Drawing Thread

CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

Do you like drawing? Are you an artist? Are you an aspiring artist? Would you like to give advice to aspring artists? Come join here!
...I just made this thread because I just got back into drawing, and need some tips... And that Phil is so effing hard to draw (or maybe it depends on the position of the face because it only took me an hour to draw Dan... badly, but still Dan).
helvetica
sofa crease

I'm pretty good at drawing! ask me for specific tips if you want
one tip: try gridding the photo you want to draw- and then draw it upside down.
this helps your eye not be fooled by what it want to draw.
manged
lady door

CallMeAyana wrote:And that Phil is so effing hard to draw (or maybe it depends on the position of the face because it only took me an hour to draw Dan... badly, but still Dan).
Artists say this all the time, but I personally find Dan a lot harder to draw accurately. One wrong stroke and he looks like a completely different person, while I find with Phil, even if I fuck up a little bit, the drawing still looks like Phil. I can draw Phil's face in half the time it takes to draw Dan.
But then, it could also be a style thing. I tend to aim for photorealism, but it might be different for other styles like manga or cartoon-ish. It's v interesting to me.
mio
#relatable

Nice thread. Mildly professional artsy person drawing fanart for fun here.

One of my favorite tips for drawing digitally that I found out about way too late:
If you can't make out what is wrong with your drawing, flip the canvas (the shortcut is H in sai, ctrl+H in photoshop afaik) or rotate it to some ridiculous angle and you will probably see what's up and can change it, like a scewed proportion or perspective. Works for me a lot of times especially with faces. Mostly I forget which way I intended the drawing to be in the first place bc I flip it around so much
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i'm..ok at drawing? i drew a lot when i was younger and wasn't so hard on myself. but now i draw a lot less now that i'm older and more hard on myself. i mostly draw dan and phil now or fan characters of mine. they're typically in a very simple style though. i have a hard time drawing phil though bc of the fringe being reversed and for some reason that's a difficult concept for me to grasp.
:transheart:
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon

helvetica wrote:I'm pretty good at drawing! ask me for specific tips if you want
one tip: try gridding the photo you want to draw- and then draw it upside down.
this helps your eye not be fooled by what it want to draw.
Oh! I've seen some people who uses gridlines when doing portraits, and I think I'll give it a go since... Ah... I'm bad at proportioning the face I still haven't tried drawing a portrait upside down, though. Thanks for the advice! I'll most likely try drawing upside down too since when I draw a portrait, I sometimes can't tell what's wrong with it
manged wrote:
CallMeAyana wrote:And that Phil is so effing hard to draw (or maybe it depends on the position of the face because it only took me an hour to draw Dan... badly, but still Dan).
Artists say this all the time, but I personally find Dan a lot harder to draw accurately. One wrong stroke and he looks like a completely different person, while I find with Phil, even if I fuck up a little bit, the drawing still looks like Phil. I can draw Phil's face in half the time it takes to draw Dan.
But then, it could also be a style thing. I tend to aim for photorealism, but it might be different for other styles like manga or cartoon-ish. It's v interesting to me.
Oh! I think it is a case of style. I think that Dan's face requires more softer lines than Phil (umm... I hope that makes sense), so I find him easier to draw, and maybe it because of Dan's face shape, in general? :?
mio wrote:Nice thread. Mildly professional artsy person drawing fanart for fun here.

One of my favorite tips for drawing digitally that I found out about way too late:
If you can't make out what is wrong with your drawing, flip the canvas (the shortcut is H in sai, ctrl+H in photoshop afaik) or rotate it to some ridiculous angle and you will probably see what's up and can change it, like a scewed proportion or perspective. Works for me a lot of times especially with faces. Mostly I forget which way I intended the drawing to be in the first place bc I flip it around so much
Oh! I still haven't tried this! I'll give this a try once I'll do a portrait again. Thank you for the advice!
Skylar wrote:i'm..ok at drawing? i drew a lot when i was younger and wasn't so hard on myself. but now i draw a lot less now that i'm older and more hard on myself. i mostly draw dan and phil now or fan characters of mine. they're typically in a very simple style though. i have a hard time drawing phil though bc of the fringe being reversed and for some reason that's a difficult concept for me to grasp.
Oh! I can actually relate to you with that one! I used to draw everyday when I was younger, and kinda... stopped? Because my "art teacher" never actually thought anything (or even gave tips for that matter :sideeye: ) Also... Same. I just find Phil harder to draw for some reason

Oh! I'm also watching a few YT art vids, and one of those said artist uses her finger to, like, smudge? (shade?) the shading of her drawings or something, and people berated her for it since... ah, like, the hands can be sweaty/oily or something... I actually noticed this when I'm shading sometimes because the shading will look very uneven?
mio
#relatable

CallMeAyana wrote: Oh! I'm also watching a few YT art vids, and one of those said artist uses her finger to, like, smudge? (shade?) the shading of her drawings or something, and people berated her for it since... ah, like, the hands can be sweaty/oily or something... I actually noticed this when I'm shading sometimes because the shading will look very uneven?
lol I remember that I've heard this a million times in school "you shouldn't smudge with your fingers that it's unprofessional" but honestly? in the real world nobody cares what technique you use. If you can handle the materials and it looks good in the end, all is fine. It might be a good tip for artists starting out, because you easily get the smudges everywhere and it's kinda harder to make it the drawing look crisp, but in the end it all comes down to personal taste and style
sorry for the rant I just feel passionate about these things and I'm amused by people acting like they know it all just because they remember a thing from art class
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
helvetica
sofa crease

for all you semi professional people with art jobs out there--what was your career path? do you enjoy it? I'm in high school rn and was wondering if I should persue an art career or not
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon

mio wrote:
CallMeAyana wrote: Oh! I'm also watching a few YT art vids, and one of those said artist uses her finger to, like, smudge? (shade?) the shading of her drawings or something, and people berated her for it since... ah, like, the hands can be sweaty/oily or something... I actually noticed this when I'm shading sometimes because the shading will look very uneven?
lol I remember that I've heard this a million times in school "you shouldn't smudge with your fingers that it's unprofessional" but honestly? in the real world nobody cares what technique you use. If you can handle the materials and it looks good in the end, all is fine. It might be a good tip for artists starting out, because you easily get the smudges everywhere and it's kinda harder to make it the drawing look crisp, but in the end it all comes down to personal taste and style
sorry for the rant I just feel passionate about these things and I'm amused by people acting like they know it all just because they remember a thing from art class
Yeah, I don't get it :/ Though, some people also pointed out how oily hands can sometimes be, so they don't prefer to do it :/
helvetica wrote:for all you semi professional people with art jobs out there--what was your career path? do you enjoy it? I'm in high school rn and was wondering if I should persue an art career or not
Yes, I'm also wondering about this. Currently, I'm studying the basics of programming, but will shift to another career after highschool, which I'm still pretty unsure about :/
mio
#relatable

helvetica wrote:for all you semi professional people with art jobs out there--what was your career path? do you enjoy it? I'm in high school rn and was wondering if I should persue an art career or not
(I did finish an apprenticeship in a traditional craft that's very artsy, and went on to study design which I still do)

I don't know about "real" art, although I know of a few people who do that as a job and it's hard to make a living from it unless you're one of the few ones who make it. A lot of people I know went to art school for the basics and later moved on to work in some area more "applied" where it's easier to earn actual money. I think that's a good compromise.

Also you can still work in a job you hate for the rest of your life, so better go study something you actually care about and try to find out what you want to do by trying lots of things meanwhile. It's hard to plan ahead anyway and almost nobody ends up where they thought they would in the beginning of their career. Don't limit yourself right after high school is all I'm saying

And about studying art: I'd say if you're really interested in your field and motivated enough to see yourself devoting hours every day practicing to get better, are not afraid to accept constructive criticism and can handle panicky last minute night shifts to finish projects in time, go for it!

If anyone needs help with portfolios for schools applications or so, feel free to pm me. I've done my share of those in my life
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
manged
lady door

Suh dudes. If anyone's interested, there's a new Phan Art Support Group on tumblr for artists in the phandom to meet, talk, and help each other out. It's still in its very early stages, but it could grow to be a cool resource for phan artists and phan art enthusiasts.
More info here: https://pasg-phanartsupportgroup.tumblr ... ts-are-you

#ad
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon

manged wrote:Suh dudes. If anyone's interested, there's a new Phan Art Support Group on tumblr for artists in the phandom to meet, talk, and help each other out. It's still in its very early stages, but it could grow to be a cool resource for phan artists and phan art enthusiasts.
More info here: https://pasg-phanartsupportgroup.tumblr ... ts-are-you

#ad
Ohmygods. Thank you for sharing this!