Rhett and Link

somethingsketchy
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

I think this panel discussion from Vidcon EU will interest you. It's Rhett and Link, Ian and Anthony, and one of the Fine Bros discussing what it's like to work as a duo. I would be lying if I said I wasn't trying to compare them to Dan and Phil when I watched it.

alien
procrastinator

Curious how you guys feel about GMM's new format? I'm trying really hard to be patient and get used to it but I'm having trouble with how scripted and rushed it feels now.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alien wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:23 pm Curious how you guys feel about GMM's new format? I'm trying really hard to be patient and get used to it but I'm having trouble with how scripted and rushed it feels now.
I was only tentatively getting into the habit of watching them, but the new format is losing me totally. I just don't want to have to click multiple videos a day now. I don't get the motivation behind it, just really want a more impressive total view count? And it definitely does feel more rushed.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I hate the new format. A lot. And I hate how it's longer. GMM was supposed to be "part of your morning routine" but now it's so long, we can just watch it while eating breakfast anymore because it's too long. Also, the autoplay on my youtube app wouldn't play it in order or would just skip around between random days' episodes. (That's finally fixed though) They addressed why they won't do it, but I really wish they just went back to the long form Mythical Show if they wanted it to have segments.

What I'm really not liking right now more though, is the RandL fandom. (Rhink side specifically). It's lots of "Oooo we have to be positive mythical beasts and support our boys no matter what OwO positivity will save the day, they can do no wrong" and heck no friends. I will not blindly support anything.
scientia
phabergé

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:52 am I hate the new format. A lot. And I hate how it's longer. GMM was supposed to be "part of your morning routine" but now it's so long, we can just watch it while eating breakfast anymore because it's too long. Also, the autoplay on my youtube app wouldn't play it in order or would just skip around between random days' episodes. (That's finally fixed though) They addressed why they won't do it, but I really wish they just went back to the long form Mythical Show if they wanted it to have segments.

What I'm really not liking right now more though, is the RandL fandom. (Rhink side specifically). It's lots of "Oooo we have to be positive mythical beasts and support our boys no matter what OwO positivity will save the day, they can do no wrong" and heck no friends. I will not blindly support anything.
I've been a long time RandL fan and yeah, I haven't watched any of their videos for over two weeks now :\ I actually wouldn't mind the longer daily content if the individual videos themselves were longer. To me any challenge/food related video seems way too rushed...those were honestly my favorite for morning/casual background noise so I'm bummed.

I'm also very curious as to what's going on with the This is Mythical channel. There used to be 3+ videos per week on that channel and now the only thing that's left is the video of the podcast. I wonder if the crew is just too busy with the new format or if the channel just didn't take off in the way they were hoping it would?
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

scientia wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:07 amI'm also very curious as to what's going on with the This is Mythical channel. There used to be 3+ videos per week on that channel and now the only thing that's left is the video of the podcast. I wonder if the crew is just too busy with the new format or if the channel just didn't take off in the way they were hoping it would?
I'm not even subbed to TIM. I wanted too, but they put out so much I didn't want to watch. I just check it when I think of it. The only stuff I liked was Lizzie and Ellie's show Gritty in Pink and the cooking with power tools. Even the podcast, that i love love, I never watched because I like to listen while I drive.

I wonder if maybe they are aiming too high? Sounds mean, but. GMM took off because of their personalities and how they mesh perfectly. I don't want to watch everything under mythical entertainment. But it seems like ME is their priority.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:00 pm
scientia wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:07 amI'm also very curious as to what's going on with the This is Mythical channel. There used to be 3+ videos per week on that channel and now the only thing that's left is the video of the podcast. I wonder if the crew is just too busy with the new format or if the channel just didn't take off in the way they were hoping it would?
I'm not even subbed to TIM. I wanted too, but they put out so much I didn't want to watch. I just check it when I think of it. The only stuff I liked was Lizzie and Ellie's show Gritty in Pink and the cooking with power tools. Even the podcast, that i love love, I never watched because I like to listen while I drive.

I wonder if maybe they are aiming too high? Sounds mean, but. GMM took off because of their personalities and how they mesh perfectly. I don't want to watch everything under mythical entertainment. But it seems like ME is their priority.
I think that if they themselves are burning out or foresee a point where they don't want to be the backbone of the network, trying to introduce new personalities people will latch onto is a good thing... but I don't actually get that out of their current team. Some of the stuff is interesting (actually, I enjoy exactly the things you just said: Lizzie and Ellie, and the cooking with power tools) but none of them seem like natural on screen talent the way Rhett and Link are. And it is possible to learn and get more natural with time, but there are so many incredibly talented and already screen-comfortable people out there... so idk. Not quite getting their goal, either.

Also officially gave up on trying to watch GMM at all with the new format. I actually unsubscribed to the channel and now I'm just subbed to TIM.
apathy
sad dimple

My interest in R&L has been slowly waning for a long time, but this recent format has really pushed me away, so if it continues, I'm probably out for good. I think I've watched about 3-4 single segments total since the change and with them being so rushed and incomplete it's just like, why did I bother?

One daily episode was just right, even if it's only a cycle of food video, silly physical challenge video, rAnDoM guessing game, rinse, repeat. I kinda got why they felt like they had to play it safe, those things are easy and get views, and at least they tried to make it fun and there was some space between each one.

But having a slew of nothing but the exact same recycled ideas thrown out every single day is just... kinda sad. I really believe they could do much better, but it's like they don't care at all anymore, they've just given up and shove out whatever crap gets that ad money. YT algorithm life is rough these days I guess. (Or they're taking "daily routine" a lot more literally than I expected.)

When they first announced it, splitting it up immediately sounded like a cheap ploy to get more views. With the "YouTube Originals" logo plastered everywhere, I wondered if they got sponsorship/funding to do it this way for a while. I guess overall views are up, but the views on each individual video look pretty down.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

the other thing i'm confused about is how this will work long term. They have to come up with four things every day*. surely that will make them run out of ideas faster?

*"""every day"""
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I missed their announcement about this and have only just realized that this new format is permanent.

When I noticed that they were posting 4 videos a day, I decided I'd avoid it until this onslaught of content ended. Usually I watch GMM while doing my makeup in the morning, so the broken out videos kinda messes with that. Reading through here and realizing this is a permanent change is super disappointing.

It's just too much? Like... it makes me feel like I have to pick a video to watch and none of the segments ever really stand out to me. And I just miss them sitting at their desks and doing stuff. IDK. I can't see myself going back to being a regular viewer.
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:52 am I hate the new format. A lot. And I hate how it's longer. GMM was supposed to be "part of your morning routine" but now it's so long, we can just watch it while eating breakfast anymore because it's too long. Also, the autoplay on my youtube app wouldn't play it in order or would just skip around between random days' episodes. (That's finally fixed though) They addressed why they won't do it, but I really wish they just went back to the long form Mythical Show if they wanted it to have segments.
This is basically it. It's not something I can really work into my daily routine anymore and they aren't videos I want to be watching at any other time besides morning when I'm only half paying attention. What a shame.
apathy wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:49 pm When they first announced it, splitting it up immediately sounded like a cheap ploy to get more views. With the "YouTube Originals" logo plastered everywhere, I wondered if they got sponsorship/funding to do it this way for a while. I guess overall views are up, but the views on each individual video look pretty down.
This is my assumption. I could see this as them being guinea pigs for youtube to figure out what works in terms of garnering the most views. Thing is... none of it took into consideration the audience and whether they would enjoy it.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I used to go on a GMM binge at least once a month and now its just an intimidating mess. Where it used to be a casual slowed down "talk-show" with a loose weekly schedule, this is just a shit storm I can only assume is brought on by YT Red pressure to rack in the $$$. I used to be a casual viewer and I'm finding it interesting to get other's point of views on the situation. It is so overwhelming with 4 videos a day (flooding sub boxes, much?) and all of them with 4 minute click-baity titles, I'm finding it off-putting, and they've completely lost my views. I found out about this when they posted a short awkward interview with some Stranger Things cast members (and haven't watched since). When did they make this change and what was their reasoning behind it?
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I'd agree with all that has been said above. I too am not a fan of the new GMM format. But, if I'm being honest, I haven't been a regular GMM viewer for at least a year. I loved the show when it was less polished, less about food, and more about Rhett and Link. To give you all an idea of what I loved about the show, this is my favorite GMM episode
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sapienveneficus wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:26 pm I'd agree with all that has been said above. I too am not a fan of the new GMM format. But, if I'm being honest, I haven't been a regular GMM viewer for at least a year. I loved the show when it was less polished, less about food, and more about Rhett and Link. To give you all an idea of what I loved about the show, this is my favorite GMM episode
Well, fuck. I'd watch the hell out of that show. Now I'm mad at myself that I didn't subscribe to them before all this recent mess.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Wedding Fail was PEAK rhink time. Everyone was freaking out over the kiss, it was so much fun in the fandom. Sweet nostalgia
apathy
sad dimple

I'm not sure that'd even be one of my favorite episodes, but just... comparing that to the recent stuff, it's such a letdown to go back to today's spam. So after 5 years of watching, I've unsubscribed.

I'll keep their "main" channel, that might remind me to check in every two years when they post something there to see if there's any change.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

I only found Rhett and Link a few months ago so I didn't really get attached to the format before they changed it. That said, however, I feel that there's something missing with the new format. What it is, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's just because it's so much content split up or because the parts seem to have nothing to do with one another? I see people in the comments complaining about how short certain videos are, but overall, there's more content now, isn't there? It's just all split up and incohesive.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
alien
procrastinator

sonicgreen wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:28 pm I used to go on a GMM binge at least once a month and now its just an intimidating mess. Where it used to be a casual slowed down "talk-show" with a loose weekly schedule, this is just a shit storm I can only assume is brought on by YT Red pressure to rack in the $$$. I used to be a casual viewer and I'm finding it interesting to get other's point of views on the situation. It is so overwhelming with 4 videos a day (flooding sub boxes, much?) and all of them with 4 minute click-baity titles, I'm finding it off-putting, and they've completely lost my views. I found out about this when they posted a short awkward interview with some Stranger Things cast members (and haven't watched since). When did they make this change and what was their reasoning behind it?
The change is just a few weeks old and they explained it in a More episode (after receiving a ton of critical comments) that youtube is first and foremost a "video segment oriented platform" and they explain it by using late night shows as an example. They're hoping it will make people share their content more.

Thanks to everyone for the discussion - I'm glad I asked and now I'm curious what everyone thinks about Buddy System. I liked the first season okay and have only watched the first episode of season 2 but it seems stronger and just as absurd (which I love).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Anyone else listen to the latest Earbiscuits?

They are being brutally honest about some of their reactions to the recent change, and in general their opinions on GMM as a show and it's longevity.
quercussp
living flop

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm Anyone else listen to the latest Earbiscuits?

They are being brutally honest about some of their reactions to the recent change, and in general their opinions on GMM as a show and it's longevity.
Yes I have! I have been a fan of Rhett and Links for a long time. I also have been frustrated with GMM, even before the format change. I prefer watching their interaction, not produced challenge videos. Ear Biscuits, however, is one of my ultimate favorites and I listen to every episode. The one you are talking about was extremely interesting and made me really appreciate their honesty.

By the way, Buddy System is a very entertaining show, so I would recommend watching that instead of GMM. I haven't finished the second season yet, but I thought the first was incredible.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm Anyone else listen to the latest Earbiscuits?

I just listened to the new episode of Ear Biscuits, but I didn't hear them discuss the recent changes to GMM. Are you talking about this week's episode? Where they briefed us on the problems Rhett's been having with his neighbor and then played an old episode from 2014?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sapienveneficus wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:25 am

I just listened to the new episode of Ear Biscuits, but I didn't hear them discuss the recent changes to GMM. Are you talking about this week's episode? Where they briefed us on the problems Rhett's been having with his neighbor and then played an old episode from 2014?
This one!

sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote:This one!
Thanks! I wonder why this isn't the episode that was sent to my podcast app.
Last edited by alittledizzy on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote tag
quercussp
living flop

sapienveneficus wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:09 am
They upload the videos on Sunday. This one came out last week on all the apps
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

998274 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:30 am
sapienveneficus wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:09 am
They upload the videos on Sunday. This one came out last week on all the apps
Except, it didn't. Last week an episode with this title was pushed onto all the podcast apps, but the audio was a repeat of the week before. The episode about being thankful. People were talking about the mixup in the comments of what was, at the time, the most recent video released on This Is Mythical.

I took a screenshot of the comments, but there doesn't seem to be a way to post images that aren't from websites so I'll include the link to the video instead.

quercussp
living flop

sapienveneficus wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:09 am
Except, it didn't. Last week an episode with this title was pushed onto all the podcast apps, but the audio was a repeat of the week before. The episode about being thankful. People were talking about the mixup in the comments of what was, at the time, the most recent video released on This Is Mythical.
Yeah, I forgot! They had a screw up but fixed it pretty quick. I listened to it on monday evening and by that point it was the right one. But you are totally right, they uploaded the wrong one at first.