New York - Beacon Theatre - 3rd May

missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

BUY TICKETS

Are you going to this date? Want to meet up with others? Post below and we will edit the first post with a list of people attending.

We want to hear all your reviews and opinions from this date. Seen a photo from the m&g you want to discuss, go ahead, we love a good discussion.

A few things:
- This forum is public, which means anyone can see information you post.
- If you are meeting up with others, please make sure you do this in a safe way. Make sure you know who you are meeting with beforehand, and do this in an open, safe place. Perhaps even Skype before to ensure your safety.
- If you are posting spoilers, please do so behind the spoiler tag.

Enjoy x

Attending:
Human
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
human
dan hand trash

Boom boom boom shake the room. Me!
kusunoki masashige
butt chair

What do you think this means? I hope they aren't planning on filming a lot for the DVD or whatever tonight, there might be even less m&g-guests and more empty seats today, considering yesterday was the date they added afterwards and todays show was the original one all that bots-bought-all-tickets drama was about.
DryCereal
koi pond

Fontao Inc - apparently is events management company based/registered in Staten Island. If the poster/notice is outside the venue it could just be so they can park their vehicles close by outside... Maybe not necessarily filming related...? IDK.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
blueapple_x
flower crown

They were apparently filming in central park yesterday so I'd say this sign is probably cuz they're filming for the tour dvd

Where was this sign? Outside the venue?

I wonder why they didnt seem to film as much for the UK tour
jess
living flop

Looks like that's from near the venue (I see barricades)? If so, I'm guessing they might have just had to get permission to film in the street around the venue (i.e. the venue exiting shots) because NY laws on filming are no joke.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Dan is such a cute dork.
aralik
sad dimple

SquishPhan wrote:Dan is such a cute dork.
i know he wears that jacket like all the time but damn he hawt!
i'm thirsty af for some content, these m&g photos/videos are becoming like a torture rather than thirst quenchers :shock:
ugh.
DryCereal
koi pond

Like a kid on Christmas morning...
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

These are great. I have a new favorite. Hint: it's the second pic.
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

the tutu's loll
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Some more good ones.
majitzu
angel bean

Phil looks better.
corn flakes
moon room

Yes,love the last one where Dan's hand is like a kitten paw

Also the tutu one.

EDIT:

Bold girl(as audacious), her hand is also near the neck
Last edited by corn flakes on Tue May 03, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
SquishPhan
capita£ester

daphenaxa
blobfish

my highly uninteresting contribution to this, DAN is so BEAUTIFUL :cry: bye
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

majitzu wrote: Phil looks better.
that girl slays the leaning-back-crouch pose lmao

Yeah Phil looks like Phil again nothing to make you realise how deep in their asses you are than for the bubbly one to go off colour for a day or two and you genuinely worry about him :?

Also Phil came to work to play today, he's kicking asses and taking names on these poses and set-ups. That eyebrow arch up there ^^^ and the sass in his tutu is just breathing life into my cold dry content-drought-addled soul.

Do more Philip. I like it.

Just to give Dan his dues he's really mastered that closed-eye smile when people smush his face. Cute isn't a word I throw around easily but fuck it he looks cute as fuck and its weird cos I wanna squidge his face but at the same time I want to do unspeakable things to him like what's up with that
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

This is the reality
There is a beautiful reenactment by our lovely emma on her tweet, I deleted the tweet when I realised she did not disclose her tweet handler here oops :facepalm:
starlight-still
truth bomb

[offtopic]So I crept up to this show like
[/offtopic]
Long story short, I have tickets for my local show but happened to be visiting NYC this week, the stars aligned and I ended up with very, very inexpensive orchestra seats to tonight's show.

Now for thoughts and observations. I'm writing this all before diving into every else's reflections so these are my untainted opinions.

Longish review/reflections (w/ spoilers) under the cut.
First, the staff. Imo, the venue staff seemed a bit frustrated with the uncontained pandemonium that is thousands of very excited youngsters descending on a Broadway theater. For instance, when I got to the door, the usher was like "I suggest you bring ear plugs" but not in a joyful "aw, isn't it great they're enjoying the work though" way...it was more like "I'm at my wits end with these screaming girls.” It's hard to explain, you could just sort of sense this tension? I hope other venues are faring better. The two-night set up seems particularly rough on venue staff.

I admit, this made me chuckle: As I was leaving, these parents were like (heavy NY accent) "We're glad you had a nice time but we don't want to hear any more about Dan and Phil on the way home!" Echoing the sentiment of parents through the ages re: the latest matinee idol/ boy band/teen sensation.

Brigade of parents waiting outside as the ushers desperately tried to get them to leave. I suppose for many in the audience this was their first live alone and that in itself is great. I'm all for cultivating a passion for live performance from a young age and that step of independence in choosing what you see means a lot. I hadn't thought about that aspect of what Dan and Phil and doing but there you go. Makes me more for them in doing the tour.

The show itself:
- It all comes down to this: I wanted more of *them* in it. Audience participation is nice but it took over too much of the show imo. It muddled the through line/narrative too much. Revenge!Dil was freaking hilarious- they could've turned it up to 11 and made it much more sinister- they know they've got it in them.

- They cleaned it up because parents understandably but so much of what works about them is that edginess. Expletive-less Dan? Innuendo-less Phil? Who are these people and what have they done with our Youtubers? That being said, when they did "go there" it was majorly cringe, especially since the dad next to me would immediately nudge his daughter for an explanation.

- ngl, between the staff's apparent frustration, the parents' bafflement, and being on my own in a sea of teenagers I felt a bit awkward. The experience overall, imo, is geared more towards the younger crowd (with good reason). I put on my much-scholar, very dissertation face a few times to make it less so, lol. My advice to fellow middle-aged nose perverts is this: find a buddy. If Dan and Phil have taught us anything it's that being awkward is much, much more fun when you're with a friend. So drag that hubby or wifey or bestie or partner-y or new pal you met online and have a blast letting it all hang loose together!

- What I read in a few spoiler-avoidy reviews before seeing it said parents loved it as much as the kids, but I kinda got the sense that many were simply baffled by their kids'… let's just say… earnest investment. That being said, I was sitting behind one dad who chuckled as much as his daughter and even helped her take some cheeky selfies during the final song and dance number and next to another dad who fiddled on his phone the whole time and gave his daughter curious glances at certain parts (e.g.- fan fiction live time).

- Stage presence: Can I just say…Dan is so…freaking…charismatic and, damn, is he handsome in person. I get it now, Dan peeps, I get it. His stage training serves him well and he’s excellent throughout, but he really shines in his independent support group segment. Phil seemed less comfortable and perhaps is just better with video and film as a medium, especially the design/visual stuff (which I’m glad he got to showcase a little in his segment). So much of the strength of his style is in his facial expressions and eyes, which you just don't see unless you're very close to the front. I especially missed his mugging when he was the Amazing Phil. I will say he seemed to play to the house/was considerate of those in the "cheap seats" (in fact, I almost wish I was up there since he kept waving there but not to the darkened back of the orchestra where I was :( …y’all who got serenaded by Phil I'm so jealous :D ).

- Favorite humorous moment: “Do the dishes or…do the dishes!”

- Favorite touching moment: when Dil was like "Phil, you don’t think you’re good enough...but look how many people love you for you!" Real moment of honest reality right there. We you as you are, Philly.

- Random cultural note: the ‘drink of your people’- those giant cans of drinks from 7 Eleven and what have you are very specific to the South/states where it gets hot as Hades in summer. I knew about it from Texas so I chuckled but it went above most New Yorkers’ heads…and probably the same for many of the other stops on the tour.

- Overall, I'm very glad I went. It made me appreciate and understand them more as artists. They've pushed themselves in creating this thing and translating it into the gift to the fans that it is. At one point, Dan said something like "I love my audience...thank you all for coming" and it was one of the sincerest, most heartfelt things I've heard him say. And that's what it's all about.
Non-spoiler comments: I'm glad to see Phil looking better in today's M&G photos. I think we middle aged nose perverts should especially #prayforphilsnose.

Now I'm off to finally see what everyone else has been saying about TATINOF!
majitzu
angel bean

Thanks, i didn't expect any review of this show so this was a pleasant surprise.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

thanks starlight I love your insight on the environment Thanks for sharing :platonic:
blueapple_x
flower crown

Thank you for your review starlight-still!

It was refreshingly different to read a review that shared some criticism on the specific aspects that I was always (and still am, tbh) apprehensive about before even buying a ticket.

With that said, I'm looking forward to seeing them on stage to witness the whole performance from start to finish instead of looking at blurry spoiler videos.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Thank you for the review starlight-still, nice to get different perspective on things.
starlight-still
truth bomb

You're welcome, glad I could offer some insight into the live experience! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else's experience is like for the rest of the tour, and I still have my second date coming up later this month so it'll be interesting to see how that experience compares to this one.

Now that I've had a restful night's sleep, I've been thinking about what a challenging task it is to translate the whole internet lives of into a PG-rated live show that parents can attend with their kids. I wonder if some of the parents who were arching eyebrows would become just as enamored as their kids if they saw the videos...I suspect more than a few. Parents were young at some point too and as for the nerdy/sometimes strange stuff, they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree :-D I suspect some of those parents who let their kids go on their own (probably what mine would have done if I were a preteen or teen, tbh) wanted to give them space to enjoy what may not necessarily be something you want to be sitting next to mom and dad for rather than complete lack of interest.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know who designed the sets for the show? Because
smarties
glabella

Thank you starlight-still for the review...

You confirmed my thoughs about what will the parents think about the show...
Probably they "could" like it but with all the screaming, madness and references to deppy world and internet culture in general it's hard to tell, even if I'm sure funny moments for them too....

Btw, every review I read just increase my desire to go see the show! #europeantourplease
starlight-still wrote: On an unrelated note, does anyone know who designed the sets for the show? Because
The set designer is this guy on twitter http://twitter.com/jturnerdesign
Last edited by smarties on Wed May 04, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.