Joe Sugg (ThatcherJoe)

whatdoiknow
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Joe Sugg (ThatcherJoe)

Post by whatdoiknow » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 am

I didn't see a thread yet for Joe (I guess he might have been discussed previously under the gleamers thread, but since he's not with gleam anymore hopefully it's fine for me to make a new thread with just him).

I don't have anything specific to say at the moment; I've just been catching up on his vlogmas and wanted to see what other people's thoughts are on him. I've been watching him casually for the past few years, and have found his content steadily entertaining. I don't watch every single video (I skim through the main channel for the ones that appeal to me, and catch up on a chunk of vlogs every now and then), but for the most part I really like him.

First of all, he seems like a genuinely nice person. I'm not a fan of everyone he hangs out with, but I think Joe seems to be a good person with a good heart, and also very funny.

I find his vlogs very entertaining, especially compared to a lot of "daily vlogger" types. He keeps a lot of the same running jokes that I still find amusing (e.g. "I'm not a daily vlogger" or "I'm not a daily vlogmasser" for xmas), and his vlogs just have a different tone in general from a lot of others. Like, he kind of parodies daily vlogging in a way. He'll always make little jokes in kind of a satirical way, like he's making fun of vlogging in general, but also himself. He's got a great sense of humour, and it translates well to his vlogging style.

Of course, he's also a business man too (his video on caspar's channel of caspar interviewing him shows a very interesting side, and I love how caspar tries to push away the walls joe builds up to his audience. He doesn't succeed too much, but it's something, and also shows a fairly different side of caspar as well. It's a pretty interesting video, link under the spoiler), but the way he comes across very light-hearted and genuine definitely works to his advantage. I've noticed that even the more 'edgy' youtubers/critics tend to like Joe even when they hate the rest of the gleamer squad.

Anyone else a fan of Joe? Any favourite videos of his?

scientia
living flop

Re: Joe Sugg (ThatcherJoe)

Post by scientia » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 am

whatdoiknow wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 am
Anyone else a fan of Joe? Any favourite videos of his?
Yes, I love Joe! I enjoy pretty much everything he does, but I especially like his vlogs (for some reason they're the number one thing to make me feel better if I'm having a panic attack or feeling ill). While he is a business man, I don't sense as much of the old Gleam-ness in him as I do in even Caspar. I really wish he'd go into why he left Gleam.
whatdoiknow wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 am
I've noticed that even the more 'edgy' youtubers/critics tend to like Joe even when they hate the rest of the gleamer squad.
I've noticed that too, such as with JaackMaate (the youtuber who roasted Zoella heavily for the advent calendar) - at about 4:32

whatdoiknow
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Post by whatdoiknow » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 am

scientia wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 am
Yes, I love Joe! I enjoy pretty much everything he does, but I especially like his vlogs (for some reason they're the number one thing to make me feel better if I'm having a panic attack or feeling ill). While he is a business man, I don't sense as much of the old Gleam-ness in him as I do in even Caspar. I really wish he'd go into why he left Gleam.
Do you sense a lot of that in Caspar? I'll admit, I don't watch too much of Caspar (just a video here and there, or him in other people's videos). I think that one vid I posted above made me feel like Caspar was actually a bit less bull-shitty than Joe, but I'm just going off that one video (like how Caspar was the one to bring up media training and call Joe out on using those tactics).

I think their new business is still in the works right? I don't follow that side of it too much, but I've seen some mentions (plus with Alfie talking about starting a new company and stuff - I wonder if that's all related). I wonder if they'll ever talk more about leaving Gleam once whatever their new company/business/whatever is solidified.
I've noticed that too, such as with JaackMaate (the youtuber who roasted Zoella heavily for the advent calendar) - at about 4:32
Jaackmaate's video talking about Joe was actually one of the examples I was referring to. I think part of the reason Joe gets off the hook more than other gleamers is that he's more of a 'lad' so the more edgy youtubers respect him (obvs that's not a good reason, but I think that makes a big difference).

flarequake
angel bean
Pronouns: She/her

Post by flarequake » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:41 am

I love Joe, he seems a decent bloke and I have a soft spot for him, along with a few others like Bertie Gilbert, as he's one of the first I discovered. I don't watch him much, but I loved his video the other day where he dressed up in his mum's old 80s clothes. I watched four or five of the prank-war videos last year, I should probably watch him more.

Ablissa
Ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Ablissa » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Joe is great! He seems like a genuine, funny and kind person. I like to put on his videos if I'm feeling down, always helps me calm down, so I can totally relate there scientia.
I especially love his prank videos and have watched those many times, also Dare Sugg, but honestly most of his Sunday videos are great. I don't watch too much of his vlogs simply because I don't like vlogs at all (I only like it when Deppy do it :D).

I'm glad he left Gleam and he seems to be doing well for himself. Also, controversial? opinion, I *far* prefer him over his sister in just about every way possible.

scientia
living flop

Post by scientia » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:44 am

whatdoiknow wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 am
scientia wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 am
Do you sense a lot of that in Caspar? I'll admit, I don't watch too much of Caspar (just a video here and there, or him in other people's videos). I think that one vid I posted above made me feel like Caspar was actually a bit less bull-shitty than Joe, but I'm just going off that one video (like how Caspar was the one to bring up media training and call Joe out on using those tactics).
I actually do agree that Caspar is less bull-shitty than Joe! I think when I wrote my original post I had just watched the video below and felt like rolling my eyes a little - just a very little though and only towards the middle of the video.
Ablissa wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 pm
I'm glad he left Gleam and he seems to be doing well for himself. Also, controversial? opinion, I *far* prefer him over his sister in just about every way possible.
I feel the same way re: Zoella, which is probably why this video made me roll my eyes :lol: