Other YouTubers thread

angrymob
hobbit hair

mintsans wrote:
angrymob wrote:Nobody cares because I've yet to see a VlogCandy fan here, but John (dudeneedaeaseonup) has been making weekly vlogs for the last few weeks. (I guess it's sort of relevant to D&P because he was Phil's first subscriber which I didn't actually know until now.) They're cute, but slightly boring. Meghan (strawburry17) was in his last vlog, and it seemed fine, but I always thought there was a bit of a falling out between the rest of them and her.
I love John! Have you seen his gaming videos. They're so calming somehow (and he had been doing a Resident evil let's play haha) and it's great seeing his older videos and watching him grow more and more confident and likeable with each video.
Oh wow! I didn't even really know he had a gaming channel. I've been subscribed him so long, I guess I haven't checked on his actual channel page for awhile. And yeah, he was like the 3rd person I ever subscribed to when I was 14, so I feel a bit like I grew up with him. I'm gonna have to go watch him play games now, as it was so nice to see him update more regularly on him main channel.
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

Because people liked the "Paint"s video, Id like to add this video to the mix (It is an April fools joke)
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

leisurely
squish
Pronouns: she/her

Talking about Paint's video about youtube culture it reminded me about this by Ben J Pierce
On the topic of Ben, does anyone else watch his videos? I started watching him last year and I actually really enjoy them, especially the skit/song ones. His impressions of american youtubers are so accurate as well
lilMango
morning quiff

Anonymousse wrote:Because people liked the "Paint"s video, Id like to add this video to the mix (It is an April fools joke)
I love IHE! These two videos were some of the only ones where I didn't see "PROTIP" literally everywhere in the comments
leisurely wrote:Talking about Paint's video about youtube culture it reminded me about this by Ben J Pierce

On the topic of Ben, does anyone else watch his videos? I started watching him last year and I actually really enjoy them, especially the skit/song ones. His impressions of american youtubers are so accurate as well
(sorry the video glitched so I had to remove it from the quote)
I really like Ben's videos, his "The @ Button is Free" song gets stuck in my head constantly.
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
ronniestigs
first-time poster
Pronouns: Neutral

I can't believe that no one has mentioned game grumps. (Although arin does sometimes drive me crazy, and 99% of the lovelies dislike Suzy)
kooshka
living flop

Duncan (PDR-さん) just posted a vid that stated that they have YT 500k parties in Japan (meant for people who have over 500,000 subscribers); while a lot of the things he says are a bit controversial and you can't tell if it's true or not [esp since aprils fools was just now], do you know if they have those in the rest of the world? I'm interested in how circlejerkly the YT business is, and in Japan it's hella circlejerky, so I was wondering if that applies to the rest of the world (if what he's saying is true in the first place ).
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

kooshka wrote:Duncan (PDR-さん) just posted a vid that stated that they have YT 500k parties in Japan (meant for people who have over 500,000 subscribers); while a lot of the things he says are a bit controversial and you can't tell if it's true or not [esp since aprils fools was just now], do you know if they have those in the rest of the world? I'm interested in how circlejerkly the YT business is, and in Japan it's hella circlejerky, so I was wondering if that applies to the rest of the world (if what he's saying is true in the first place ).
duncan's very bitter about the japanese youtube community and likes to make a lot of different excuses for why he isn't the most well known and why he definitely doesn't want to be, so i definitely don't take him as a good source of info. (they shut themselves off from everyone but about 2 japanese youtubers and act offended when no ones interested in working with them aside from gaijin vloggers looking to prove their place. or there was mimei's series on laughing at people's english. does she still do that?).
it's likely (in japan and elsewhere) just for people who are generally the top creators, not just based on a subscriber count, especially under a more high profile agency thing like gleam. if they're doing the best, they get more opportunities, i wouldn't be surprised if parties are included in that.
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
deerly
glabella
Pronouns: they/them

I really like her videos and hope she gets more subscribers
phamnotof wrote:I like my reserved, nerdy awkward weirdos who electroshock their balls in the privacy of their own bedroom with proper safe words and some bloody decorum.
daphenaxa
blobfish

deerly wrote:
I really like her videos and hope she gets more subscribers
i subscribed thanks for that
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
fkatwigs
tol bean

Random question but I was watching some videos from the Daniel J Layton/Hazel Hayes/Jack Howard/Ciaran OBrien crew (the pretentious British crew) and in quite a few of their videos they seem to have some sort of running gag/inside joke about advertising Oreo? Is this in reference to the whole Dan and Phil Oreo thing?

If so I find it quite strange for them to joke so regularly about it considering they don't seem close enough with the boys for it to be a funny depreciating joke between friends rather than a sort of strange mocking?

sorry idk if this makes any sense
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

fkatwigs wrote:Random question but I was watching some videos from the Daniel J Layton/Hazel Hayes/Jack Howard/Ciaran OBrien crew (the pretentious British crew) and in quite a few of their videos they seem to have some sort of running gag/inside joke about advertising Oreo? Is this in reference to the whole Dan and Phil Oreo thing?

If so I find it quite strange for them to joke so regularly about it considering they don't seem close enough with the boys for it to be a funny depreciating joke between friends rather than a sort of strange mocking?

I don't think it is, the whole oreo thing involved a lot of UK youtubers not just Phil, I think dodie clark also did the oreo ad? And Tomska, with hazel in that video as well (edit: ben penis was also in it) . The oreo thing lead UK legislatures to have new ad laws about sponsored video and stuff. I guess they joke about it just because the law is very very strict?

fkatwigs
tol bean

akui wrote:
fkatwigs wrote:Random question but I was watching some videos from the Daniel J Layton/Hazel Hayes/Jack Howard/Ciaran OBrien crew (the pretentious British crew) and in quite a few of their videos they seem to have some sort of running gag/inside joke about advertising Oreo? Is this in reference to the whole Dan and Phil Oreo thing?

I don't think it is, the whole oreo thing involved a lot of UK youtubers not just Phil, I think dodie clark also did the oreo ad? And Tomska, with hazel in that video as well (edit: ben penis was also in it) . The oreo thing lead UK legislatures to have new ad laws about sponsored video and stuff. I guess they joke about it just because the law is very very strict?
Ahh ok I wasn't aware of the other Oreo ads, thanks for clearing it all up for me that must be why they joke about it
mintsans
sofa crease

so i was sick and feverish last night and i spent like two hours watching onision videos (with adblock on dw) and he does seem to have a... thing.. for dan eh? (and not very nice things to say about phil even tho he's the one he's actually collabed with :shock: )
fancybum
senpai

New youtuber abuse allegations:
Trigger Warning :
sexual abuse/drugs/suicidal thoughts
Tumblr post detailing the abuse]
Written by an ex of Toby Turner. I don't know much about him (other than he's an ex of Olga Kay who I like and he pops up on her snapchat sometimes, I think he was with her yesterday) but ugh. I don't even know how 'big' he is in the community, but shit is starting to spread around Twitter (I found it by stalking Evan E's likes) so people are going to be weighing in soon probably. I just checked his gg thread and it's been dead for like a year but there was already talk of drug issues and questionable behaviour with women back then. Sounds like a garbage human.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

Noo, not Toby. :(

He is kind of a legend to me... Well was, because Holy shitzu...

I don't even know how to respond now.

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

lilMango
morning quiff

fancybum wrote:New youtuber abuse allegations:
Trigger Warning :
Written by an ex of Toby Turner. I don't know much about him (other than he's an ex of Olga Kay who I like and he pops up on her snapchat sometimes, I think he was with her yesterday) but ugh. I don't even know how 'big' he is in the community, but shit is starting to spread around Twitter (I found it by stalking Evan E's likes) so people are going to be weighing in soon probably. I just checked his gg thread and it's been dead for like a year but there was already talk of drug issues and questionable behaviour with women back then. Sounds like a garbage human.
This is PROBABLY fake. The story is the plot from Jessica Jones, just with switched out names.
I say PROBABLY because it's not 100% confirmed by the person who wrote it.
internetakeover
lady door

lilMango wrote:
Trigger Warning :
This is PROBABLY fake. The story is the plot from Jessica Jones, just with switched out names.
Having watched Jessica Jones (but not read the comics) it didn't strike me as identical? April has also been backed up by two women with similar accounts, and another woman who says she's seen similar things. There are posts about him on GG from back in 2013 suggesting things weren't quite right.
ETA: warning for sexual assault and drugs in the second account, the YT link.
lilMango
morning quiff

internetakeover wrote:
lilMango wrote:
Trigger Warning :
Having watched Jessica Jones (but not read the comics) it didn't strike me as identical? April has also been backed up by two women with similar accounts, and another woman who says she's seen similar things. There are posts about him on GG from back in 2013 suggesting things weren't quite right.
ETA: warning for sexual assault and drugs in the second account, the YT link.
I see. If there are similar stories about him, then I think it's more likely that the first story is true. I didn't want to seem insensitive, because I always believe the victim, but every comment was saying that it was pretty much word-for-word the plot of the Netflix series.
After the whole Sam Pepper thing, I never know who to trust.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Damn I really used to like Toby, but I haven't watched a video of his in like at least three years. I know he always had a very questionable reputation as YouTube's 'player' or whatever (I know he dated Olga and Justine, and probably many others + it wouldn't surprise me if he slept with a bunch of willing fans as well) but I didn't think he'd be this much of a douchebag. The drugs stories especially scare me, that's possibly a whole new level of messed up within all these scandals. If the story is true, aside from obvious punishment, he needs help.

I feel like more stuff is gonna come out about him, his aforementioned reputation isn't doing him any favors rn. And as convention season is upon us, I'm curious to see what those are gonna do. Especially Playlist which is starting in less than two weeks...
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
fancybum
senpai

Oh no I just realized I also know of him because he's done quite a few things with jacksfilms and he was in YGS100. I know some US viners have been creeps, but in terms of these kinds of allegations, has it mostly been British youtubers up to this point? I'm mostly thinking of Sam Pepper and Alex Day types... They ended up being basically shunned from the community right? Even by formerly close friends. Will the YTers on this side of the pond show similar solidarity.. ? I'm expecting disappointing reactions from people I like but I hope I'm wrong. :?
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

fancybum wrote:Oh no I just realized I also know of him because he's done quite a few things with jacksfilms and he was in YGS100. I know some US viners have been creeps, but in terms of these kinds of allegations, has it mostly been British youtubers up to this point? I'm mostly thinking of Sam Pepper and Alex Day types... They ended up being basically shunned from the community right? Even by formerly close friends. Will the YTers on this side of the pond show similar solidarity.. ? I'm expecting disappointing reactions from people I like but I hope I'm wrong. :?
Some americans that I know of include Mike Lombardo and Alex Carpenter. For non-UK folks, there is frezned/tom mcclean.

There was also Canadian tumblr user Josh Macedo, which, as stated, is not youtube, but other than alex day he was the creator I was most familiar with. I was both shocked and not surprised, tbh (like with alex day).

Feel like I can't post this without just saying how unfortunate it all is.

while fact checking this post i found that a few people i respect/follow on twitter still follow some of these alleged abusers which is unfortunate
internetakeover
lady door

Trigger Warning :
Continued discussion of abusive YouTubers
lilMango wrote:I see. If there are similar stories about him, then I think it's more likely that the first story is true. I didn't want to seem insensitive, because I always believe the victim, but every comment was saying that it was pretty much word-for-word the plot of the Netflix series.
After the whole Sam Pepper thing, I never know who to trust.
I did see that string of comments! I read the account over again and there's one incident which parallels quite directly, but really imo it's only general 'this is an abusive relationship/how an abusive man acts' similarities, nothing else.
fancybum wrote:Oh no I just realized I also know of him because he's done quite a few things with jacksfilms and he was in YGS100. I know some US viners have been creeps, but in terms of these kinds of allegations, has it mostly been British youtubers up to this point? I'm mostly thinking of Sam Pepper and Alex Day types... They ended up being basically shunned from the community right? Even by formerly close friends. Will the YTers on this side of the pond show similar solidarity.. ? I'm expecting disappointing reactions from people I like but I hope I'm wrong. :?
Hmm, I don't know if I'd say it's been mostly UK YouTubers, at least not by any great margin. Just off the top of my head in the UK there was Sam Pepper, Alex Day (and cousin Danny, not sure he was ever directly a YTer but he was associated with the community), Ed Blann, and Tom Milsom. And in the US Luke Conard, Alex Carpenter, Onison, and Mike Lombardo, so that's pretty even? - and frezned, as greatnessflicker said, in thinking US/UK I forgot about him. But again, that's literally just off the top of my head, and therefore probably almost only the YTers I used to watch. (hahaha, so many, i hate YT sometimes)

I'm not too in touch with the US YT community, really, but I'm not sure Luke Conard has been as shunned as the UK YTers were? Though in the UK they pretty much were each others closest friends as far as I could tell, Charlie McDonnell aside, and others might have followed Charlie's lead in cutting contact so firmly. Mike Lombardo was different, more clearly shunned, but in his case there was an FBI investigation into his activity with minors. I think that and Ed Blann may have been the only legal cases?

That's a interesting thought about conventions Catallena! Vidcon's set a pretty good precedent for not allowing abusive YTers, so hopefully they'll act soon to continue that and Playlist will do the same, though I'm just not aware of their history. It is relatively close to the event for Playlist to react, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

(it's a shame for this thread to have become a discussion of awful people, idk if an abuse allegation discussion thread might be an idea so people can have a safe environment in this thread? i'm heading out soon so if anyone thinks that is a good idea do feel free to start it)
fancybum
senpai

Thanks greatnessflicker and internetakeover, apart from Luke Conard who I forgot about, those other names are new to me. And I usually try to pretend onision doesn't exist ugh. Maybe it is because the UK scene is smaller that the names are more recognizable (or else it's just because I'm more familiar with that group so more aware of the controversies), I didn't mean to suggest it's just a UK problem or anything, apologies if that's how it came across. There are awful people everywhere.
internetakeover wrote: (it's a shame for this thread to have become a discussion of awful people, idk if an abuse allegation discussion thread might be an idea so people can have a safe environment in this thread? i'm heading out soon so if anyone thinks that is a good idea do feel free to start it)
Good point, maybe if a mod thinks it's appropriate, they could move these posts into a separate thread if that's possible..? Sorry that didn't occur to me before the first post. :facepalm: Starting new threads is scary..
PolarFox
truth bomb

Just gonna add this video to the Toby Turner discussion. Jaclynn is not the one to be quiet about stuff and it might shade some light onto the things.
Make what you want from this.
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
jhamba
procrastinator

fancybum wrote:
internetakeover wrote: (it's a shame for this thread to have become a discussion of awful people, idk if an abuse allegation discussion thread might be an idea so people can have a safe environment in this thread? i'm heading out soon so if anyone thinks that is a good idea do feel free to start it)
Good point, maybe if a mod thinks it's appropriate, they could move these posts into a separate thread if that's possible..? Sorry that didn't occur to me before the first post. :facepalm: Starting new threads is scary..
This is a great idea. But, if you do want a safe space or something, maybe you could make it in the personal thread (where users need to have 4 posts before they can see it).

Personally, I'd prefer if it were public, so that everyone could see it and be warned, but I also think the safety of the users comes first in this kind of situation. Any post in the "personal" subforum about this topic will not be removed or moved unless we move it to a subforum with similar permissions.

I did make a Toby Turner thread, which I can turn into a general sexual abuse among youtubers thread.
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda