PewDiePie

howarethelads
smol bean
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:13 am

Re: PewDiePie

Post by howarethelads » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:58 am

thephandommenace wrote:This thread has really opened my eyes to the widespreadness of 4chan humour and normalising of offensive language. It's incredibly serious. I've never been a fan of PDP, yet always thought Felix was an alright guy. But now Felix himself is scary to me. It's scary how much influence he wields and how dangerous his carelessness has turned out to be, and I don't think he's changed how he really feels, judging how he still dodges addressing the problem at large. And I'm worried about Jack retracting his statements and how he phrased those tweets about speaking with Felix. It feels very suspicious and manipulative and I want to know what Felix said to him.

It was interesting to see this thread turn from "I love his idgaf attitude & saying what he really thinks" to "his attack on PC and playing the victim is very reminiscent of Trump". I could definitely see the parallels.

Why don't more people realise the attitude "well, I'm not a racist" isn't enough? It's never been enough.
Yes, I can't help but wonder about that too. I also found it weird how a lot of youtubers who would usually be very against any sort of dark, edgy, 4chan type humour stood up for Felix.



RRR98
drama llama
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Re: PewDiePie

Post by RRR98 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:10 am

I seriously don't get how Christians can be antisemetic when Jesus was Jewish can someone explain this to me. I mean I just don't get why their is so much hate and so strongly to Judaism.

malday
trash
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: PewDiePie

Post by malday » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:22 am

Can't believe Sean even responded to the leech bottom feeder of youtube. Really the worst kind of people are are jumping on this defence squad, because they are getting attention out of it (felix liked some tweets from a couple of pretty political youtubers and red-pillers because they tweeted in his support)

I think the big youtubers covering the story first and the way they did it (media vs youtube, pewds 100% victim) really shaped the opinion on the site. (Most recently Jenna and Julien did a podcast too)

And now anyone who doesn't show 100% pro-pewds support when talking or reporting about the story is getting crazy backlash.
Image

User avatar
captainspacecoat
long-time wanker
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Re: PewDiePie

Post by captainspacecoat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:45 am

howarethelads wrote:
Yes, I can't help but wonder about that too. I also found it weird how a lot of youtubers who would usually be very against any sort of dark, edgy, 4chan type humour stood up for Felix.
This has been one of the most surprising things to me too. I mean, we have Hank Green defending pewdiepie when earlier this month he tweeted this: (as well as the rest of the tweets in this thread). Like what kind of cognitive dissonance?? And this backpedalling from jacksepticeye is truly alarming, the extent to which people will go to avoid upsetting other youtubers is wild.
RRR98 wrote:I seriously don't get how Christians can be antisemetic when Jesus was Jewish can someone explain this to me. I mean I just don't get why their is so much hate and so strongly to Judaism.

I've noticed that antisemitism just doesn't get taken as seriously by people who are otherwise quite progressive, and it baffles me. For some reason, people (including those on the left) seem to think it's okay to make jokes about Jewish people, and that somehow those jokes aren't as bad as ones about other minorities (disclaimer: I'm not at all trying to imply that slurs/bigotry/prejudice against other minorities is always called out either, it definitely isn't). I just feel that if pewdiepie had said "Death to all women" in the fiverr video, white female youtubers would be the first to call him out and most progressive youtubers would back them. There's definitely a wider problem of antisemitism often being taken less seriously than other forms of discrimination, and I think that's what we're seeing happen here (that combined with the tendency of youtubers to band together as #TeamInternet!!!1 against mainstream media, who of course couldn't possibly understand them).

papierklemmen
flower crown
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:04 am

Re: PewDiePie

Post by papierklemmen » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:53 am

jfc what exactly did jack have to apologize for? for saying he thinks things could have been handled better from both sides? that you don't have to agree with everything your friends do or say? that he thinks pewdiepie's jokes were stupid (something pewdiepie agreed with)? because none of this was "backstabbing" or in any way against felix. it seems like pewdiepie wants to make it about him vs media and i guess jack's mature attitude was too much of an inconvenience. this is some scientology level guilt tripping right there if jack changed his stance so quickly.

User avatar
flarequake
angel bean
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: London, UK

Re: PewDiePie

Post by flarequake » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 am

captainspacecoat wrote:
RRR98 wrote:I seriously don't get how Christians can be antisemetic when Jesus was Jewish can someone explain this to me. I mean I just don't get why their is so much hate and so strongly to Judaism.

I've noticed that antisemitism just doesn't get taken as seriously by people who are otherwise quite progressive, and it baffles me. For some reason, people (including those on the left) seem to think it's okay to make jokes about Jewish people, and that somehow those jokes aren't as bad as ones about other minorities (disclaimer: I'm not at all trying to imply that slurs/bigotry/prejudice against other minorities is always called out either, it definitely isn't). I just feel that if pewdiepie had said "Death to all women" in the fiverr video, white female youtubers would be the first to call him out and most progressive youtubers would back them. There's definitely a wider problem of antisemitism often being taken less seriously than other forms of discrimination, and I think that's what we're seeing happen here (that combined with the tendency of youtubers to band together as #TeamInternet!!!1 against mainstream media, who of course couldn't possibly understand them).
Whether it's because, as someone already said, Jews often being white means people don't think of us as other, or more to do with centuries of history of Jews not being welcome, or something else, I don't know if Jesus having been born Jewish makes much of a difference. I went to a history of Jews in London, I think it was, at my synagogue and the guy explained the origin of one long-standing perception of Jews all being rich and greedy (we're not, though my cabdriver dad saved well) due to traditionally being the money-lenders. The moneylending began because, if I remember this right, Christians weren't allowed to do it for religious moral reasons. There are a lot of Jewish men high up in places like Hollywood, some oik (I don't mean to be oik-ist but he really was) I met at a club once kept asking me "how do I get in with the Jews, they're running everything" so there's that too. That's the only time I've encountered anything weird about Jewishness, I don't look particularly Jewish, was once asked if I was Irish cos my hazel eyes are half green. I don't think the Israel situation helps any either, though I don't think the Israeli side helps themselves there sometimes (mainstream media doesn't show that fairly, though). The rise of it lately is incredible, it's like now WW2 was long enough ago that everyone there is old, anything goes, but then racism, homophobia and sexism to everyone else has only just started being challenged anyway.
papierklemmen wrote:jfc what exactly did jack have to apologize for? for saying he thinks things could have been handled better from both sides? that you don't have to agree with everything your friends do or say? that he thinks pewdiepie's jokes were stupid (something pewdiepie agreed with)? because none of this was "backstabbing" or in any way against felix. it seems like pewdiepie wants to make it about him vs media and i guess jack's mature attitude was too much of an inconvenience. this is some scientology level guilt tripping right there if jack changed his stance so quickly.
I thought Jack's video was great especially because he didn't go on about the media. Keemstar tweeted Jack saying he was disappointed in him for that video, I thought that was awful of him, but Jack seems to respect him and others. There was a good point about how many are bending to defend Felix as if he has massive control. I wonder if he said anything to Jack that was manipulative or if being friends makes it hard to step back and be that critical.

CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:14 am
Pronouns: Phan Trash
Location: Somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle

Re: PewDiePie

Post by CallMeAyana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Ohmygods. People are just sucking up to him, aren't they? This actually makes me worried for humanity because how can people support this kind of person? The amount of influence he has makes everyone backtrack their actions, and it's scary. It's not even about Pewdiepie anymore, it's about Felix. It doesn't matter how much he says those kind of slurs because everytime he apologizes, everyone else will just suck up to him because he already "apologized", and they will ignore the fact that he's, in fact, using those slurs again. He's got everyone wrapped around his finger, and even though some YTers highly disagree with him, they won't say anything because they're... how do you say it... scared? Scared of the bro army, and they probably won't like the attention.
If Felix really is that decent of a person, he would stop using those slurs, and would apologize, truly apologize for all the things that he has said, and after that, will stop using slurs. He can still make jokes without offending anyone, can't he? And yet, he can't. Oh, wow. He can't change because of his branding? How about he should just think of the people he has offended for once and all the influence he has? He's just adding fuel to the fire that is already burning our world.
...Sorry for the rant.
Image

mio
#relatable
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:48 am

Re: PewDiePie

Post by mio » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:58 pm

I saw Jack's video and was so glad somebody finally made a serious and thought out response to this whole mess, and that it was even one of Felix's friends. JSE always came across as the nicest and most respectable guys amongst all the big gamers to me, and this only confirmed my opinion.

And then to see him backtrack on his words only a day later and dismiss his completely valid points?? This is so sad and honestly disturbing.
I still don't really understand what part of the video he's "regretting" now, he didn't even attack Felix, he just said that his jokes were distasteful (the only thing everybody agrees about) and that companies were right in cutting business ties from a tactical point of view?

Are we at this point now where even the slightest criticism of Felix won't be accepted anymore?

I mean he is kind of dependent on Felix, being on Revelmode and all, and if this is due to pressure than it's really shady.

On the other hand Markiplier's video is such wishy-washy nonsense. You could take the first part about "respect" and make it into an argument against PDP with no problems.
How is the worst part of this situation that a rich guy had a poorly researched article written about him? That's the saddest thing about this whole mess? Boohoo.

And a few arguments I keep seeing again and again:
"But he did so much for charity." - Yeah, but that doesn't exclude you from the responsibility of being a decent human being, like everybody else. Also a lot of shitty people use charity work to make themselves look better, or hell, even just to save tax. Unrelated but actual neo-nazis do this too as a political strategy. Which brings me to..
"But he isn't really a nazi" Yeah, I'm pretty sure he isn't but that's so besides the point. If you use slurs, fascist imagery and insulting stereotypes all the time without any kind of twist, you are working on promoting and normalizing all these things. You don't need to be a nazi to do this, but you are an ignorant asshole and will have to suffer the consequences.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~

User avatar
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Posts: 550
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:52 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Germany

Re: PewDiePie

Post by nephilimcat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Omg, I didn't expect this :? If you can't let someone express their opinion and have enough power over them to make them retract their statement, something is very, very wrong. Is Felix manipulative? Or does he blackmail people? I can't think of another reason why JSE would retreat his statement like that! I wonder if he always did stuff like this and nobody noticed. I don't want to accuse him of anything, but it makes me wonder. I really hope someone does something to kick him off his throne of power. I'm one of those people who find the whole situation quite scary
pulvis et umbra sumus

User avatar
Catallena
angel bean
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: PewDiePie

Post by Catallena » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:02 pm

I'm just so tired. I hope Felix's downfall will soon begin but even this scandal couldn't end him so really what can? Especially when apparently the entire YouTube community is drinking the Kool Aid and is now even agreeing with that actual waste of precious oxygen and space Keemstar. Felix and his power honestly scare the shit out of me at this point. I can only hope (against better judgment really) that he really is sorry to such a degree that he educates himself and stops with his shitty attempts at comedy.. but even then he'll always be scum to me and idc if that's petty or whatever. He has no reason to change. He got extra exposure, subs and views out of this and faces no criticism from his peers (and if he does he shuts them up apparently). I have no faith in him and he isn't getting ~another chance~ from me.

And the YouTubers riding his dick so hard are forever tainted in my eyes so I hope Dan won't say anything stupid about his 'problematic dad' in his liveshow tomorrow.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr

helvetica
butt chair
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Re: PewDiePie

Post by helvetica » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Even Jenna and Julien, who I considered pretty respectable and open minded people, are "100 percent for Felix". Makes me sad how much youtubers are so against mainstream media they won't call out someone they should in their own territory. PJ better not say anything stupid. So far he hasn't, and his content isn't built for this kind of video. *fingers crossed**

the whole thing about "picking sides" is so stupid. You can be against problematic media coverage but also call someone out for being an asshole???
was confetti-j

howarethelads
smol bean
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:13 am

Re: PewDiePie

Post by howarethelads » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Keemstar is such a creep, his pathetic, patronising tweets to Jacksepticeye after Jack's video went public were just...ew. As if he gives a crap about justice and transparency online. jfc.

I've found that I've really changed my opinion on this whole debacle over the last couple of days as a few things have come to light. Initially I sympathised with Felix - I'm not gonna lie, I have a soft spot for him and I thought his video was quite honest and genuine. But the more I think about it, the weirder it gets - I mean, I'm not excusing the media at all here, but don't all celebrities have badly-written articles published about them? I just find it odd and offputting that Felix has turned this into an "us against the evil media" thing and has conveniently pushed his own wrongdoings under the rug at the same time.

I'm really disappointed that JSE went back on what he said in his video. I really didn't feel that he backstabbed Felix in it, and over on the other website, a couple people were berating him for not criticising Felix further. I thought Jack looked at the situation honestly, from the point of view of someone who knows Felix irl, and told us his thoughts on the matter - at no point did he hang Felix out to dry or blow things out of proportion. You have to wonder what made Jack do such a 180 on the whole situation overnight...tbh, it makes me suspicious of Felix. Why did Jack have to ring him and "apologise" for what he said - what did he say that was so insulting to him in that video? I watched it a couple of times and I think what he said was fair and well thought out.

malday
trash
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: PewDiePie

Post by malday » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:53 pm

wow, he's sending his followers to this type of video.

yep, he's just turned political as far as i'm concerned.

if you were wondering who that quack is: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Stefan_Molyneux
Image

malday
trash
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: PewDiePie

Post by malday » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:28 pm

ah, he just deleted that tweet and others. but the video is still in his favorites.

hope the BB code still retains the text of the tweet
.
Image

User avatar
Catallena
angel bean
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: PewDiePie

Post by Catallena » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:47 am

Missed the tweets but that Molyneux bloke definitely doesn't sound like an asshole at all going by that Rational Wiki page. /sarcasm
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr

random
dank meme
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:30 am

Re: PewDiePie

Post by random » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:35 am

Has anyone seen Ken's video on the issue?


He also tweeted Jack. I found it quite interesting, and honestly surprising. I didn't expect Ken's response to be like this. I didn't think he would call out the echo-chamber of YouTube. Of course, he didn't get the backlash Jack did.

User avatar
captainspacecoat
long-time wanker
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Re: PewDiePie

Post by captainspacecoat » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:55 am

random wrote:Has anyone seen Ken's video on the issue?


He also tweeted Jack. I found it quite interesting, and honestly surprising. I didn't expect Ken's response to be like this. I didn't think he would call out the echo-chamber of YouTube. Of course, he didn't get the backlash Jack did.
Interesting. Admittedly, I've never heard of Ken but props to him for being one of the few youtubers (in fact, the only youtuber, although I'm sure there are more) I've seen to acknowledge that the jokes Felix made were antisemitic and not okay, regardless of context. I thought that was such an important thing for him to say, and I'm really glad he did. What I took from that video was that he thinks pewdiepie was not justified in making antisemitic jokes, that society doesn't take anti-semitism seriously enough, that Jewish people deserve an apology, but also that mainstream media did cash in somewhat on the whole issue and make everything more dramatic than it needed to be. He did a good job of staying fairly neutral, but jeez, judging by the comments on that video you'd think he'd all out attacked Felix.

malday
trash
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: PewDiePie

Post by malday » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Ken is one of Felix's original youtube "friends", they used have a podcast together, and played games frequently.

I'm glad he tweeted that to Jacksepticeye because all the drama channels were painting him as a backstabber.
Image

random
dank meme
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:30 am

Re: PewDiePie

Post by random » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:00 pm

Another youtuber made a response video, or rather an interesting theory about how to deliver offcolor jokes in relation to the pewdiepie incident.


mio
#relatable
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:48 am

Re: PewDiePie

Post by mio » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:31 pm

random wrote:Another youtuber made a response video, or rather an interesting theory about how to deliver offcolor jokes in relation to the pewdiepie incident.

Just came here to post that video. I'm so glad somebody finally did an intelligent roundup of the situation and why it turned out the way it did - not because "everybody is out to get PDP" but because what he did was poorly thought out and executed. I mean, hey, most of the points of the video have been mentioned on this forum but it's nice to see a mainstream channel break it down like this instead of all the emotional, partial and incoherent responses weve got from other youtubers so far.

I think the point that comedy isn't supposed to be punshing down is most important. It's helpful to remind yourself of that when discussing what is or isn't ok in comedy and shows in what way context and who says something actually matter.

I've had my problems with MatPat trying to go political in the past *cough*startrekvideo*cough* but this one was really well done!
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~

User avatar
Catallena
angel bean
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: PewDiePie

Post by Catallena » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Felix tried to send his minions after J.K. Rowling because she called him out a while ago and she isn't having any of it. Bless her.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr

User avatar
bee
hobbit hair
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 2:39 pm

Re: PewDiePie

Post by bee » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:21 pm

random wrote:Another youtuber made a response video, or rather an interesting theory about how to deliver offcolor jokes in relation to the pewdiepie incident.

the responses to this excellent video are very telling of this whole mess. (Can't recommend reading the Youtube comments *shudders* when will I ever learn not to read those)
avatar by januariat

malday
trash
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: PewDiePie

Post by malday » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:14 pm

Catallena wrote:Felix tried to send his minions after J.K. Rowling because she called him out a while ago and she isn't having any of it. Bless her.
OMG what is this escalating into? btw, for those who don't know JK's tweets are a response to this:
@1:25 about JK Rowling
eta: JFC the replies to her tweets.....
Image

mio
#relatable
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:48 am

Re: PewDiePie

Post by mio » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:42 pm

lol I love how he begs people to turn off adblockers because his stats have been going down...
so satisfactory to watch :D

10:08
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~

malday
trash
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: PewDiePie

Post by malday » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:59 pm

he called jk rowling a cunt. guess since his video views seem to be dropping he wants to make the news again.
Image

Post Reply