This post has info on:
> Dan & Phil pet background
> Dan & Phil talking about getting a dog in 2015 - a timeline of how the obsession started
> Dogs dogs dogs dogs dogs
Important note before we start!
Phil is allergic to cats.
Dan is a dog.
First dog, half sheepdog half bearded collie - Bangy (male) Not a very well-behaved dog but Dan loved it and it got really old, a whooping 19 years of age. Born in 1990 or 1991 (i.e. around the same time as Dan) and died when Dan was a teenager. In his DML video Dan says Bangy died in 2011 but it actually happened in 2010, as we know because he tweeted about it. Under the cut is a tiny collection of Dan's tweets about Bangy.
- There's a picture of Phil skyping with the dog in 2009
- Bangy features briefly in his New Years Resolution Fail video as Dan tries to get him to play DDR
- He talks about Bangy in a Vyou from 2011
- In 2013 Dan talks about Bangy in a liveshow
- Dan mentions Bangy twice in his DML: first time, second time]
Hamster, Suki (female), that he got when he was about 12-13, he loved it and spent all his money on it, but it eventually escaped and disappeared
- Dan talking about Colin
- Dan's picture posts with Colin under the cut below:
Also, Dan's brother had a spotted leopard gecko called Sasha and a tank of orange poison dart frogs, "my brother's really cool actually" - Dan talks about it in this Vyou from 2011.
Here's a photo of the leopard gecko:
Phil's grandparents had a golden retriever-looking dog named Bundle [picture from Tabinof] [Phil's reaction to seeing Bundle in his childhood video]. Phil wanted a dog for himself but his parents said no [source]. Instead he had a lot of other smaller animals like hamsters and fish.
Rabbit, black and white - Holly - Lived in the house like a dog. Phil reacts to Holly in his childhood video.
Hamsters - (names) (info from Tabinof)
School hamster - Terry - When Phil was in year 5 they had a classroom hamster at his school, that Phil was allowed to bring home with him for a holiday. The hamster died on the first night. [Phil telling this story at 1:37:05]
Fish - Jackie Chan - Phil talking about the fish dying
Fish - Frank - Phil had a gold fish that lived for 16 years, he announced that it had died in December 2016.
Shrimp - Simon - One Christmas Phil got a grow your own triopses kit as a gift. When he grew them he also got shrimp, the most notable shrimp being one named Simon. Phil chronicled Simon's entire life on his Youtube channel, from birth to falling in love to death: Playlist of every Youtube video Simon appeared in
The Dog Talk Timeline of 2015
- July 5th - First dog mention came from Phil. He starts talking about how great Lewis Hamilton's dog is and says he'd "like to own a dog" [15:16]. He then goes on about dogs for quite a while.
- July 27th - Dan and Phil visit Catrific and play with her dogs.
- July 27th (LA timezone) - Dan tweets: "ugh i want a dog somebody mail me a shiba inu"
- August 2nd - Phil again. Recently met Catrific's dogs for the first time. Says he doesn't have the time to look after a dog. [4:12] He'd like to have a dog sometime (and a cat too but he's allergic). [25:10]
- August 4th - Dan. The chat is asking him about dogs. "One day I will get the dog. I fucking love dogs." Pets and children are good for mental health because they make you happy. [17:46] Chat: “Phil doesn’t want a dog I’m ashamed.” Dan: “He doesn’t want a dog now NeonHowlter, I’m sure he’s up for a shibe at some point, or whatever kinda dog Phil would like in his future life.” [41:42]
- August 11th - Dan. Chat: "Get a house, and a dog!" Dan: "Probably, one day. Inevitable, I'd like to think." [26:10] Chat: "Just get a dog already." Dan: "One day. [Laughs] One day." [46:58]
- August 18th - Dan. “Just get a dog already.” “One day, Rebecca. One day!” [32:48] “Get a dog” “Soon” [33:19] “Dogs, are you kidding me?” “I’m not kidding you, I’m incredibly serious.” [34:16] “Really Dan, dogs?” “Obviously. It’s like… everything I know.” [52:58]
- August 25th - Dan, the Ribena Liveshow. Says he appreciated the sense of humour in the get a dog hashtag for his 5 mil milestone [21:07]. Would love to get a dog but doesn't intend on getting one, "because I'm not a functional person, I can’t even look after myself". Shiba inu a particularly difficult breed of dog. “I know I would be getting a dog to fill a hole.” "It's like when you try to save a relationship by getting a child." [27:00]
- Nov 14th - Joint liveshow. Chat: "Your future dog will have long legs." Phil: "Why?" Dan: "Because we have long legs?" Phil: "Maybe." <-- I love how they just accepted that "you" as plural.
- Nov 28th - Phil. Can't get a real dog, can't look after himself, let alone a hound. A big responsibility and right now he can't. One day. One day he'd like one. [37:59]
- Jan 5th 2016 - Dan. Launches into an extensive rant about wanting a dog, wanting to make impulsive decisions, wanting to change things "so many things" about his life. [25:34]
2017 Update - Current Dog Status:
Dog breedsPhil: Unfortunately we're still renting. The dream- It's dead for now.
Chat: When will you get a dog?
Phil: One day.
Dan: Well- well, when a house is bought, I guess.
Phil: I'd quite like to get a fish.
Phil's said twice he wants a husky:
- Phil Lester, 2012"Because they're the best kind of dawg."
- Phil Lester & Dan Howell 2013 (1:38:00)Phil: "I've been thinking if I get a dog, I'd want a husky."
Dan: "I'd want... what's that dog that looks like a wolf?"
Phil: "A husky!"
Dan: "Is that a husky? I'd get that."
In 2016 Dan listed his Top 3 Dogs as:
- shiba inu "think I'd get a shibe"
- corgi "epic", "great", "underrated", "wonderful"
- pug or pomeranian or one like Gabe the Dog "to be honest I really love small dogs"
[link to where he talks about this]
Picture collection of D&P with dogs