ChewingSand (Hazel Hayes)

onetruetrash
blobfish

I don't really have an opinion on Hazel, but I've seen a lot of negative feelings towards her, so I thought it'd be interesting to start a thread to see people's opinions.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

She's not my favorite but her recent callout of the Saccone-Jolys for using their new baby to clickbait by implying something was wrong with it healthwise was a total win.
000dia000
emo goose

I kind of love/hate her. She's very inspiring and I admire the work she does, the quality, and she's generally just a power lady that I'm constantly astounded by. However, the dislike for her isn't unfounded, she is hyperbolic about situations and is generally just kind of bitchy, she is one of those "professional film makers" Dan may as well be shading. She has an ego, and is probably one of the most pretentious YouTubers out there. For me, she's the sort of person who I watch for their opinions and the content, and while she isn't a bad person at heart, she has that kind of abrasive personality that when you scrape away the sugary sweet top layer is kind of seedy and unpleasant underneath.
:cactus:
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Hazel isn't must watch viewing for me but when I've ran out of stuff to watch on my must-view list she's a youtuber I often turn to and I do usually find her stuff quite watchable. She's not someone I can really binge watch though as I find her better in small doses.
I do particularly like that poem animation she did entitled Happy though.

As someone who is only a casual viewers of her stuff though she does have one habit that particularly grinds on me and that is when she talks directly to her audience she talks like she is addressing the attendees of the Hazel fan club fan meeting.
As someone who is no way shape or form invested in her it always stands out to me and while admittedly I don't watch a great deal of youtubers she is the only person I've really noticed this with. (Well except for Dan in livehows but I guess you are invested to be watching those so he probably is addressing his fan club).
000dia000
emo goose

Trailer for new show she has been working on for the past year. Kind of what the "filmmakers" of YouTube are up to. The editing and directing is good, but I think the story featuring some young guy and in a kind of "found footage" sort of style, can potentially be cheesy. It looks like satire, and using Nathan Zed and Bertie Gilbert makes me both intrigued and afraid of the final outcome. I don't know what to expect from the title "PrankMe", it's just a difficult kind of subject to make serious, and if she gets bad reviews I'm pretty sure the response will be that it's satire/not meant to be taken literally/you don't understand.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

000dia000 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:24 pm
obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:48 am
katemko wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:36 am completely unrelated note but
hazel and jack have just broken up, it appears.
second time i'm replying to an unrelated post today, but regardless it's under the cut
it appears they unfollowed each other on twitter, and hazel unfollowed him on instagram...maybe as this progresses it can be moved to one of their threads for further discussion because i'm confused and interested, but still wanting to respect their privacy
unrelated to main topic of thread
yeah, this discussion will probably be eventually be moved elsewhere, but might as well hop on this thread

I'm surprised they made it so public, I wonder when it happened. Maybe they were better off just ghosting each other's existence until it became more apparent that have broken up. Making a public announcement then saying "pls don't speculate" just makes it worse, it would literally cause more people to speculate [me]. Maybe they think people pay enough attention to notice? Idek.

Is it bad that I could see it happening when they first got together? They both seem like the kind of people that would get married and divorced like 3 or 4 times in their life tbh. Hazel has kind of changed a bit in the last couple of years since dating Jack, she grew more entitled and kind of sharp in her manner, she used to be kind of more normal and softer, less aggressive. I wonder how what her manner will be like next year, she'll probably change into a different person entirely.
popping these here because selfishly i wanna read back in the morning if any more details have emerged. i've kind of always been fascinated by how unlikeable they are as people? jack always irked me but hazel didn't, though i wasn't that exposed to her...agree with comments on hazel's change for the worse (perhaps he just brought out what was already inside her)
art in avatar by lily
fancybum
senpai

000dia000 wrote:Hazel has kind of changed a bit in the last couple of years since dating Jack, she grew more entitled and kind of sharp in her manner, she used to be kind of more normal and softer, less aggressive. I wonder how what her manner will be like next year, she'll probably change into a different person entirely.
I’m not either of these two’s biggest fans, but I’d be more careful with sentiments like that. She’s said that the guy she was dating before Jack ‘wasn’t a nice man’, so calling her past behaviour or personality ‘more normal’ when she was in a bad place isn’t really cool. Maybe this is who she’s always been and she was just less free to express it in the past and to be herself. There are people who completely change themselves and their personalities for each partner, but I don’t think Hazel is that. I think she’s just been on a journey (ew I just woke up I’m sorry) and of course she’s changed a bit along the way but she’s still recognizably who she always has been, if yes, a bit sharper. Time and experiences will do that. I have said before that her and Jack brought out the worst in each other (in terms of SMUGNESS) but I hope that wasn’t true in their private (non-being-annoying-on-social-media) lives. I don’t like people being sad, even if they are mind-numbingly pretentious. (Actually I don’t really care much if Jack’s sad, sorry). I don’t think she’ll become an entirely different person, but I hope next year she’s even more herself, even if that’s still not somebody I particularly like. She’s also said she identifies as bisexual, so... maybe 2018 could be a very good year. Leave all the smug asshole men in 2017.

But like... imma speculate... when and if more things are said. They live in the same apartment building! That stresses me out from an ocean away!
Jack Howard wrote:I might be less active for a while as I try to understand and fix things at the very core of myself. Please don’t speculate.
Is that a weird way of saying he was the dumpee? Or is that just his man version of Hazel’s own ‘heal my heart’ phrase? Will she be at the Star Wars premiere too on Tuesday...? Who gets which friends in the split..? Etc.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Wasn’t she taking about the person before Ollie who was before Jack?
Either way she’s gone from an 8 year relationship to 5 years to 2. I think she needs some time alone.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
fancybum
senpai

lilabet wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:37 pm Wasn’t she taking about the person before Ollie who was before Jack?
Either way she’s gone from an 8 year relationship to 5 years to 2. I think she needs some time alone.
Whoops you’re right, it was the 8 year relationship she called abusive.
But yes, some single time could be a good idea, just to take a breather.
000dia000
emo goose

fancybum wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:23 pm
000dia000 wrote:Hazel has kind of changed a bit in the last couple of years since dating Jack, she grew more entitled and kind of sharp in her manner, she used to be kind of more normal and softer, less aggressive. I wonder how what her manner will be like next year, she'll probably change into a different person entirely.
I’m not either of these two’s biggest fans, but I’d be more careful with sentiments like that. She’s said that the guy she was dating before Jack ‘wasn’t a nice man’, so calling her past behaviour or personality ‘more normal’ when she was in a bad place isn’t really cool. Maybe this is who she’s always been and she was just less free to express it in the past and to be herself. There are people who completely change themselves and their personalities for each partner, but I don’t think Hazel is that. I think she’s just been on a journey (ew I just woke up I’m sorry) and of course she’s changed a bit along the way but she’s still recognizably who she always has been, if yes, a bit sharper. Time and experiences will do that. I have said before that her and Jack brought out the worst in each other (in terms of SMUGNESS) but I hope that wasn’t true in their private (non-being-annoying-on-social-media) lives. I don’t like people being sad, even if they are mind-numbingly pretentious. (Actually I don’t really care much if Jack’s sad, sorry). I don’t think she’ll become an entirely different person, but I hope next year she’s even more herself, even if that’s still not somebody I particularly like. She’s also said she identifies as bisexual, so... maybe 2018 could be a very good year. Leave all the smug asshole men in 2017.

But like... imma speculate... when and if more things are said. They live in the same apartment building! That stresses me out from an ocean away!
Jack Howard wrote:I might be less active for a while as I try to understand and fix things at the very core of myself. Please don’t speculate.
Is that a weird way of saying he was the dumpee? Or is that just his man version of Hazel’s own ‘heal my heart’ phrase? Will she be at the Star Wars premiere too on Tuesday...? Who gets which friends in the split..? Etc.
Yeah, my thoughts were more so based off of her earlier YouTube videos, I didn't know she was in an abusive relationship. Maybe how she currently is the "real" her, but a lot of people shared the sentiment that she seemed to change a little ever since she started dating Jack that heightened her qualities that also met Jack's, so it was more noticeable. :shrug:
fancybum
senpai

000dia000 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:36 pm Yeah, my thoughts were more so based off of her earlier YouTube videos, I didn't know she was in an abusive relationship. Maybe how she currently is the "real" her, but a lot of people shared the sentiment that she seemed to change a little ever since she started dating Jack that heightened her qualities that also met Jack's, so it was more noticeable. :shrug:
Nah ignore me, I always thought she was talking about Ollie (so the guy before Jack and the one she was with throughout the majority of her TOTMs). Like an abusive relationship that started in her mid-late teens and lasted for 8 years through very formative years I’m sure will have had lasting effects, but I was thinking it was a much different situation (and more recent) than it apparently was. I was also being too sensitive as I had just woken up; my heart has iced back over now, I’m good.

I think maybe the actual issue with Jack and Hazel (in terms of public perception) is that maybe they’re just slightly too alike? Like I used to really enjoy Jack’s rude/cynical vibe in his old videos with Louise because it was a charming juxtaposition with her bubbliness and childish excitability. And I used to love Hazel’s TOTMs- her brand has always been about being a bit jaded, glass of wine in hand, always ready to sigh and tell the world to fuck off before pouring another. But there was also a lot of idealism in those videos, in expressing her hopes and dreams and, more importantly, plans for the future. Goals. But all with that edge of world-weariness to cushion any potential failure. It was a good balance.

I think their personalities together just amplified those traits they shared, the cynicism and bitterness, even if it was meant to come off as jokes. That brand of negativity (however intended) just isn’t as charming when it’s not being played off of a lighter personality (Dan, meet Phil). There’s no ebb and flow, it’s just a bottomless pit. And I’m of course only speaking about my own perception of what they put out there! I do hope that wasn’t the vibe in their private lives (just revelling in negativity for its own sake) and that they’re both better off for the time they spent together, rather than worse.

Also I can’t read, Jack seems to be going to Star Wars on Monday, whereas D&P/Dean/maybe PJ? are all going Tuesday. So probably no awkward group dynamics to read into from afar just yet.
000dia000
emo goose

fancybum wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:37 pm
000dia000 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:36 pm Yeah, my thoughts were more so based off of her earlier YouTube videos, I didn't know she was in an abusive relationship. Maybe how she currently is the "real" her, but a lot of people shared the sentiment that she seemed to change a little ever since she started dating Jack that heightened her qualities that also met Jack's, so it was more noticeable. :shrug:
Nah ignore me, I always thought she was talking about Ollie (so the guy before Jack and the one she was with throughout the majority of her TOTMs). Like an abusive relationship that started in her mid-late teens and lasted for 8 years through very formative years I’m sure will have had lasting effects, but I was thinking it was a much different situation (and more recent) than it apparently was. I was also being too sensitive as I had just woken up; my heart has iced back over now, I’m good.

I think maybe the actual issue with Jack and Hazel (in terms of public perception) is that maybe they’re just slightly too alike? Like I used to really enjoy Jack’s rude/cynical vibe in his old videos with Louise because it was a charming juxtaposition with her bubbliness and childish excitability. And I used to love Hazel’s TOTMs- her brand has always been about being a bit jaded, glass of wine in hand, always ready to sigh and tell the world to fuck off before pouring another. But there was also a lot of idealism in those videos, in expressing her hopes and dreams and, more importantly, plans for the future. Goals. But all with that edge of world-weariness to cushion any potential failure. It was a good balance.

I think their personalities together just amplified those traits they shared, the cynicism and bitterness, even if it was meant to come off as jokes. That brand of negativity (however intended) just isn’t as charming when it’s not being played off of a lighter personality (Dan, meet Phil). There’s no ebb and flow, it’s just a bottomless pit. And I’m of course only speaking about my own perception of what they put out there! I do hope that wasn’t the vibe in their private lives (just revelling in negativity for its own sake) and that they’re both better off for the time they spent together, rather than worse.

Also I can’t read, Jack seems to be going to Star Wars on Monday, whereas D&P/Dean/maybe PJ? are all going Tuesday. So probably no awkward group dynamics to read into from afar just yet.
Very excellent way of putting it in a way I certainly couldn't lol :ribena: oh look it's little hazel as a smilie
I'm kind of interesting the long run now, of how they will both change post break up. I think Jack will stay the same, but Hazel will be probably more open about feelings and her life moving forward. Then again, her relationship with Jack was certainly more public, and on camera, than with Ollie. Their friend group is basically the same, so that will be awkward.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I went to Hazel's channel just to see if she'd posted anything interesting post-Jack and ended up clicking this... I had really forgotten that she's a much better singer than Dodie (imo). I genuinely enjoy most the covers she posts that I end up seeing.

captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:30 am I went to Hazel's channel just to see if she'd posted anything interesting post-Jack and ended up clicking this... I had really forgotten that she's a much better singer than Dodie (imo). I genuinely enjoy most the covers she posts that I end up seeing.

Yeah, I thought this was a lovely cover! Niall's voice is gorgeous, I think they really did the song justice. I agree with you that Hazel is a better singer than Dodie, I think her voice is stronger and more classic, if that makes sense? This video from back when I genuinely enjoyed Hazel's videos and thought she seemed like a really interesting person clearly demonstrates the differences in their voices I think (Dodie sounds nice here too, don't get me wrong, but I think Hazel outshines her):
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I have a general question about Hazel which just popped into my head as I was scrolling through twitter. I know that she used to work for YouTube before making her own channel, is that how she's able to get so many celebrities to collab with her? A friend of mine just retweeted a link to her Tipsy Talk with the cast of PP3, I clicked on it and saw it had a really low viewcount (it was also painfully unfunny, but that's not really relevant to this particular question). So I looked back at her last few celebrity vids, and they all had pretty low viewcounts considering how popular the celebs were. Hazel's YouTube channel has just over 250K subscribers, and she has even fewer twitter followers. So, how does she get so many celebs to appear on her channel? If not via her YouTube connections, is she a witch? If so, do you think she'd be willing to teach us some of her spells? They must be quite powerful.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
000dia000
emo goose

sapienveneficus wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 pm I have a general question about Hazel which just popped into my head as I was scrolling through twitter. I know that she used to work for YouTube before making her own channel, is that how she's able to get so many celebrities to collab with her? A friend of mine just retweeted a link to her Tipsy Talk with the cast of PP3, I clicked on it and saw it had a really low viewcount (it was also painfully unfunny, but that's not really relevant to this particular question). So I looked back at her last few celebrity vids, and they all had pretty low viewcounts considering how popular the celebs were. Hazel's YouTube channel has just over 250K subscribers, and she has even fewer twitter followers. So, how does she get so many celebs to appear on her channel? If not via her YouTube connections, is she a witch? If so, do you think she'd be willing to teach us some of her spells? They must be quite powerful.
This was always something I wondered too :thinking: maybe she's built up a lot of connections behind the scenes? I think she sounds appealing to some celebs, as a young woman making films and having a tasteful discussion over a few drinks? It sounds rather vanilla, she's probably appealing in that way, that she's certainly inviting for people and seems kind of more professional than the average youtuber. I don't think those videos get that many views because a lot of these celebrities probably only having a following in regards to people attending their movies and following them on twitter, I don't think that they acquire many fans that would actively type in "X celebrity interviews" unless they have a lot of hype. So it's probably either her networks or rather, people contacting her and believing that her channel would be the desired exposure that they're looking for. Might even work in the celebs best interests and to look more appealing if they did more "humble" interviews, or whatever they're going for.

To be honest, I'm not sure that Hazel's audience cares for celebrity Tipsy Talks. What made them initially appealing was that she did them with close friends, actually getting drunk, and having a laugh. Doing it in a controlled environment, delicately sipping wine, with a complete stranger with no chemistry, doesn't get as many views as they would hope to.
sentinel
lady door

So I was rewatching Becoming Youtube today and I couldn't help but notice how much Hazel has regressed in terms of personality. When she is interviewed, there's a stark contrast between her and other interviewees - she is so well spoken, thoughtful and nicer overall. The only other yter who sounds as good and as thought out as she does is charlieissocoollike's mother. Meanwhile, her current videos make her seem vapid and... I wanna say unintelligent, but that's not true. She come across as very r/iamverysmart-ish. I'm truly baffled by the fact that she slowly started acting so stuck up and self-important.
fancybum
senpai

Speculation o’clock: is this tweet just a general comment on the state of the world or a quite unsubtle allusion again to Jack being a gross man who put his own fleeting pleasure above Hazel’s feelings and their relationship (maybe/allegedly/nobody sue):
And then I searched “rage” in her tweets and they’ve all been fairly recent:
So yeah..
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

Yeah it does seem like it's related to Jack at least in some way.
I still follow them on twitter but they're actually being mostly private and I haven't really figured out if Jack is still in good terms with his and Hazel's old shared friend group, like Dodie, Sammy, etc.. (I mean I haven't been like actively trying to find out but I see Jack engaging a lot with other youtubers (liking & replying) but seems more one side so idk :shrug:
I feel bad for being so curious and gossipy about a break up but I can't help it. I think people making their relationships very public kinda has this consequence :/

Even though most days they annoy me both, Jack has some actually shitty opinions (like supporting Woody Allen and Jennifer Lawrence) and I can say I properly dislike him whereas with Hazel her arrogance & mannerisms often put me off but I'm still a bit admirative of her personality and drive. So I do hope she heals soon and that it only affects her life for the better !
kavat
pastel persona

fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm Speculation o’clock: is this tweet just a general comment on the state of the world or a quite unsubtle allusion again to Jack being a gross man who put his own fleeting pleasure above Hazel’s feelings and their relationship (maybe/allegedly/nobody sue):
My interpretation was that this is about the Aziz Ansari allegations? That story brought up a whole debate about consent and the grey areas of sexual assault that was all over my feed. I don't read anything about this as Jack related (Jack&Dean did the annoyingly catchy song Consent so I really hope it's not Jack related).

In other news, Hazel is going to be on Grace Helbigs podcast Not too deep and I'm looking forward to hearing how honest she is about the breakup. They've both had relationships with other YouTubers so it might be an interesting conversation.
fancybum
senpai

kavat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 am
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm Speculation o’clock: is this tweet just a general comment on the state of the world or a quite unsubtle allusion again to Jack being a gross man who put his own fleeting pleasure above Hazel’s feelings and their relationship (maybe/allegedly/nobody sue):
My interpretation was that this is about the Aziz Ansari allegations? That story brought up a whole debate about consent and the grey areas of sexual assault that was all over my feed. I don't read anything about this as Jack related (Jack&Dean did the annoyingly catchy song Consent so I really hope it's not Jack related).
Ew I’ve only just realized how vague my phrasing was and I’d like to clarify that I was only speaking about cheating re: Jack (because that’s been the main/only speculation lately involving him and I just assumed we’re all on the same page), I was not insinuating anything beyond that (or even thinking it, otherwise I would have phrased it differently). Yikes. Cheating. Gross man who cheats. Fleeting pleasure above feeling etc through cheating. That’s my bad, but YIKES.
kavat
pastel persona

fancybum wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:02 pm
kavat wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 am
Ew I’ve only just realized how vague my phrasing was and I’d like to clarify that I was only speaking about cheating re: Jack (because that’s been the main/only speculation lately involving him and I just assumed we’re all on the same page), I was not insinuating anything beyond that (or even thinking it, otherwise I would have phrased it differently). Yikes. Cheating. Gross man who cheats. Fleeting pleasure above feeling etc through cheating. That’s my bad, but YIKES.
Oooh okay yeah that makes more sense. Sorry for over interpretating :) I still don't think this tweet in particular has anything to do with Jack and more to do with Ansari, but the others about rage might.
alien
procrastinator

Does this read like her most recent ex has a new woman to anyone else?
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alien wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:53 am Does this read like her most recent ex has a new woman to anyone else?
it definitely does, but considering jack's made various statements about taking breaks and bettering himself, i don't think he's ready for a new relationship or is considering being in a new one right now, but i could totally be wrong considering we get such a watered down portion of their lives (i mean, aside from them airing their dirty laundry publicly..)

i have a feeling it could be about ollie, who she dated before jack and who she's said was an abusive ass to her.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Even if it's not about Jack she is probably trying to stir the pot there because she surely must know that is what people would assume considering their recent break-up. .
obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:46 am i have a feeling it could be about ollie, who she dated before jack and who she's said was an abusive ass to her.
I've never heard her talk on this topic myself so I could be wrong here but I'm sure I've seen discussion about this before and it was possibly the ex before Ollie who she said was an abusive ass. Like I say don't know for sure but just wanted to put this on here as when discussing stuff like that I think it's really important to be sure we are accusing the right guy.