Dan and Phil political/social comments

A place to compile and archive information for reference/analysis.
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

anathema
morning quiff
Pronouns: she/her

I also tracked down the vyou where Dan talks about being agnostic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Kygz ... B1Nms/view

He doesn't actually say "agnostic" but that's what his views would be categorized under. Personally I always found what he said to be terribly misinformed though :lol: like, Dan, you do realize that science doesn't have to reject God? And vice versa? And Christianity isn't the idea that there's a God "judging you" :roll:
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
000dia000
emo goose

anathema wrote:
I also tracked down the vyou where Dan talks about being agnostic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Kygz ... B1Nms/view

He doesn't actually say "agnostic" but that's what his views would be categorized under. Personally I always found what he said to be terribly misinformed though :lol: like, Dan, you do realize that science doesn't have to reject God? And vice versa? And Christianity isn't the idea that there's a God "judging you" :roll:
As Dan mentioned he was raised by his Christian grandmother ( I'm speaking from personal experience from a similar situation, so I don't think this has much relation to what Dan may ACTUALLY feel but I thought that I might as well share.) He honestly seems to have been uncomfortable with being mindful of what may upset his conservative Grandmother and after a while changing behavior build resentment, which becomes targeted towards something like in Dan's case religion itself. While lack of scientific fact and God "judging you" may not seem like a good reason for dismissing it, in Dan's case it just may be a cover over various other reasons especially regarding any inhibitions he may have felt with his family.

He discusses his grandmother being horrified when he showed her Moulin Rouge here @4.00
and here mentioned that his Grandmother being upset that Dan on Sundays went to theatre instead of Church @1.41
I don't claim to know anything about what Dan actually feels. However I feel that a lot of the comments he made was just based around childhood experience with a religious guardian who we do not even know to what degree held religion above what Dan truly felt idk I just thought I would contribute that
:cactus:
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

To add a thing to the Christianity discussion, I was rewatching the Super Amazing Project the other day and the first episode of the third season really stood out to me. It was uploaded on September 24th, 2012.

So, at around 3:00 you have the Quirky Queation Questions segment which is a game with four rounds where Dan reads two creation myths and Phil (and the audience) has to guess which one is real and which one is made up by Dan. At the end, they talk about how all these myths are crazy and then they say this:

Dan: come on Christianity, you need to up your production budget!
Phil: At least.
Dan: [says something about how he expects "Bible 2" to contain a thing from a myth he's just read]
Phil: I heard they release Bible 2 in 3D... 4D... Ok I've offended everyone, sorry

I found it funny because Phil is clearly uncomfortable about it being possibly seen as offensive, but he still can't stop himself from making this joke. And it isn't something a religious persons would say, so whatever his background is I don't think he considered himself Christian in 2012.

Bonus re:opinions on politics, at 6:30 you have the scores for the game:
4/4 - supreme lord of the universe
3/4 - moderately intelligent human (what Phil got)
2/4 - slowly deflating beach ball
1/4 - Mitt Romney
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
anathema
morning quiff

coffeepenguin wrote:To add a thing to the Christianity discussion, I was rewatching the Super Amazing Project the other day and the first episode of the third season really stood out to me. It was uploaded on September 24th, 2012.

So, at around 3:00 you have the Quirky Queation Questions segment which is a game with four rounds where Dan reads two creation myths and Phil (and the audience) has to guess which one is real and which one is made up by Dan. At the end, they talk about how all these myths are crazy and then they say this:

Dan: come on Christianity, you need to up your production budget!
Phil: At least.
Dan: [says something about how he expects "Bible 2" to contain a thing from a myth he's just read]
Phil: I heard they release Bible 2 in 3D... 4D... Ok I've offended everyone, sorry

I found it funny because Phil is clearly uncomfortable about it being possibly seen as offensive, but he still can't stop himself from making this joke. And it isn't something a religious persons would say, so whatever his background is I don't think he considered himself Christian in 2012.

Bonus re:opinions on politics, at 6:30 you have the scores for the game:
4/4 - supreme lord of the universe
3/4 - moderately intelligent human (what Phil got)
2/4 - slowly deflating beach ball
1/4 - Mitt Romney
I wouldn't rule out Phil considering himself Christian in 2012 because he said that If he is Christian, he seems fairly lax about it, so I don't see why he would have a problem with saying that. (And, I mean, I'm Christian, but I think what he said was actually really funny, so ?). But I do find the jump cut right before he said that interesting. I wonder what was said, especially because whatever was cut out gave context to Phil saying "at least". (Also, 1/4 = Mitt Romney )
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
spider
ar·tic·u·late

DINOF I Nearly Blinded Myself

5:44 'Now in the U.K. despite various other fuck ups one thing we've definitely got right is free health care and there is a service where you can call a number to get free medical advice in situations that aren't necessarily an emergency.'
6:03 'Now I love this service ok don't get me wrong. I've used it before. It's very helpful. Protect the N.H.S. and all that.'
nephilimcat
woodland creature

I read this whole thread but I don't remember if anyone mentioned Phil talking about him using "girl" products in a liveshow:
2:16-2:45

I especially like him saying "It's all the same stuff, isn't it?
pulvis et umbra sumus
daphenaxa
blobfish

small roundup of recent Dan's live shows. Overall some common themes like Dan's feeling important debates are trolled by drama, uniformed opinions and distractions, the importance of facts over opinions, the importance and interest of politics itself:
3:02 joking about Trump winning the presidential debate
12:24 Dan's idea about fact checking the candidates statements during the debate + talking about the importance of politics and how politics is actually super interesting
31:31 Pumpkin spice/capitalism tangent "slave to brands"
58:47 Avatar the last airbender being quite progressive but still problematic on some parts
21:34 Brangelina split talk/celebrity culture
35:09 "Clinton is the less world destroying choice."
49:04 Australia being gender-roley/ stereotypically masculine
53:52 Do what you want with your identity online, be true to yourself
21:15 - Pepe story/white supremacy and the inaccuracy/non-professionalism of the media
21:16 "youtube is over party" public debates are ruined by uninformed opinions and drama
33:02 gender roles internalised
37:52 StandUp2Cancer white photoshoot
38:22 UK is a mess, US not much better
49:43 Black lives matter discussion/trolling and distraction polluting real debates
51:18 avoiding to talk about brexit referendum
51:42 the internet amplifying social issues talks, not necessarily good or bad
58:08 too many opinions not enough facts
50:50 he is super into political news since these American elections. Politics is our lives and our freedom. He wants to talk about it more but don't feel informed enough.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
parallel
phabergé

I can't find the liveshow in question but I remember Phil recommending some show or movie in a liveshow and mentioning that it had strong female characters. Does anyone else remember?
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

emerald wrote:I can't find the liveshow in question but I remember Phil recommending some show or movie in a liveshow and mentioning that it had strong female characters. Does anyone else remember?
Battlestar Galactica!

He talked about it in his October 2nd liveshow at around 23:00.
busy being happy~
fondsmiles
phabergé

Thanks everyone who contributed to this, I found it very interesting to read/watch up on it all!
I've always perceived Dan as opinionated and passionate about social issues and am glad to find here those little snippets combined (because it's true, he does seem to be very aware of the backlash his opinions can get and treats them really carefully). I wish there was more of Phil. I'd love also just to know if it's indifference, being wary of offending people, knowing his views are controversial, or something else. I'd be so interested in hearing his thoughts on social and political matters.

I looked for tweets of either one of them with the keywords 'voting', 'vote', 'voted' or 'election'. there's a bunch of things about awards and stuff obviously, but I also found those:
(i looked it up, May 5th of 2011 was actually an election in the UK)
I love that they both stated in earlier years that they'd gone voting, that makes me happy to know that they've cared enough already back then.
Especially happy made me Phil's tweet about the American election. It was his typical jokey way, but he does actually actively encourage people to vote, and that is something I value a lot.

I really, really hope they will encourage people to vote in the upcoming UK elections. I respect people not stating who they're going to vote for, there's many reasons for that and most of them I view as perfectly valid. But having such a big platform with such a big audience who would really be able to change something if they attended - it would be such a waste to not speak up and simply say, "hey, go vote, it's important. I will too." that's so simple. and so effective. I really, really hope they will do that.
(I know I will keep bugging them in tweets and stuff about it until election day, for sure)
(although it's probably too late when registration periods have already ended. oh well, it can still be important to some)
[x]
[x]
fondsmiles
phabergé

BLESS HIM BLESS HIM BLESS HIM
[x]
[x]
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

fondsmiles wrote:BLESS HIM BLESS HIM BLESS HIM
All of Dan's replies on that tweet:
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

I just wanted to add this to the discussion about Phil's religion. It's very flimsy evidence, and certainly proof of nothing in either direction, but I just found it interesting when I watched the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tVdiKBcQWY&t=313s

The bit starts at 1:34 and at minute 1:44, I thought at first that he said 'I know my religion.' Of course, even this does not prove anything, as people also say it about things over which they can have no personal ownership (eg. I know my maths.')to simply indicate that they know about a given subject. Having listened to it several times again, I think he acutally says 'I know about religion.' Nevertheless, it did start some interesting speculations in my head for a minute there.
I have my own opinions about what Phil's religious beliefs are, but I'm just curious what people think, so I'm not going to add it here.