Dan & Phil Part 58: Come in my lady door

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
anenergetic
spork
Pronouns: he/him

I'm still hoping for In a Heartbeat :love2: no matter how unlikely it is.

I feel like he wouldn't have specified the tree if it didn't have anything to do with their rewind clip...

But then again that's probably just my Phan goggles.

Edit: Top of page! An honour, sorry for my silly post.
gay :prideflag:
sunshinias
spork
Pronouns: she/her

anenergetic wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:41 am I'm still hoping for In a Heartbeat :love2: no matter how unlikely it is.

I feel like he wouldn't have specified the tree if it didn't have anything to do with their rewind clip...

I think Dan specified the tree because it was a nice, aesthetic background in his pictures and maybe the reason he took them.

And, personally, I don't think Deppy would feel comfortable doing In A Heartbeat. But who knows :shrug:
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
anenergetic
spork

Also, I'm hoping that when they tour they come back to Canada! They've only been here once, and they only went to Toronto!
:cheer: :please:
anenergetic
spork

sunshinias wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 am
anenergetic wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:41 am I'm still hoping for In a Heartbeat :love2: no matter how unlikely it is.

I think Dan specified the tree because it was a nice, aesthetic background in his pictures and maybe the reason he took them.

And, personally, I don't think Deppy would feel comfortable doing In A Heartbeat. But who knows :shrug:
True, hadn't thought about that. Ever since the baking vid I've been constantly sporting the goggles oops. :phangoggles2: :phangoggles:

Side note, the emotes are incredible.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

I love how the one time I just wanted to just take a break from being heavily involved in fandoms for a month is the one time everything is thrown at me like this gif:
First of all, Holy shit, the baking video. I don't know what I was expecting, but that was more than what I was expecting. Though I fully agree, nothing will ever beat monster pops for me!!
Second of all, the idea of deppy going on another tour??? I'm all in for this. I do agree that I hope they go to more places than just where they have gone, it would be great for the fans in other countries! And I hope they come up with a great idea for whatever they do!
THIRD, THE CALANDER OH MY GOD :love1: <3 that is the cutest thing I've ever fucking seen. I don't think I've ever order something so fast from Dan and Phil!!! I've never even had an advent calander before but I ordered that too! I cannot wait for their behind the scenes video tommorow, I love dogs. And I love deppy. Put those two together and well... :happytears:

Also speaking of the d&p shop, I don't know why but it's always cheeper for me to order from worldwide site than the USA one? And sometimes they give me even more of a discount when I go to check out? For example the calander is listed as £9.95 but when I go to confirm checkout, it's listed as £8.32? Does anyone know why that is? I mean I'm not complaining but it's just really weird?
Also the other reason I like the worldwide shop vs the USA shop is because of a really bad experience I had with them.
I had ordered a mug and shirt. Apparently, To save a box it seems, they wrapped the shirt around the already trippled bubbled wrap mug which made the shirt be extremely wrinkled and my receipt was crumbled and had smeared ink all over it. Never again after that. And the shipping took almost twice as long as anything from the worldwide shop. It was weird. I didn't email anyone about it because I kinda knew there wasn't much they could do and nothing was really extremely ruined. I just didn't like how it was thrown together, imo.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
autumnhearth
senpai

Reizam wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 pm Also as quoted from the newsletter:

http://mailchi.mp/danandphilshop/dan-an ... ab1055949d
In the style of awkward family photos and 80’s pet photo shoots we have actually made a whole calendar with not 1, not 2, but 12 different types of dogs! All with a strong aesthetic theme for each month of the year.
So yeah... to all those getting couples Christmas card vibes, there's that.
Whatever they need to tell themselves us.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

my dad was a saint and he ordered me the calendar! i almost /never/ use calendars, but i'm going to push myself to use one for once. plus, it's dip and dot /and/ dogs. i'm a sucker for those. if they did one with cats..holy mother of bajeezus i'd die. also the november picture is adorable for the calendar! it's adorable, esp bc it's my birthday month.

also fun fact: the calendar ships on my birthday :lol:
:transheart:
quercussp
living flop

confusedpanda wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:21 am
Also speaking of the d&p shop, I don't know why but it's always cheeper for me to order from worldwide site than the USA one? And sometimes they give me even more of a discount when I go to check out? For example the calander is listed as £9.95 but when I go to confirm checkout, it's listed as £8.32? Does anyone know why that is? I mean I'm not complaining but it's just really weird?
It's because if you ship outside the EU you don't have to pay a 20% tax (i don't know how it's called, but it's only inside the EU)
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

i just spent hours checking between the us shop and the worldwide shop, trying diff combos of items, and counting literal pennies. i'm spending my last cent on this stuff, because i don't get christmas/birthday presents from anyone else and if i don't buy it at half price, i will probably never get any merch.

i love the calendar photos we've seen - january is my birthday so i'm pretty zazzed about the theme of that one, plus puppies are cute. if they did a calendar with cats i would die of happy.

confusedpanda: the "discount" when you go into checkout is actually them not charging you VAT (value added tax - apparently it's a 20% sales tax on certain things, but only for EU countries??? i don't really understand it :shrug: )

deppy are looking more and more married every day. tbh it's making me feel nostalgic for the early days, where they seemed to be just as lovely towards each other. only times have changed in good ways, so now they've dropped most/all of the no homo shit and are just living. idk guys, it makes me feel feelings that i don't know words for. <3 (i also haven't slept in ~40 hrs, so that probably doesn't help)
Reizam
butt chair

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:41 am
Reizam wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 pm Also as quoted from the newsletter:

http://mailchi.mp/danandphilshop/dan-an ... ab1055949d
In the style of awkward family photos and 80’s pet photo shoots we have actually made a whole calendar with not 1, not 2, but 12 different types of dogs! All with a strong aesthetic theme for each month of the year.
So yeah... to all those getting couples Christmas card vibes, there's that.
Whatever they need to tell themselves us.
Ah sorry I should clarify I meant this as a good thing, the word "family" just stuck out to me like a sore thumb and I got giddy like the trashcan I am :love2: :philtrash:

Btw your son's Halloween costume was great!
flurry
living flop

I'm late to the party but what even was that baking video. As someone who has watched them since 2010, the way they have changed is just dizzying to be honest. The only thing I like less is how they end products seem to look more gross and less edible every year!

As for the tour, for some reason I'm not really feeling it because realistically they can't tour every single country with fans in them and so those who are left out will have little content again like during TATINOF. It's nice when they tour in your country but in so many places that just doesn't happen. Their previous tour seemed mostly concentrated in US and UK and during that time I just forgot about them because there was nothing they were really doing to entertain the others - the many others I might add - who had no involvement in the tour. I just hope this doesn't happen again if they go on tour and they at least keep up with their usual YT video content for those who are left out of the tour.

The calendar is another ?? Omg I can't believe they are actually behaving this way now. I really want to see the rest of the calendar although I won't support their merchandise unfortunately (I'm one of those who really doesn't agree with the Japanese words on their merchandise but let's not go back into that now).

In sum they're behaving so cutely I'm as the kids say, shook. <3
parallel
phabergé

Honestly, how do you guys feel about the prospect of them explicitly coming out? Like a kiss or even a video. Because before, for the majority of 2017, I didn't believe that. I just felt like they were knocking barriers down, in a "male friends can be intimate without the relationship being romantic" kind of way, and I was cool with that. But recently (golf vid, baking vid, and now the dog calendar. plus dan mentioning in a ls that he wanted to share more stuff with us about his personal life after the depression video) I feel like they're going beyond that. I dunno, I can kinda see a coming out by the end of 2018. I feel like it's kind of a now-or-never thing, because they're either building up to coming out (and seem to be very close) or they just wanna act as coupley as possible without being explicitly romantic.

Also, is it too much to ask for if people hide the advent calendar pics in spoilers? The ones that aren't public yet, at least. Because I kinda want to see for myself when it arrives, but that might be selfish of me lol
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

998274 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:59 am
confusedpanda wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:21 am
It's because if you ship outside the EU you don't have to pay a 20% tax (i don't know how it's called, but it's only inside the EU)
VengefulBlue wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:12 am confusedpanda: the "discount" when you go into checkout is actually them not charging you VAT (value added tax - apparently it's a 20% sales tax on certain things, but only for EU countries??? i don't really understand it :shrug: )
I feel like I rant about this roughly.... every time new merch comes out, but yes. This.

In general, I would highly recommend that anyone ordering from the US do a quick check to see if ordering from the worldwide shop may be better for you in terms of price (which it likely may be) and, if so, order from there.

As an example, here's what the same order looks like at this moment in time:
Image Image
Google tells me that the current conversion for £34.81 is $46.22.
So, the difference in price is literally a quarter. Martyn's explanation for this is brexit and its resulting exchange rate. However, in my personal opinion, that doesn't explain the appaling shipping costs us US folks have to pay for shipping... from Orlando. :sideeye:

On top of this, having run an accidental test of this last year, I find that shipping is much, much faster from the worldwide store. Just as you mentioned, confusedpanda. This is probably because the US shop's distributor(?) isn't IRL themselves, but rather District Lines. And if any of you guys have ever been a fan of anyone who sells merch via District Lines... they're notoriously difficult. Which could also explain the terrible packaging you dealt with? And it definitely explains the questionable shipping costs.

There's just no benefit to the US shop imho. (I mean, they don't even have the advent calendar! What's the point?!) So, if the difference in price is $0.25... the conclusion here is to order from the worldwide site.

/end spiel :faint:
sunshinias
spork

emerald wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 am
Also, is it too much to ask for if people hide the advent calendar pics in spoilers? The ones that aren't public yet, at least. Because I kinda want to see for myself when it arrives, but that might be selfish of me lol
I'm thinking of buying the calendar as well and I also don't want to spoil it for myself, so seconding this.

Edit: thanks for the shipping advice rizzo!
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Thanks 998274 and VengefulBlue for letting me know what that was about!!!
rizzo wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:27 am In general, I would highly recommend that anyone ordering from the US do a quick check to see if ordering from the worldwide shop may be better for you in terms of price (which it likely may be) and, if so, order from there.

As an example, here's what the same order looks like at this moment in time:
Image Image
Google tells me that the current conversion for £34.81 is $46.22.
So, the difference in price is literally a quarter. Martyn's explanation for this is brexit and its resulting exchange rate. However, in my personal opinion, that doesn't explain the appaling shipping costs us US folks have to pay for shipping... from Orlando. :sideeye:

On top of this, having run an accidental test of this last year, I find that shipping is much, much faster from the worldwide store. Just as you mentioned, confusedpanda. This is probably because the US shop's distributor(?) isn't IRL themselves, but rather District Lines. And if any of you guys have ever been a fan of anyone who sells merch via District Lines... they're notoriously difficult. Which could also explain the terrible packaging you dealt with? And it definitely explains the questionable shipping costs.

There's just no benefit to the US shop imho. (I mean, they don't even have the advent calendar! What's the point?!) So, if the difference in price is $0.25... the conclusion here is to order from the worldwide site.

/end spiel :faint:
I fully agree with this explanation!! I always wondered if maybe with it being a part of district lines might have been the issue, it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks that might be why. And with the advent calendar not being in the USA shop, that's really weird? It's not like America doesn't do advent calendars, so why wouldn't they be in the shop? Unless they're going to put them out with the Xmas merch (which I do hope they do again this year :please: ) on December 1st (but it would be too late by then..) or they just can't do it because of whatever reason?
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
grenadine
crusty sponge

emerald wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 am Honestly, how do you guys feel about the prospect of them explicitly coming out? Like a kiss or even a video. Because before, for the majority of 2017, I didn't believe that. I just felt like they were knocking barriers down, in a "male friends can be intimate without the relationship being romantic" kind of way, and I was cool with that. But recently (golf vid, baking vid, and now the dog calendar. plus dan mentioning in a ls that he wanted to share more stuff with us about his personal life after the depression video) I feel like they're going beyond that. I dunno, I can kinda see a coming out by the end of 2018. I feel like it's kind of a now-or-never thing, because they're either building up to coming out (and seem to be very close) or they just wanna act as coupley as possible without being explicitly romantic.

Everything they do is so thought through that coming out video would probably go surprisingly smooth. Do I want one? At this point I only want for them to be happy and succesful - i am really curious where they decide to go and what content will they make there. Are they already planning career after yt? Management/direct entertainment? I appreciate them even more now. :respekt2:

My friend is convinced that they are already trying to come out but phandom has trust issues and they will need to addres it directely if they want to get their point across.

My doubts have left me already - January pic was the last straw. 8-)
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Hmm. I just started to listen to the amazing audio book is not on fire (i never got tabinof, bc my country sucks, also i wasn't sure if i actually wanted it so yea, I have no idea what's going on with the book and the audio versio seemed nice so) and oh my god. It's like listening to the old radio shows but in a really weird way?? I really love/d the radio show, I liked it how it was kind of not so persona heavy than their channels back in the day, but I was not expecting this from the book. And as I say the radio show wasn't too persona heavy, i think the book is. I meannnn Dan's voice and the way he speaks is so weird to me, what even is with that, it hasn't been that long ago, but Dan in the audio book vs. Dan today, gosh. I like now-Dan more, tbh.

This is a total off topic I needed to get out of my system, haha. Continue :dogue:
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

ohh i’ve been listening to the tabinof audiobook every morning omw to work for nearly a year now bc their voices really calm me and an instant mood boost
i’m a bit immune to how persona heavy the audiobook is i think bc i experience it daily but i definitely prefer 2017!dnp far better bc i like them most when they feel somewhat genuine

how about an updated version of tabinof we need the floor plan of the duplex owo @ deppy
liola
rankussy

emerald wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 am Honestly, how do you guys feel about the prospect of them explicitly coming out? Like a kiss or even a video. Because before, for the majority of 2017, I didn't believe that. I just felt like they were knocking barriers down, in a "male friends can be intimate without the relationship being romantic" kind of way, and I was cool with that. But recently (golf vid, baking vid, and now the dog calendar. plus dan mentioning in a ls that he wanted to share more stuff with us about his personal life after the depression video) I feel like they're going beyond that. I dunno, I can kinda see a coming out by the end of 2018. I feel like it's kind of a now-or-never thing, because they're either building up to coming out (and seem to be very close) or they just wanna act as coupley as possible without being explicitly romantic.

I'm one of those people that think they will have to come out at some point, though I don't think they ever would with a video or a kiss etc. I doubt they would exploit their relationship on their channels in that way. I imagine it in a more casual way, a passing comment during a live show, a pic that leaves no doubt, something like that. I don't see them ever doing a coming out video, I honestly think they wanted to go at it the same way Dan has been doing with his sexuality - casual comments here and there that added up leave few doubts.

I do think they will have to address it at some point though, especially because they seem to want to settle down at some point and even if they left YouTube you know people would still keep up with them and news spread around fast.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ablissa
pastel persona

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm pleasantly surprised with their EU/worldwide store. I ordered the calendar last night and it shipped at 9am this morning! That's really quick :) I never bought anything from their store before, so this is nice. Let's hope it arrives quickly too.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

This is the most excited I've been for a video in a while :D And of course looking forward to seeing all the pictures from the calendar! If they shipped today, I guess people in the UK might have it tomorrow?

And a strange side-note that I would tag as off-topic but there is no more off-topic, I went to the doctor for the first time about my mental heath and she asked if there's anything that triggered that I wanted to see a doc and I said I saw a YouTube video about it :oops:
alch
ar·tic·u·late

liola wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 am
I'm one of those people that think they will have to come out at some point, though I don't think they ever would with a video or a kiss etc. I doubt they would exploit their relationship on their channels in that way. I imagine it in a more casual way, a passing comment during a live show, a pic that leaves no doubt, something like that. I don't see them ever doing a coming out video, I honestly think they wanted to go at it the same way Dan has been doing with his sexuality - casual comments here and there that added up leave few doubts.

I do think they will have to address it at some point though, especially because they seem to want to settle down at some point and even if they left YouTube you know people would still keep up with them and news spread around fast.
I agree, I think at some point they'll admit it in some way.
I used to think that they would make some big announcement or video or something in 2015, but they've changed so much in their behavior on camera that honestly they could probably slip something in casually that would finally confirm it, once and for all. (I've always had a fear that if they did come out in a casual way there'd still be a ton of antis claiming it wasn't a confirmation)

Plus, now that we've seen Dan's gradual coming-out, I'm more inclined to believe they would want to do it in that way.
obvsly
#relatable

Re: coming out
I always think it would be something small but clear enough. Like, Dan might choose to read a chat one day in his live show, “Is phan real?” And he would roll his eyes and say, “Really? Guys, really? It’s 2018, do you even have to ask anymore? Come on.” Then move on to another topic and carry on as usual, while Phil never comments on it ever. :mrgreen: I just can’t see any big reveal coming from either of them other than that.
Birdie
blobfish

There will always be a ton of antis disregarding any kind of confirmation to be honest. But then there's people like me as well. I never was an anti in the sense that I didn't want them to be together or anything, I always used to say that I don't ship them but would love it if they were actually together. But in 2015 I was convinced they actually weren't. These last few months I had to admit to myself that there's no way to be sure anymore and right now I'm just the shrug emoji about the whole thing and that's just because I personally feel uncomfortable shipping real people so I try to not have an opinion because.... Two years ago, or even one year ago, I'd have said that I don't see it but right now? Yeah, I see it. I don't know what to make of it but I see it. I've never felt comfortable labeling their behaviour as couply before either but here we are now, I guess. I'm just really curious to see how they'll address the calendar pictures and their recent behaviour that's definitely different from even a few weeks ago. I'm not expecting an outright confirmation but I can't see them putting off addressing that elephant in the room for much longer either.

Other than that... oh my god. There's no way I'm buying that calendar but it's so ridiculous and cute. :dogue:
fancybum
senpai

obvsly wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 am Re: coming out
I always think it would be something small but clear enough. Like, Dan might choose to read a chat one day in his live show, “Is phan real?” And he would roll his eyes and say, “Really? Guys, really? It’s 2018, do you even have to ask anymore? Come on.” Then move on to another topic and carry on as usual, while Phil never comments on it ever. :mrgreen: I just can’t see any big reveal coming from either of them other than that.
lmaooo and people would still interpret it in exact opposite ways by going 'See? Remember 2012?? He's clearly saying again that phan's not real omg stop reaching how disrespectful'. I agree that I still don't think they'd ever do or say anything official. They're masters of hint dropping and alluding to things and thinking way in advance. With all of that in mind, I think they would be making more of a conscious effort to stop referring to each other as 'friends' in videos now to be laying more groundwork, like stop reinforcing that public narrative so much. I'm big on 'one doesn't preclude the other, friendship is obviously a big part of the larger story' but Friends is what they've always gone with publicly and that branding is still very much underlined all the time. A cute 'coupley' calendar photo shoot doesn't undo that overnight. So maybe (definitely) they're less fussed about how they're perceived, but I don't think it's because they've got some grand revelatory plan on the horizon. 'They'll need to confirm it eventually' has been said for years and for years they've "needed" to do no such thing.
Last edited by fancybum on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me