Offtopic thread

bluebox-away
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

PolarFox wrote:I have the same experiences, I can quite vividly imagine music in my mind but not much else. What a special snowlfakes we are.
Anonymousse wrote:Thanks everyone,

If I feel the need to vent more, I will just come here with all my spoilers and trigger warnings.

*le hugs le everyone*
Le much hugs to you and hope you feel better.
Have some more hugs I hope you feel better Anonymousse that's such a rough thing to go through, we're here for you
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Anonymousse -
loststars wrote:I'm currently working on a project that involves reading conspiracy theories about plane crashes and some of the ridiculousness I've seen is just...

Do you maybe have some favourite ones to share? This is rather fun :lol:
It's not strictly plane related, but the 9/11 Truthers episode of Oh No, Ross and Carrie is a wild ride.
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

The English language is driving me crazy.

"I", "It", "I'm" start with a capital letter and "is" starts with a regular one. I Can't seem to get my apostrophes right and I seem to hate the position of adjectives vs verbs.

Ugh, I'm trying really hard, and this really Isn't something I would fail to do on a test, but i feel so weird about making mistakes, like I'm outing myself as the "foreign one".

i know there are many, but I secretly wish to blend with the native speakers.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON COMMAS.

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

bluebox-away
woodland creature

Anonymousse wrote:The English language is driving me crazy.

"I", "It", "I'm" start with a capital letter and "is" starts with a regular one. I Can't seem to get my apostrophes right and I seem to hate the position of adjectives vs verbs.

Ugh, I'm trying really hard, and this really Isn't something I would fail to do on a test, but i feel so weird about making mistakes, like I'm outing myself as the "foreign one".

English is horrible and so difficult to learn, but for the capital/normal I's it's not too complicated: if it's I as in 'me' it's a capital letter, so I'm has a capital I because it's short for I am, any other word starting with 'i' like is/it/isn't/its/it's all have normal small letters :)
Gonna be honest, even though it's my first language I'm pretty hopeless at explaining grammar and punctuation.. Your english is great though, I'm not having any trouble understanding you at all!
most native speakers can't english properly either so it's fine
Anonymousse
flower crown

bluebox-away wrote: English is horrible and so difficult to learn, but for the capital/normal I's it's not too complicated: if it's I as in 'me' it's a capital letter, so I'm has a capital I because it's short for I am, any other word starting with 'i' like is/it/isn't/its/it's all have normal small letters :)
Gonna be honest, even though it's my first language I'm pretty hopeless at explaining grammar and punctuation.. Your english is great though, I'm not having any trouble understanding you at all!
most native speakers can't english properly either so it's fine
Lol I already effed up with that "it" one but I guess my mistakes mostly come from not being used to bashing the shift key, as I type.

And native speakers mistakes are no excuse for mine

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

spider
ar·tic·u·late

Anonymousse wrote:And native speakers mistakes are no excuse for mine
Wouldn't have known you weren't a native speaker if you hadn't said so. Keep working on improving if that's what you want to do but your English is very good. Your mistakes are almost unnoticeable and don't stand out any more than a native speaker's would.
DryCereal
koi pond

Anonymousse wrote:The English language is driving me crazy.

We're all foreigners on the internet! ;) And yup, English grammar is a bitch for never sticking to any defined patterns. My own is pretty awful, I'm far more careful when I'm speaking a foreign language, so I do understand exactly what you mean. I think it stems from the fact we were never TAUGHT it in the same way you are for a foreign language, it's strange.
Capitalisation for "I/i" is as bluebox said - unless it's the first word in a sentence, you only use the capital if it's the first person pronoun, eg: "I am", "Lucy and I" etc. Weirdly none of the other pronouns obey the same rule.

You should definitely go for the teaching qualification though! It's always good to get as many different skills/qualifications for different things as you can, and if nothing else, teaching will probably help you get better at picking up mistakes in your own, as well as any potential students work.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
daphenaxa
blobfish

hey it seems there are a lot of procrastinators on this forum :platonic: first hello my people haha
but i stumbled upon this https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_urban_ins ... =en#t-5503 a little time ago and I found it interesting, especially the end (the no deadline thing) which is less discussed than the first part of it (doing it in a frenzy, leaving tasks until the end). Just thought it could interest some of you. I think it's a good watch. I actually tweeted it to Dan too lol.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
majitzu
angel bean

I always have problems with tenses, if I use did/had I don't know if the next verb has to be in past tense or not.

And sometimes I'm a mess with the in/on prepositions, when I use in? and when on?

But you know I have stop giving a f*** because if not I would never express my opinion xD
loststars
living flop

Those are valid points but OMG have any of you studied German as a second language? It's so much more insane :shock: I can't imagine what languages like Finnish/Hungarian must be like as they're supposedly the most difficult ever.
(c)itscomicdans
bluebox-away
woodland creature

loststars wrote:Those are valid points but OMG have any of you studied German as a second language? It's so much more insane :shock: I can't imagine what languages like Finnish/Hungarian must be like as they're supposedly the most difficult ever.
I've never taken German but my friends who did all complained endlessly about the grammar, I remember finding Dutch grammar pretty tricky to start with, which I think is similar but less horrible? The only reason my grammar knowledge is decent is because my French classes focussed on it a lot, without that I'd definitely be failing the Russian class I'm currently taking :?
Anonymousse
flower crown

loststars wrote:Those are valid points but OMG have any of you studied German as a second language? It's so much more insane :shock: I can't imagine what languages like Finnish/Hungarian must be like as they're supposedly the most difficult ever.
The way I was taught in school:
1st Native
2nd English
3rd Russian
4th Japanese
5th German

Russian of all has been the craziest because I can't wrap my head around any gendered speech. (I'm sorry but f gendered speech on a moral level =/)
(tho German wasn't so far off)
And well Native is "one of the hardest to learn languages in the world" bleh.

- Manged

loststars
living flop

Anonymousse wrote:
1st Native
2nd English
3rd Russian
4th Japanese
5th German

Russian of all has been the craziest because I can't wrap my head around any gendered speech. (I'm sorry but f gendered speech on a moral level =/)
DAAaaaAmn girl, 5?????

Aha, so I guess your Eastern European language doesn't use gendered pronouns? Thought we were all kinda similar in this aspect (at least the Slavic languages).
(c)itscomicdans
bluebox-away
woodland creature

The languages I know:
English - native
Dutch - more or less native
French - fluent
Spanish - intermediate but it's been a few years
Russian - beginner
I found French really hard at the beginning but Spanish was pretty okay cause it's so similar, Russian is a whole new ball game because of the new alphabet but my biggest struggle is all the different cases :(
corn flakes
moon room

sorry for intruding but I'm costantly amazed by how many languages ang things you know.

Regarding the languages I know: they are only three ,the fouth should have been German...I learned it in middle school (3 years) but I remember only the basic things that you usually pick up on the first two days of holiday. My only fond memory of it is my teacher bribing us with her impression of a frog .
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
PolarFox
truth bomb

Anonymousse wrote:
1st Native
2nd English
3rd Russian
4th Japanese
5th German

Wow five... Now I'm kinda curious what is your native language.
I have made the grave mistake of choosing spanish over russian. I've been having spanish for six years and I can't speak for crap in spanish.
But yeah, been learning english since I went to school. So almost twelve years. I learnt the most through the internet though. Like many of my schoolmates (we are seventh grade of something like grammar school) can't speak english much. Get your language sorted schools, goddammit. (Also the accent some of the teachers have... Ugh)
And I cannot use commas in english at all - I go by the sound or just use the rules from my native. Or doubled letters, I never know with those. I have no problem with then/than or your/you're though.
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
DryCereal
koi pond

German is my 3rd language. There are rules it sorta/kinda follows... usually(!) But the cases come out to play and f**k everything up! :wtf: My German teachers at A Level both did Russian though, so were telling us we could have it so much worse!! :wtf:
Gendered speech/nouns didn't faze me, I just found it silly, apart from (for some reason) "das Kind" in German. Logically I know it shouldn't be masculine or feminine, but referring to a child as "it" (even as an abstract concept) never sits right with me!

English - native
French & German - fluent,
Italian - maaaaaaaaassively out of practice! :cry:
Spanish - Is getting better - at least I hope it is, and my partner isn't just lying to me and laughing behind my back!! I would quite like to be able to understand and reply to his mother on the phone (going and meeting her is too scary a prospect to consider at the moment!)
Arabic, Welsh & Japanese - "enough to be polite" ;)

Any kids unlucky enough to have my partner and I as parents (there's a scary thought!) are going to be raised OPOL from the get-go, as it's true it's easer to learn the younger you are.
Anonymousse
flower crown

PolarFox wrote: Wow five... Now I'm kinda curious what is your native language.
I'm starting to see how difficult it is for me to talk about languages without mentioning my native.
PolarFox wrote: I have made the grave mistake of choosing spanish over russian. I've been having spanish for six years and I can't speak for crap in spanish.
Mm, it really depends on how much you use that language on your free time. My Russian isn't very good because like a lot of brats where I live, I refused to learn it, because it was the "soviet" language. I have a lot of regret because of this because I love a lot of aspects about Russia and quite a few of my friends are Russian or Ukrainian decent.
PolarFox wrote: Get your language sorted schools, goddammit.
They really need teachers that have learned many different languages themselves because they then will know the struggle.

Edit: More on gendered language. I'm uber-sensitive towards trans people, but I tend to mix up "he" and "she" all the time. I have been "yelled at" at a... certain place... for doing it.

- Manged

kooshka
living flop

I started studying German when I was 15 and fell madly in love with how logical it is it's so easy to study! I hate languages that are full of things that you "just need to know" (French I'm looking at you).

But I at the same time I really hate languages that have the feminine/masculine thing. I'm Finnish and the Finnish language doesn't have that, even the she/he word is neutral and it's a pain in the butt having to learn what object is which.

I've studied Swedish and Japanese on top of those (and English), and I'm fairly fluent, I love the Japanese language since it's pretty easy grammatically (kanjis are what destroy me). I did Russian for a while but it just felt like I was forcing it so I quit, but it's really beautiful and I wish started learning it earlier, I had the chance in elementary school but there weren't enough willing students to teach it to.
loststars
living flop

IckleMissMayhem wrote:
German is my 3rd language. There are rules it sorta/kinda follows... usually(!) But the cases come out to play and f**k everything up! :wtf: My German teachers at A Level both did Russian though, so were telling us we could have it so much worse!! :wtf:
Gendered speech/nouns didn't faze me, I just found it silly, apart from (for some reason) "das Kind" in German. Logically I know it shouldn't be masculine or feminine, but referring to a child as "it" (even as an abstract concept) never sits right with me!

English - native
Spanish - Is getting better - at least I hope it is, and my partner isn't just lying to me and laughing behind my back!! I would quite like to be able to understand and reply to his mother on the phone (going and meeting her is too scary a prospect to consider at the moment!)

Any kids unlucky enough to have my partner and I as parents (there's a scary thought!) are going to be raised OPOL from the get-go, as it's true it's easer to learn the younger you are.
Haha I know what you mean with the 'das Kind' :D Also wow, Arabic and Japanese! How even? :D

I wish I could practice my German, Spanish and learn Dutch at the same time but I cannot maintain them simultaneously .. ugh. I wish my memory was better so I could remember more of what I studied.
(c)itscomicdans
DryCereal
koi pond

loststars wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:

English - native

Haha I know what you mean with the 'das Kind' :D Also wow, Arabic and Japanese! How even? :D

I wish I could practice my German, Spanish and learn Dutch at the same time but I cannot maintain them simultaneously .. ugh. I wish my memory was better so I could remember more of what I studied.
Japanese - flatmate at Uni, asked me to go with her the spring holiday before her finals, so she could take more luggage back with her - I know, didn't make much sense to me either, til we got to Tokyo and found out her family were... erm, slightly more well-off than we'd assumed. ;)
Arabic - spent 8 months working in Oman training female sailing instructors a few years ago. Best job ever, would have stayed/gone back in a heartbeat if only they would have granted me an (extended) work visa. Le sigh.
Anonymousse
flower crown

IckleMissMayhem wrote: Japanese - flatmate at Uni, asked me to go with her the spring holiday before her finals, so she could take more luggage back with her - I know, didn't make much sense to me either, til we got to Tokyo and found out her family were... erm, slightly more well-off than we'd assumed. ;)
Arabic - spent 8 months working in Oman training female sailing instructors a few years ago. Best job ever, would have stayed/gone back in a heartbeat if only they would have granted me an (extended) work visa. Le sigh.
Dayyuuum

Living the life really *le sigh*

I'm so jealous. :shock:

- Manged

PolarFox
truth bomb

Anonymousse wrote: Mm, it really depends on how much you use that language on your free time. My Russian isn't very good because like a lot of brats where I live, I refused to learn it, because it was the "soviet" language. I have a lot of regret because of this because I love a lot of aspects about Russia and quite a few of my friends are Russian or Ukrainian decent.
Same with me, that's why I chose Spanish - but then my mates, who have Russian, speak almost fluently now just from the classes. And I would like to learn it to prepare for the time, when we'll bow to our russian overlords. (Not kidding, our president is up Putin's ass. Ugh. But then with that philosophy I should learn Chinese as well... Whew)
Anonymousse wrote: Edit: More on gendered language. I'm uber-sensitive towards trans people, but I tend to mix up "he" and "she" all the time. I have been "yelled at" at a... certain place... for doing it.
Oh mate... My native is gendered in like EVERY SINGLE ASPECT and I dread the day I meet non-binary person here. Like I tried to write a love story, that didn't specify gender of either character for my literature class and it was hard and it sounded slightly weird and off, since I had to use sooo many different terms for human and walk around it. Jesus. :?
I guess it kinda makes other gendered languages easier to learn (but then there are those things like in spanish "book" is male and in my native it's female. It's a bloody stash of papers tied together ffs)
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
Anonymousse
flower crown

PolarFox wrote: Oh mate... My native is gendered in like EVERY SINGLE ASPECT and I dread the day I meet non-binary person here. Like I tried to write a love story, that didn't specify gender of either character for my literature class and it was hard and it sounded slightly weird and off, since I had to use sooo many different terms for human and walk around it. Jesus. :?
I guess it kinda makes other gendered languages easier to learn (but then there are those things like in spanish "book" is male and in my native it's female. It's a bloody stash of papers tied together ffs)
I can very easily write a love story without using ANY gender... Heck, I could be dating someone for years, talking about that person and if I am a bit more careful, none would be the wiser.

I love it to be honest, It's very difficult to be gender neutral in English and that makes me a bit angry. And even the fact that I have to use the term "gender neutral" for language is foreign to me.

But I guess in some ways I am sort of tabula rasa here, when i learn gendered grammar because If i do memorize it, I tend not to mess it up.

- Manged

ironic
lady door

This language talk is very inspiring to be honest. I'd love to get back to learning German and/or French. I had 6 years of the first one in school but then decided to take up the second one instead (for 3 years in high school) and now I'm not good at any of them.
English always seemed relatively easy to me, the biggest trouble is my lack of confidence in using it. :oops: And as I mentioned before in some other thread I'm always confused with the commas. I need to finally change that.
Anonymousse wrote: It's very difficult to be gender neutral in English and that makes me a bit angry. And even the fact that I have to use the term "gender neutral" for language is foreign to me.
That's interesting! I find it much easier to be gender neutral in English than in my native language because
PolarFox wrote:My native is gendered in like EVERY SINGLE ASPECT
same. It can be really frustrating, I guess grammatically too for people trying to learn Polish (though it's probably not the trickiest thing about it), but mostly socially, for those who care.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.