Dodie

thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

onetruetrash wrote:What do y'all think of her new EP?
I it, 'In the Middle' is a bop
Interested in seeing now her career takes off from here
onetruetrash
blobfish

thephandommenace wrote:
I it, 'In the Middle' is a bop
Interested in seeing now her career takes off from here
Same, I loved the original Secret for the Mad so much that I didn't think it could get any better, but Dodie somehow managed to do it
twix
butt chair

It's entirely too twee-sounding for my taste and I straight up do not understand some of the production decisions, but trying to put my personal biases aside it's a very solid effort. If i were in charge of directing a laundry detergent commercial I'd be reaching out to her about licencing.

Dodie's songs have been all over my corners of reddit lately and has had some good placement on Spotify this week too, which is great to see.
sentinel
lady door

It's very... struggle music. Super underproduced too. I feel like she has no high register, but has also cornered herself into sounding like a 2004 Disney star with that cutesy voice she does, so it ends up sounding bad. Songs like "In the middle", where she uses her more natural voice are definitely the better ones. "Secret for the mad" is insanely bad, because she is trying to hit notes she can't and going in a different key entirely to compensate. I'm pretty sure it's self produced, because it literally sounds like she recorded it in one take by herself - and that would have been fine, if she didn't try to market herself as a "real" (professional) musician. She needs to hire a producer who will steer her clear from that kid's bop sound.
itsonlybeth
sofa crease

I personally, am in love. I never have gravitated to her 'sound' of music in my life before, but I really do adore it. Could not wait to hear the new WYBSK and was definitely not disappointed. she is just a very good lyricist and she's learnt to write very catchy melodies recently, so I'm sure this is just the beginning for her. Can't wait to see what she'll be working on album-wise...
~ fight me you ceramic bitch ~
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

As a person who never got into Dodie and frankly doesn't know why she's so popular (sorry), I took a chance and listened some of her songs, including her new EP. Her voice is SO SOFT in videos that I didn't listen to many, though. There was a cover of "I'm Yours" on her vlogging channel that I thought was pretty bad, but some of the others were okay. I did go back and listen to her first ever song, though ... what a voice! Why can't she sing like that in all her songs, instead of twee and faint and whispery? Maybe it's just not my cup of tea. I also can't stand the way she screws up her face when she sings, but that's a nitpick.

In regards to the new EP, though ... I listened to all five songs on YouTube. I liked one song (In the Middle) very much, thought two were not bad (6/10 and WYBSK) and disliked two (Secrets for the Mad and You).

"In the Middle" was much better than I thought it would be. The style is pretty cute and the lyrics are great, though I want to say "overly intimate" rather than "overly passionate". But it is very catchy and I keep finding myself humming it. Judging by the viewcounts on YT, this song is the fan favourite from this EP.

"Would You Be So Kind" was sweet, though not as good as "In the Middle". Nice chorus and cutesy feel overall. I did like it.

"6/10" was a bit forgettable, if I'm being honest. I'm not fond of the whole soft-spoken barely-there-instruments style, though I know that's Dodie's whole shtick so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. But, I wish it sounded more like singing instead of quiet talking over soft backing. The message of the song was pretty real and honest, though.

"Secrets for the Mad" ... okay, I really didn't like Dodie's voice in this one. She was reaching for the high notes so much and it did not sound good at all, just kind of squeaky and breathless. Unfortunately that was distracting enough to ruin an otherwise decent song for me.

"You" sounded like elevator music and generic Hawaiian style mixed together, and the result was weird enough that I don't remember any of the lyrics.

I just had a look at the tracklisting, and realised that I might have enjoyed the EP more as a whole if I'd listened to it in order. Having the two best songs on either end and the worst (imo ofc) in the middle (lol) was the best order she could have chosen. I do think she could have done with a second upbeat one that didn't sound as out of place as "You".
I've listened to wizard rock for a number of years now, and imo while Dodie's does sound a bit like the early, folk, DIY days of wrock, there are so many bands and styles even within the genre that it's a bit dismissive to compare her to the entire genre. For example, Oliver Boyd and the Remembralls sounded professional af, The Butterbeer Experience had a sort of Broadway style, The Moaning Myrtles did piano comedy and there are a couple (MC Kreacher, Danny Dementor and Swish & Flick) who ventured into rap and hip-hop. I agree that a lot of wizard rock is just a person with a guitar, though.
onetruetrash
blobfish

Susannah wrote:I did go back and listen to her first ever song, though ... what a voice! Why can't she sing like that in all her songs, instead of twee and faint and whispery?
Apparently she used to do a lot of singing in plays and stuff, but when she stopped, she lost her chest voice.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

I've... really gone off Dodie recently. I think since the "am I oversharing too much?" video I realised I'd been making excuses for her to protect this image of a strong female YouTuber in my head when actually what she did was so incredibly thoughtless and consequently damaging, and her romanticization of mental illness and seeing ultra-skinniness as beauty goals are worrying. She's not as unproblematic as I thought she was and seems to say/do whatever she's thinking without thinking of the effect it might have on the young girls who look up to her. The twee excitable persona has also worn off for me and now comes across as really fake. Now I'm seeing her in this different light it's difficult to go back. I unfollowed her on Twitter and Instagram and I clicked out of her video about high school popularity and YouTube popularity because I found myself irritated and rolling my eyes (not sure what the point of her filming in the shower was either, that was kind of a cringe 'artsy' attempt and I couldn't even hear her over the water). I still enjoy her music for the most part and I appreciated this latest video where she spoke to Kati who clearly knows more about what she's talking about re mental health. I think Dodie's a good person. I'm just... not as enamoured as I was. I still want her to be successful, but not at the expense of her/her audience's mental health.
onetruetrash
blobfish

My biggest problem with Dodie is that she gives advice on mental health, but she seems like the last person I would want anyone going to for mental health advice. But of course, her young teenage fans won't know any better.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

Well, I’ve listened to most of it and have changed my opinion on her a bit. I listened to a Tessa Violet (MeekaKitty) music mix thing on YouTube and there was only so long I could keep skipping Dodie. I’ve grown to like her and her music. I like her producted album significantly more than the other stuff I had heard from her.

I won’t buy her album, I’ll stream it on google play.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

I was really taken aback when she called Millie Bobby Brown "grating" and her behaviour "attention-seeking" in her latest vlog. She tried to justify her comments by saying this feeling was irrational as she knows she's just jealous but I still thought it was really uncalled for. She's just a kid! Not to mention Dodie just mentioned this casually to her audience of over a million subscribers. The whole vibe of the video left a bad taste in my mouth and seemed rather detached from reality. Some things are either better left unsaid or shared with a friend/therapist, rather than to the whole internet. A lot of people are calling her out in the comments.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

It looks like she deleted the video and... kind of apologized? In that 'I'm acknowledging what I did was an unpopular decision but also I am standing behind my point' kind of way. But you know what, since Hazel and the rest of that group is the litmus test I judge her against, she took the high ground by at least acknowledging it.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:50 pm It looks like she deleted the video and... kind of apologized? In that 'I'm acknowledging what I did was an unpopular decision but also I am standing behind my point' kind of way. But you know what, since Hazel and the rest of that group is the litmus test I judge her against, she took the high ground by at least acknowledging it.
Looks like she reuploaded the video with an apology edited in. I'm actually pretty pleasantly surprised. To quote someone on GG, not a lot of YouTubers would do that (including Deppy). The bar has been set so painfully low though :roll:
anenergetic
spork
Pronouns: he/him

thephandommenace wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:50 pm It looks like she deleted the video and... kind of apologized? In that 'I'm acknowledging what I did was an unpopular decision but also I am standing behind my point' kind of way. But you know what, since Hazel and the rest of that group is the litmus test I judge her against, she took the high ground by at least acknowledging it.
Looks like she reuploaded the video with an apology edited in. I'm actually pretty pleasantly surprised. To quote someone on GG, not a lot of YouTubers would do that (including Deppy). The bar has been set so painfully low though :roll:
Think she's doing her best. Don't agree with what she said but what's done is done. Glad she added the apology.

Sad the YouTube bar is so low (*cough* Marcus Butler *cough*)
gay :prideflag:
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

her new song is... something. good, firstly, but also honest in a way that i haven't seen from her. i'm not sure exactly what to say about it.
i said in the main thread a bit ago that i think she's just now figuring out boundaries with her audience, and that sadly, being the fragile sad girl is part of her brand, just as much as the sunny yellow fairy bit. she was really young at the start, and from this song it sounds like she's tired of playing her part, so to speak. also that maybe youtube is not a forever thing, but i could be parsing the final bit weirdly.

on a purely lyrical note, this is so much stronger than older songs, even some from the ep. i'm having a hard time figuring exactly what's different, writing wise, but it feels more vague? in a good way, like "oh good, dodie realized we can interpret and don't need her to spoon feed us meaning"
anenergetic
spork
Pronouns: he/him

VengefulBlue wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:05 pm her new song is... something. good, firstly, but also honest in a way that i haven't seen from her. i'm not sure exactly what to say about it.
i said in the main thread a bit ago that i think she's just now figuring out boundaries with her audience, and that sadly, being the fragile sad girl is part of her brand, just as much as the sunny yellow fairy bit. she was really young at the start, and from this song it sounds like she's tired of playing her part, so to speak. also that maybe youtube is not a forever thing, but i could be parsing the final bit weirdly.

on a purely lyrical note, this is so much stronger than older songs, even some from the ep. i'm having a hard time figuring exactly what's different, writing wise, but it feels more vague? in a good way, like "oh good, dodie realized we can interpret and don't need her to spoon feed us meaning"
All of this. I also what she did with the musical contrasts. I am a bit confused by the end.
gay :prideflag:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

What's the drama people mad about Dodie spreading the misconception that going off meds makes people more creative? I'm only seeing it secondhand, I am not tapped into too much Dodie stuff and I can't find the source of where she said it.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:57 pm What's the drama people mad about Dodie spreading the misconception that going off meds makes people more creative? I'm only seeing it secondhand, I am not tapped into too much Dodie stuff and I can't find the source of where she said it.
I lurked around her GG thread I think it comes from this interview, specifically this bit:
She’s tried a number of treatments, but nothing has had any impact yet, and she is wary of anti-depressants. “All those chemicals to stop me feeling things – not great if you’re a writer. So I look for ways to really take in and process even the most unhappy experiences. I want to feel the bad stuff, even when it really hurts, because it proves to me I’m still here.”
omg she really forces interviewers to write her name without a capital letter, that's some of the most obnoxious and pretentious things i've seen this year
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
fancybum
senpai

Ooh I was wondering what this was in response to, if anything specific: (Not that it needs to be in response to anything of course, it’s good just to put it out there either way)

I’m not going to condemn Dodie for the comment though, it’s such a common misconception/worry and not quite baseless. You never entirely know how certain meds can affect you and while obviously the intent is for them to help with at least one specific thing, there are side effects that might alter other things (a+ sciencing) you’d rather they not. I guess the issue obviously is her vocalizing that specific concern out loud for strangers (and by doing so kind of continuing to romanticize ‘madness’as Sav put it) but idk. I don’t think people in the midst of certain struggles (and the worries that go along with them, both rational and irrational) can always be held to the highest standard of “knowing better” because sometimes they’re just really not in a position to. I mean I’m all for not spreading misinformation or stigmatizing options that can really help people, but I’m also all for people speaking for themselves without being piled on for it. (I mean if she had pulled a Tom Cruise and said ‘antidepressants won’t help anyone ever’, that would be a whole other thing. But she just said she’s nervous about what effect they could have on her when she already has issues with feeling ‘numb’ and whatever. But of course that’s probably a discussion she should keep between herself and her doctor, and not a magazine, I also get that).

(Did this on my phone so apologies if it’s terribly written. It’s also probably a terrible opinion but I can’t blame that on my phone)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
smartcookie
drama llama

In regards to the new video for ‘in the middle’

I personally absolutely love the song and was genuinely thrilled when I saw that she had put up an official music video for it. Her previous more legitimate music videos have always held a in my opinion high standard. The gist of it being that I had fairly high expectations.

I liked the air that the video has, it’s subtly melancholy, almost eerie in some senses and it really conveys a feeling of loneliness and awkwardness.
I know the basic meaning behind the song, but I think if you don’t you wouldn’t be able follow the plot of the video at all. It’s quite vague in what of the meaning it gives away, if you know it’s about wanting to have a threesome then you understand that that is what the video tells, but if you don’t, it’s just two lonely mismatched people and a guy creeping on loved up couples.
Although it wasn’t anything spectacular besides the atmosphere I quite enjoyed it until the ending that is. That ending about ruined the video for me, putting that stupid silly teleporter thingy there ruined for me all the seriousness and mood they had built up. There were so many other ways they could have existed that building and all the same kept the videos beauty and professionalism. It degraded what was for me an good and serious albeit rather bland video to something silly, a joke. That teleporter thingy was something I’d expect in a tomska skit not a legitimate music video production. Maybe that’s just me being overdramatic. Didn’t really enjoy dodie’s little speech about taking the opportunity or whatever on the end either. Although very in the line with the message the song is telling it just made for a dull watching experience that left you quite confused especially after that stupid, stupid portal.

Eh, that was just my two cents on the topic, so rant over lol.
everything sucks forever
000dia000
emo goose

smartcookie wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:40 pm In regards to the new video for ‘in the middle’

I personally absolutely love the song and was genuinely thrilled when I saw that she had put up an official music video for it. Her previous more legitimate music videos have always held a in my opinion high standard. The gist of it being that I had fairly high expectations.

I liked the air that the video has, it’s subtly melancholy, almost eerie in some senses and it really conveys a feeling of loneliness and awkwardness.
I know the basic meaning behind the song, but I think if you don’t you wouldn’t be able follow the plot of the video at all. It’s quite vague in what of the meaning it gives away, if you know it’s about wanting to have a threesome then you understand that that is what the video tells, but if you don’t, it’s just two lonely mismatched people and a guy creeping on loved up couples.
Although it wasn’t anything spectacular besides the atmosphere I quite enjoyed it until the ending that is. That ending about ruined the video for me, putting that stupid silly teleporter thingy there ruined for me all the seriousness and mood they had built up. There were so many other ways they could have existed that building and all the same kept the videos beauty and professionalism. It degraded what was for me an good and serious albeit rather bland video to something silly, a joke. That teleporter thingy was something I’d expect in a tomska skit not a legitimate music video production. Maybe that’s just me being overdramatic. Didn’t really enjoy dodie’s little speech about taking the opportunity or whatever on the end either. Although very in the line with the message the song is telling it just made for a dull watching experience that left you quite confused especially after that stupid, stupid portal.

Eh, that was just my two cents on the topic, so rant over lol.
I agree. The concept seemed interesting for the video, and I was hooked for the first minute, but the pacing was off, it was strange and ambiguous and wouldn't make sense unless you consider implications of the song. Then the last minute is just out of place entirely. The entire video seemed like a rough cutting board and there's no substance, anything it was trying just lost itself by the end. I'm disappointed by the wasted potential. Also, I think that if a music video needs a dissertation to understand, let alone enjoy, then it loses its point entirely.
:cactus:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I put this in a trigger warning just in case, as it discusses weight and body positivity(/negativity), which some of you may not feel comfortable with.

Did anyone else feel a bit :/ about her tweet earlier: I'm hesitant to condemn her for it or anything, as I understand that she may be dealing with her own issues with body image etc, but as a bigger girl myself it was really difficult to see this tweet. I fully support her pushing body positivity, and working through her own issues, but personally it hurts to see her (and Shout magazine) suggesting that that photo is of a "bloated belly" or "pot belly". It simply isn't - Dodie is objectively a skinny girl and that is not a photo of a big belly. As someone who is objectively not skinny, it just really sucks to see photos like that being lauded as progressive or a positive example of body positivity. If anything, that photo just adds to my insecurity.

Again, I'm not necessarily condemning Dodie, because I understand that weight issues are sensitive and if Dodie feels that she has a "pot belly" and has been insecure about that in the past, I'm glad she's come to think positively about it now. I vaguely remember her mentioning she has struggled with eating disorders in the past (? I could be making that up, correct me if I'm wrong), and so I don't fault her for being insecure about her weight and/or having a flawed perception of her weight.

I suppose the fault lies mainly with Shout magazine at the end of the day- Dodie's issues are her own issues and while I think she should be careful of what she posts on social media to her impressionable, largely young fanbase I also understand that she may not always make the right decisions. At the end of the day she's a young woman trying to navigate a world that's pretty fucking cruel to women and their bodies.

But I just think it's flat-out dangerous for a magazine aimed at young people to suggest that a person who is objectively slim (regardless of her subjective perception of her weight) is embracing her curves or whatever, implying to bigger girls such as myself that that is what a 'bloated potbelly' looks like. Like, if that's big then god, what am I? - is the feeling I got after reading the tweet. Or maybe I'm just being too sensitive, idk :shrug:
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd

captainspacecoat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 am
I put this in a trigger warning just in case, as it discusses weight and body positivity(/negativity), which some of you may not feel comfortable with.

Did anyone else feel a bit :/ about her tweet earlier: I'm hesitant to condemn her for it or anything, as I understand that she may be dealing with her own issues with body image etc, but as a bigger girl myself it was really difficult to see this tweet. I fully support her pushing body positivity, and working through her own issues, but personally it hurts to see her (and Shout magazine) suggesting that that photo is of a "bloated belly" or "pot belly". It simply isn't - Dodie is objectively a skinny girl and that is not a photo of a big belly. As someone who is objectively not skinny, it just really sucks to see photos like that being lauded as progressive or a positive example of body positivity. If anything, that photo just adds to my insecurity.

Again, I'm not necessarily condemning Dodie, because I understand that weight issues are sensitive and if Dodie feels that she has a "pot belly" and has been insecure about that in the past, I'm glad she's come to think positively about it now. I vaguely remember her mentioning she has struggled with eating disorders in the past (? I could be making that up, correct me if I'm wrong), and so I don't fault her for being insecure about her weight and/or having a flawed perception of her weight.

I suppose the fault lies mainly with Shout magazine at the end of the day- Dodie's issues are her own issues and while I think she should be careful of what she posts on social media to her impressionable, largely young fanbase I also understand that she may not always make the right decisions. At the end of the day she's a young woman trying to navigate a world that's pretty fucking cruel to women and their bodies.

But I just think it's flat-out dangerous for a magazine aimed at young people to suggest that a person who is objectively slim (regardless of her subjective perception of her weight) is embracing her curves or whatever, implying to bigger girls such as myself that that is what a 'bloated potbelly' looks like. Like, if that's big then god, what am I? - is the feeling I got after reading the tweet. Or maybe I'm just being too sensitive, idk :shrug:
i definitely agree that it's discouraging to see it lauded as like, body positivity goals or something. and i'm glad she feels better with herself, even though she has always been quite slim looking. (& yeah, i also vaguely remember her mentioning ED type stuff?) but also: i think the phrase she's using is the most common way people refer to the tiny bump that afab people's organs make? like when they're telling teens 'media images aren't real, people's bodies are meant to have a bump there, it's healthy', they use the phrase "a little potbelly". which is stupid in a few different ways, but yeah. i don't think the wording is intentional on her part, just repeating a stupid phrase other people use and would recognize.

edited(for the third time, jfc my typos) to add: maybe dodie was bloated that day? like maybe she was having her period or trying a new medication or whatever, idk. i don't think you're being too sensitive, it rubbed me the wrong way too. my guess is she's just using the vocab people recognize, because it's easier and not really considering the implications of the exact wording.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

VengefulBlue wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:52 am

i definitely agree that it's discouraging to see it lauded as like, body positivity goals or something. and i'm glad she feels better with herself, even though she has always been quite slim looking. (& yeah, i also vaguely remember her mentioning ED type stuff?) but also: i think the phrase she's using is the most common way people refer to the tiny bump that afab people's organs make? like when they're telling teens 'media images aren't real, people's bodies are meant to have a bump there, it's healthy', they use the phrase "a little potbelly". which is stupid in a few different ways, but yeah. i don't think the wording is intentional on her part, just repeating a stupid phrase other people use and would recognize.

edited(for the third time, jfc my typos) to add: maybe dodie was bloated that day? like maybe she was having her period or trying a new medication or whatever, idk. i don't think you're being too sensitive, it rubbed me the wrong way too. my guess is she's just using the vocab people recognize, because it's easier and not really considering the implications of the exact wording.
just to add on, i recently read dodie's book where she mentioned struggling with EDs. i think that the photo she posted was cathartic for her, and i believe she had the intention to show girls that it's completely okay to look like that, and that it isn't 'fat' (because as VengefulBlue said i'm 99.9% sure that's just what's naturally there to protect her organs). however, as a heavier person, it totally rubbed me the wrong way as well. like, i totally felt envious of her for a little bit because while i've personally come to terms with the fact that i should eat healthy and work out without the sole intention of becoming skinny, there's a part of me that would kill to look like that. i also think that calling it a 'pot belly' is totally incorrect, but i honestly don't believe dodie had any malicious intentions.

whilst i think it's a step in the right direction for teen magazines (who only promoted hundreds of different way to look/get slim when i was reading them), and i believe that dodie never meant for it to be harmful towards anyone, both can do better. especially the teen magazines.
kavat
pastel persona

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:39 am
VengefulBlue wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:52 am

just to add on, i recently read dodie's book where she mentioned struggling with EDs. i think that the photo she posted was cathartic for her, and i believe she had the intention to show girls that it's completely okay to look like that, and that it isn't 'fat' (because as VengefulBlue said i'm 99.9% sure that's just what's naturally there to protect her organs). however, as a heavier person, it totally rubbed me the wrong way as well. like, i totally felt envious of her for a little bit because while i've personally come to terms with the fact that i should eat healthy and work out without the sole intention of becoming skinny, there's a part of me that would kill to look like that. i also think that calling it a 'pot belly' is totally incorrect, but i honestly don't believe dodie had any malicious intentions.

whilst i think it's a step in the right direction for teen magazines (who only promoted hundreds of different way to look/get slim when i was reading them), and i believe that dodie never meant for it to be harmful towards anyone, both can do better. especially the teen magazines.
I remember when dodie posted that image in the first place, quite long ago. The magazine took it slightly out of context, if I remember correctly she wrote about how she only ever saw flat stomachs in media and she wanted to show that not even skinny people look like that all the time. He also encouraged people to post their own under a hashtag, to showcase more variety of bellies.

As a larger girl I totally get why people might react to that, especially as slim or just slightly curvy people tend to take up a large portion of the body posi movement, and it was wrong of Shout to just print that image without further context. As a teen I would have thought "wow, if that's a pot belly then I must be obese". I don't think that was dodies intention.