Emma Blackery

kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Thank you sparkle, I might check him out!

I watched Emma's weekly vlog (the short version) and she included small snippets of her new music. I must say it sounds pretty good to me, it definitely is influenced by Taylor Swift and Marina and the diamonds, but it's not a bad sound. She's also doing singing lessons and she talked about how she takes her music more seriously than ever.

She seems to be in a good place right now and I hope that lasts. I'm genuinely excited to see how this year turns out for her.
onetruetrash
blobfish

kavat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am Thank you sparkle, I might check him out!

I watched Emma's weekly vlog (the short version) and she included small snippets of her new music. I must say it sounds pretty good to me, it definitely is influenced by Taylor Swift and Marina and the diamonds, but it's not a bad sound. She's also doing singing lessons and she talked about how she takes her music more seriously than ever.

She seems to be in a good place right now and I hope that lasts. I'm genuinely excited to see how this year turns out for her.
Taylor and Marina?! I have to see this. Weird combo but I love both of them.
kavat
pastel persona

onetruetrash wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:29 am
kavat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am Thank you sparkle, I might check him out!

Taylor and Marina?! I have to see this. Weird combo but I love both of them.
Yeah she does this voice thing that I thought reminded me of Marina. I'm looking forward to hearing more!
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I watched the vlog and I liked it! She seems really happy lately and I'm glad she's in such a good place. Based on the snippets from the vlog it does sound a lot like Taylor's "Reputation" but I'll wait forming an opinion on that until we have an actual song. :D I'm not getting Marina though but there's definitely a Lorde or Tove Lo vibe to her singing style in the snippets. Like, she's doing what's most popular at the moment once more and I'm still not really convinced this is genuine Emma but if she's happy with it I'm not going to complain too much.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Look I get that the media shining lights on negative youtubers is troubling to the whole community but saying you don’t want be known for doing youtube for a living because the industry will think you’re like those people is extremely eye rolling to me. Literally show the industry that despite what these assholes that abuse the site do, there is still some good in it all?? I don’t even follow Emma but this came up in my feed because a handful of youtubers I follow liked the tweet and it rubbed me the wrong way. The amount of people saying “yes don’t define yourself as a youtuber this shit is bad” is just incredibly naive. I just... if you want the industry to think differently, prove to them not all youtubers are like this by showing them what YOU do. Letting the media win on it saying what a youtuber is, isn’t fair to the community at all. Fight back and stand for what is right. Do not be a coward and back away from the title that you actually do for a living.
And while Emma does do music, she does vlog like videos way more than music. Her channels clearly show that she’s more of a youtuber rather than a musician to me?
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
kavat
pastel persona

She actually talked about that in her latest video, how she wants to go from a youtuber who does music to a musician who does youtube. I don't see why she can't do both, but sure.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I definitely think there is a thing where if a youtuber wants to be taken seriously by the music industry they need to take a step back from youtube so I don't think it's just Emma being... well Emma.

Troye pretty much abandoned the platform completely when his music career started to take off. And a youtuber Bry who released an album straight up said at the time he was giving up youtube so he would be taken more seriously as a musician. There is a real stigma there.

I suppose in Emma's case though youtube pays her bills not music (something she pointed out herself in her roast yourself video) so she trying the unique approach of trying to rebrand as a musician while still being still being a full time youtuber which isn't likely to have the affect she wants.
kavat
pastel persona

So it seems like she started over with her Instagram again? It only has 1 post and it's not sideways. I wonder what made her change it this time...
Birdie
blobfish

Emmaaaa, stop. Didn't she just delete everything a few weeks ago? Wasn't that her fresh new start as a serious musician? No shade, I'm just curious why she'd do it again. She hasn't tweeted about it, I think, but she did tweet that she doesn't want to hold grudges anymore, which also sounds a lot different from what she said a few weeks ago when revenge was basically her middle name. (She also said she won't change anything about the new album though, which I'm glad to hear. Can't wait for all the diss tracks tbh.)

Regarding YouTube and the stigma... I get her. YouTube has a horrible reputation these days and Youtube musicians in particular are usually looked down upon because peoples' minds usually jump to talentless tween icons selling bad pop music to kids. That's not fair to Emma and other talented musicians on YouTube at all but that's what it is. I have a feeling Emma might leave Youtube if her music career takes off, just like Troye did, and to be honest, good for her. Music has always been what she really wanted to do and if it starts paying her bills, I don't see any reason for her to keep doing Youtube.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Katka wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pmRegarding YouTube and the stigma... I get her. YouTube has a horrible reputation these days and Youtube musicians in particular are usually looked down upon because peoples' minds usually jump to talentless tween icons selling bad pop music to kids. That's not fair to Emma and other talented musicians on YouTube at all but that's what it is. I have a feeling Emma might leave Youtube if her music career takes off, just like Troye did, and to be honest, good for her. Music has always been what she really wanted to do and if it starts paying her bills, I don't see any reason for her to keep doing Youtube.
I definitely agree with this, though I do see it as shortsighted of her to start burning the youtube bridge while it is still what pays the bills. I'm just not sure the logic in alienating her fanbase by making it clear that the youtube audience is not the audience she wants and not one she appreciates while she actually still very much needs those people vocally supporting her in order to make waves in the music industry.

Still, if this makes her happy, I hope it works out... and doesn't just lead to a "whoops guys I really DO love youtube" 180 if the music doesn't go well this year and she needs to keep the lights on.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

kavat wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:44 pm So it seems like she started over with her Instagram again? It only has 1 post and it's not sideways. I wonder what made her change it this time...
yeah i mean, i thought the whole point of her doing that in the first place was to document her life daily this year. even if she archived the posts so she can look back at them, i don't understand the point of posting them daily only to get rid of them when the month is over.
000dia000
emo goose

You know, I know she wants to start afresh, more power to her, but if I was a new fan of hers I would feel a little turned off by a bare Twitter/Instagram with nothing but promotions. I would not follow her. And to be honest, I'm going to miss her old pics haha
:cactus:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I guess this ultimately shows growth from her. I'm glad she wasn't publicly ungrateful to be called a youtuber by apple, but the whole reaction reads really strangely to me. Maybe that's just me.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

yeah, i always get a bit of a strange vibe from her tweets as well. a lot seems to come off as passive-aggressive. not sure how i feel about this though. she could just stop talking about what she has done in the past and focus on what she says she'll focus on (i.e. her music career). no need to pat yourself on the back imo. don't tell people how much you've grown; they'll say it when they see it. but emma has always had a tendency to run her mouth off ... not really good for pr, regardless of how honest you are.

i am glad she finally seems to see that ultimately people will always judge you less by what you say and more by what you actually do.
kavat
pastel persona

So... Thoughts on the new song?

sonicgreen
woodland creature

Typical pop so not really my taste, but at the first hINT of the chorus it sounded like a taylor swift parody… (feels like its pandering to a young audience with all the slang terms like, shade, tea, reciepts. but maybe thats just me?)
alien
procrastinator

That jean skirt is tragic. The song's alright but it is very on the nose.
kavat
pastel persona

If I heard the song on the radio I would think it was just another generic pop song, nothing more nothing less. Listening to the lyrics... yeah, very on the nose. Slightly cringey. The video is just a bit off, she can't really dance and the lip sync isn't 100% perfect.

So close to being good but not really there.
000dia000
emo goose

To get the negatives out of the way, whoever is the artistic director for this needs to be more artistic and less generic because the whole video feels like a parody of current pop music videos. I feel like there's a lot of elements that would have made it good, I like the aesthetic and some of the shots are nice, but the dancing...it's too forced. She's bopping away with the girls, it's cute, I'd like it if it was a vlog, but I'd wayyy too awkward and underdeveloped to have any balance in the video. Basically, whoever directed this, planned this out (even Emma) needs to reevaluate themselves. I'd rather not watch it again, or else I'd pick out something in the editing that's misplaced. It feels that awkward.

BUT!!! I'm not actually into the genre and it's not really my cup of tea, but I'm actually proud of Emma. She's trying out new styles?? Fucking hell, that's great. I think the song's a bop and even though the song's theme is basically being bitter it makes me lol, like it's kind of more relatable in a way. Idgaf about "spreading a negative message", it's just music. I am kind of interested to see where the album goes from here, but idk if she's doing something new, then I'm interested.
:cactus:
Birdie
blobfish

I actually kinda love it? I listen to a lot of pop music and I actually don't think this is too generic. It does sound a lot like new Taylor Swift and Halsey but it lacks the forced edginess and that's what makes it so nice. I love how proudly petty the lyrics are, they set the song apart from all the love songs and breakup songs, and I like the details, like the spoken interludes or the little "ooh" on the second verse. Nice work, Emma. I wish her all the best anyways but she really deserves to gain some recognition as a musician at this point and if the whole album sounds like this, she's got a pretty good pop record on her hands that she can be proud of. I'm actually really looking forward to it now, totally here for this new Emma. (And the genre suits her voice extremely well too.)

I agree that it's a bit on the nose of course but only if you're familiar with the whole drama and I think most people who will discover her music through this song won't be. I showed it to my friend and she liked the lyrics a lot so without the "baggage" of having seen the drama unfold, this is just a feisty pop song but in a good way. (The video however is pretty generic and I hope her next one will be better.)
alien
procrastinator

Katka wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 pm
I agree that it's a bit on the nose of course but only if you're familiar with the whole drama and I think most people who will discover her music through this song won't be. I showed it to my friend and she liked the lyrics a lot so without the "baggage" of having seen the drama unfold, this is just a feisty pop song but in a good way. (The video however is pretty generic and I hope her next one will be better.)
I probably heard and have just forgotten but what's the drama that happened? Is this song specifically about someone?
kavat
pastel persona

I realize might have worded my opinions a bit harsh last night. When I say it's a generic pop song, it's because it sounds like it could be played in the radio and turn up in Spotifys Hits right now playlist and I wouldn't bat an eye. The production is really good, especially compared to her earlier stuff that to me has sounded a lot more low budget. This doesn't. I think the fact that I know who and what she's singing about takes away a bit from that, but as you say, if you don't know you probably don't care.

I'm still not watching the video again because it's just not good.
kavat
pastel persona

alien wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:44 am
I probably heard and have just forgotten but what's the drama that happened? Is this song specifically about someone?
I don't know if you figured this out yet but considering she said that she wrote the song in august it's very likely to be about the Jack Howard/Hazel Hayes drama that went down around that time. You can read back in this thread here.

Emma even tweeted this today, she's not really hiding what it's about.
alien
procrastinator

kavat wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:38 pm
alien wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:44 am
I don't know if you figured this out yet but considering she said that she wrote the song in august it's very likely to be about the Jack Howard/Hazel Hayes drama that went down around that time. You can read back in this thread here.

Emma even tweeted this today, she's not really hiding what it's about.
Thank you I genuinely appreciate it! I don't even know what to say after reading that thread, I somehow missed all of that lol It's such a mess.
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i feel like i just watched an snl parody song about teen slang and revenge.
Image Image