Small youtuber recs?

twix
butt chair

Here's four channels I like:
-Cernettes(718)-- the YouTube channel of Les Horribles Cernettes. they're a parody-pop group comprised of CERN employees. also trivia famous for being the subjects of the first photo posted to the web.
most of the videos are live performances, but there's also this:
-Musical Hell (7.4K)-- a woman who does humorous reviews of terrible movie musicals + other musical theatre stuff.
here's her review of one of my favorite movies of all time:
-LaEsponesa (63K)-- "una chica japonesa que está enamorada del idioma español!!!"
-Unnatural Vegan(114K)-- a woman who talks about health myths and other pseudoscience within the vegan movement. I don't always agree with her & sometimes she does get things wrong, but I especially appreciate her critiques of and personal approach towards vegan activism.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I want to revive this just so people give me more recs.
parallel
phabergé

If you like gaming channels, GeekRemix is one of the few I still watch. It's run by two queer ladies: Mari and Stacy. They play a lot of games but what I like about it is the depth that they go to when discussing things, and also obviously when they play games like Life Is Strange, it's so refreshing to watch a Let's Play that isn't heteronormative. They also somehow managed to preemtively predict just about everything that happened in the game, including one of the really big plot twists? They're either geniuses (genii? lol) or secretly work for DontNod. Also, they're working really hard to try and get answers from YouTube about demonetising LGBTQ+ content.

Generally, they're awesome people, they're funny, they've got good chemistry, and they're also really smart and deserve way more subscribers. Go check them out!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

This is probably one of the more specific channel recommendations, but I really enjoy watching steve's Game of Thrones summaries. He has never seen the show and started watching half way through season 7 without any prior knowledge and is now watching random episodes, completely out of order. Nevertheless, his analysis is often pretty spot on and definitely entertaining - the first video was posted on reddit and got like 400,000 views. So if you're still craving some GoT content, this is definitely a fun channel to watch once a week!
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

not exactly small, but i don't see many people talk about them:

tom scott does fairly short videos about interesting things, usually science and technology related. there's a series on his channel with some friends called "citation needed" where they play a hilarious game involving wikipedia.

he's also on matt and tom with his friend matt, where they do rambly videos just generally chatting about a topic.

both channels seem to get serious discussions down in the comments, and the videos are interesting enough to hold attention but chill enough to be background noise, which is a great balance.
scientia
phabergé

Do any of y'all watch any ace youtubers? I'm looking for suggestions, and I particularly like more mature / not super-young youtubers
arequian
crusty sponge

scientia wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:28 am Do any of y'all watch any ace youtubers? I'm looking for suggestions, and I particularly like more mature / not super-young youtubers
QueerAsCat is amazing, if you don't already watch it you should check it out. It's one of my favourites queer channels.
emerald wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 am If you like gaming channels, GeekRemix is one of the few I still watch. It's run by two queer ladies: Mari and Stacy. They play a lot of games but what I like about it is the depth that they go to when discussing things, and also obviously when they play games like Life Is Strange, it's so refreshing to watch a Let's Play that isn't heteronormative. They also somehow managed to preemtively predict just about everything that happened in the game, including one of the really big plot twists? They're either geniuses (genii? lol) or secretly work for DontNod. Also, they're working really hard to try and get answers from YouTube about demonetising LGBTQ+ content.

Generally, they're awesome people, they're funny, they've got good chemistry, and they're also really smart and deserve way more subscribers. Go check them out!
Thank you so much for this recommendation! I've been binge-watching their videos for days, they're really cool. Also, I still haven't finished watching Life is Strange but I'm in love with their attention to detail and how accurate their theories are. A+ recommendation! :thx:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

this thread is sickkkk.

also i have a few recs!

cat (14k)-a 15 year old photographer who is honestly to freaking talented, lovely and aesthetically pleasing omggg

KhanStopMe (10k)-Taha Khan is a young filmmaker who uses his platform to make outrageously wonderful videos, most often with political themes. He recently premiered a short film at Buffer Fest in Toronto called "Dave Is A Racist" and oh mann

Claire Young (3k)-honestly just a cutie with blue hair who does really lovely song covers

nevejenny (4k)-another wonderful musician who is just so calming and lovely to watch

makeupbyjaack (61k)-Jack is a bigger yt, but he doesn't get the attention he deserves! he started out as a drag makeup artist, and now he does all kinds of absolutely beautiful makeup looks. He's really funny (at least to me), and I admire how real he is, as well as the fact that he was completely self-taught in makeup

i could go on and on, but that's my list for now!
anenergetic
spork
Pronouns: he/him

VengefulBlue wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:24 am not exactly small, but i don't see many people talk about them:

tom scott does fairly short videos about interesting things, usually science and technology related. there's a series on his channel with some friends called "citation needed" where they play a hilarious game involving wikipedia.

he's also on matt and tom with his friend matt, where they do rambly videos just generally chatting about a topic.

both channels seem to get serious discussions down in the comments, and the videos are interesting enough to hold attention but chill enough to be background noise, which is a great balance.
Finally, I found another idb person who likes Matt and Tom (and obvs. Tom Scott)!!!
gay :prideflag:
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

anenergetic wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:08 am
VengefulBlue wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:24 am not exactly small, but i don't see many people talk about them:

Finally, I found another idb person who likes Matt and Tom (and obvs. Tom Scott)!!!
yeah! it's a bit interesting to me how tom doesn't seem so popular/well known even though he's been on youtube even longer than phil, just because he wasn't ever part of that crowd in the early days. they even went to york during the same time and both studied linguistics, which is kind of funny to me.

(also the latest park bench was great, where they were talking about tv shows)
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Just dropping in to say I'm also subscribed to tom scott! I do follow a lot of scicomm channels though, which might help? IDK. I'd recommend some of them but the ones I follow aren't exactly small :lol:

I do however follow a lot of smaller booktube channels, so I'll link some here for those of you who like reading and are always looking for new books to read (I have more channels if anyone's interested). I have no idea what has or hasn't been recommended yet so sorry if some of these have already been linked!

Jen Campbell (35K): does a lot of literature and poetry videos. Also writes books and poetry and does online writing workshops.

Jean Bookishthoughts (49K): Jean reads almost anything, honestly. There's literary fiction, YA, fantasy, feminism, politics, you name it. She's doing her PhD in Ancient Greek..something (I forgot), and is very focused on politics & feminism in general.

Chareads(4K): her reviews of books are usually from a whole list of different perspectives, from feminism to modern standards to writing style, whatever she happened to notice or has an opinion about (which is a lot). Tends to be a bit more literary fiction & philosophy oriented but she does mix it up a lot with other books.

Holly Dunn (6K): she's a graphic designer, so there's a lot of talk about design, especially beautiful books.

lucythereader (14K): big, biiiig fan of Victorian classics, especially the Bronte sisters. She mixes it up with YA though, so it's not just all classics.

Reads and Daydreams (18K): again, a lot of literary fiction. She's also a big Shakespeare & ballet fan, and is doing a series on Shakespeare where she takes one book/play at a time and goes through it, explaining the plot & motives.

WoolfsWhistle (3.5K): Russian booktuber (videos are in English) who focuses a lot on LGBTQ content, so a lot of videos with queer book recommendations. Also reads a lot of fantasy.
anenergetic
spork

VengefulBlue wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:12 am

yeah! it's a bit interesting to me how tom doesn't seem so popular/well known even though he's been on youtube even longer than phil, just because he wasn't ever part of that crowd in the early days. they even went to york during the same time and both studied linguistics, which is kind of funny to me.

really hope they crossed paths at some point! who knows.

i loved the latest park bench, and also all of their park bench videos as a whole. love the vibe and humour.
Ribona
crusty sponge

NegativeFeedback (135k): If anyone here is interested in film photography this channel is all about that, plus their videos are very aesthetically pleasing :lol: Let's Play Games (120k): Rose and Rosie's gaming channel! I seriously don't understand why they don't have more subscribers! They are hilarious and possibly the most adorable YouTube power couple there is :prideheart: Crunchy ASMR (70k): Just a lovely ASMRist from Australia who does Mukbangs and has the most soothing voice :love2:
anenergetic
spork

citizen_erased wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:37 am Just dropping in to say I'm also subscribed to tom scott! I do follow a lot of scicomm channels though, which might help? IDK. I'd recommend some of them but the ones I follow aren't exactly small :lol:

I do however follow a lot of smaller booktube channels, so I'll link some here for those of you who like reading and are always looking for new books to read (I have more channels if anyone's interested). I have no idea what has or hasn't been recommended yet so sorry if some of these have already been linked!

Jen Campbell (35K): does a lot of literature and poetry videos. Also writes books and poetry and does online writing workshops.

Jean Bookishthoughts (49K): Jean reads almost anything, honestly. There's literary fiction, YA, fantasy, feminism, politics, you name it. She's doing her PhD in Ancient Greek..something (I forgot), and is very focused on politics & feminism in general.

Chareads(4K): her reviews of books are usually from a whole list of different perspectives, from feminism to modern standards to writing style, whatever she happened to notice or has an opinion about (which is a lot). Tends to be a bit more literary fiction & philosophy oriented but she does mix it up a lot with other books.

Holly Dunn (6K): she's a graphic designer, so there's a lot of talk about design, especially beautiful books.

lucythereader (14K): big, biiiig fan of Victorian classics, especially the Bronte sisters. She mixes it up with YA though, so it's not just all classics.

Reads and Daydreams (18K): again, a lot of literary fiction. She's also a big Shakespeare & ballet fan, and is doing a series on Shakespeare where she takes one book/play at a time and goes through it, explaining the plot & motives.

WoolfsWhistle (3.5K): Russian booktuber (videos are in English) who focuses a lot on LGBTQ content, so a lot of videos with queer book recommendations. Also reads a lot of fantasy.
I love the YouTube scicomm community! My fave rn is antron petrov, https://www.youtube.com/user/whatdamath he's got 108k so I guess he's still a small channel.
anenergetic
spork

Hi, I have some recs!

JaimeWareham : they are a non-binary ytber who dabbles in a bunch of different things. They do a lot of covers, vloggy things, and short film esque things? (232 subs)

EmFletch: A British college student, found through Jaime tweeting about the channel. Similar to above, more short films! (225 subs)
Last edited by alittledizzy on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link embeds
anenergetic
spork

anenergetic wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:59 am I love hannah hoffman, evan edinger and alexander stewart, and they are all fairly small youtubers
not as into evan and alexander anymore. no hard feelings, just not my thing
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

VengefulBlue wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:12 am

I also recommend these two channels. Tom also sometimes has guest videos when he needs a break so you can also pick up about 4-8 new creators depending on what you like. He also went on a Project to the Arctic with Astronaut Chris Hadfield. There were lots of interesting people involved who are listed on this website Generator Arctic

It it fascinating how Phil and Tom careers evolved so differently. I had no idea they were there at the same time. I wonder if Phil was there during the reign of Mad Cap'n Tom? It seems to me that Tom partnered with traditional media very early on rather than doing sponsorship's. Maybe it was that Tom was never a vlogger as well.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

scientia wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:28 am Do any of y'all watch any ace youtubers? I'm looking for suggestions, and I particularly like more mature / not super-young youtubers
I really like Ahsante the Artist (14k), who makes videos about feminism and being a young adult. She also recently made a video recommending other ace spectrum YouTubers. I haven't yet checked out any of them, but maybe you'll find new people to watch through the video.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Canen (1.9k) is an incredible singer that definitely should have more subs than she has.
She's super talented, plus she's only fourteen or fifteen and already is a way better singer than many adults.

She doesn't post that often but here's a more recent thing she did
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Alright, I have only been watching her videos for like a week, but I'm already in love. I haven't come across anything problematic, but I haven't been looking at all, just enjoying, but putting a big asterisk just in case it turns out something bad.

Jessica Kellgren-Fozard is a disabled lesbian from the UK. She's married and adorable and her clothes are so cute. She's very open and honest about her diabliities, how they affect her marriage, her life in general, but she isn't just a disabled channel. She also reviews vintage/vintage recreation clothes, food recipes, DITL style vlogs. ~ 150k subs
charlottekath
squish

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:41 pm Alright, I have only been watching her videos for like a week, but I'm already in love. I haven't come across anything problematic, but I haven't been looking at all, just enjoying, but putting a big asterisk just in case it turns out something bad.

Jessica Kellgren-Fozard is a disabled lesbian from the UK. She's married and adorable and her clothes are so cute. She's very open and honest about her diabliities, how they affect her marriage, her life in general, but she isn't just a disabled channel. She also reviews vintage/vintage recreation clothes, food recipes, DITL style vlogs. ~ 150k subs
Thank you for the rec, I've just spent the last few days marathoning all of her videos with my partner. Jessica is amazing. She is so eloquent, her answers surrounding her disabilities are so well thought out and she has a great sense of humour. Can I just have access to her wardrobe too, her style is amazing! I am really excited to watch her vlogmas over the next few weeks.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I recently found Foil Arms and Hog which is a Irish comedy trio. They’re most recent video is here

I haven’t watched all of their stuff yet but so far nothing has raised any alarm bells.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
000dia000
emo goose

lilabet wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:25 pm I recently found Foil Arms and Hog which is a Irish comedy trio. They’re most recent video is here

I haven’t watched all of their stuff yet but so far nothing has raised any alarm bells.
haha, it's weird to see them get a mention here! I love these guys, I actually saw them live earlier this year. They've great energy and seem like nice, genuinely funny people. They don't rely on offensive comedy and only maybe some dry, dark humour. I love that they've really grown as a channel in the last year, I hope they become more successful, because they put out quality content each week.
:cactus:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I found Connor Manning - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOtKcm ... CPb0QEaLYA a while ago and just caught up with them again last night. Interesting to hear their self-reflections while doing their makeup (was reminded of Dan about 11 mins in).

mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i don't vary my watching habits often so i've never felt like i could contribute to this thread (btw everyone has great taste. all the recs are so high quality and thoughtful).

+1 to Ask A Mortician and DK1Games/Joseph Birdsong channels that have already been mentioned. Joe is ollllld school (think Phil fellow dinosaur) and watching his journey has been so interesting.

Ask A Mortician I feel like Caitlin's death positive community and activism is really important for a lot of people to watch, it will totally change how you feel about your life. not an overstatement. (and death, and grief, and the environment, etc). plus it's just easy watching, she's hilarious. her historical death videos are my favey fav. i always wanted to know what happened to the bodies that were on the Titanic!

Michael Henry
30 second to 5 minute sketches from a gay comedian. cutting social commentary and satire of the gay community (mostly) that is also affectionate and reaffirming.

Brian Jordan Alvarez
similar vein of humour as the above, but many different characters outside of his queer ones. so dry you could light a match on it. might be one of the funniest channels i've ever seen on youtube, and i've been watching a long time.

Cayleigh Elise (Dark Matters/Nameless) ...the opposite of fun and funny, but absolutely addictive if you have an analytical mind for mysteries. i don't watch all of her stuff, mostly her true crime (Dark Matters and Nameless). she focuses on cases that didn't receive much attention in the media or went cold. thoroughly researched, presented, and she has a very engaged community of commenters. the mother of one of the missing children she presented a case on left a comment thanking her for it, if that's any indication of quality. Big warning for actual post-mortem photos and details, however she uses her discretion and gives warnings in the videos so you can skip forward. the tone is very calm and respectful, antithesis of 'list' and shock channels in the true crime genre which i haaate.

Psychetruth ASMR/Corrina
no exaggeration, the only asmr i can stand watching. a mix of no-whispering and whispering, and well tagged for triggers. Corrina has a sense of humour (not sure about the newest woman, haven't watched) whilst also putting a lot of effort into her volume levels and spikes, finding new textures to experiment with and interacting with her audience in the comments for feedback. the channel is geared towards anxiety disorders and insomnia but you'd never know it, unless you read these interactions. tbh this recommendation is mostly my public service announcement because i wish i'd gotten into asmr sooner. if you experience either of these things, but have been put off by excessive talking, or just the general daftness of most asmr on youtube (like i was, for years!) i recommend giving it one more go with this lady. she's been vocal over pornography and lower quality channels creeping into the space, which i appreciate. it's helped enormously when nothing else is working, and i just need total sensory distraction. even if you don't suffer from anything, it's a nice state to put your head in sometimes. like chocolate but for your other ears (and eyes, if you want).

Train cam
umm....a livecam channel from the dashboard of a cross-country train. sometimes it's soothing scenic, sometimes it makes me feel sickening unexplainable dread?! livecam channel are fkn weird, man. there is one for EVERYTHING. there is one in space, atm, and you can see their hands changing shit while orbiting on the satellite station. i should've linked that one. that's another conversation for another thread, though...

I feel slightly exposed like I've just allowed a peek into my mind... and it's all dark. i promise i do watch kittens sometimes, lol. (this is a great not-for-profit kitten rescue organisation out of british columbia that livestreams multiple litter rooms: Tiny Kitten HQ
art in avatar by lily