Dan & Phil Part 59: the literal other half

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i loved that quickdraw video and they were just so cute and domestic, esp when dan just gave up his marshmallows in the end to phil. that was cute!

i've been watching youtube like..avidly, since 2011. my first youtuber fandom i really got into was pewdiepie, and i got into him like just before he hit a million subs or something so that's something. i think i was really into him for about a year. after that i discovered dan and phil in 2012 and got sucked into the phandom and was into them until like late 2014 or something? then i discovered game grumps in like 2015 through..i think jontron or ninja sex party or something? i can't remember how honestly, but i was into them for about a year, and then in october of 2016 i discovered deppy again and got back into them full force and was absolutely obsessed with them until about may of this year, 2017, until i discovered jacksepticeye and.. got sucked into his videos oops. now jack is my favorite youtuber.

however i still love deppy dearly and i still enjoy their content a lot. i'm also really getting into markiplier lately, a little bit before he announced his hiatus and then returned from it like a week ago or something. he's very genuine and wholesome, as is jackaboy! i just really like youtubers.

also if they do a tour again, i'll be happy but also very disappointed as i know they won't go to where i live in the south and i'm broke as hell always so.. :|

edit: oh god top of the page why
:transheart:
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Drawing video: it was cute I guess, nothing too special, but then again my mental health has been increasingly abysmal as of late so I might just simply not enjoy anything right now.

Also what is this blindfolded video thing I see people mention? Did I miss something?

Personal fandom history: D&P were my 3rd & 4th channel (probably) I ever subscribed to? Somewhere around the end of 2012. I was only subscribed to Charlieissocoollike and the Vlogbrothers and had basically only just 'discovered' the side of youtube that wasn't just silly cat videos. Then a housemate showed me one of Dan's videos and I absolutely hated it and didn't want anything to do with either him nor Phil. :rofl: I don't remember when that changed, but at some point I slowly started watching more of Dan's videos and then Phil's videos and fell down the rabbithole. I've been a very casual though consistent watcher for years and only this year started going a bit deeper into the fandom. I don't remember specifics, but I think I saw a comment about D&P somewhere and thought ???, googled it, first result was IDB, and I've been here since. I'm also still subscribed to Charlie & the Green brothers though other channels have come and gone for me.
aleanna
glabella

blackdenim wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:06 pm It's so nice to see that there are so many older fans on here! At 29 I just assumed I was the eldest by about 4 years or so, but it's great to read that there are others in their late 20s/30s and 40s (and even beyond!?). Am wondering how the older fans found/got into D&P? A few have said through kids which is cool! I would have loved if my parents had embraced my teenage interests1

I personally have been watching YouTube for about 10 years, so I found Phil and Dan when YT was a lot more age appropriate for me than I guess it is now, and never really grew out of them.

How about the rest of you?
I'm 28, so I've had pretty much the same experience as you. When I started watching YouTube seriously, I was really into the Vlogbrother, Nerimon, and Charlieissocoollike. A lot of the DFTBA records crowd. I switched mostly to movie reviews for a bit (Jeremy Jahns, Thatguywiththeglasses/Channel Awesome, Spill.com/Double Toasted, Chris Stuckmann) after the whole 2014 sexual abuse scandal. And a LOT of Buzzfeed ( and Facts.). I fell into the deppy trashcan early this year and haven't looked back!!!
Check out my YouTube channel where I post badly edited vlog-things: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4MzLr ... nRQQMRpp6A
katemko
delia smith
Pronouns: she/her

A close family member was diagnosed with cancer when I was 14, and I needed a distraction. I think I found them through one of the ISG videos popping up in my recommendations, and now I'm here. I'm 19, about to hit 20. It's funny, a couple months ago I was having this mini internal crisis about if I was too old to watch them (and have their calendar stare at me from the desk wall, oops), but this thread makes me feel so much better. (Like a lot of others though, I was into the Vlogbrothers first (and still am!))
i'm so funny. i am the funniest person in the world. ryan gosling finds me hilarious. i'm in a submarine.
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

blackdenim wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:06 pm It's so nice to see that there are so many older fans on here! At 29 I just assumed I was the eldest by about 4 years or so, but it's great to read that there are others in their late 20s/30s and 40s (and even beyond!?). Am wondering how the older fans found/got into D&P? A few have said through kids which is cool! I would have loved if my parents had embraced my teenage interests1

I personally have been watching YouTube for about 10 years, so I found Phil and Dan when YT was a lot more age appropriate for me than I guess it is now, and never really grew out of them.

I found them through the BBC. As an often-homesick expat Brit I started listening to Radio 1 podcasts at work. Idk if it really helped with the homesickness but :shrug:
Of course Deppy never podcast their show but back in late 2013 they were still enthusiastic about being part of the R1 "family" and they used to visit Scott Mills' show once or twice a week. Their visits were pretty short but I was impressed enough by their natural chemistry and general funnyness to google them. The first video I watched was one of the Edinburgh "fun and filth cabaret" ones. :roll: They have introduced me to a whole world that I new almost nothing about! I had never heard of Tumblr or Instagram. I didn't have a Twitter account and, whilst I had watched a bit of YouTube, I was unaware of the concept of channels and subscriptions. I have since subscribed to many other YouTube channels but Dan and Phil will always be my first and my faves. :love2:
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
Mew
not a first-time poster

Anyone else notice the date at the bottom of the new gaming video?
:tinfoil:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

I was subscribed to Deppy when Dan had less subscribers to Phil still in like late 2011 which is wild to think about. I’m lowkey too depressed today to watch the new gaming video but I am enjoying the little gifs and such. (If anyone wants to write an essay comparing King Lear to Percival hit me up... kidding... kind of.)
autumnhearth
senpai

I just turned 32 on Sunday and have only been watching the boys for about a year. I saw lots of excitement over Monster Pops from some of the multi-fandom Tumblr folks I follow, so I checked out the baking videos and got hooked. Prior to that I wasn’t really aware of YouTubers/vloggers. I had only used YT for trailers, music videos and, back when I was in college, wizard rock. My husband and son do watch many gaming and AP vids with me, which is nice. I don’t have much desire to go to a convention or m&g, though I probably would have gone to TATINOF if I had been a fan a year earlier.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

I first saw them mentioned in YouTube comments, mostly from people pissed at the DnP fans spamming the comment sections. I didn't care enough to search out who they were until I saw their book at the store. I checked out a Phil video last fall and now here I am, buying a damn advent calendar featuring grown men and some dogs. :lol:
brq
phillion/danosaur <//3

While I'm 20 now I've been watching Phil since 2008 (so before I even started high school :shock:) as I was super into British YouTubers. I was one of the people who found Dan through Phil :)
:prideheart2:
Puffy
drama llama

Mew wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 am Anyone else notice the date at the bottom of the new gaming video?

Didn't notice anything and haven't seen anyone else mention it anywhere else. What is it? :tinfoil:
malday
emo goose

blackdenim wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:06 pm I personally have been watching YouTube for about 10 years, so I found Phil and Dan when YT was a lot more age appropriate for me than I guess it is now, and never really grew out of them.

Same, i started watching youtube in 2007. But the only British youtuber i watched at the time was Bryony, and only casually. I was more into the VlogBrothers, Natalie Tran, Ryan Higa, channels that did comedy skits and American vloggers. I only got into D&P when they already had their gaming channel because the only youtube content i was still interested in by then were letsplays.
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

Puffy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:07 am
Mew wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 am Anyone else notice the date at the bottom of the new gaming video?

Didn't notice anything and haven't seen anyone else mention it anywhere else. What is it? :tinfoil:
What do you mean by "at the bottom"?
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
malday
emo goose

bluntedclaws wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:13 am

I think they are talking about the date you can see when Phil accientally opens a save window, the date shows they filmed the video Monday.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Yeah, what exactly do you mean by that? I hadn't noticed anything strange going on in the video or the description.
Mew
not a first-time poster

alch wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:18 am

Yeah, what exactly do you mean by that? I hadn't noticed anything strange going on in the video or the description.
haha i totally feel like an idiot. Typically around here we put the m/d/y and didn't even think about it.
yourenotevenhuman
phillion/danosaur <//3

I'm 24 and have been using YouTube since 2006! Back then I was mostly watching Harry/Draco fan vids & reading slash on fanfiction.net, but I soon found the little community making 'real life' videos. I can remember stumbling across Phil's channel so, so long ago but not paying much mind, and then later when Dan made a channel I subscribed to him initially, because he was An Emo like Myself at that age.. but I remember unsubscribing after 2012 because of the whole 'no homo' phase. I had a friend who was obsessed with them both (who I've now reconnected with via a message saying "I know I'm late but...Dan and Phil???? I???" and her reply "....I know.") and I had no idea of their origin or story, and just thought they were homophobes (which is horrible to think now! :( ) and was much happier in my various fandoms, cushioned amongst hundreds of thousands of words of slash. But certainly on Tumblr they'd pop up and I reblogged one post of Dan in 2013 with the tags "#i'm reblogging dan howell #haha #sigh" (lmao.) I guess I watched mostly Dan's videos sporadically over the years but never committed to...loving him.

But fast forward to this year, when my sister of all people (who exclusively watches gaming videos) sent me the pastel baking video and I was like "look I know they're cute but the fandom is insane" (coming from me, who was in the one direction fandom for 5 years) but I watched it anyway and was pleasantly surprised and also like "WOW WHO ARE THESE DIPSHITS WHO ARE ALSO SO FLIRTY AND CUTE? THEY ARE NOT WHO I THOUGHT THEY WERE" and proceeded to go on a dapg marathon. What sold me, though, was one lonely night on placement 3 hours from home (i'm weeks away from graduating as a veterinarian! hoorah!) and I basically looked through all of their dailybooths and formsprings and was like "oh SHIT" and then when I saw the dailybooth of soft, smitten Dan mentioning Nat King Cole's "Nature Boy" and I had a listen all I could think about was Dan listening to this while he yearned for Phil :love2: and I burst into tears, literally, and that's when I knew that this was my new fandom tbh. Also "smells like warm" sold me. and Now I'm a lurking demon phannie. :twisted:
annabanana
sofa crease

After watching Jenna's video of her reacting to compilations again, I really want dnp to do it. :please: Hopefully AP will pull through with this relevant content!
Have a red velvet cupcake and for fucks sake, dip some toast in your soup. Bye.
parallel
phabergé

I know I'm super late to the party, but I just caught up with the liveshow today and it felt... strange? Dan came off as almost anti in the LS. Like he seemed genuinely irritated when someone jokingly brought up Phil Howell and kind of snapped at the person asking if they got a dog and was like "lol how could you think that, I said graphic design" in an almost condescending way. Maybe a bad day for him?

But yeah, it's definitely a tour announcement. There's probably a poster or logo for the new tour which is why they mentioned graphic design.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm 18 going on 19 now and I started watching youtube back in like 2006 to catch up on sailor moon episodes lol. Then, I got really into Harry Potter and Percy Jackson fan videos along with the first 'personalities' that I had started watching (which were Ryan Higa, smosh and Jenna Marbles back when they were getting started). I watched these up until like 2011-ish when I lost interest somehow. In late 2012 I found a new community called booktube which resonated with the obsessive booklover I am (hence why I still participate and make videos in that community to this day).
Then one day in late 2014 my best friend told me about these two guys who she found from a jacksgap collab, and that I should watch them as the one guy Dan seemed to have a similar personality to me. I instantly became hooked, and while I feel weird about joining the phandom really 'late', I definitely have spent far too much time over the last 3 years deep in the phandom to ever lose interest or grow out of it.
parallel
phabergé

Striderrrrrrrr wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:45 pm
anonymousdork wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 pm I think the discussion about the ages of people on this website is really fascinating - and I know there are lots of older teenagers and adults on here. So, I was wondering about the opposite! I'm fourteen, and I generally feel that most people on this site are older than me. Which is awesome because the discussion/general maturity level here is basically the only part of the phandom I can tolerate. But I was just curious - how many 12-15-year-olds actually use IDB?
I'm 15! I don't usually post and most of the time I lurk. The maturity level is much higher on here then say, Twitter (sigh), but I use Tumblr as well. I feel like there are probably a bunch of younger teens that don't really join in on the discussion, but we exist. Definitely on board with an IDB survey to see demographics.
We did have a survey! Though it was last year and I'd like to see how things are in 2017.

Edit: I'm a younger teenager who wouldn't really like to disclose his age. But I've been watching them since I was 11; found them both in the recommendations of another channel and watched some of their videos. Been mostly subscribed to them since then.

I find it really interesting how a lot of Phandom members were with DnP during Dan's no homo phase and unsubbed because they thought he was homophobic. I wonder how many people were driven off because of that and what they'd think of modern-day Deppy?
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I got into Dan and Phil through recommended videos after I had heard them mentioned several times. I only discovered them in 2015, so I'm on the newer side of people (though I've been around longer than most of the people that I interact with outside of IDB).

I'm a bit younger than a lot of people on IDB, apparently. I've always been afraid of saying my age online.
sunshinias
spork

Striderrrrrrrr wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:45 pm
anonymousdork wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:03 pm I think the discussion about the ages of people on this website is really fascinating - and I know there are lots of older teenagers and adults on here. So, I was wondering about the opposite! I'm fourteen, and I generally feel that most people on this site are older than me. Which is awesome because the discussion/general maturity level here is basically the only part of the phandom I can tolerate. But I was just curious - how many 12-15-year-olds actually use IDB?
I'm 15! I don't usually post and most of the time I lurk. The maturity level is much higher on here then say, Twitter (sigh), but I use Tumblr as well. I feel like there are probably a bunch of younger teens that don't really join in on the discussion, but we exist. Definitely on board with an IDB survey to see demographics.
Also 15. I think IDB drew me in because all the Tumblr behaviour is pretty immature (at least, what I had come across before reading here).

I started really watching youtube around November last year (mainly markiplier and the like) and I guess I was kind of just aware that Deppy existed but I'd never watching anything from them. Mostly I knew about them from watching people play the 7sc app. I think my first video with them was actually their collab with Rosanna Pansino when I had a phase of watching her collabs. After that I watched a couple of their videos occasionally when they popped up (mainly Dan's) and then in January/Februaryish I binged a lot of Dan's videos, found IDB and the rest is history.
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

[Tumblr]https://phannypack420.tumblr.com/post/1 ... -friday-is[/Tumblr]

Honestly the only valid theory about Friday :rofl:
(I don’t know how to embed tumblr links sorry if I did this wrong)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

secretagentphan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:00 am https://phannypack420.tumblr.com/post/1 ... -friday-is

Honestly the only valid theory about Friday :rofl:
(I don’t know how to embed tumblr links sorry if I did this wrong)
It looks like that user has their tumblr set so that you have to be signed into a tumblr account in order to see it, which means there's no embed option! But the link is still clickable. :)