Dan & Phil Part 58: Come in my lady door

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I'm conflicted on the liveshow. There were definitely relying far more on the ability to bounce off of each other in an effort to avoid the chat. They answered almost no premiums, absolutely none of substance, and only skimmed chat looking for things that lended to what they were already talking about.

Eventually I think I'll come to view this as a cute liveshow, but right now I'm just not in a place where I'm satisfied being spoon fed domesticity (no matter how genuine an aspect of their dynamic/relationship I think that domesticity is) as a way to get out of addressing anything.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

plastictrees wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 pm Hi all! Long time lurker etc etc...

one thing that crossed my mind RE the Felix discussion is if they are truely ‘out’ to Melix, maybe they’re afraid of the backlash that they could get if they did outright reject Felix? If they made it clear they don’t want to associate with him, he is very powerful and as we’ve seen some of the gross things he’s capable of i wouldn’t put it pass him to out someone without their permission in revenge, and he’s big enough a lot of people would listen. Not trying to excuse anyone’s behaviour, just voicing a thought i had!

Other than that loved the live show - particularly the reference to the opinion thing that dan got :D Definitely cut down to 40 mins ish though...
this is something i was just thinking about. i think its a definite possibility.

and now i'm curious, those of you that are like on the brink of unsubbing, would this be an acceptable reason for you? i can see an argument for both yes and no but i'm just wondering where others stand on that?

edit:

dizzy, do you think that they're aware of the current discussion going on surrounding that and avoided it on purpose or do you think of it as just a coincidence?
Last edited by sugar on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

Also felt that tense atmosphere at the beginning but for me it was mostly gone in the second half of the ls, they were way more relaxed then.
Were they maybe purposefully trying to avoid mentioning what they did this weekend and so that's why dan was so rushed and everything felt kinda over the place ? Like usually when there's a blank they go "so what else did i do this week..." but today, i felt like they kept trying to quickly jump from one topic to another and it was like 80% movies related.

I don't know how I feel about them not mentioning the pdp situation at all. I guess that's maybe better because the only other alternative I'd have liked would have been them acknowledging it was a shitty decision but that was never gonna happen lmao.
I mean, I understand they wouldn't want to directly criticise felix live (or even just imply he's problematic) while being recorded but if they're aware that it's not something morally defendable (which it looks like they are), why didn't they just skip that fucking party??
There's also no Phil liveshow this week, and any liveshow next week will probably focus on spooky week so guess we might never hear them talk about this.
Tbh if I ever hear them mention felix once again in my lifetime, that'll already be one time too many.
autumnhearth
senpai

But why would they order separate popcorns?

(Tired and cranky so that’s all I’ve got)
Moony
sofa crease

offtopic:
i usually like spooky week but only when they actually like the game they're playing
:sideeye: not like that weird sonic.exe 2 or whatever video it was that I kinda hated last year

anyway, does anyone know "The House Abandon"? I really would like them to play it, it's not to too long and just overalll the right amount of creepy
asnazzyphil
tol bean

That live show was alright, I think I might come back and rewatch when I'm in a better mood but the Felix discussion here earlier really prevented me from enjoying it fully :( (I didn't weigh in on the discussion earlier bc I don't feel like I don't have anything coherent to say that hasn't already been said earlier)

On a lighter note, I wasn't sure how much I believed that they actually had two kitchens but when they mentioned decorating the kitchen for spooky week (at about 23:15) they seemed like they were actually looking at the decorations and iirc the second kitchen area was meant to be on the other side of the slounge.... I may now be convinced
lurkin
squish

I missed the ls due to class, so I'll try to catch up and join the discussion while I'm getting ready for a choir concert.

I'm not really in a position where I'm on the brink of unsubbing or disengaging entirely/burning TABINOF but more so reevaluating my relationship with them and their content and where exactly I stand. Now, if D&P post a video with Felix (I still believe they have enough common sense not to) then we'll talk. I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews about the live show from being cute and domestic to being forced and trying to avoid this weekend's events, so I'm interested in seeing it for myself.

Side note: twitter fandom seems to have calmed down a bit? Kinda interested in seeing where that goes too lol

edit: I literally forgot a verb in one of my sentences
✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ugh *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Ewok
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 pm I'm conflicted on the liveshow. There were definitely relying far more on the ability to bounce off of each other in an effort to avoid the chat. They answered almost no premiums, absolutely none of substance, and only skimmed chat looking for things that lended to what they were already talking about.

Eventually I think I'll come to view this as a cute liveshow, but right now I'm just not in a place where I'm satisfied being spoon fed domesticity (no matter how genuine an aspect of their dynamic/relationship I think that domesticity is) as a way to get out of addressing anything.
This may be exactly what I felt? An uncomfortable feeling like I was being force fed their banter as a distraction. Dan seemed irritated and manic. I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too deep into it. I need a fucking nap.
:backawayslowly:
plastictrees wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 pm Hi all! Long time lurker etc etc...

one thing that crossed my mind RE the Felix discussion is if they are truely ‘out’ to Melix, maybe they’re afraid of the backlash that they could get if they did outright reject Felix? If they made it clear they don’t want to associate with him, he is very powerful and as we’ve seen some of the gross things he’s capable of i wouldn’t put it pass him to out someone without their permission in revenge, and he’s big enough a lot of people would listen. Not trying to excuse anyone’s behaviour, just voicing a thought i had!
This is an interesting angle I hadn't considered. I don't know if Felix would purposely expose them (I don't think he in particular would have anything to gain from that) but I can definitely see him being malicious or "petty" and letting it ""slip"" if Deppy ever double crossed him. I want to have the feeling he wouldn't be that bitter if Deppy ever stopped associating with him, because my rational mind is like, "Who the fuck would get pissy over that?" but then again PDP is pretty garbo so... probably he would? He sucks.

Lmao. Idk if any of this even makes any sense. I'm going for that nap now. :lol:
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

i've been trying to focus on positives only, for my own mental health's sake, so something i'd love to say about the liveshow is that i found it so funny when people in the chat were yelling at dan for talking over phil and they both found it so hilarious :lol: i love being reminded that they actually don't get upset over that kind of stuff
edit: i'm wondering, why do people actually think that they would do a video with felix?
(edited a second time because i forgot a word, somehow)
alch
ar·tic·u·late

The liveshow was nice! Probably'd feel nicer if I could get rid of that sinking feeling in my stomach that started appearing after most of their interactions with Felix.

It's not like we could really stop them from being friends with Felix but could they please not publicly associate with him?

As someone who's from a Jewish family, isn't white, and hasn't developed much desensitization for racist behavior after living in a super liberal place for their entire life, it just feels kind of gross to watch them being so chummy with someone who's said and done awful things regarding minority groups I'm a part of.
lurker
janice from the shop

it has been offhandedly mentioned that outright criticizing felix might be damaging to their career several times and i would just like to hear why people think that is so? dan and phil claim(ed) they consider him a friend and what people are expecting / have been hoping for isn't a main channel video titled "pewdiepie is a racist and you should unsub immediately". if they still want to associate privately with him, they could talk to him and tell him, hey, we don't hate you, but we don't condone you being a racist fuck online and we don't want to give our audience the impression that we do, so we don't want to be on your instagram/twitter/general internet presence and we'll also clearly state in some way or another that we don't support it. i'm just saying...i don't really see why that shouldn't be an option. like, either they are friends and then it should be possible to at least tell him that you don't want to be publicly associated with him for the sake of your audience or even image, or they aren't really friends and then it shouldn't be a hard and extremely sad decision to... just not associate with him anymore. plus, i think in this context it's not fair to speculate about them being possibly out to felix playing a role -- it is just speculation based on nothing, and while this is in general fine, right now it shifts the focus from an important discussion about racism to homophobia, about which a lot of us already are and have been very vocal.
thank's you were great
scientia
phabergé

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 pm I'm conflicted on the liveshow. There were definitely relying far more on the ability to bounce off of each other in an effort to avoid the chat. They answered almost no premiums, absolutely none of substance, and only skimmed chat looking for things that lended to what they were already talking about.

I'm wondering if they think they need to address anything? I've been super disappointed that more people aren't as vocally against the pdp association across twitter/Tumblr/YouTube; do we think they are therefore unaware of the more critical responses here? If they haven't seen a lot of the criticism I wonder if it has even come on to their radar as much this time.

I kind of just assumed the joint ls had more to do with the release of their game (which in the end wasn't even discussed that much) :shrug:
drearyquery
drama llama

I can tell the Felix discussion is slightly wrapping up but I wanted to say one more thing.

People who are upset enough to unsub/unstan are valid and their decisions are up to them.

People who are upset but aren’t going to unsub/unstan are valid and their decisions are up to them.

People who aren’t personally bothered but empathize, I hope you understand the complexities of the situation

but people who are going after others and critiquing people for being upset (or “too engaged in fandom” need to back up and reasses the situation
scientia
phabergé

autumnhearth wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 pm But why would they order separate popcorns?

This stood out to me too, as did the implication that one of them (Phil?) ended up paying for everything :D
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

scientia wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm
autumnhearth wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 pm But why would they order separate popcorns?

This stood out to me too, as did the implication that one of them (Phil?) ended up paying for everything :D
I think that's as simple as their ability to each singularly demolish a large popcorn within the span of almost three hours. And yeah, it definitely sounds like Phil bought all the snacks.
MaggieW
glabella

I haven't read all the discussion from the past few pages (didn't have time... probably will do it tonight) but I was watching the liveshow and I just wanted to say that I'm SO excited for spooky week!! Halloween is my favourite time of the year but we don't celebrate it in my country, so having something to look forward to is great :lilheart:
I'm specially happy for the next streaming on the gaming channel. D&P playing a scary game on camera for more than 20 minutes? I feel like all my prayers had been answered :dead:
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

At the very beginning of the live show, Phil mentioned that he had A LOT of sugar. He was bouncing off the walls. I think Dan was feeding off of that energy and that could be where the "manic"/annoyed thoughts come from. Looked like he ate half of that bag of jumbo marshmallows :roll: :shock: In that position, I would be totally sugar faced. I'm sure he crashed soon after.
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Hahahahah yessss. Also agree with rizzballs that it was awkward, rushed, they were obviously buying time.

This was me the whole time.

I'm just not amused at them, every giggle seemed a bit forced, some anecdotes seemed too insistent or maintaining that they did something together. Even if they did it felt like they were making sure they shared things and overspoke about others. I also was on the boat of any other time I'd be on the floor with an inhaler in hand but recent event making me just sideeye and scoff loudly. (Someone fill me with positivity again I'm a ball of cynicism)
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

I think people are reading too much between the lines about their joint liveshow because of what's happening around the PDP issue.

I didn't see any akward interactions or them acting weird at all. They were cute and fun and talking back and forth like they usually do when they do a liveshow together.

The whole "can Phil express an opinion?" is such a known reference for the fandom that while it didn't surprise that Phil didn't get it, I was quite surprised that Dan did, he does lurks around Tumblr and/or YT fan videos to get it.

I really like how they make decisions together, I should be used by now, but the whole ritual about walking dead or deciding to watch the Star Wars trailer was really cute.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kuensukki wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:31 pmI'm just not amused at them, every giggle seemed a bit forced, some anecdotes seemed too insistent or maintaining that they did something together. Even if they did it felt like they were making sure they shared things and overspoke about others. I also was on the boat of any other time I'd be on the floor with an inhaler in hand but recent event making me just sideeye and scoff loudly. (Someone fill me with positivity again I'm a ball of cynicism)
Uhh oh man positivity okay lets try this. I do think that the stories that happened are real, and I think part of them probably does enjoy sharing things like that? It's stupid inconsequential daily life stuff that two years ago they'd have tiptoed majorly around, and now Phil's out there telling us how much he spent buying them snacks on their movie date and how he's definitely gonna be having more Ryan Gosling dreams and how Dan cried at the Star Wars preview and what kind of food they order for which tv shows. I think all of that is absolutely true and none of it was fabricated or forced in the sense that they exaggerated so they'd have something to talk about.

I'm just a bitter fuck who doesn't like why they were suddenly so motivated to share. I'm frustrated that we got these stories because they knew they had no intention of telling us how they really spent their weekend. I mean, c'mon, guys? Don't want to talk about how lush the airbnb was in? I hear neo-nazi figureheads are really rolling in the cash lately, I'm sure it was fancy as fuck.

Shit, wait. Positivity. Uh. Idk. Those marshmallows they had looked tasty.
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

MaggieW wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 pm I haven't read all the discussion from the past few pages (didn't have time... probably will do it tonight) but I was watching the liveshow and I just wanted to say that I'm SO excited for spooky week!! Halloween is my favourite time of the year but we don't celebrate it in my country, so having something to look forward to is great :lilheart:
I'm specially happy for the next streaming on the gaming channel. D&P playing a scary game on camera for more than 20 minutes? I feel like all my prayers had been answered :dead:
About Spooky Week, what I like the most is again Dan asking Phil wether he can tell the game they were playing. Normally he tends to babble about everything but when it comes to things that involves Phil, he didn't even say "I want to tell them", he asked Phil if he could share the name of the game.

One of my faves moment was Phil telling everybody why Dan's name is on the box of the game. They're a package deal guys!
loonyradish
living flop

Ilovethemohyesido wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:46 pm I think people are reading too much between the lines about their joint liveshow because of what's happening around the PDP issue.

I didn't see any akward interactions or them acting weird at all. They were cute and fun and talking back and forth like they usually do when they do a liveshow together.

The whole "can Phil express an opinion?" is such a known reference for the fandom that while it didn't surprise that Phil didn't get it, I was quite surprised that Dan did, he does lurks around Tumblr and/or YT fan videos to get it.

I really like how they make decisions together, I should be used by now, but the whole ritual about walking dead or deciding to watch the Star Wars trailer was really cute.
I agree with this. I didn't notice anything unusual tbh? I'm sorry, but I just can't see how they were "obviously buying time." I really enjoyed it, and was really surprised by the negative responses over here.
secretagentphan
procrastinator

I’ve been having the worst time mentally ever, so I’m glad they did that liveshow even if the pewdiepie drama kinda took alway from it for me.

I enjoyed the AHS talk even though I haven’t been into it since freak show though. I am OBSESSED with The Factory and all of Warhol’s superstars
(Candy Darling’s story breaks my heart and if you want to learn more about trans people’s lives in the 60s I HIGHLY recommend the documentary Beautiful Darling on youtube)
and The Velvet Underground even if Warhol himself was a jerk. Although Lena Dunham being in it ruins any chance of me ever watching AHS ever...

I also don’t think we’re talking enough about Phil comparing the texture of Dan’s sweater to a teddy bear? That is absolutely adorable I can’t even..
autumnhearth
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:42 pm
scientia wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm

I think that's as simple as their ability to each singularly demolish a large popcorn within the span of almost three hours. And yeah, it definitely sounds like Phil bought all the snacks.
Well that just makes me feel ill. Unless the sizes are smaller there. Maybe they don’t do buckets? I dunno, I love deppy food sharing. My husband hates sharing, the only exception being popcorn at the cinema. So it just seemed odd. Plus then you’ve got to hold it the same time instead of trading off. :corn: :corn:

Positive note: them deciding together in the moment that they would watch the Star Wars trailer. That was some cute shit.
mm_sunny1993
spork

I really enjoyed the liveshow, it's probably one of my favorites now. They mostly talked about films or tv shows and I don't watch any of them so I don't really know what they are talking about but it's still pretty entertaining. They were rather giggly and open, let many little things slip that they normally wouldn't have said in their own liveshows. I'll definitely rewatch it again.
I'm really hyped for spooky week as it will be my first 'live' one as i just started really watching them in January. :skeleton: :pumpkinphil: :bat:

Nevertheless, i have to say im getting rather annoyed at or better i don't really understand how badly some people are reacting to their content right now...i mean i unterstand the reasons why one may be disappointed i read everything on the last pages. But there was like literally a 1% chance that dan would address it in the liveshow and i think that was quite clear. They almost never talk about something with substance in their liveshows (it's 80% movies and food) so it is rather enthusiastic to expect them to talk about it now. And to the people who are reacting bitter to the new videos: if you can't stand them at the moment get a break and come back in a few days. You don't have to watch their videos just to see whether they will address it or not. If you're angry or disappointed in your friends in real life what do you do then? I try to get some time away from them to think about everything and let it sink in. I think that would help in this situation as well.
And I'm really sorry if this here comes across as mean or offensive. That's really not my intention. It's just my opinion.