PewDiePie

Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I'm actually so glad this happened. Maybe he will finally realise that his actions will have consequences and that he's not untouchable. This might actually get him thinking for once. I didn't even know this wasn't the first time he had used anti-semitic imaginary. The whole situation is worse than I thought it was (and it was pretty bad to begin with), I'm glad people finally spoke up and I'm really glad Disney took action and axed his deal. The grossest thing is how he apparently tried to talk his way out of it.
The Verge wrote:“I was trying to show how crazy the modern world is, specifically some of the services available online,” Kjellberg said. “I picked something that seemed absurd to me — that people on Fiverr would say anything for 5 dollars.”
Were you now? I don't buy this. It's like he's trying to prove he had good intentions and was actually a good guy instead of just, you know, being an insensitive mess of a person. But good for him for at least making clear he didn't want to be associated with any right wing people. That's a start.
hmm
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her

malday wrote:
BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:I haven't been actively following the Felix situation, but this article was in my twitter feed so I'm putting it here for the archives. Is him loosing his contract with Maker Studios news?
PewDiePie looses Disney deal as a result of anti-Semitic imagery
I didn't think Maker would do anything to him since they were catering to his every whim, giving him his own sub-network and producing Scare Pewdiepie 2.
I wonder what will happen to the other youtubers in RevelMode. Hope his stupidity doesn't end up costing them too.

He reaps what he sows.
lost the disney Maker sponsor and his google preferred youtube partnership (not sure if he is not a partner at all now, or if he just moves down from 'google preferred' to a lower form of partnership)
hmm
drama llama

Birdie wrote:I'm actually so glad this happened. Maybe he will finally realise that his actions will have consequences and that he's not untouchable. This might actually get him thinking for once. I didn't even know this wasn't the first time he had used anti-semitic imaginary. The whole situation is worse than I thought it was (and it was pretty bad to begin with), I'm glad people finally spoke up and I'm really glad Disney took action and axed his deal. The grossest thing is how he apparently tried to talk his way out of it.
The Verge wrote:“I was trying to show how crazy the modern world is, specifically some of the services available online,” Kjellberg said. “I picked something that seemed absurd to me — that people on Fiverr would say anything for 5 dollars.”
Were you now? I don't buy this. It's like he's trying to prove he had good intentions and was actually a good guy instead of just, you know, being an insensitive mess of a person. But good for him for at least making clear he didn't want to be associated with any right wing people. That's a start.
yeah ngl i smiled a little when i read about maker dropping him
000dia000
emo goose

Birdie wrote:I'm actually so glad this happened. Maybe he will finally realise that his actions will have consequences and that he's not untouchable. This might actually get him thinking for once. I didn't even know this wasn't the first time he had used anti-semitic imaginary. The whole situation is worse than I thought it was (and it was pretty bad to begin with), I'm glad people finally spoke up and I'm really glad Disney took action and axed his deal. The grossest thing is how he apparently tried to talk his way out of it.
Why does he sound like Donald Trump trying to dodge a question and make himself out as the victim?

YouTube cancels PewDiePie's original series following Nazi controversy
"PewDiePie also lost his preferred advertising status"
:cactus:
papierklemmen
flower crown

wow i didn't even know there was such a thing as google preferred advertising program, i wonder how much is the $$$ difference between it and the regular ads.

ngl i'm having a schadenfreude moment. it's not good to gloat over someone's loss in income but his untouchable status was seriously getting out of control. if your content is being celebrated by neo nazis it's time to rethink your humour, whatever the intention. the recent increase in antisemitic humour everywhere has been bothering me, because it was barely fucking yesterday that my grandma was running places to hide from nazis (yeah my parents are old) and now there are idiots like this who are "warming up the world to the idea".

countdown to a video in which he complains about it and plays the victim, in 3..2..1..
syzygy
drama llama

I'm so glad that he has finally received a tangible repercussion for his shitty edgelord humour. I hate this brand of humour where white twentysomething men can say whatever racist/xenophobic/homophobic shit they like as long as they mention that they aren't actually racist or they didn't intend it to be offensive, it's a joke!!

(now i wait with bated breath for dan to make a wishywashy comment in his ls on how we shouldn't judge people and we should always give people a second chance and felix is actually a really good friend of mine)
malday
emo goose

shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

SocialBlade wrote:As of Tuesday morning, PewDiePie’s YouTube channel still appears to be claimed by Maker Studios, but is expected to be released soon.
https://socialblade.com/blog/disney-mak ... pewdiepie/
malday
emo goose

it still doesn't change the fact that real neonazis are praising him. does ethan even know the origin of the "memes" felix used? no shit people are going to think he's a real antisemite, the real world doesn't live on 4chan.
malday
emo goose

DeFranco breaks down the situation better (from 0:00-6:50) if only he would be as unbiased with the shay carl scandal

august
tol bean

i know i shouldn't read the youtube comments............but i keep reading the youtube comments and getting increasingly annoyed at the sheer number of people who are screaming about free speech, political correctness, context matters, etc. yes, context matters and the context of the ENTIRE GLOBAL POLITICAL ATMOSPHERE matters in this case. there is an entire subset of far right supporters who don't actually give a shit about politics but see candidates like trump as the ~troll in chief~ and couldn't give less of a shit about policies as long as they keep their internet access and their memes. if felix was willing to co-op their brand of humor and make references that weren't even oblique, he should have been ready to face the consequences.

i have a fairly high tolerance for bullshit and watched felix regularly through the end of november before it got too much for me. i honestly don't think he's a bad guy but he's oblivious about his own privilege and incredibly irresponsible about the influence that he wields. i'm glad he got smacked down.
malday
emo goose

cue the ass kissers defence squad:
antigone
butt chair

But you realise he will probably benefit from this?

Most of the coverage I've seen online has been people disagreeing that Pewdiepie did anything wrong and people calling out the media. H3H3 made a video response, countless others probably will too. He's getting more attention and it isn't necessarily negative. He's not stuck to a contract with Maker Studios now and can do what he wants - let's face it, he's not going to have any trouble finding another network if he wanted to.
malday
emo goose

antigone wrote:But you realise he will probably benefit from this?

Most of the coverage I've seen online has been people disagreeing that Pewdiepie did anything wrong and people calling out the media. H3H3 made a video response, countless others probably will too. He's getting more attention and it isn't necessarily negative. He's not stuck to a contract with Maker Studios now and can do what he wants - let's face it, he's not going to have any trouble finding another network if he wanted to.
Most likely.

He wanted/wants those controversial views to keep rolling on his videos while not having to apologize or take any responsibility.

He hasn't made a video making it clear where he stands or distance himself from the neonazi groups that praise him (just a tumblr post, on which he has a way smaller audience), because that would mean admitting a tiny bit of fault and alienating his new "non-pc" audience.

I'm really curious where the big revelmoders (Markiplier, Jacksepticeye) stand. Even Marzia.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

antigone wrote:But you realise he will probably benefit from this?

This is the sad truth. Tbh, the saying "any press is good press/there is no such thing as bad publicity", is not just a random saying. So many scandals actually boost a person's career and popularity. Maybe people will shun you for a while, but in the end, they know your name and tend to forget about what you did or simply stop caring. As long as PewDiePie still calls his comments jokes, he will probably profit from this. In a world in which white supremacists are feeling more confident again because of recent political events, a rich white guy will not get in (a lot of) trouble. Even if he lost and keeps losing followers, he will also gain many. And if you are fine with having an audience full of ignorant people and nazis, then why bother with political correctness?
Honestly, he simply got rid of those fans who actually did call him out on problematic behaviour, gained fans who celebrate or excuse his insensitive and simply disgusting commentary and got rid of Maker, which might have restricted him in some ways. So much more freedom for him, so much publicity, I wouldn't be surprised if he planned all this and is now sitting behind his screen, grinning like the idiot he is.
pulvis et umbra sumus
malday
emo goose

his comment section is swamped with pewds fanboys.
papierklemmen
flower crown

but he was still pulled from google preffered and got his ytr show cancelled because of all this, i doubt he's enjoying that. unless all these freedom of speech advocates change youtube's mind there's still loss on his part.
GreenLight
smol bean
Pronouns: he/him

The thing is that Pewdiepie can defend his comments as "jokes" all he wants, but they're not even funny. The 4chan brand of humor in which saying the most offense thing you can think of isn't humor. It's immature and not original at all. Making jokes about hitler, 9/11, saying f*g or racial slurs or degrading comments about women etc isn't provocative humor, it's just ignorant. White privilege has allowed him to skate by, but I'm glad karma has caught up to him.
FREEDOM OF THE PRESS*
*but if only you're a white male
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

Good thing for him. He should be taught that not everyone is gonna suck up to him just because he's the most "popular" on Youtube.
malday
emo goose

At the start i thought he was going to be serious and humble and almost felt bad for him but then he goes full on smug asshole at 6:20

I can't believe him when he said he didn't know what type of audience he was attracting.
He was baiting the media too.
He was feeding off of the controversy.

He didn't start youtube yesterday, piss off with the waterworks bro!
antigone
butt chair

Sub count has gone up and if you check his mentions, he's got so much support in the community (Markiplier, Casey Neistat, Phillip Defranco etc.)

I personally think his response video was done really well, but I never agreed with Disney dropping him and the WSJ article anyway.
human
dan hand trash

Idk. I don't believe he is any of those things, but I'm also bothered by his entitlement to being able to joke and fool around as he pleases. He doesn't even genuinely apologise for any people he may have offended. Within the first three minutes, he's manipulated the viewer into accepting that HE is the victim here.

All I can say is that I'm glad I unsubscribed months ago.
sentinel
lady door

I basically agree with PDP

Also, I don't get why a certain group should be protected. By that logic, the "WE MUST RETAKE CONSTANTINOPLE" meme is offensive to the Turkish people because it promotes the invasion of their country.
malday
emo goose

sentinel wrote: Also, I don't get why a certain group should be protected. By that logic, the "WE MUST RETAKE CONSTANTINOPLE" meme is offensive to the Turkish people because it promotes the invasion of their country.
ok i'l bite the bait, what group was protected and how?
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I just find it so strange that even some of the most politically-informed, left-leaning youtubers are still excusing him:

I have no doubt that if pewdiepie wasn't a youtuber Hank Green would have no qualms about critiquing his behaviour. I don't understand how someone who is generally quite reasonable can miss the point so badly: it's not even about whether Felix actually believes what he's saying (I don't think he does) it's about the fact that it is literally dangerous to make anti-semitic comments, especially in today's political climate. Regardless of his intent, he is making jokes that play into the rise of neo-Nazism and that justify anti-Semitic language/beliefs. There are people in his comments who genuinely praise him for this behaviour, who don't give a shit whether or not he's serious but simply see the most popular youtuber essentially validating/justifying their anti-semitism.

Why is it that other youtubers are so hesitant to call him out? And I understand that there are many youtubers that never involve themselves in youtube drama, but Hank Green is someone who involves himself openly with politics and social justice, so it just feels so strange and disappointing to me that he feels the need to defend Felix, given that I can't see him defending someone in traditional media the same way.