry Potter is my childhood, I started reading them when I was 8, my mother gift me the first 3 books and I was hooked since that moment. I remember I was in exams period in my school when the book 4 came out, my mother bought it on Saturday when the exams end, I was free, my 1 week vacation. I decided I need to read 100 pages per day to finish it before school resumed, I eneded reading it in 3 days, it was amazing.

House: Pottermore told me I'm a Hufflepuff and years later it told me I was a Slytherin, so I consider me both.

Snape: I like him as a character, but I disagree with all the people worshipping him. He's loved for Lily makes me uncomfortable, is not healthy. And he bullied little kids. Having said that I have read fanfics and depending of them I can love him or hate him.

Movie/Book : I do not have a favourite movie or book. I read the first 4 books 9 or 10 times each, and the other 3 to 4.

Fanfic: I used to reread the saga every year, and then I started reading ff and I have always the story fresh so I don't feel like reading them all along anymore. I read so many ff in spanish and english, one of my favourite is in spanish, Alianza - Libro 1 por Helena Dax is a saga of 7 books that starts where the DH ends. There is a group, who I consider more dangerous than the death eathers and Harry needs to be a hero again, but it focus more in the kids in Hogwarts, specially Al. The story and the relationships, is def one of the best fics i ever read.
Image

User avatar
swofro
angel bean
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:39 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: asia

Re: Harry Potter

Post by swofro » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Harry Potter, yes.

I was introduced to Harry Potter when my mother bought me and my brother the book Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secret (translated into my language) when I was 11. I never heard of Harry Potter before but I quickly was hooked, if that is the right word.

Because of me start reading it from the second book, it is no surprise to me that Snape is not the evil guy when I read the first book and quickly work out that Quirrel will be out of the job by the end of Philosopher's Stone but it does shock me to know that Voldemort is literally at the back of his head

My favourite character in the book is definitely Draco Malfoy. The way he was potrayed as this prideful, posh boy earlier in the book captivates me. Draco challenging Harry to fight (or whatever is the technical term in English haha) in the middle of the night in the first book is always funny to me. I like the depth of his character and his character growth in general.

Which comes to this. That I, contrary to probably a lot of people, absolutely love the Half Blood Prince. It is my favourite book because we learn more about Draco with Harry snooping around. It is also my favourite book because I was with it the longest (while waiting for the release and subsequently, the translation of Deathly Hallows) and probably the one that I have re-read the most.

I don't care much about the movie to be honest but if I have to pick a favourite, I will say it's a tie between Chamber of Secrets and Deathly Hallows Part 2. I really love the scene in Knockturn Alley and Diagon Alley where we see more Malfoys. Lol. The Part 2 because I really dislike the tone in Part 1 in general. My favourite part of Part 2 is Narcissa saving Harry in exchange of information about Draco, and Neville's speech. Brilliant.

From Pottermore, I am a Gryffindor but as time goes on, I feel like I belong to Ravenclaw. And I did buy Ravenclaw merch when I visit Harry Potter studios 2 years ago instead of Gryffindor's so maybe I am a Ravenclaw now haha but I wish they can make houses not base on people's trait instead base on random things like favourite colours.

Back in 2012 tumblr, I was a heavy Dramione shipper and I love reading canon divergence fic with Dramione as the main ship. There was a fic that I particularly fond of, that I don't know the title where Draco and Hermione are married but they forgot because George accidentally give them a potion that makes them forget. They don't believe they are married when everyone else tell them so because they don't have the memories of being in a relationship. Like, really, Draco, marrying a mix blood, are you kidding me? The fic was about them relearning about each other and they fall in love again before George managed to find the cure potion and that's lovely.

After I move on from Dramione, I don't really care about Harry Potter anymore. Some of the blogs I follow during those years were dead too. So I move on into HIMYM fandom and finally find my way here after that ends too.
Love is forever
Image

User avatar
fondsmiles
hobbit hair
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Germany

Re: Harry Potter

Post by fondsmiles » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:28 pm

this thread makes me so happy, thank you all so much for your contributions

it also makes me realize that I really should continue re-reading the books, I've decided to do so a while ago but have somehow stopped somewhere in the middle of the azkaban one, getting caught up in fanfiction of different kinds. I desperately want to continue now, it's been a while and while I am very invested in the world still, I haven't read the actual books in ages.

I also am horrible at deciding favourites, and feel now like I don't know them well enough. I didn't love the angsty parts of order of the phoenix the last time I read that. I did enjoy Deathly Hallows loads though, because of all the travelling I think, I loved to see them on the road. The first one is also always great, just because Harry's still so in awe. And as a child my favourite used to be Prisoner of Azkaban as well!

Speaking of which, I read all the books at ages 11-12, which was after my friends had been talking about it for ages and I finally wanted to get in on the fun, and then when I was 12 Deathly Hallows just came out.
I also have very precious memories of reading them out loud to my younger brother (of two years) a while later He disliked reading a lot, so I would read it to him but then he'd have to read a couple of pages on his own (as a kind of deal with my parents), and it was so nice to share all of that with him. He got so invested that he even sometimes read multiple chapters by himself, which is like, extreme for him.

I never loved the movies too much. I am someone who gets upset when important parts of the books are not in the movies. I did watch them, and enjoy them, but just not ... love them. Especially annoying I find for example the Goblet of Fire, because they made the dragon fight so much more intense and I am just gaaaah kasdmfaksdmf don't do that. I also dislike the movies that seem so dark and don't bring across how much more lighthearted the books sometimes are. Even in colors they're sometimes so so dark, that I can barely enjoy it for what it is.
I personally think I love the two movies of Deathly Hallows the most. Maybe because of it being two movies, and that way they've been able to keep more things in. There's some eye-roll moments too but I found that less annoying than for some other movies.

HOUSING. Yes. Okay. So I am a Hufflepuff, mostly, but on that one allmighty quiz thingy I am actually equal parts Hufflepuff and Gryffindor, and I think that does describe me best. Although, I used to find Hufflepuff boring, but now I wear black and yellow with pride. no I don't actually wear it but whatever let me have fun

My fave characters are Draco, I think, which is kind of heavily influenced by fanfiction - but I look at him now as such an interesting person, so much character development, such an interesting upbringing and complex relationships. I adore him. I think I really like Ginny too, well, and loads of other people, I feel again like I am letting characters down and don't say everyone I love, so just be aware that I am a soft spot for many many people in my heart.
The obsession with Snape though is something that irks me too, he is undoubtedly abusive and a "sweet love story" (which is discussable as well) doesn't make that right.

I also love love love Drarry fanfiction. I occasionally read some other parings when my fave authors post them, but usually it's Drarry (I should get into other pairings though, I feel like, there's so many interesting possibilities. Dramione sounds interesting for example. I've read Ron/Harry, that was fun.). Oh, but I also love stories that involve the kids, and when it just explores another generation, I adore that.
Here are some of my faves, that I keep thinking about:
- Ein bisschen wie Sterben - a german story, not about a ship at all, that is told via lectures at a magical university years after the war. it explores the war, prejudices and a way of black-white-thinking, it is brilliant and wonderful and the first fanfiction i ever read.
- The Green Vial - the first mpreg I ever read. it's drarry, and draco is pining and it's wonderful and akdsmfak I love it with all my heart.
- In The Company Of A Rubber Duck - drarry, again. It is SO funny, but also explores some topics more deeply. It is smutty and just a fun read tbh. Also, Draco is a rubber duck.
- Azoth - technically drarry, but feels way more of an exploration of Harry as a more complex person. The war's over and he suddenly decides he wants to do potions instead of becoming an auror, and he also decides Draco needs to help him. so so brilliant.
- Now My Neck Is Open Wide (Begging For A Fist Around It) - this is the darkest fanfiction I have ever read, but I think it also had the longest and heaviest impact on me, I still think about it so much. it tells the story of how Harry slips into a heavily abusive relationship (with an original character), how he feels in it, and then, slowly, with the help of a very gentle journalist!Draco, finds his way out of it again. It is mpreg, it is very very heavy, but it is also very very good. It doesn't romanticize the abuse in the slightest, which is something that I value very deeply. It's way more of an exploration of the process of going in, being in, and coming out of an abusive relationship, than it even has to do with drarry as a ship. I will forever praise this fanfic, it has made me cried the hardest, has made me think and feel the most and just - if you can stomach it, and like reading about heavy topics, give it a go. (Also, if you want to know more about triggers or endings or whatever, feel free to message me)

woops that turned out long, can you tell that I am passionate about fanfiction. (I just think it's so brilliant how people take a world, or just some loved characters, and spin their own stories around that, and how it is often so incredibly personal, and so much more than just about shipping. i love love love it)

okay I think I am done for now, please continue though
Image
[x]
Image
[x]

cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:43 pm
Pronouns: he/him
Location: uk

Re: Harry Potter

Post by cherrybomb3 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:30 pm

i remember crying when i finished the books because i was sad that my escapist fantasy of going to hogwarts was nothing more than a fantasy ohmygod

id say my personal fave movie is order of the phoenix HOWEVER i do think that as a narrative and part of the fiom series prisoner of azkabans general cinematographic artistic musical tonal vibe makes it pretty important in maturing the narrative and establishing the feel of the succeeding films etc

favourite book is probs hbp. so much dark teen angst amd also the feeling of coming to an end is traumatising but also emotionally impactful in a masochistic way

also i think snape is a morally grey character who was a hero despite his very obvious flaws but hes a better character for it maybe idk

User avatar
autumnhearth
woodland creature
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:44 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: OH, USA

Re: Harry Potter

Post by autumnhearth » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Ohhh! I've never even looked at the other fandoms section of this forum, so thanks for mentioning this on the main thread. HP is my main fandom.

I wasn't introduced as a child like many of you, I started reading the first book in high school, right before the first film came out. My birthday is in November, so for two years I had HP parties (until POA switched to June, but that was our last major HS friend hang out, right after graduation.) HP was also something the husband and I bonded over in college and we went to midnight release parties and cosplayed together.

I've made up for the lack of a HP childhood by exposing the kiddo early. We started reading when he was six and finished the series before the Cursed Child script came out so he could experience a book release and we went to a very busy Potterfest. Still saving up for Universal, but we will be seeing CC on Broadway next year.

My favorite book is probably Half Blood Prince, I'm not sure about fave film: I have major nostologia for the first, love the witchiness of POA and I adore the cinematography of HBP (though it is missing some of my fave parts). Just NOT Goblet.

Our little family are all probably Ravenclaws (I'm the odd creative Luna type, husband is a geek and our son is gifted) though our son wants to be a Slytherin because of Scorpius. We'll see when he's 11. Also I'm a Thunderbird for all you North Americans.

I've been a Drarry shipper for almost as long as I've been an HP fan, though I jumped ships to their sons this year and actually wrote Scorbus fanfic, oops. I second 'Azoth' and also love 'Golden Age' (8th Year Hufflepuff Drarry) by the same author. I'm horrible at keeping tabs on my fave Drarry fics, though I have a huge archive of Scorbus fic recs on Tumblr.

I do highly recommend raitala's readings of 'Let's Pretend the War Is Over' (warning for PTSD) and 'The Price We Pay for Wings' (warning for character death). They will destroy you. https://raitala.podbean.com/e/lets-pret ... r-is-over/ https://raitala.podbean.com/e/the-price ... for-wings/

User avatar
somethingsketchy
hobbit hair
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 6:48 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: reading slump

Re: Harry Potter

Post by somethingsketchy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:31 pm

First of all, thanks for starting this thread, fondsmiles, I haven't been this excited about HP in ages!
fondsmiles wrote: Speaking of which, I read all the books at ages 11-12, which was after my friends had been talking about it for ages and I finally wanted to get in on the fun, and then when I was 12 Deathly Hallows just came out.
I also have very precious memories of reading them out loud to my younger brother (of two years) a while later He disliked reading a lot, so I would read it to him but then he'd have to read a couple of pages on his own (as a kind of deal with my parents), and it was so nice to share all of that with him. He got so invested that he even sometimes read multiple chapters by himself, which is like, extreme for him.
I have little brother memories, too! My brother is three years younger than me, and I remember reading the first book to him when I was like eight, but I don't think he was ever that interested. When he became old enough to see the movies, he didn't want to read the books anymore, but since after seeing Prisoner of Azkaban he actually needed to wait for the next movie to be released, he did start reading Goblet of Fire because he wanted to know what would happen. In the end, he never finished that book but he did finish Order of the Phoenix, which is remarkable considering that was the first book he ever read and finished voluntarily. It's a bit ironic that a bookworm like me has a brother so disinterested in reading.

When Deathly Hallows came out I was almost 14 and it was the first book I ever read in English. Since it hadn't yet been translated to our native language at that point, I tried to read and translate the story to my brother. It didn't really work out that well because I barely kept up with the story myself, but it's still nice to have a memory of my brother taking part in something I was interested in when it was usually the other way around.
fondsmiles wrote:I never loved the movies too much. I am someone who gets upset when important parts of the books are not in the movies. I did watch them, and enjoy them, but just not ... love them. Especially annoying I find for example the Goblet of Fire, because they made the dragon fight so much more intense and I am just gaaaah kasdmfaksdmf don't do that. I also dislike the movies that seem so dark and don't bring across how much more lighthearted the books sometimes are. Even in colors they're sometimes so so dark, that I can barely enjoy it for what it is.
I personally think I love the two movies of Deathly Hallows the most. Maybe because of it being two movies, and that way they've been able to keep more things in. There's some eye-roll moments too but I found that less annoying than for some other movies.
I used to make a huge deal out of book-to-film adaptations not following the books word for word, but I've come to accept that film and literature are two different art forms. Not everything that works in books works on screen. One thing that still bothers me about the HP films, though, is the lack of character development and/or weird characterisation of certain characters. Ginny being one-dimensional in the films has already been mentioned, but for me it is far more disturbing that Ron's and Hermione's characters and the whole dynamic of the trio are a bit "off" compared to the books.

I agree with you about the later films being too dark. I get scared easily, and it was agony to watch most of the films in the cinema because even though I technically knew what was going to happen, the suspense and gloominess just made my skin crawl. (Admittedly, I have difficulties watching any fantasy/scifi/action film in the cinema and spend most of the time curled up and covering my ears.)
fondsmiles wrote:My fave characters are Draco, I think, which is kind of heavily influenced by fanfiction - but I look at him now as such an interesting person, so much character development, such an interesting upbringing and complex relationships. I adore him. I think I really like Ginny too, well, and loads of other people, I feel again like I am letting characters down and don't say everyone I love, so just be aware that I am a soft spot for many many people in my heart.
The obsession with Snape though is something that irks me too, he is undoubtedly abusive and a "sweet love story" (which is discussable as well) doesn't make that right.

I also love love love Drarry fanfiction. I occasionally read some other parings when my fave authors post them, but usually it's Drarry (I should get into other pairings though, I feel like, there's so many interesting possibilities. Dramione sounds interesting for example. I've read Ron/Harry, that was fun.). Oh, but I also love stories that involve the kids, and when it just explores another generation, I adore that.
I was so young when I got into HP that shipping was never a big part of my fandom experience. I did read some fanfic, starting when I was a bit older, though, but not to the extent that I've read it in my later fandoms. Drarry was probably the first slash pairing I ever became aware of, but I didn't get the appeal until I was an adult because I had never before learned to appreciate the complexity of Draco as a character. JKR makes almost all the characters morally grey in the later books, which makes the series interesting also for an adult reader. There's just so much stuff to analyse in the books!
Image

Moonbeamsonthepath
sofa crease
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:03 pm
Pronouns: she
Location: UK

Re: Harry Potter

Post by Moonbeamsonthepath » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:16 pm

I never realized there was a Harry Potter thread!

I fell in love with the books around the time when OotP came out and have been obsessed since.

Re fave books: My favourites are Prisoner of Azkaban and Order of the Phoenix. Prisoner of Azkaban because of the beautiful atmosphere, the descriptions (I've planned out what I would buy if I was ever at Honeydukes or The Magical Menagerie way too many times) and just because it' s a lot more relaxed than the other books and full of little jokes. OotP because we get to see lots of everyday life scenes at Hogwarts and Grimmauld Place and I love reading those.
(but those two are also the first HP books that I ever read, so from a psychological POV it might have something to do with that)
The one I reread least is the last book, which doesn't mean that I think it's not as well written as the others or anything, I just can't stand all the death scenes.
I think my Ultimate Ranking would be
1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Order of the Phoenix
3. Philosopher's Stone
4. Half-blood Prince
5. Goblet of Fire
6. Chamber of Secrets
7. Deathly Hallows
But I really love them all.

My favourite film is PoA, again because of the atmosphere. But tbh I don't rewatch the films all that much. I think my least favourite would have to be Deathly Hallows Part 1 just because I feel like it just tries to get through all the scenes in the books without adding anything to it. It just gets to a point where it's a bit boring and I'd rather just reread the scenes in the books.
I do agree with you guys that the first two films just have that certain atmosphere/nostalgia around them, especially the first one.
I didn't have very high expectations for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, but I was very pleasantly surprised by that film. I liked the scenes with the magical creatures and the atmosphere and also the fact that they tried to explore difficult topics (unlike The Cursed Child, which I wasn't a fan of, but I also never saw it live, so there's that).
Sometimes I wish someone would make a long series where they actually film every single scene from the books.

I got into the series when I was five and my mum for some reason bought me the PoA audiobooks. They were so amazing that I would just listen to them over and over again, so then I got the others and slowly started reading the actual books. (Did anyone else grow up listening to Stephen Fry reading the series?). I remember watching Philosopher's Stone for the first time and getting annoyed at every single scene and character that they had cut out.
I also listened to/read the books in a weird order, I think it was PoA-OotP-PS-CoS-GoF-HBP-DH.

Am I the only one who gets a different house EVERY TIME I try the Pottermore quiz? I've literally gotten the same result every time I've done the Myers-Briggs test, but on Pottermore, I've been Slytherin-Ravenclaw-Gryffindor-Ravenclaw-Slytherin-Hufflepuff-Gryffindor-Ravenclaw. And also Pukwudgie-Horned Serpent-Pukwudgie-Wampus.

I have the weirdest taste in fanfics so I won't recommend my personal favourites. I think my favourite more conventional one is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, which I actually didn't like at first and then really got into. If you're thinking of giving it a go, try to get past the first couple of chapters and only stop reading if you really don't like it by the time Harry gets to Hogwarts.

I would love a new book/film about the maruaders, maybe explaining their actions better than the books did. Idk why, but I can't really get over what they did to Snape.

My favourite characters are Hermione and Tonks. I feel like pretty much every girl who reads the series identifies with and wants to be like Hermione. Tonks is such an amazing strong, kind, cool, fun character who really wasn't given enough screen time in the films.

So jealous of everyone who went to midnight release parties-it sounds like so much fun! I got the sixth and seventh books in the morning the day they came out and always had to wait a bit for the movies.

I definitely ship Scorbus, Drarry and Dramione not so much. I never really shipped Harry with anyone until I got involved in the fandom online, so I don't feel too strongly about whomever he ended up with. Ginny/Harry and Hermione/Ron sort-of made sense in the books, so I always just accepted that.

(that was way too long, I really need to stop procrastinating from correcting those exams. and also actually watch the sims video)

brekkyfood
smol bean
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 9:10 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Re: Harry Potter

Post by brekkyfood » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Yay, I'm so glad there's a Harry Potter topic! It was my very first fandom and such a huge part of my childhood.

I first read the books when I was 9 (in 2008 once they were all released) after going to my best friend's HP themed birthday party and having her mum convince my parents to let me read them. I fell in love immediately. I think I've read them 12 times physically and listened to the audiobooks probably twice as many times. Stephen Fry's voice is so permanently burned into my brain that I can't read the books anymore without hearing them exactly as they are on audiobook.

The first time I finished them I remember feeling shattered and crying my eyes out because I lived vicariously through the characters and it felt devastating to say goodbye. My favourite book is either HBP because I love all the scenes with the pensieve, or DH because it's the book that I have the biggest emotional connection with and I like the insight into Dumbledore's past. Not a main series book, but I also love The Tales of Beedle the Bard as I'm very interested in folktales and fairytales.

Although the last three films came out after I had read the books I wasn't allowed to watch any of them until I was 13 (strict parents yay). I not such a big fan of the films, but my favourite is probably HBP (or maybe DH part 2). I can't stand the GOF movie, I just hate it so so so much.

I haven't paid much attention to the post-books content - I gave Pottermore a try when it first started but I just couldn't get into it. I'm avoiding Cursed Child like the plague. I did see Fantastic Beasts and I will probably watch the others as they come out but I wasn't a huge fan.

My favourite character growing up was definitely Hermione - I was half in love with her and half felt like I was her. I don't think I have an absolute favourite character anymore, but Neville and Lupin have really grown on me recently.

I have no idea what house I'm in, I always seem to come out as fairly evenly balanced between Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. The only thing I know for sure is that I'm 100% not a Hufflepuff.

I first encountered shipping and fanfiction in an unofficial HP encyclopedia I used to borrow from my local library around age 10, but I didn't actually read any fanfics until I was a little older. I was never super into it and I don't remember any specific titles, but I have memories of reading some Drarry, Dramione, Hermione/Ginny, Harry/Ron and Sirius/Lupin.

Regarding Snape, I find him a very interesting character and I love the chapter in DH with his memories, however I really don't like the whole 'Snape is lovely and we can forgive him everything because he was in love with Lily' line that a lot of people follow. A lot of what he did was outright bullying and can't be excused, but at the same time I think he did many heroic things. I also really dislike James and Sirius for the way they bullied him at school, but just because Snape was bullied doesn't mean he should have the right to be awful to other people. I don't hate him, but I definitely don't like him either.

User avatar
fondsmiles
hobbit hair
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Germany

Re: Harry Potter

Post by fondsmiles » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 pm

brekkyfood wrote:
Regarding Snape, I find him a very interesting character and I love the chapter in DH with his memories, however I really don't like the whole 'Snape is lovely and we can forgive him everything because he was in love with Lily' line that a lot of people follow. A lot of what he did was outright bullying and can't be excused, but at the same time I think he did many heroic things. I also really dislike James and Sirius for the way they bullied him at school, but just because Snape was bullied doesn't mean he should have the right to be awful to other people. I don't hate him, but I definitely don't like him either.
*nods vigorously to all of this*
Image
[x]
Image
[x]

User avatar
fondsmiles
hobbit hair
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Germany

Re: Harry Potter

Post by fondsmiles » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:48 pm

captainspacecoat wrote: Fanfic recommendations: Hermione Granger's Hogwarts Crammer for Delinquents on the Run - it's drarry but even if that's not your thing it's quite subtle until the last chapter or so, and it's so good! It's basically an au in which everything's the same but Harry doesn't find out he's a wizard until he's 17. Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Luna, Neville and Draco are on the run and it's just so good, the author is so witty, there's a huge focus on found family ugh it's the best, 10/10 would recommend if you haven't read it already.
Holy heck this was incredible. lowkey better than the actual books. It's really so funny and well thought through, and I just desperately wanted MORE when I finished. 10/10 would recommend too.

I kind of want to write HP fanfiction now. I've got this idea in my head of how the war was mentally challenging, and obviously there must be tons of wizards and witches (um there needs to be a non-binary term) that have PTSD now. I really really want to write a story that focuses on that. Maybe a muggleborn Hufflepuff girl that was a bit younger than the HP group and passionate about mental health who groups together a Ravenclaw and a Slytherin maybe, and they work on figuring out mental health work in the magic world. I have SO many ideas on how therapy could look a little bit different with the aid of magic. I want them to invent spells that aid the progress and potions that work like the pills we have and I still want there to be a fuck ton of just talking and the usual processes in therapy. I started thinking about it yesterday and the logistics of the story are still fuzzy in my head, I am not sure of a specific plot line yet, but I really do want to write that.
then again I also have a phan AU in my head that i have barely even fully plotted, let alone started. oh dear, give me some more time this summer
Image
[x]
Image
[x]

User avatar
LeftHandedism
long-time wanker
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:16 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: California

Re: Harry Potter

Post by LeftHandedism » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:41 am

fondsmiles wrote:
captainspacecoat wrote: Fanfic recommendations: Hermione Granger's Hogwarts Crammer for Delinquents on the Run - it's drarry but even if that's not your thing it's quite subtle until the last chapter or so, and it's so good! It's basically an au in which everything's the same but Harry doesn't find out he's a wizard until he's 17. Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Luna, Neville and Draco are on the run and it's just so good, the author is so witty, there's a huge focus on found family ugh it's the best, 10/10 would recommend if you haven't read it already.
Holy heck this was incredible. lowkey better than the actual books. It's really so funny and well thought through, and I just desperately wanted MORE when I finished. 10/10 would recommend too.

I kind of want to write HP fanfiction now. I've got this idea in my head of how the war was mentally challenging, and obviously there must be tons of wizards and witches (um there needs to be a non-binary term) that have PTSD now. I really really want to write a story that focuses on that. Maybe a muggleborn Hufflepuff girl that was a bit younger than the HP group and passionate about mental health who groups together a Ravenclaw and a Slytherin maybe, and they work on figuring out mental health work in the magic world. I have SO many ideas on how therapy could look a little bit different with the aid of magic. I want them to invent spells that aid the progress and potions that work like the pills we have and I still want there to be a fuck ton of just talking and the usual processes in therapy. I started thinking about it yesterday and the logistics of the story are still fuzzy in my head, I am not sure of a specific plot line yet, but I really do want to write that.
then again I also have a phan AU in my head that i have barely even fully plotted, let alone started. oh dear, give me some more time this summer
Dirty secret here: as someone who had already read loads of fantasy (and who was turned off by all the hype around the Americanization of "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone" ) I was predisposed against Harry Potter. And then when I saw the gratuitously binary "witches and wizards", I was pretty annoyed. So, they books were never able to be favorites for me.

However, if you use a nonbinary term in your fanfic, cheers!

For published Drarry fanfic, I can reccomend Carry On by Rainbow Rowell .
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."

User avatar
captainspacecoat
long-time wanker
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Re: Harry Potter

Post by captainspacecoat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:23 am

fondsmiles I'm so happy you liked it! You should check out the author's other work if your interested, she wrote another drarry fic called Stately Homes of Wiltshire which is also fantastic. And definitely go for it with the fan fic, an exploration of PTSD in the hp world sounds fascinating!

LeftHandedism I feel you! I was quite young when I read the Harry Potter books so a lot of things went over my head. I loved the books as a form of escapism, and they will always mean a lot to me. However, now I'm older there's a lot about the books that doesn't sit right with me - Rowling clarifying Dumbledore is gay in hindsight rather than making an effort to include actual representation, for one.

And I totally agree with you, there needs to be a gender neutral term rather than just witch or wizard. Basically, I will always adore the series as it introduced me to a world that, to child-me, was so incredibly magical and transported me out of my own life, fuelling my love of reading. Adult-me though is far more critical of the series, and despite my everlasting love for them can definitely see the many flaws within. I think that's where fan fiction swoops in to save the day - especially fic written more recently which tends to make an effort to rectify aspects of the book which Rowling didn't do such a great job on!

User avatar
fondsmiles
hobbit hair
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Germany

Re: Harry Potter

Post by fondsmiles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:49 pm

captainspacecoat wrote: And I totally agree with you, there needs to be a gender neutral term rather than just witch or wizard. Basically, I will always adore the series as it introduced me to a world that, to child-me, was so incredibly magical and transported me out of my own life, fuelling my love of reading. Adult-me though is far more critical of the series, and despite my everlasting love for them can definitely see the many flaws within. I think that's where fan fiction swoops in to save the day - especially fic written more recently which tends to make an effort to rectify aspects of the book which Rowling didn't do such a great job on!
I feel similar. I love the series a lot, I love the world JK has built, with all my heart. But there are definitely parts that make me wish for a bit more inclusivity or things that could make more sense.

I wish there were LGBTQ+ characters canon in the series, not just confirmed afterwards, yes. I also think though, the first book was published 1997. I don't know how much harder it would have been to get a book published with a gay character back then. And once the series started, maybe there were already contracts?
JK seems to be quite liberal and left-thinking now, but also, maybe she wasn't that way back then. That's what I assume the most; that it just wasn't on her radar to put more diversity in the series. Which is sad, but also understandable.

I am glad fanfiction exists that makes up for it. Speaking of that; does anyone have ideas for gender neutral magician terms? I can't think of any; but maybe that might be easier for native speakers. (how stupid does a mixed term like witchards sound?)
Image
[x]
Image
[x]

User avatar
000dia000
cat whiskers
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Harry Potter

Post by 000dia000 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 pm

Are there are harry potter fanfics that have a serious storyline, like an alternate timeline of events, etc? I'm really interested in reading those. I don't mind any of the ships, as long as they don't become a driving factor of the plot/get in the way of the plot in any way.

LGBT+ in Harry Potter: there are a lot of things that aren't perfect about the plot, the story and the characters, but a lot of the discussion around LGBT+ issues in the story always really confusing. For one, the story takes place in the nineties (and written then and in the early to mid 2000's) and representation in the media wasn't common as it was. I know that shouldn't be an "excuse" but it was the norm. Second, it was a children's series first and foremost and LGBT issues in media for children is a controversial issue even to this day. I know there's a lot of wish for representation, but I don't understand the fixation of it upon the Harry Potter franchise, there doesn't seem to be any there. When JK Rowling revealed that Dumbledore was gay several years ago, people were thrilled, but now it's suddenly controversial and people are angry. I wouldn't be asking all of this, only that I'm genuinely confused upon the fixation on Harry Potter and criticism that it someone fails to have this.

Then again, I see a lot of arguments that Harry should have ended up with Hermione instead of Ginny, and for some reason people seem to treat Harry and Draco as canon. It's a perplexing fandom. I do think one thing that can be agreed on: film Ginny was terrible.
:cactus:

User avatar
LeftHandedism
long-time wanker
Posts: 501
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:16 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: California

Re: Harry Potter

Post by LeftHandedism » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:38 pm

fondsmiles: "witchard" sounds terrible in (American) English. It looks/sounds to me like a portmanteau of "witch" and "retard", and the latter is a terrible slur (an old-fashioned slur for someone who is intellectually challenged).

As for lgbtq+ representation in the 90s: there was plenty of that in literature, movies, etc. Even in tv, I think, but I'm no expert in tv. However, I do think it was still relatively rare in YA/kids' literature. Not non-existent, but definitely more of a niche thing. So I'm not surprised that JKR and/or her publishers didn't want to include it.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."

User avatar
fondsmiles
hobbit hair
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Germany

Re: Harry Potter

Post by fondsmiles » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:21 pm

000dia000 wrote: LGBT+ in Harry Potter: there are a lot of things that aren't perfect about the plot, the story and the characters, but a lot of the discussion around LGBT+ issues in the story always really confusing. For one, the story takes place in the nineties (and written then and in the early to mid 2000's) and representation in the media wasn't common as it was. I know that shouldn't be an "excuse" but it was the norm. Second, it was a children's series first and foremost and LGBT issues in media for children is a controversial issue even to this day. I know there's a lot of wish for representation, but I don't understand the fixation of it upon the Harry Potter franchise, there doesn't seem to be any there. When JK Rowling revealed that Dumbledore was gay several years ago, people were thrilled, but now it's suddenly controversial and people are angry. I wouldn't be asking all of this, only that I'm genuinely confused upon the fixation on Harry Potter and criticism that it someone fails to have this.
These are all reasons, that I definitely think are true for why there's not more LGBTQ+ representation in HP. I am not angry either that it was that way, because I can understand how it came about. But that doesn't mean I wish it would have been possible to be different, you know! That doesn't mean I am upset that JK Rowling didn't include the community in her series more, it means I am a bit sad that because of various reasons it didn't happen, because as a series that matters a lot to me it would have just made me so damn happy to see me being represented. It's more a feeling of 'aw, that would have been such a nice feeling and a great opportunity', maybe a little bit of disappointment, than it being any ... thriving force. By which I mean, I don't feel the need to yell at people for it, to spend energy on wishing it would be different, it's just a thought and a feeling that it would have been so nice, and that I very much like to include LGBTQ+ narratives in the story in my own headcannons (or fanfiction that I create or read).
(this seems a bit messy, I hope it makes sense as to why I care about the topic!)
Image
[x]
Image
[x]

citizen_erased
sad dimple
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Harry Potter

Post by citizen_erased » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:04 am

As so many of you, I grew up with Harry Potter. Though you've definitely made me feel a bit old! I first started reading them when I was about 11, after a friend in primary school said she really loved the books and I, after a couple of months of being a stubborn idiot who thought the books would surely be terrible, decided to give them a try and was just instantly hooked. In fact, my 8th grade teacher wrote in my grade report in the notes section that "Charlotte can always be found somewhere in a corner with a book, usually either astronomy or harry potter" (which is still frighteningly accurate today).

By the time the last book came out, I was 17, had switched to reading in English instead of Dutch, and had been reading so much HP fanfiction that the lines between canon and fanon were incredibly blurry in my mind. I had to work on the day the English edition was released, but I'd reserved a copy and had my mom pick it up for me. There were a couple of customers at work who already had it, in its special little paper bag and I was so, so jealous of them and so upset I had to actually work that day instead of having the whole weekend to sit down and read. (hashtag nerd etc)

Still, I love how my own age fit the age of the books so perfectly, that's definitely a thing I'm very grateful for.

Favourite character: having read that much fanfiction, my fav character was Draco. I've always had a bit of a fascination with why the asshole characters are the way they are, and I think fanfiction did a great job exploring that. I also would've liked more focus on the ravenclaw/hufflepuff characters, because honestly I think gryffindor & slytherin are overappreciated and overrepresented. And I really appreciate all of the Weasleys, a+ character development for Ginny and just generally a whole family of witty and hilarious redheads, I love it.

Hogwarts house: ravenclaw! I mean, come on. I read nonfiction for fun and I'm teaching myself math and spanish at the moment, how could I be anything but ravenclaw.

Favourite book/movie: my favourite book used to be HBP and my favourite movie Deathly Hallows, but I THINK it both moved to GoF now. That scene where they bring back Cedric's body and the orchestra and the audience slowly go silent, I just. It gets me everytime. That, and GoF was a turning point in the series, where it went from "cute childrens books with added murder" to "full on war and darkness with teenagers". I love me some angst and drama.

lgbtq in hp: I understand where the frustration comes from now, but speaking as someone who was a queer teenager in a rural area in the time these books were so incredibly popular, times really were simply different then. I had to look for lists of lgbt books online and then try to find them in our library, just to realize they had just a fraction of that list. JK Rowling didn't even put her full name on the books because female writers had (and still have) less chance at succeeding and the publishers hoped that by putting only her initials people could be 'tricked' into reading the books anyway. The books were already being censored and banned from schools. To add an openly gay character in a book series this popular and this mainstream would mean taking the risk of killing it all off. It just wasn't done. I remember being incredibly excited when I found out Dumbledore was actually gay, and the backlash I've seen since was so strange at first. I understand it now, and to an extent I do agree that JK Rowling could've done better, especially later on with the Cursed Child. I'm hoping the next Fantastic Beasts film, with its younger Dumbledore in an (apparently) big role, will do something to fix this tragedy, but honestly I'm not building up too much hope.

But really though, we have it so good nowadays in terms of lgbt representation. I know there's still a lot of work to be done and it's not nearly at the levels I'd want it to be, but so many shows have queer characters now? There are shows and movies about queer characters?? And it's not all subtext anymore that you really have to read into. Especially in YA, it feels like there's a flood of lgbt content at the moment and I am loving it. It just wasn't there when I was an actual teenager (only 10 years ago, dear god have things changed in 10 years, I feel old, so old.)

genderneutral term: maybe something like magician? warlock?

User avatar
somethingsketchy
hobbit hair
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 6:48 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: reading slump

Re: Harry Potter

Post by somethingsketchy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Happy Harry Potter epilogue day! *imagine fireworks*
Image

User avatar
fondsmiles
hobbit hair
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Germany

Re: Harry Potter

Post by fondsmiles » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:27 pm

somethingsketchy wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am
Happy Harry Potter epilogue day! *imagine fireworks*
yes!! indeed! see you all at platform 9 3/4! I am of no age to attend Hogwarts still, and not old enough to send my children, so let's say, I am a loving aunt. or, maybe I could be a teacher. a school psychologist; hogwarts should really invest in one of those. yeah. that's me.
or maybe i am just a creepy witch standing on the sidelines, grinning like mad, as strangers send their kids to school.
pls don't call the aurors i am nice i swear
Image
[x]
Image
[x]

User avatar
sparkle
Ar·tic·u·late
Posts: 448
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:12 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: UK

Re: Harry Potter

Post by sparkle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:13 pm

somethingsketchy wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am
Happy Harry Potter epilogue day! *imagine fireworks*
SHE.
PREDICTED.
THE.
WEATHER.
CORRECTLY.

:garbage:

(I'm gonna be watching HP in bed tonight :love1:)
supplier of phandom tinfoil
there is a 99% chance that I am projecting onto Dan at any one time

Post Reply