Rhett and Link

scientia
living flop

Re: Rhett and Link

Post by scientia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 am

alittledizzy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:35 pm
Anyone else listen to the latest Earbiscuits?

They are being brutally honest about some of their reactions to the recent change, and in general their opinions on GMM as a show and it's longevity.
I have, and I'm still not sure what to think. I mean, I'd tend to take what RandL say in "defense" of their changes more seriously than most other youtubers. I now think that if they had been upfront with all of the ideas funneling into this change from the beginning - say, before the first new episode - there wouldn't have been as much of a backlash.

I see in the yt comments that a lot of people are criticizing Rhett particularly for being more passionate/vocal in a preach-y way. Do you guys see this too?

scientia
living flop

Post by scientia » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:20 am

998274 wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:53 pm
alittledizzy wrote:

They are being brutally honest about some of their reactions to the recent change, and in general their opinions on GMM as a show and it's longevity.
Yes I have! I have been a fan of Rhett and Links for a long time. I also have been frustrated with GMM, even before the format change. I prefer watching their interaction, not produced challenge videos. Ear Biscuits, however, is one of my ultimate favorites and I listen to every episode. The one you are talking about was extremely interesting and made me really appreciate their honesty.

By the way, Buddy System is a very entertaining show, so I would recommend watching that instead of GMM. I haven't finished the second season yet, but I thought the first was incredible.
Sorry for the double post but I couldn't agree more re: their interaction. I tend to like the GMMore episodes more these days, as there's a larger chance it'll just be Rhett and Link talking or sharing a story. Man, the early seasons are still so enjoyable for this reason!

I have YTRed but haven't watched Buddy System, I think I'll give it a shot now!

apathy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Post by apathy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:28 pm

scientia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 am
alittledizzy wrote:

I have, and I'm still not sure what to think. I mean, I'd tend to take what RandL say in "defense" of their changes more seriously than most other youtubers. I now think that if they had been upfront with all of the ideas funneling into this change from the beginning - say, before the first new episode - there wouldn't have been as much of a backlash.

I see in the yt comments that a lot of people are criticizing Rhett particularly for being more passionate/vocal in a preach-y way. Do you guys see this too?
They seemed to take the money issue really to heart and dwelled on it a bit too long. And the idea that "real celebrities don't deal with this" is DEFINITELY not true. Has any band with any amount of success not been accused of selling out? Actors who put their name on clothing lines or perfumes or do commercials for anything? You're not pioneers here.

I wish they would've spent more time on the creative side of it, because Link only gave two examples of "things we wouldn't have done before", and they both sounded to me exactly like things they've done before. Freezing themselves? Same Physical Challenge category as ice baths and sensory deprivation in my head, they've done both. He made it sound like "but we did it at a field location", like wow guys, so creative. Big Mac/Whopper something? I dunno, I skipped it, it looked like Yet Another Food Video (tm), maybe there was something super original in it that I missed?

I guess I'm just not on the same page they are with that. I get wanting to expand and evolve, but all I saw in thumbnails and titles was the same old type of stuff they've been doing for years x 4, so if there's a burst of creativity anywhere in there, they need to figure out how to show it, because "will it taco" is not creative when you did "will it pizza" the week before just because it now features a corn shell.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.

alien
delia smith’s placenta
Pronouns: she/her

Post by alien » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:14 pm

I actually felt a little bad watching/listening to the new Ear Biscuits ep where they're talking about the changes because they genuinely seem hurt by people's reactions. I like RnL and have been a casual (not involved in fandom but pretty much daily viewer) fan for many years and I want to be on the same page as them but I just hate this new format so much. And my main complaint has stayed the same - each video feeling super rushed and very scripted - and they didn't address it at all. So I don't know lol.

I am definitely enjoying Buddy System season 2 though! I may have stopped watching GMM daily but as long as I don't binge the new season of Buddy System I can still have something to watch daily until I've run out of episodes =/

living flop

Post by 998274 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm

alien wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:14 pm
I actually felt a little bad watching/listening to the new Ear Biscuits ep where they're talking about the changes because they genuinely seem hurt by people's reactions. I like RnL and have been a casual (not involved in fandom but pretty much daily viewer) fan for many years and I want to be on the same page as them but I just hate this new format so much. And my main complaint has stayed the same - each video feeling super rushed and very scripted - and they didn't address it at all. So I don't know lol.

I am definitely enjoying Buddy System season 2 though! I may have stopped watching GMM daily but as long as I don't binge the new season of Buddy System I can still have something to watch daily until I've run out of episodes =/
I totally agree that the new format makes the episodes feel rushed BUT they are addressing it, and the episodes they filmed more recently have a much more relaxed vibe (you can tell when something was recorded by how bad the lighting is - they are still figuring out how to make it less yellow, but the newer stuff has gotten much better). So they are trying. I still feel that some of the segments are really bad, but I hope they figure it out and for the last week I certainly have enjoyed at least one of the segments they put out.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by alittledizzy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm

998274 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm
alien wrote:

I totally agree that the new format makes the episodes feel rushed BUT they are addressing it, and the episodes they filmed more recently have a much more relaxed vibe (you can tell when something was recorded by how bad the lighting is - they are still figuring out how to make it less yellow, but the newer stuff has gotten much better). So they are trying. I still feel that some of the segments are really bad, but I hope they figure it out and for the last week I certainly have enjoyed at least one of the segments they put out.
I tried to watch again today and made it halfway through the first segment before noping out. It's just too dumb. These aren't dumb guys, why is the content so dumb? I don't even need classy or intellectual stuff, but Link gagging over weirdly flavored things five times a week will never appeal to me.

Buddy System is great, though. And Earbiscuits is the thing I've been into for years so I guess I'll just accept that GMM isn't for me.

living flop

Post by 998274 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:54 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 pm
998274 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm
alien wrote:

I tried to watch again today and made it halfway through the first segment before noping out. It's just too dumb. These aren't dumb guys, why is the content so dumb? I don't even need classy or intellectual stuff, but Link gagging over weirdly flavored things five times a week will never appeal to me.

Buddy System is great, though. And Earbiscuits is the thing I've been into for years so I guess I'll just accept that GMM isn't for me.
I wish they would lay off the gross food stuff. It gets them the most views, but all the dedicated fans I know (including me) hate these episodes. I also feel that I'm not the target audience for GMM anymore and I like about 10-25% of the episodes, but I've watched it for years, so it's really painful to give up that part of my morning routine.