Rhett and Link

scientia
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm Anyone else listen to the latest Earbiscuits?

They are being brutally honest about some of their reactions to the recent change, and in general their opinions on GMM as a show and it's longevity.
I have, and I'm still not sure what to think. I mean, I'd tend to take what RandL say in "defense" of their changes more seriously than most other youtubers. I now think that if they had been upfront with all of the ideas funneling into this change from the beginning - say, before the first new episode - there wouldn't have been as much of a backlash.

I see in the yt comments that a lot of people are criticizing Rhett particularly for being more passionate/vocal in a preach-y way. Do you guys see this too?
scientia
phabergé

998274 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:53 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm Anyone else listen to the latest Earbiscuits?

They are being brutally honest about some of their reactions to the recent change, and in general their opinions on GMM as a show and it's longevity.
Yes I have! I have been a fan of Rhett and Links for a long time. I also have been frustrated with GMM, even before the format change. I prefer watching their interaction, not produced challenge videos. Ear Biscuits, however, is one of my ultimate favorites and I listen to every episode. The one you are talking about was extremely interesting and made me really appreciate their honesty.

By the way, Buddy System is a very entertaining show, so I would recommend watching that instead of GMM. I haven't finished the second season yet, but I thought the first was incredible.
Sorry for the double post but I couldn't agree more re: their interaction. I tend to like the GMMore episodes more these days, as there's a larger chance it'll just be Rhett and Link talking or sharing a story. Man, the early seasons are still so enjoyable for this reason!

I have YTRed but haven't watched Buddy System, I think I'll give it a shot now!
apathy
sad dimple

scientia wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 am

I have, and I'm still not sure what to think. I mean, I'd tend to take what RandL say in "defense" of their changes more seriously than most other youtubers. I now think that if they had been upfront with all of the ideas funneling into this change from the beginning - say, before the first new episode - there wouldn't have been as much of a backlash.

I see in the yt comments that a lot of people are criticizing Rhett particularly for being more passionate/vocal in a preach-y way. Do you guys see this too?
They seemed to take the money issue really to heart and dwelled on it a bit too long. And the idea that "real celebrities don't deal with this" is DEFINITELY not true. Has any band with any amount of success not been accused of selling out? Actors who put their name on clothing lines or perfumes or do commercials for anything? You're not pioneers here.

I wish they would've spent more time on the creative side of it, because Link only gave two examples of "things we wouldn't have done before", and they both sounded to me exactly like things they've done before. Freezing themselves? Same Physical Challenge category as ice baths and sensory deprivation in my head, they've done both. He made it sound like "but we did it at a field location", like wow guys, so creative. Big Mac/Whopper something? I dunno, I skipped it, it looked like Yet Another Food Video (tm), maybe there was something super original in it that I missed?

I guess I'm just not on the same page they are with that. I get wanting to expand and evolve, but all I saw in thumbnails and titles was the same old type of stuff they've been doing for years x 4, so if there's a burst of creativity anywhere in there, they need to figure out how to show it, because "will it taco" is not creative when you did "will it pizza" the week before just because it now features a corn shell.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
alien
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her

I actually felt a little bad watching/listening to the new Ear Biscuits ep where they're talking about the changes because they genuinely seem hurt by people's reactions. I like RnL and have been a casual (not involved in fandom but pretty much daily viewer) fan for many years and I want to be on the same page as them but I just hate this new format so much. And my main complaint has stayed the same - each video feeling super rushed and very scripted - and they didn't address it at all. So I don't know lol.

I am definitely enjoying Buddy System season 2 though! I may have stopped watching GMM daily but as long as I don't binge the new season of Buddy System I can still have something to watch daily until I've run out of episodes =/
quercussp
living flop

alien wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:14 pm I actually felt a little bad watching/listening to the new Ear Biscuits ep where they're talking about the changes because they genuinely seem hurt by people's reactions. I like RnL and have been a casual (not involved in fandom but pretty much daily viewer) fan for many years and I want to be on the same page as them but I just hate this new format so much. And my main complaint has stayed the same - each video feeling super rushed and very scripted - and they didn't address it at all. So I don't know lol.

I am definitely enjoying Buddy System season 2 though! I may have stopped watching GMM daily but as long as I don't binge the new season of Buddy System I can still have something to watch daily until I've run out of episodes =/
I totally agree that the new format makes the episodes feel rushed BUT they are addressing it, and the episodes they filmed more recently have a much more relaxed vibe (you can tell when something was recorded by how bad the lighting is - they are still figuring out how to make it less yellow, but the newer stuff has gotten much better). So they are trying. I still feel that some of the segments are really bad, but I hope they figure it out and for the last week I certainly have enjoyed at least one of the segments they put out.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

998274 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm
alien wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:14 pm I actually felt a little bad watching/listening to the new Ear Biscuits ep where they're talking about the changes because they genuinely seem hurt by people's reactions. I like RnL and have been a casual (not involved in fandom but pretty much daily viewer) fan for many years and I want to be on the same page as them but I just hate this new format so much. And my main complaint has stayed the same - each video feeling super rushed and very scripted - and they didn't address it at all. So I don't know lol.

I totally agree that the new format makes the episodes feel rushed BUT they are addressing it, and the episodes they filmed more recently have a much more relaxed vibe (you can tell when something was recorded by how bad the lighting is - they are still figuring out how to make it less yellow, but the newer stuff has gotten much better). So they are trying. I still feel that some of the segments are really bad, but I hope they figure it out and for the last week I certainly have enjoyed at least one of the segments they put out.
I tried to watch again today and made it halfway through the first segment before noping out. It's just too dumb. These aren't dumb guys, why is the content so dumb? I don't even need classy or intellectual stuff, but Link gagging over weirdly flavored things five times a week will never appeal to me.

Buddy System is great, though. And Earbiscuits is the thing I've been into for years so I guess I'll just accept that GMM isn't for me.
quercussp
living flop

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm
998274 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm

I tried to watch again today and made it halfway through the first segment before noping out. It's just too dumb. These aren't dumb guys, why is the content so dumb? I don't even need classy or intellectual stuff, but Link gagging over weirdly flavored things five times a week will never appeal to me.

Buddy System is great, though. And Earbiscuits is the thing I've been into for years so I guess I'll just accept that GMM isn't for me.
I wish they would lay off the gross food stuff. It gets them the most views, but all the dedicated fans I know (including me) hate these episodes. I also feel that I'm not the target audience for GMM anymore and I like about 10-25% of the episodes, but I've watched it for years, so it's really painful to give up that part of my morning routine.
alien
procrastinator

(I would embed the tweet but I can never figure out how)

So I just saw this tweet and thought it was interesting because yesterday I closed out of the episode a couple mins into it because I just didn't like the guest very much (I tend to not like guests unless I'm already familiar with them idk). I certainly didn't leave any comment about it but I guess some people were a little vocal about it.

Did any of you watch yesterday's video and if you did what did you think of it? I almost want to go back and finish the episode because of the reaction lol

I still don't watch as much GMM as I used to since the relaunch but I will say that there have been some episodes I've really enjoyed, the celebrity impersonators one comes to mind immediately.
Last edited by lefthandedism on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed twitter embedding
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Yikes. I had to go watch the episode just to see what people were complaining about. I was kind of biased bc I looked at comments first, I knew some of the complaints people had. I will say that Padma's humor in general is very dry and sarcastic, I didn't see too much offensive in what she said. The spitting was a bit gross and excessive though. I get the feeling she might have been told to play that up some? I mean, she's a host/judge on a cooking show, it's not like she doesn't know how to handle eating food she doesn't like.
alien
procrastinator

It looks like they're going back to the original GMM format in August and will be adding a Saturday recap show.
With the next season of “Good Mythical Morning,” the show will return to a one-segment, 12- to 15-minute daily episode that will premiere on YouTube in mid-August. The change for season 14 of “GMM” comes after YouTube funded an expanded version of the show as part of its ad-supported originals initiative, with multi-part segments running a total of 22 minutes or longer per day.

Meanwhile, season 14 of “Good Mythical Morning” will add a Saturday recap show, “Let’s Talk About That,” where every week Rhett and Link will be joined by “GMM” executive producer Stevie Wynne Levine to discuss their favorite moments from the week, reveal behind-the-scenes secrets and extra material, and interact with fans and Mythical crew members.
there's more at the source if you're interested
https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/r ... 202793713/
scientia
phabergé

alien wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:55 pm It looks like they're going back to the original GMM format in August and will be adding a Saturday recap show.
With the next season of “Good Mythical Morning,” the show will return to a one-segment, 12- to 15-minute daily episode that will premiere on YouTube in mid-August. The change for season 14 of “GMM” comes after YouTube funded an expanded version of the show as part of its ad-supported originals initiative, with multi-part segments running a total of 22 minutes or longer per day.

Meanwhile, season 14 of “Good Mythical Morning” will add a Saturday recap show, “Let’s Talk About That,” where every week Rhett and Link will be joined by “GMM” executive producer Stevie Wynne Levine to discuss their favorite moments from the week, reveal behind-the-scenes secrets and extra material, and interact with fans and Mythical crew members.
there's more at the source if you're interested
https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/r ... 202793713/
WOW! I did not expect them to go back to the original format. Sounds like they were locked into the 'experimental' format due to the YT Originals funding.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

On the subject of Ear Biscuits, does anyone else miss their long-form interview episodes? They were what I loved about Ear Biscuits. With vidcon this week, there are going to be so many interview opportunities. But it seems as thought they've moved away from that format, which is a pity. Heck, they had Saf and Tyler on GMM recently, that would have been a great interview! And, sigh, I guess I'm still holding out hope for a sitdown with DnP. It won't happen, but I can't let go of the dream. It would be the perfect Ear Biscuits episode! Even better than their interview with Hannah Hart (my current fav)
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sapienveneficus wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:51 pm On the subject of Ear Biscuits, does anyone else miss their long-form interview episodes? They were what I loved about Ear Biscuits. With vidcon this week, there are going to be so many interview opportunities. But it seems as thought they've moved away from that format, which is a pity. Heck, they had Saf and Tyler on GMM recently, that would have been a great interview! And, sigh, I guess I'm still holding out hope for a sitdown with DnP. It won't happen, but I can't let go of the dream. It would be the perfect Ear Biscuits episode! Even better than their interview with Hannah Hart (my current fav)
I miss the long form interviews a lot. That's how I was introduced to Rhett and Link, and I never really got into Ear Biscuits in its current format.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:42 pm
sapienveneficus wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:51 pm On the subject of Ear Biscuits, does anyone else miss their long-form interview episodes? They were what I loved about Ear Biscuits. With vidcon this week, there are going to be so many interview opportunities. But it seems as thought they've moved away from that format, which is a pity. Heck, they had Saf and Tyler on GMM recently, that would have been a great interview! And, sigh, I guess I'm still holding out hope for a sitdown with DnP. It won't happen, but I can't let go of the dream. It would be the perfect Ear Biscuits episode! Even better than their interview with Hannah Hart (my current fav)
I miss the long form interviews a lot. That's how I was introduced to Rhett and Link, and I never really got into Ear Biscuits in its current format.
I still listen, but mostly in the hopes that they'll return to their old format. I have skipped a few episodes though. That one early in this new season where they spent an hour talking to a guy who cleans sneakers for a living, that was the auditory equivalent to watching paint dry. I couldn't make it through.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I do miss their old interview format, but I like the current one a lot too. My favs of the old were when it was just them chilling and talking. It mostly depends on who they are interviewing if I'm gonna have any interest in the ep.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I just finished listening to their four-podcast series about religion. I was so nervous when I started it - but god, what a journey, and I'm so glad I listened through to the end.

The tl;dr for anyone who hasn't/doesn't want to listen (they're some lengthy podcasts, the last two are over an hour and a half each)
They were raised in a cult-like evangelical Christian sect (Young Earth). They've said they were engineers before they were youtubers but they're now admitting they were missionaries for a time between those two careers. After a lot of thought and speculation and reading and discussion they're now both agnostic.
alien
procrastinator

I really appreciated the way they approached the subject especially in regards to acknowledging their privilege as straight men. I really enjoyed the episodes. I did find Link's harder to listen to because he sounded so nervous to me and him telling the story about Rhett leaving him on the side of the highway after telling him he'd gotten drunk at a party was so sad lol.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I would love to be able to talk about this more, but I feel like I'm too close to the issue. I grew up very intensely Catholic, (like I don't know how electricity works levels of intense) so I see my life a lot in their stories. I mostly felt weird about them talking about the whole "Oh you moved to Los Angeles and then you stopped believing" because I did grow up in L.A. (funnily enough, like 20 minutes from their current studio lol) and was still very much sheltered. It can happen anywhere.

The only thing I would maybe say is that they didn't grow up in a young earth sect, but just run of the mill small town evangelical baptist. It's super common and not anything extra creepy, if that makes sense.

I guess I would also add in this edit. I always honestly suspected this was their story. Maybe not that they had landed on agnostic, but that their past was evangelical. They had some stuff be found many years ago from their missionary days (the veggietales stuff) and obviously just where they grew up. It was really nice to hear them acknowledge everything and clarify their stances on stuff, especially when they were so vocally neutral for a long time.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:06 pm I just finished listening to their four-podcast series about religion. I was so nervous when I started it - but god, what a journey, and I'm so glad I listened through to the end.

The tl;dr for anyone who hasn't/doesn't want to listen (they're some lengthy podcasts, the last two are over an hour and a half each)
They were raised in a cult-like evangelical Christian sect (Young Earth). They've said they were engineers before they were youtubers but they're now admitting they were missionaries for a time between those two careers. After a lot of thought and speculation and reading and discussion they're now both agnostic.
I'm definitely going to have to check these episodes out. As someone who comes from a similar faith community, I used to pick up on references they'd make in stories and old videos that began to paint a picture of their religious lives pre-YouTube fame. Funny aside, my friend's kids have this bible dvd where Rhett and Link voice two of the main characters. I'd always assumed they were still Christian but just didn't talk about their faith on air.

Someone below mentioned that it is possible to be a person of faith in LA which is definitely true. Full stop. In fact, I'm doing a bible study right now written by a rather well-known (in our world at any rate) evangelical pastor based in LA. That said, it is tough to be a person of faith in the entertainment industry as they are few and far between. It's not impossible, but definitely tough. Most faith traditions, Christianity included, place an emphasis on the importance of fellowship and community. So being removed from that community of believers can make things harder, not impossible, but harder. I'm really curious to hear if they talk about how their career impacted their views on faith.
alien
procrastinator

sapienveneficus wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:49 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:06 pm I just finished listening to their four-podcast series about religion. I was so nervous when I started it - but god, what a journey, and I'm so glad I listened through to the end.

Funny aside, my friend's kids have this bible dvd where Rhett and Link voice two of the main characters. I'd always assumed they were still Christian but just didn't talk about their faith on air.
They actually mention that in the episodes! I had no idea they'd done anything like that but it makes total sense that they'd be good at something like that.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

There are a lot more online. "The Fabulous Bentley Brothers" is their Veggietale stuff.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:55 am I would love to be able to talk about this more, but I feel like I'm too close to the issue. I grew up very intensely Catholic, (like I don't know how electricity works levels of intense) so I see my life a lot in their stories. I mostly felt weird about them talking about the whole "Oh you moved to Los Angeles and then you stopped believing" because I did grow up in L.A. (funnily enough, like 20 minutes from their current studio lol) and was still very much sheltered. It can happen anywhere.

The only thing I would maybe say is that they didn't grow up in a young earth sect, but just run of the mill small town evangelical baptist. It's super common and not anything extra creepy, if that makes sense.
I think my own experience/bias against those strongly creationist branches of Christianity is showing through, sorry. You may be right; they just mentioned it and everything in me recoiled. I am in the deep south, born and raised, and have seen firsthand how much that kind of religion can mess people up.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:20 pm
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:55 am I would love to be able to talk about this more, but I feel like I'm too close to the issue. I grew up very intensely Catholic, (like I don't know how electricity works levels of intense) so I see my life a lot in their stories. I mostly felt weird about them talking about the whole "Oh you moved to Los Angeles and then you stopped believing" because I did grow up in L.A. (funnily enough, like 20 minutes from their current studio lol) and was still very much sheltered. It can happen anywhere.

I think my own experience/bias against those strongly creationist branches of Christianity is showing through, sorry. You may be right; they just mentioned it and everything in me recoiled. I am in the deep south, born and raised, and have seen firsthand how much that kind of religion can mess people up.
Oh I'm the same. Everything is just very cringy for me to hear them talk about it. I just felt the need to point out they weren't in a like cult cult, just a typical southern baptist... which is just fundie/fundie-lite lol