Jenna Marbles & Julien

mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: she/her

^ oh no, i've made it sound more dramatic than it is...the stream was so minor it wouldn't stand out at all with no context (and the context is probably only mine). i think she's happy and content, and just not feeling the pressure she maybe once felt. it's just lots of little things i notice - how shaken up and injured she was the year following the car crash, infrequent self-conscious comments about her body she never used to make, not wanting to be on camera on their twitch streams any longer, joking about hating leaving the house (she was always a homebody but it seems to have amped up? not wanting to grocery shop, etc), changes in her clothing and appearance.

the stream where she sounded unusually bummed out over tech problems (it's moreso that julien goes quiet the rest of the stream and keeps looking back at her, after it being quite a jovial one):

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217680286
from 6.39:00 - 6.45:00ish

she's not gaining that much confidence as a pubg player despite being pretty good and a quick learner imo, and getting lots of encouragement from julien and all the people they play squads with (sacrificing herself, doesn't speak up when she needs heals, waits for everyone else to take good loot first). i think i only started remembering i'd picked up on a general vibe because of how bothered they sounded in that podcast about the future.
art in avatar by lily
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Meee!!! Thank you so much for creating a topic for them!
I watched Jenna since the very first beginning, true OG JennaMarbles was my shit growing up. I literally feel like I'm growing with her channel and man it feels awesome. Her whole "what do girl's blank means" is so important to me it used to be the only thing I watched on YT.

That ASMR unboxing gaming tutorial video?? I watch that at least once a week. She is really my favorite female youtuber right now. She does whatever the fuck she wants and I admire that so much.

Recently, though, I started to watch Julien's vlogs more because I'm not particularly a fan of vlog channels. I ADORE Julien he is so sweet, cares for all the dogs, and they make the cutest family.

Not that I care that much for award shows but Jenna is nominated for a Streamy for Youtuber of the decade. Idk who else is there but she deserves that!!
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

I've been subscribed to Jenna for a long time and I've watched some of her videos in the past but it was more of a "she's a classic youtuber so i subscribed once and never unsubscribed" rather than me actually watching her new videos. But for some reason last week I went on a binge and I was like omg !! How have I not been paying more attention to her sooner !! She and Julian are so hilarious and well fitted together, and Jenna has such a great personality, she is an extremely sensible (as in reasonable) yet goofy person.
I watched like all of their videos about their pets I love those so much and anything with ad in it is my favourite thing ever :love2:
I also watched their asmr podcast and man, it was so good, I was half falling asleep half laughin.

I was wondering if some of you have favourite videos you would recommend? Cause she has a lot of content so I don't know if there are some 'best ones' I could watch first :D
(Not really into gaming tho)
greenergrass
stress mushroom

mermaid blood wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:44 pm ^ oh no, i've made it sound more dramatic than it is...the stream was so minor it wouldn't stand out at all with no context (and the context is probably only mine). i think she's happy and content, and just not feeling the pressure she maybe once felt. it's just lots of little things i notice - how shaken up and injured she was the year following the car crash, infrequent self-conscious comments about her body she never used to make, not wanting to be on camera on their twitch streams any longer, joking about hating leaving the house (she was always a homebody but it seems to have amped up? not wanting to grocery shop, etc), changes in her clothing and appearance.

the stream where she sounded unusually bummed out over tech problems (it's moreso that julien goes quiet the rest of the stream and keeps looking back at her, after it being quite a jovial one):

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/217680286
from 6.39:00 - 6.45:00ish

she's not gaining that much confidence as a pubg player despite being pretty good and a quick learner imo, and getting lots of encouragement from julien and all the people they play squads with (sacrificing herself, doesn't speak up when she needs heals, waits for everyone else to take good loot first). i think i only started remembering i'd picked up on a general vibe because of how bothered they sounded in that podcast about the future.
Oh gotcha. I can see where you're coming from. I don't pay a lot of attention to her in general, other than watching some of her videos. I did notice some of the things you mentioned (e.g. change in clothes and appearance, some mentions of not leaving the house a lot) but I had actually taken that the opposite way - like that she was more confident in herself to just be chill and wear casual clothes, and not feel the need to dress up and go out and party and stuff. But that conclusion was basically based on nothing, it was just my first instinct from seeing some of the changes.

But now that you mention some of those other things, I can see what you mean. I haven't seen them all personally (since I don't follow her that closely) but I can definitely see things from your perspective. I'm going to be on a bit more of a lookout for those things you mentioned in future videos, since you've got me a bit curious now. Not trying to make it dramatic either, and I do hope (and think) she's mainly in a good place, but you never know.
AroboticPhil wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 pm I was wondering if some of you have favourite videos you would recommend? Cause she has a lot of content so I don't know if there are some 'best ones' I could watch first :D
(Not really into gaming tho)
This is an old one, but one of the first videos that got me into her was "Some Idiot/How Sports Bras Work". I really liked a lot of her rant-y type videos from around that time, but they might be outdated now, I haven't watched them in ages. Also, any of the videos with her dogs are gold, so look for those ones. I think she has a playlist of them on her channel. I can't think of anymore specific videos at the moment, but if I come across any I remember especially liking, I'll drop them here.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

OMG please someone in the loop tell me what the tea is, which one of their friends was the slime ball predating on young girls in the fandom?! they mentioned chris and jeff at the start, i can't think of anyone else who may have 'stayed at their house over the years' other than snake?

re: the announcement at the start of this stream from today:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/243359143

i might try and stalk some of their fans on twitter before i go to bed to find out, but i'm not that involved so someone here might have a better summary. the announcement and their anger blindsided me! i was just trying to fall asleep to some gamez...

edit: i knew it!! i was annoyed/skeezed out by his mere voice alone in many pubg streams going back to last year. trust your instincts when someone seems off and you can't put your finger on why, i guess.

as always though, impressed with J&J's integrity. they inspire a good community around them.
art in avatar by lily
tigertatze
living flop

mermaid blood wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:26 am OMG please someone in the loop tell me what the tea is, which one of their friends was the slime ball predating on young girls in the fandom?! they mentioned chris and jeff at the start, i can't think of anyone else who may have 'stayed at their house over the years' other than snake?

re: the announcement at the start of this stream from today:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/243359143

i might try and stalk some of their fans on twitter before i go to bed to find out, but i'm not that involved so someone here might have a better summary. the announcement and their anger blindsided me! i was just trying to fall asleep to some gamez...

edit: i knew it!! i was annoyed/skeezed out by his mere voice alone in many pubg streams going back to last year. trust your instincts when someone seems off and you can't put your finger on why, i guess.

as always though, impressed with J&J's integrity. they inspire a good community around them.
From what I've read it's that "snake" guy and I wish they'd said who it was because as much as them clearly saying it's wrong and they cut him off is great it doesn't help anybody else stay clear of him if they don't know who "that person" is :shrug:
#nohetero
malday
emo goose

tigertatze wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:01 am From what I've read it's that "snake" guy and I wish they'd said who it was because as much as them clearly saying it's wrong and they cut him off is great it doesn't help anybody else stay clear of him if they don't know who "that person" is
I don't keep up with J&J's streams but it was easy to find out who the guy was, he has an "apology" video on his twitch, made before J&J's stream. I don't blame them for not saying his name it would have sent more curious people to his channel.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I cant get the twitch stream to work. Has it been put anywhere else yet?
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

RIP Ad the hamster :cry:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

oh no :( that's definitely the sadness of owning small pets
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Wow thats very sad. I know how much Jenna and Julien care for and love their animals like family… Poor things. RIP Ad
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

tigertatze wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:01 am From what I've read it's that "snake" guy and I wish they'd said who it was because as much as them clearly saying it's wrong and they cut him off is great it doesn't help anybody else stay clear of him if they don't know who "that person" is :shrug:
agree, that was/is a big down side of not naming names, especially if SO much attention is going to be brought to something without actually explaining what transpired at all. i'm not sure there's a perfect way to handle something like that though.

rest in peace, little Ad. rough month all up for both of them, with the passing of julien's best friend, yeesh.
art in avatar by lily
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I'm not crying, you're crying. :cry:

velra
not a first-time poster
Pronouns: they/she

The death of someone else's hamster has made me way sadder than I expected... RIP little buddy :cry: Life's hard sometimes.

I absolutely adore Jenna and Julien, they're some of the best people I can think of. The most open minded, kind-hearted dinks around. I do feel as though sometimes they defend people doing unacceptable things, either because they don't wanna rock the boat in their friend circles or because of some 'youtuber loyalty' thing. That's pretty much the only thing they do that bothers me though. They're otherwise an endless source of joy.

My favourite Jenna videos are the ones where you can tell she just had an idea and ran with it, and had fun doing so, stuff like 'My Dog Reviews Soap' which is iconic :lol:

Imo the best podcasts are ones that allow for lots of back and forth, like the Debate-Casts and Snake Oil! Strangely enough, I feel like my enjoyment goes down when they have guests on. The exception is of course the Debbie machine, who is always a joy.

Also, hugs and love to Julien. I hope he's dealing okay with his losses.
scientia
phabergé

:love2: :love2: :love2:
kavat
pastel persona

Aaw they're so sweet <3 I hate that they have to explain that they're not showing their house to brag, but to share an important step in their life. They probably still will get sour comments about it but that's just YouTube. Having followed Jenna since like 2011 it's so clear that she's not a bragging type of person, she feels so genuine and down to earth and Julien too. I'm just very happy for them :love2:
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I’m so damn proud of them, they’ve worked so hard. My bbs, such good people
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

24 hour streeeaamm tomorrow (well, starting tonight here), who's gonna be tuning in?

(also why are they streaming right now, if they start that in 8 hours?! shouldn't they be sleeping?)

edit: ...........next weekend. good reading comprehension, mermaid. :roll:
art in avatar by lily
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

did anyone else tune in? i've watched it most of today and the first few hours last night. was nice to have on in the background on a lazy sunday.

however, the energy was really different from the first one. maybe lack of visitors? a lot of their friends were missing. there's been much less iconic funny moments like 'bread is my wet'...
art in avatar by lily
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

We watched the first 30 minutes and then just kept tuning in through out the day. It was fun to see but I couldn't watch it for more like 30 minute chunks.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

:happytears:
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

somethingsketchy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:34 pm :happytears:
I adopted a greyhound back in january, and all of this hit so close to home. I'm still virtually carrying my 65 lb girl up the stairs every day because she just doesn't understand how they work. But other than the fact that mine is very outgoing and loves everyone versus their's being extremely shy, I've had the same experience. Greyhounds are just super lovely dogs.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Has everyone seen her most recent video? I missed all the drama about it, but it seems people have pulled out some of Jenna’s (extremely) old videos and called her out on them.

I really feel conflicted. I’m glad she loudly apologized but I also feel like it’s pretty obvious she doesn’t hold the same opinions as she used to, unlisting/privating old videos well before this.

Someone help me understand.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

My gut reaction was to be defensive and angry that she's gone when so much worse people were around.

But then I kind of tried to stop and just listen, because I feel like that's a personal thing I've needed to work on. And after reading some other opinions and sleeping on it I'm glad she apologized and I think the point of her video was good.

I desperately want her to come back to youtube. But I think that if anyone out there was hurt by her videos - now or back when she made them - I'm glad. I don't think it's my place to give any commentary on her apology toward Black or Asian viewers but I personally was emphatically not a fan of hers in her first decade or so on the platform because I saw so many of her videos on beauty and women and gender stereotypes when I was in college and they always hit me funny.

But rediscovering her was such a joy and realizing that as I grew up, she did too. (I'm actually two years older than her). The person she is now is so pure and inspirational and just someone who stays in her own lane and makes silly fun videos. As a youtube fan, I appreciated that so much. So for the only part of her video that I do feel like it's my right to comment on - the acknowledgement of her old gender stereotype videos - I'm grateful for even if I wasn't someone actively seeking it out.

I do have a bad taste in my mouth at her refusal to publicly rescind the support of Felix/Shane/Jeffree. But I feel like if it wasn't stopping me from watching her before then I can't say too much about it now. I'm hoping that, assuming the podcast still goes on, she might go more in detail on things like that there.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I genuinely believe - especially after reading julien's post today - that Jenna has been ready to leave youtube for awhile and she saw this as a way to 1) make good and apologize for the hurt her past videos caused and 2) leave the platform and become something else, a new chapter.

I suspect that honestly, it feels like a relief to her and she's been trying to leave youtube for awhile but just didn't know how. Especially given what Julien said about mental health.

I'm disappointed to see her go but I also appreciate that one less white lady on youtube creates more room for black creators. I don't think she was "cancelled" - I think she cancelled herself and that feels like a way to go.