Rhett and Link

MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

Anyone watch Rhett and Link? Good Mythical Morning?

I just bought tickets for their tour this morning and I'm so nervous to go.
sans
delia smith
Pronouns: him/they

Mythical Beast over here :D I love them.

I live outside the US so I'm really jealous of people who get to go see them on tour. Knowing them, it's gonna be a super-high production value thing like everything else they make.

It's also refreshing to me that they are ALWAYS doing new things. Like, they could just keep making GMM and cash in their money, but they are actually very creative peeps that just want to keep putting stuff out there. I love it.

My only complain is that their show tends to be a bit too PG 13 for me. Not that I mind that much but it makes it seem a bit manufactured at times, kinda like they are trying to be a TV Show, and I loathe TV shows.

Anyway, always happy folks do what they love and are successful at it Also, best friends! Yes!! I draw parallels sometimes between them and deppy.
apathy
sad dimple

I've been watching them for a few years, since I saw them on Written By a Kid. I'm not that interested in their tour (or book) though, which works out anyway because it's not coming anywhere near here.

I kind of feel like my interest in them is going downhill overall, sadly. It seems like it's just becoming "whatever for views", gotta get that disgusting shock factor in, and I don't know if it's actually changed or if I've just become more aware and gotten bored with it. It's very rare that I don't absorb every bit of something I enjoy, but I've found myself skipping several episodes that don't appeal to me. And their Let's Plays... they usually somehow make good games look boring.
sans wrote:My only complain is that their show tends to be a bit too PG 13 for me. Not that I mind that much but it makes it seem a bit manufactured at times, kinda like they are trying to be a TV Show, and I loathe TV shows.
That's interesting, because I've always looked at them as 1000% a manufactured "tv" type show. I don't follow them at all on social media or outside GMM/More, but they come across there as very much detached from their audience with the staff doing most of the interaction. I don't really put them in the same YT category with D&P. It's very much an "entertainment company" they have set up, not a personal YT channel.

It's not better or worse, just a very different approach. Maybe that's why I expect more from them and have been kind of disappointed with the quality level for a while.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
helvetica
sofa crease

I really enjoyed their podcast EarBiscuits and their early stuff. Their new stuff is okay but I haven't been following it at all, partially bc theres a bunch of random people on it now.

The podcast interviewed other you tubers in a serious but fun way, which was refreshing. And you got to hear about Rhett and links childhood in South? North? Carolina and how they are still friends today.

Their friendship is both very similar and very different to D&Ps-- most notably that both rhett and link are definitely straight bros, and have wives and a family away from work.
sans
delia smith
Pronouns: him/they

apathy wrote: That's interesting, because I've always looked at them as 1000% a manufactured "tv" type show. I don't follow them at all on social media or outside GMM/More, but they come across there as very much detached from their audience with the staff doing most of the interaction. I don't really put them in the same YT category with D&P. It's very much an "entertainment company" they have set up, not a personal YT channel.
I think this very much depends on who you ask-- I've been watching them for ages, since the 'studio' was a corner in a garage, so I guess I've build up trust and got to see them as actual people and not just hosts, plus, their staff is really small and they have their own segments, so you get to see they are actual people as well and not faceless shadows behind the camera like in most TV shows.

While I do think they are not in the same level as Dan and Phil, I'm also in the unpopular group that thinks that D&P are very manufactured at times, but in a different way than Rhett and Link.

D&P solo videos are scripted; GMMs only have an outline of what they are doing in the show, so its more spontaneous, but GMM is about whatever is popular at the time; D&P videos are about personal topics and 100% done by themselves, so they feel more authentic.

I would argue that GMM seeks more viewer interaction with their Wheel Of Mythicality segment and the Thrusday Mail bits than D&P do with just their liveshows. The liveshows are waay more personal and genuine, tho.

Obviously my opinion might be biased because like I said, been watching for a long time But for me they have totally different styles, but a similar 'level' of authenticity.
It's very much an "entertainment company" they have set up, not a personal YT channel.
tiny side note on this because this is my 100% biased opinion: being a 'new' viewer, I also see D&P as an "entertainment company". Have in mind I started watching when they just started their tour, so i've never seen them as two dudes casually doing youtube
And their Let's Plays... they usually somehow make good games look boring.
I wont argue with this. Their let's plays are.the.worst.
apathy
sad dimple

sans wrote:D&P solo videos are scripted; GMMs only have an outline of what they are doing in the show, so its more spontaneous, but GMM is about whatever is popular at the time; D&P videos are about personal topics and 100% done by themselves, so they feel more authentic.

I would argue that GMM seeks more viewer interaction with their Wheel Of Mythicality segment and the Thursday Mail bits than D&P do with just their liveshows. The liveshows are waay more personal and genuine, tho.
I get what you're saying about scripted vs spontaneous, that's a fair way to look at it. I do see how R&L reactions can be more authentic as far as videos.

I'm also a bit biased because I think of D&P more in terms of gaming channel and liveshows over main channel videos - there's a big gap in the scripted scale between those. That's probably not a fair comparison, so good point.

I definitely agree about D&P being more career than casual. The difference to me is that they did start as casual and sort of stumbled into the career accidentally. I believe R&L had aspired to be in entertainment with their previous shows & tv attempts and commercial work before GMM took off. Also, just that they divide their show into "seasons" indicates to me that they're very much trying to make a tv-style talk show in the internet world. Those are things that shaped my view of each of them. How you approach it definitely makes a difference! :)

We may have different definitions of interaction though? The Wheel was great at first when they had good audience suggestions, but lately it's just "tweet this" and "don't google that" isn't it? (Honestly, I quit watching that part when they made a "prize" of pre-recorded jokes with people's usernames roboted in. :sideeye: Maybe I missed something.) And the mail segment is usually one letter per week?
sans wrote:I wont argue with this. Their let's plays are.the.worst.
It's too bad really, because they have a good dynamic between them. I'm not sure why they're not able to translate that into gaming #bants.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

sans wrote:
apathy wrote:And their Let's Plays... they usually somehow make good games look boring.
I wont argue with this. Their let's plays are.the.worst.
how dare y'all. lol Their lets plays the best.

I've been watching them for a few years now, and I would agree that it's going more towards a company nowadays. Once the crew started to be on GMM regularly... I usually skip it if it's too heavy with the Mike and Alex stuff. But it might just be those two, because I can't stand the new Ten Feet Tall show, but love the other stuff on This is Mythical.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I just started watching GMM in the past couple of weeks and my biggest annoyance right now is how often I click a video and it's not them.

(Though, the guys cooking stuff can stay, they're entertaining.)
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I agree. I'm hoping that once they are back to their normal schedule, it will be just them again. But they are going longer format next season(?) to 22mins. And I'm not sure how I feel about it. I watch GMM for R&L dynamic and not for the guests or the crew.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

So I've been watching GMM since it came back with the new season and...

Is it a food show? Like is that actually what they do almost every day? I feel weirdly let down still, maybe because all summer I just kept being kind of excited for when it came back. But I have weird issues with food and watching people eat so I've only actually managed to make it through what feels like very few episodes. Is this some kind of special theme they've got going that'll stop soon? Or did I just really miss the memo hard.
JLynne
drama llama

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:01 pm So I've been watching GMM since it came back with the new season and...

Is it a food show? Like is that actually what they do almost every day? I feel weirdly let down still, maybe because all summer I just kept being kind of excited for when it came back. But I have weird issues with food and watching people eat so I've only actually managed to make it through what feels like very few episodes. Is this some kind of special theme they've got going that'll stop soon? Or did I just really miss the memo hard.
Those are the videos that consistently get the most views/are the most requested/are pretty easy to do, so those are going to be a mainstay on their channel. I personally enjoy the taste-testing videos - a little bit of mindless fun in the morning is nice - but I agree I'd like to see a little more variety.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Back when it started there was way way less food stuff. It's gotta more food based each season. I'm guessing since they are about to go on tour, but haven't announced any break like they usually do (but sometimes they announce that week it will be the last week, so who knows) they are just mass filming episodes. And food ones are easy since they don't have to be topical. Just have to dink it, sink it, then react.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:50 am Back when it started there was way way less food stuff. It's gotta more food based each season. I'm guessing since they are about to go on tour, but haven't announced any break like they usually do (but sometimes they announce that week it will be the last week, so who knows) they are just mass filming episodes. And food ones are easy since they don't have to be topical. Just have to dink it, sink it, then react.
JLynne wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:17 pmThose are the videos that consistently get the most views/are the most requested/are pretty easy to do, so those are going to be a mainstay on their channel. I personally enjoy the taste-testing videos - a little bit of mindless fun in the morning is nice - but I agree I'd like to see a little more variety.
Thank you! I actually do enjoy the straight up taste test ones, like the pumpkin spice taste test they did last week or even the fast food hot sauce. My personal issue is just when it comes to doing anything gross/weird with food that doesn't involve just eating it, or blending/combining foods that don't go together. My gag reflex when it comes to food is just way too strong, which is frustrating as hell since I do actually really enjoy Rhett and Link's chemistry. I couldn't even make it through the smelling bee when I realized they were going to have things poured on them.

Oh well. Still super excited for more Buddy System.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Just got back from the Dallas Tour of Mythicality

I HAD SO MUCH FUN!!! I used to not care that I had just missed on getting to see TATINOF but now I’m so bummed.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:51 am Just got back from the Dallas Tour of Mythicality

I HAD SO MUCH FUN!!! I used to not care that I had just missed on getting to see TATINOF but now I’m so bummed.
I started watching GMM a few months ago and I bet it would be so fun!

I just saw John and Hank Green in person this weekend and I'm now wishing I would have bought more yt tour tickets throughout the years. It was so fun.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I met John Green during his TFIOS tour thing, and I sobbed right in front of him. It made me decide that I never want to go to another YouTube thing again, but I think RandL’s show changed that back. I don’t like M&G situations, but I like shows.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:22 pm I met John Green during his TFIOS tour thing, and I sobbed right in front of him. It made me decide that I never want to go to another YouTube thing again, but I think RandL’s show changed that back. I don’t like M&G situations, but I like shows.
There are no meet and greets for this tour. I don't know what I would have done in that situation. When TFiOS came out, I probably would have reacted like you, but I've grown a lot since then and have really found my composure as an adult. I'd like to believe I could keep my composure, but I also know how I acted when I saw One Direction only two years ago.

I'm so glad you had fun!!
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Oh, I was a full ass grown adult when I met John Green. Two kids, a mortgage, married for 5 years. It was just a very stressful time in my life health wise and it bubbled right up when I went to shake his hand. Not my proudest moment lol
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Too late for edit:I was married for 3 years. Don’t really matter, I just feel bad that it’s wrong info.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oh jesus, the accents in today's episode of GMM make me feel disturbingly like I'm at a family gathering. It sounds like it should be more of a parody but it's really not.
scientia
phabergé

I love RandL's podcast "Ear Biscuits" and wondered if anyone else here has listened to it. I find myself re-listening to the episode #86 ('Season 2 Finale'), especially from around the 44-minute mark onward. They discuss the trust they share, using "we" language for all of their projects, and what they value about each other...it really makes me wonder if DnP have similar aspects of their friendship-partnership-whatevership. Either way it's an (imo) interesting look into youtube partnerships between long-term friends - I recommend listening to it!
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I’ve wondered that too. Especially now with the Truth Bombs game being both Dan AND Phil. I would love to know if they have changed their opinions on if they are a duo. I remember a vyou where dan talks about how they aren’t “Dan and Phil” but just Dan and Phil.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

scientia wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:50 am I love RandL's podcast "Ear Biscuits" and wondered if anyone else here has listened to it. I find myself re-listening to the episode #86 ('Season 2 Finale'), especially from around the 44-minute mark onward. They discuss the trust they share, using "we" language for all of their projects, and what they value about each other...it really makes me wonder if DnP have similar aspects of their friendship-partnership-whatevership. Either way it's an (imo) interesting look into youtube partnerships between long-term friends - I recommend listening to it!
I too am an Ear Biscuit fan. (Less so this season, but those first two seasons have some real gems) I think Rhett and Link have a real talent for having honest conversations with people. My favorite episode is their interview with Hannah Hart. I believe it was episode 5. Anyhow, they were able to get her to open up in way I'd never heard before. They also seem to have a real insight into partnership dynamics. So, yeah, right near the top of my fandom wishlist, would be an Ear Biscuit with Dan and Phil.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

scientia wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:50 am I love RandL's podcast "Ear Biscuits" and wondered if anyone else here has listened to it. I find myself re-listening to the episode #86 ('Season 2 Finale'), especially from around the 44-minute mark onward. They discuss the trust they share, using "we" language for all of their projects, and what they value about each other...it really makes me wonder if DnP have similar aspects of their friendship-partnership-whatevership. Either way it's an (imo) interesting look into youtube partnerships between long-term friends - I recommend listening to it!
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:21 pm I’ve wondered that too. Especially now with the Truth Bombs game being both Dan AND Phil. I would love to know if they have changed their opinions on if they are a duo. I remember a vyou where dan talks about how they aren’t “Dan and Phil” but just Dan and Phil.
Ooh, I need to listen to that now.

I do get the impression just from now a few months of watching Rhett and Link regularly that they have such balance and fulfillment in their lives from every aspect that they're not particularly looking for independent projects? Like, they seem extremely content continuing on a path that works for them and is very clear cut and navigable and then going home to their families every day. I kind of wonder if the family and business full of employees part makes a difference? Like, they don't seem inclined to take big risks, and they've got more reason to lean back against stability and what works considering they are paying real people salaries that presumably they need to live on. Dan and Phil don't do that, exactly; they have the merch shop but the merch shop seems to have the goal of being self-sustaining aside from them. I think a better comparison to Rhett and Link with be Ian and Anthony, but Ian and Anthony were both younger and Anthony is a good example of someone who had relatively little weighing him down and therefore seemed to have a thirst for solo work and to not be seen as part of a team. Anthony didn't want to be defined as being half of Smosh anymore because he felt too boxed in; Rhett and Link go home to wives and kids at the end of every day, so half of who they are professionally definitely does not dominate their lives?

(I don't really know how to fit Dan and Phil in there, btw. I don't think they fully fit either mold but there probably is still room for parallel.)
scientia
phabergé

Yes exactly, and in fact in that podcast episode RandL say they specifically ask their managers to only present them with joint opportunities. It's very interesting to me to see two people willing/even preferring to have their entire careers linked together