danandphilshop merchandise questions and discussion

A place to compile and archive information for reference/analysis.
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

i thought it'd be handy to have a place where we can comment on and ask others about specifics of deppy's merch, quality, sizing etc. i know people often have questions before they buy, so here is a place to find answers to those questions.
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

How big are the backpacks? Can someone that has one actually post a picture with one full of stuff? I've only seen pictures of them empty.
basictrashfan
crusty sponge

alittledizzy wrote:How big are the backpacks? Can someone that has one actually post a picture with one full of stuff? I've only seen pictures of them empty.

Definitely seconding this. I'm contemplating buying the Dark Galaxy one and really want to know if it would be a good purchase. (So if someone could do that it would be really nice!)
hit me up on the tumbs
@basictrashfan
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

alittledizzy wrote:How big are the backpacks? Can someone that has one actually post a picture with one full of stuff? I've only seen pictures of them empty.
I have the Pixel people backpack. I have had it since 28/01/2015. It is still in good condition. I use it every single day for work and carry around my laptop every day. I also used it for hand luggage when I went to Florida in September.

I can fit in it every day:
In the laptop sleeve:
15" Hp laptop and my 7" tablet

In the main compartment:
Cable
Pencil case (pixel people because I like to match)
My Kate Spade large purse
Make up bag
Water bottle.

In the little pockets:
Tin of mints
my inhaler
Hairbrush
Sweeteners

Photos are underneath the spoilers as quite large. Please ignore my messy office floor!! :gg: :gg:

1) The bag from the front
2) The bag from the side.

3) The inside of bag. Hopefully it is light enough you to see it.
I have a lot of the merch (Jumpers, T-Shirts, Wristbands, stickers) so if you have any questions just ask.
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
lishachi
eclipse shirt

Kathrynxjane wrote:
I have the Pixel people backpack. I have had it since 28/01/2015. It is still in good condition. I use it every single day for work and carry around my laptop every day. I also used it for hand luggage when I went to Florida in September.

I can fit in it every day:
In the laptop sleeve:
15" Hp laptop and my 7" tablet

In the main compartment:
Cable
Pencil case (pixel people because I like to match)
My Kate Spade large purse
Make up bag
Water bottle.

In the little pockets:
Tin of mints
my inhaler
Hairbrush
Sweeteners

Photos are underneath the spoilers as quite large. Please ignore my messy office floor!! :gg: :gg:

1) The bag from the front
2) The bag from the side.

3) The inside of bag. Hopefully it is light enough you to see it.
I have a lot of the merch (Jumpers, T-Shirts, Wristbands, stickers) so if you have any questions just ask.
what are the jumpers and t shirts like? i'm usually UK 10 but usually get a M to be slightly oversized, are the fits oversized or like perfect?
:biflag: :blackheart:
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

Has anyone bought the galaxy sweater? I'm considering it, but 100% polyester sounds like it might be a bit sweaty and static-y? Is this the case? Will the sweater make my hair stand on end with static if I take it off?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Kathrynxjane wrote:
Thank you!!
apathy
sad dimple

BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:Has anyone bought the galaxy sweater? I'm considering it, but 100% polyester sounds like it might be a bit sweaty and static-y? Is this the case? Will the sweater make my hair stand on end with static if I take it off?
It's 100% comfy, in my opinion. I don't recall having static issues when I wore it, but that was only once so far. (And I got several compliments, which is rare.)
The inside is a white fleece-like texture and the outside is quite soft as well. It isn't as thick as generic sweatshirts which helps with not overheating.

I haven't washed it yet (ugh, laundry), but it says not to tumble dry, and I believe it.

Just as a note here for anyone like me who's used to throwing things in the dryer: watch the labels. The cotton t-shirts are NOT pre-shrunk and they will get smaller.

Also, I have a question too: if anyone has the keyring - the picture has Dan's hair going the wrong way, which bothers me a lot. :lol: Is that actually how it is, it's not just a photo error?
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
DeadlyNova
living flop

apathy wrote: Also, I have a question too: if anyone has the keyring - the picture has Dan's hair going the wrong way, which bothers me a lot. :lol: Is that actually how it is, it's not just a photo error?
His hair is going in the wrong way on the actual keyring too. :(

I've had it on my wallet for at least a year now, probably, and I never once realized it was the wrong way until you pointed it out. D:
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

apathy thanks for the answer! Not being able to tumble dry it would be annoying when I go back to uni and don't have much drying space, but 100% polyester would probably dry quite quickly so it wouldn't be too bad. It's annoying that they don't put the washing instructions on the website, most clothing sellers do.

Has anyone had the galaxy jumper long enough to wash it? Does it shrink or become more static-y?
apathy wrote:Just as a note here for anyone like me who's used to throwing things in the dryer: watch the labels. The cotton t-shirts are NOT pre-shrunk and they will get smaller.
I can second this. I got the Lion Pocket t-shirt and it shrank after the first wash. Fortunately it still fit because it was on the large side when I first got it, but I did like the looser fit :(
If you are buying a cotton t-shirt and are borderline between two sizes on the measurements chart I would recommend getting the larger size.

I got the shirt in the summer and they may have improved the design since then, but on the one I have the top of the pocket is not properly hemmed. The fabric is folded over and pressed down, and only sewn along the sides of the pocket. This is enough to make it look nice when it arrives, but after washing the extra fabric pops up and is visible above the line of the pocket. There really should be an extra line of stitching across the top of the outer pocket to hem it properly, but on the one I bought there isn't. This doesn't bother me too much, but if this will be annoying to you or trigger OCD then maybe buy something different. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who bought the lion or llama pocket t-shirt more recently to see if they have improved the design.
vincentian
hobbit hair

I'm probably the last person to get Deppy merch (can't believe I caved in ) but here is my galaxy t-shirt review. T-shirt size chart (XXS-XXL) is definitely for typically men's clothes, though obviously look at sizing in cm. The t-shirt is quite sticky and obviously not warm (polyester duh), but not uncomfortable to the skin and rather soft for synthetics, all stitches look well made, no sticking out threads, nicely done neck. It looks more cool purple (violet) & dusty black irl than on the shop preview and in videos, where it's more red/warmer wine colour & blue at the bottom. Haven't washed it yet.

I got size M definitely not just to compare how it would look on 5'4 size XS me vs 6'2 Phil lol. It's huuuge on me, but I'm gonna wear it with jackets, so it's fine. Pics for comparison below. :thumb:
lishachi
eclipse shirt

vincentian wrote:I'm probably the last person to get Deppy merch (can't believe I caved in ) but here is my galaxy t-shirt review. T-shirt size chart (XXS-XXL) is definitely for typically men's clothes, though obviously look at sizing in cm. The t-shirt is quite sticky and obviously not warm (polyester duh), but not uncomfortable to the skin and rather soft for synthetics, all stitches look well made, no sticking out threads, nicely done neck. It looks more cool purple (violet) & dusty black irl than on the shop preview and in videos, where it's more red/warmer wine colour & blue at the bottom. Haven't washed it yet.

I got size M definitely not just to compare how it would look on 5'4 size XS me vs 6'2 Phil lol. It's huuuge on me, but I'm gonna wear it with jackets, so it's fine. Pics for comparison below. :thumb:
oooooh i shouldn't buy it but i wanna. btw it looks nice on you! im 5'3 and a S, i quite like oversized stuff so maybe i should get a Medium...
weird that it's cooler irl? i like it tho, much prefer it to the warmth of the photos.
:biflag: :blackheart:
vincentian
hobbit hair

lishachi wrote:oooooh i shouldn't buy it but i wanna. btw it looks nice on you! im 5'3 and a S, i quite like oversized stuff so maybe i should get a Medium...
weird that it's cooler irl? i like it tho, much prefer it to the warmth of the photos.

Thanks! I’d suggest maybe an S (cause it’s men’s chart S) – it’ll still be quite oversized but less static-y because of less loose material. I also prefer the cooler purple, I think they might’ve increased warmth&saturation for website pics or the shade can vary?
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

so i'm planning to get the blossom japhan t shirt on the merch site and the phanplosion phone case, can anyone tell me which size you think would fit on an ipod 6?

also i feel special bc like, back in 2012 they didn't have an official shop, only districtlines so i got this nice purple llama explosion t shirt of dan it doesn't fit me anymore though sadly :( i still have my llama hat though!
:transheart:
japanophil
tol bean

IRL Store’s tweet about convention and pastel merch has reminded me to come out of lurkdom and share my very frustrating experience with the Australian danandphilshop.

Dec 17, 2016: ordered & paid A$63.97 (inc. postage) 1 Oz Tour Sweater Dark Grey, size S
The tour sweatshirt I’d bought at tatinof was M (my usual size from the d&p shop UK) had been HUGE, so I’d decided to go a size down.

Jan. 11: received parcel, turned out to be a black long-sleeved Tshirt (thin cotton). This was disappointing, but at least it was something different and I was resigned to being somewhat ripped-off. Unfortunately, it was also TINY, so I decided to exchange for a size M.

Jan 12: I sent the shirt back (another A$15) as per instructions on the au.danandphilshop website.

Jan 13 – Mar 15: series of emails from me trying to chase up the exchange and a truly impressive display of silence punctuated by various excuses and promises to “look into it”, which I’ll put under a spoiler.
Jan 13: reply from au.danandphilshop
“We will be happy to exchange this for you. Unfortunately we are completely sold out of medium sweaters and will not be restocking.
We can exchange this with a large if you would like.”

Jan 17: I agreed to exchange for size L, but inform them I have not yet received confirmation that they have received my returned item.

Jan 23: au.danandphilshop tell me they will follow it up.

Feb 1: I email them again, as I have heard nothing.

Feb 8: I email them again, as I have still heard nothing.

Feb 13: I receive what seems to be a generic email, saying they’ve just noticed they haven’t replied to any emails for 21 days :wtf: :
“Dear Customer,
It has come to our attention that a number of customer order enquiries have gone without response over the last 21 days. We sincerely apolgise to all customers who have not been contacted with regards your enquiries. This customer service breakdown was specific to the Australian shop.
We are currently working through all enquiries as a matter of urgency to discern which enquiries have gone unanswered.
We will be contacting all customers who have not as yet received a response within the next 24 hours to discuss your specific enquiry.
We would like to assure all customers that we have taken steps to rectify the problem and ensure this lapse will not occur again. We very much appreciate your ongoing support of the Dan and Phil shop and look forward to providing wonderful Dan and Phil merchandise with A grade service.”

Feb 14: au.danandphilshop finally reply:
“Thank you for your email and sorry for the delay in replying. Let me chase this up for you and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.”

Feb 15: from au.danandphilshop:
“I have chased this up for you and requested that it re sent to you. Please let me know if you still do not receive it.
Many thanks and apologies again for the delay.”

I wait patienty… nothing.
Mar 15: I email again, to say I haven’t received my item. I also send a separate email to IRL Digital Ltd, requesting assistance as I have received no response from au.danandphilshop.

Coincidentally ? a few hours later I receive:
“We sent out a second package on the 15th of February and it appears that it ahs [sic] been delivered.
Can I confirm your address as …”

I confirmed the address and pointed out that I had not received any delivery. At least I received an immediate reply:
“I will request this to be expressed out to you urgently. You will receive a tracking number shortly.”

Mar 20: I email to say I have received neither parcel nor tracking number.

Mar 21: I receive the tracking number.

Mar 24: The parcel arrives, it is the exact SAME item I’d returned for exchange!! :wtf: I report unsatisfactory customer service to IRL Digital with an outline of the unsuccessful exchange process.

Mar 27: au.danandphilshop reply:
"I can only apologise for your inconvenience`regarding this matter. I will look into what happened here and speak to our warehouse to ensure it does not get repeated.
I will ask the warehouse to send out the item in Large. I will also send out a returns envelope so that you can return the incorrect item at not cost to yourself.”

I replied, asking for a tracking number.

Mar 29: they send a tracking number and an hour later:
“Unfortunately I have to apologise again.
I can't apologise enough, as I have just heard from our warehouse that they have given me the wrong tracking number and that the item is in fact out of stock. I can only apologise again for this matter. Rest assured that my manager is having stern words with the warehouse regarding this matter as it is completely unacceptable. I don't understand the issues here but we will get to the bottom of it and ensure it doesn't happen again.
The only item I can offer now as an alternative is the short sleeve Oz Tour TShirt in Large or XL.”

I am not interested in their poor management practices and am not impressed with their offer of a T-shirt worth about half the value of my original order (especially as it was during their “20% off SWAGLORD” sale).

Mar 30: I send IRL Digital, copied to au.danandphilshop, another complaint of unacceptable service, requesting a refund and a return envelope for the shirt. Also that I am prepared to lodge a formal complaint with Consumer Affairs and Fair Trade.

Immediate reply to say they will refund, send a return envelope and look into what went wrong. Also a $20 voucher off my next purchase.

I told them (& IRL Digital) I’ll return the shirt once the refund is processed and the return envelope received. Also told them again that I was not interested in their poor management practices, nor was I tempted to ever have dealings with them again.

Mar 31: received confirmation of refund and that they would not inconvenience me further by making me send the shirt back.

Sorry for the very long post, but it was truly the worst online shopping experience I’ve ever had, so do be cautious if ordering from them. I’ve ordered several times from the UK store and service has always been excellent. Ok, back to lurkdom.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

japanophil, wow, that's a horrible sequence of events :(

I've only ever ordered d&p merch once online, and that was in Jan when they were having their HAPPY2017 sale. I got the dark galaxy backpack from the Aus shop (after comparing the price with the UK shop and finding that the prices were basically the same). Didn't get any shirts or jumpers, and it seems I dodged a bullet by doing so. I didn't have any problems with either the service or the bag I got.

But, I'm not really sure why they have an Aus shop if the prices are basically the same ... if shipping were cheaper I would consider buying from the closer shop more worthwhile, but since they charged me $10 to ship a bag from Sydney to Melbourne I might as well buy from the UK, unless the conversion rates become much worse. The only benefit seems to be the delivery speed, and perhaps the customer service, since the selection of merch in the UK shop is much bigger.

The bag is great: sturdy and comfortable, and I like the non-conspicuous design. I wore my d&p aus tour shirt to uni twice and both times a fellow deppy fan commented on it, but no one's ever noticed the bag. Probably a good thing since wearing the bag and the shirt at the same time must make me look like such a nerd
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Have they ever done clothes for children? My daughter loves the boys and I'm thinking of getting her a shirt. If they had done kid clothes, I might stalk ebay.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote:Have they ever done clothes for children? My daughter loves the boys and I'm thinking of getting her a shirt. If they had done kid clothes, I might stalk ebay.
They haven't, pretty much all the stuff they've ever done is on the current site, except for their previous District Lines shop.

I can also attest to the backpack being a normal decent backpack size and sturdy. I managed to stuff it with clothes for a weekend (as I tend to do for short trips) and it held up fine (I also use it every day, but with less inside). I just love the dark galaxy design, it reminds me of a galaxy cake full of stars.

I did have a blip with them sending me the blue and red one by mistake the first time and when I bought the plushies they weren't finished perfectly (one of Phil's sleeve hems is partly undone and I sewed up Dan's hand that was split open), but they goodwill-refunded me £5 for that. I sent back a few tops that didn't suit me (cherry blossoms and galaxy) and those returns went through fine.

I've also bought two tshirts, calendars, a poster and the stationery set all on different orders and they were all just fine (all UK shop, btw). I bought the stationery set for the pencil case and was surprised it's a bit small, doesn't fit a long sharpened pencil inside, but it's well-made and I love the galaxy design. Designing it that size is down to Spiral, though, and the set, like the backpacks, costs the same as any of their others.
airie
tol bean

Hi! I have a question- does anyone have any idea whether the dogs calendar can still be ordered throughout 2018, or at least the beginning of 2018? Like, based on this year's calendar? I suppose it can but the shop says the calendar will be shipped on December 15, so I'm just worried it will be the last ever shipment of it, or something. I've tried contacting the shop but got no reply so far, I mean it's not a really important question so.

Also do they generally have an end-of-year sale? Christmas sale of some sort? I wasn't here last year and would like to reduce the price as much as possible since the shipping cost alone would be very high to Southeast Asia :lol: thank you!
fancybum
senpai

airie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:41 am Hi! I have a question- does anyone have any idea whether the dogs calendar can still be ordered throughout 2018, or at least the beginning of 2018? Like, based on this year's calendar? I suppose it can but the shop says the calendar will be shipped on December 15, so I'm just worried it will be the last ever shipment of it, or something. I've tried contacting the shop but got no reply so far, I mean it's not a really important question so.

Also do they generally have an end-of-year sale? Christmas sale of some sort? I wasn't here last year and would like to reduce the price as much as possible since the shipping cost alone would be very high to Southeast Asia :lol: thank you!
Yup last year's calendar was available through most of the year and just gets discounted more and more throughout the months. I think last I noticed it (maybe in October?) it was down to like £1.50. So I have no doubt you'll be able to order it in early 2018 and later, no worries there! (I think 'ships on Dec 15' just means they've sold out their initial stock and won't have more available to send out until the 15th, so it's just a warning for anybody expecting earlier delivery? Would that make sense? That's a total guess, but whatever the reason, there's no way they won't have plenty available in the months to come. It's phan and dogs!). Not sure about any kind of year-end sale though; they just had a big sale to clear out all the pixel merch and older designs, but if you're looking at the galaxy/japhan stuff, I don't know.. But if you're not in a rush to order, just wait and see. Maybe they'll do like a New Years discount code or something? :shrug:
Oh wait, Boxing Day is a thing! Maybe they'll have some deals right after Christmas :ravetree:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
airie
tol bean

fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:30 am Yup last year's calendar was available through most of the year and just gets discounted more and more throughout the months. I think last I noticed it (maybe in October?) it was down to like £1.50. So I have no doubt you'll be able to order it in early 2018 and later, no worries there! (I think 'ships on Dec 15' just means they've sold out their initial stock and won't have more available to send out until the 15th, so it's just a warning for anybody expecting earlier delivery? Would that make sense? That's a total guess, but whatever the reason, there's no way they won't have plenty available in the months to come. It's phan and dogs!). Not sure about any kind of year-end sale though; they just had a big sale to clear out all the pixel merch and older designs, but if you're looking at the galaxy/japhan stuff, I don't know.. But if you're not in a rush to order, just wait and see. Maybe they'll do like a New Years discount code or something? :shrug:
Oh wait, Boxing Day is a thing! Maybe they'll have some deals right after Christmas :ravetree:
Thank you so much!! :happytears: Was a bit very worried there, that cleared things up :)
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I'm just coming here to say that I have just ordered my THIRD glittery rucksack because the material is so cheap it keeps splitting - has anyone else had an issue?

My first one, the stitching around the zip split after using it for 3 days. I complained and after about a month of me tweeting and emailing whilst they ignored me they kindly sent me a replacement. I didn't use the new one for over 5 months because I wasn't going travelling and I don't need a rucksack for day to day use. I finally took it out of the wrapping last weekend as I was going away and the bloody strap is completely torn, I didn't realise until after I was packed and rushing out the door so had no time to change it. I held it together with some safety pins but I am pissed off about it. I was going to complain again but seeing as it has been months since they sent it, I have no proof that I haven't been using it. I ordered another one, which arrived yesterday. I have literally checked every single thing to make sure that it's going to be usable and finally one that looks okay, third time lucky.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I have a dark galaxy backpack that i got in January 2017 and I've used it every day since (it was shipped from Florida--could that matter?). Anyway, it's been holding up quite well: it arrived in good shape and nothing has been coming apart since. The one thing that annoys me--and I don't know whether it's a design flaw or a manufacturing issue with my particular one--is that it usually tips over onto its face (the side with the exterior pocket) regardless of how full it is.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Damn, that’s crap, missemma. I guess the glitter makes it stiffer? I have the dark galaxy one and used it daily for a few months, just going to work, but it wasn’t often very full. I took it away with me too so it got stuffed full then and it’s still mostly fine, but I can see where it’s starting to wear, it’s a slightly thinner material compared to other backpacks I’ve had, though I think an Eastpak one is similar and has a hole in, but others have been thicker and stronger.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

How long does it take from ordering to receiving a tracking number? In the USA. I bought from the US shop and it's been radio silence since.