Dan & Phil Part 59: the literal other half

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

The sub box glitch is the same for me too, no Deps, I’ve never noticed any of these problems before. Let’s hope it’s fixed soon.

I love the June photo, I had a feeling those are onesies rather than hoodies and tracksuit bottoms, they both look so relaxed and cuddly, and I love Phil’s smile.

September is funny, I’ve had friends of a similar age and size dress up in school uniform for the lols and it looks so cute. I like how bored Phil looks and his trousers showing off his socks. There’s a sweet irony in how aesthetic Dan looks with those shoes and again showing off some ankle, plus just how beautiful his face and hair are. I wonder what anyone who bullied him thinks of him now, but maybe they don’t care. Some of the pictures, like this one, don’t really make great use of the dog, but he’s a pretty one.

February is my favourite. Phil with that cheesy grin reminds of my dad and he reminded me of him in the video thanks to the baggy fit of the trousers with the bowtie and braces, my dad rocked that look at a wedding. Phil’s freckles and long feet have reminded me of him before too, thankfully that’s where that ends.
DatCog
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

I love all the calendar photos except October which just looks a bit cluttered to me with the assorted halloween tat and shadows - can't really see the dog properly either (perhaps just my crap eyesight). Agree with autumnhearth that July and March should be swapped as that would make more sense to me. These pics and recent videos have been a joy and I'm even more in the :garbage: as a result!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

blackdenim wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:09 pm I can't watch the dogs vid because my internet is too bad I'm gutted :cry: and I know I've missed loads and we've moved on now but I wanted to reply to a few things from the last thread:
dancy wrote:Regarding Dp Touring LLP, I've seen a few people on Twitter mentioning that it just has to do with Big Potato and their board game and that it's for profit management, not a tour. Thoughts?
I think this is really reaching tbh. The name of the company is literally Dp Touring. I assume Dp stands for Dan and Phil. So Dan and Phil... touring.

If it was to do with the Big Potato game surely it would have been called Truth Bombs LLP (which doesn't exist, I just looked, so it's not like that was taken so they had to go for another name)
dailybooth wrote:irt coming out- my opinion has always been that they will continue doing what they're doing (referring to each other as friend, showing varying levels of affection depending on the time, living together, etc.) for as long as they are in the public eye. The only thing that I can see kinda forcing their hand would be if they want to have kids - they'd need to be married/in a civil partnership of some kind. And, I mean, who's gonna look at two men raising a child as "just bros"? This all may be a long way off or completely off base but, yeah.
I agree with most of what you say here, it's similar to what I said myself initially, but I'm wondering why you think they would 'have' to be married or in a civil partnership to have kids? I'm not trying to be snarky at all I'm genuinely interested. Is there a law that says a same-sex couple can't adopt or use a surrogate unless they're married or in a civil partnership?
Stakhanov wrote:They have always presented themselves as friends. It's always just some part of the audience that has assumed they are a couple. They used to deny it, now they are just silently about it. Letting everyone believe what they want while doing what they do. They don't shy away from flirting with the audience either, and they know they'll find a lot of enthusiasm and views if they prentend to be more "cute", "coupley" or "domestic". So that's at least part of the reason why we see what they show us. From the very first PINOF (it's almost there :love1: ), you can notice that they are aware about it,, with Dan ending the video with "It's supposed to be cheesy". He knows many of us love cheesy. They aren't blind to the major reason they sell out tours and merch. "The fans want to see us look like a couple while playing with dogs? Great, we'll do a professional photoshoot and they can buy their perfect ship". And it works :lol: The D&P merch empire is steadily expanding.
In light of that, i think people might read way to much into their behavior on camera/on a calendar. They are entertainers first and they're good at it ;). I think they already shared their relationship status, but many choose not to believe their denials. They have never come out on a video either - though Dan did share his mental health struggle. I take that as a sign that they either don't want to; think it's irrelevant; or there's also the possibility that they are (mostly) straight and don't want to disenchant the audience - or fear the reaction.
I have to say that although I was doing hypothetical coming out scenarios earlier, I'm largely Phan-Agnostic and you really hit the nail on the head as to why, here. I do think they pander to the audience in terms of cute domestic moments more than we'd like to think they do. I honestly believe they know that Phan is the biggest part of their appeal and they play up to it, constantly, on camera.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're not together but it means I take a lot of the 'omg so soft!' 'love eyes!' stuff with a huge pinch of salt, especially since it's so subjective. For example, I don't think Dan is looking at Phil fondly at all in the January picture. I looked at it for ages trying to work out what everyone else was seeing that I was missing and to me, he's just... looking at him. With a kind of grimace on his face. It's how I look at my brothers when I'm trying to freak them out haha. In fact, this calendar (although I LOVE IT) is the textbook definition of pandering to me - right down to the 'family photo' description. I can almost guarantee someone at IRL wrote that and not D&P: it's just marketing, they know what their audience likes.

(Sorry ignore my negativity go back to drooling at dogs)
Hi, my apologies for the delayed response but I've been busy watching a couple of fan trash vids and ofc their lovely new video. It's almost like a "Day In The LIfe: photo shoot edition" to me. S

I agree with what you say. I'm an "agnostic phanteist" mostly. Meaning I think we know far to little about their actual life to arrive at conclusions, and it the absence of solid verifiable facts that would "prove" they are together (which isn't an easy thing to do..) I take the same stance as I take with anyone i don't really know: I take their word for it.
The things that usually get mentioned a lot after a video are things like "they look fondly at each other", "touched each other" or are "domestic". Very subjective and impossible to say if it's authentic or part of the audience interaction, and in which particular instance it's one or the other (or a bit of both). There is whole thread full of reasons pro or contra and and separate threads that comment and analyze about every move they make. But we talk about every time they do something about their interactions and how we think they are evolving. The amount of tweets I see where people express how 2017 has been "a gift" and how they are "blessed" because they have the opportunity to buy merch is overwhelming A company would kill for that sort of branding :lol:

On the one hand all this speculation is maybe what you expect to see on a fan forum (or some do), but on the other it also proves to me to what extent we're forced to reach, since we barely know anything. We are prone to arrive at wrong or incomplete conclusions. For years, I have wondered about the mental health of Dan. His statements about it were often ambiguous and interwoven with jokes. I convinced myself that he was mostly joking about the "existential crisis". Until he opened up about it, I wouldn't have thought that he was suffering from a clinical expression for years -and might still be if his depression is influenced by genetics/neurological factors. It's only since he has opened up about it, that we know a bit more about the real deal. As he says himself, it was such a major part of his life he felt we should know. It was another one of those moments that I realized we don't really know each other except for what he shows us through editing and that it is dangerous to assume to much about them.

But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the Dan+Phil+ Dogs (it's a concept that can't fail ! :) ). I just like to keep perspective. Please, don't think this is "negative", I don't see why. I love frank conversation about these people i love and watch! We can share our real thoughts about all subjects Dan and Phil (maybe even others some day :-) ) It doesn't only have to be about drooling over dogs ;)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
Stakhanov
haru pillow

George wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 am
Stakhanov wrote: They aren't blind to the major reason they sell out tours and merch. "The fans want to see us look like a couple while playing with dogs? Great, we'll do a professional photoshoot and they can buy their perfect ship". And it works :lol: The D&P merch empire is steadily expanding.
In light of that, i think people might read way to much into their behavior on camera/on a calendar. They are entertainers first and they're good at it ;).
I did cringe a bit when Dan said at the end of the dog video "I guess we'll just have to relive it every day when we get the... calendar. See what I did there, I'm so good at this". So apparently Dan himself things they are good at it ;) But it felt like a reminder of how they cater us on purpose every now and then and I did taste the salt.
Aye :D I hope it didn't get to you to much, a lot of people seemed to have had that reaction, it's a masterful pause and shows how self aware they are on camera. I already expect them to do that occasionally, it just makes me laugh :). Reminded me a bit about that time in the liveshow where he was teasing the phans by saying he wore Phil's coat. Would you believe??!
That cheeky heartrob. :love1: I already took my metaphoric revenge by watching some trashy edits about the video. You play with the fire in my heart Dan ? Don't be surprsed to get burned :lol:
:philtrash: under spoiler if you're up for it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Aw, they sent the game to John, cute!
marionrae
not a first-time poster

Overall, I love the finished calendar photos, but especially because Phil really reined in the typical goofy faces he pulls in professional shoots. I very much enjoy seeing him having fun and looking confident. September is my favorite -- it would have been May if they had tailored his pants. I mean...js.

@Stakhanov I literally just reblogged that edit a few minutes ago hahaha :philtrash: :philtrash: :philtrash:
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Stakhanov wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:28 pm
George wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 am
Stakhanov wrote: They aren't blind to the major reason they sell out tours and merch. "The fans want to see us look like a couple while playing with dogs? Great, we'll do a professional photoshoot and they can buy their perfect ship". And it works :lol: The D&P merch empire is steadily expanding.
In light of that, i think people might read way to much into their behavior on camera/on a calendar. They are entertainers first and they're good at it ;).
I did cringe a bit when Dan said at the end of the dog video "I guess we'll just have to relive it every day when we get the... calendar. See what I did there, I'm so good at this". So apparently Dan himself things they are good at it ;) But it felt like a reminder of how they cater us on purpose every now and then and I did taste the salt.
Aye :D I hope it didn't get to you to much, a lot of people seemed to have had that reaction, it's a masterful pause and shows how self aware they are on camera. I already expect them to do that occasionally, it just makes me laugh :). Reminded me a bit about that time in the liveshow where he was teasing the phans by saying he wore Phil's coat. Would you believe??!
That cheeky heartrob. :love1: I already took my metaphoric revenge by watching some trashy edits about the video. You play with the fire in my heart Dan ? Don't be surprsed to get burned :lol:
:philtrash: under spoiler if you're up for it.
That video is amazing.
mm_sunny1993
spork

That corgi was absolutely beautiful and so fluffy :loveeyes: It is definitely one of the prettiest dogs I've seen in a long time. I also would have tried to steal him and I'm normally a total cat person.

My favorite picture is definitely July because these Chihuahua's are too cute!(and my birthday is in July) but i also think May and January look quite cool.

The video was really nice i will definitely rewatch it a lot. But it also disappeared in my subscription box like many other videos. Hope that YouTube will fix that again soon.
hello9217
flower crown

Yeah even Tomska commented on twitter about the glitch. It looks like only people with less subscribers show up, most likely less than 500,000. They still show up in your recommended but hopefully it gets fixed soon.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth
senpai

That is a really cute dog. Not sure about the big pink rat next to it though. :dogue:
howadorableright

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:20 pm
i, too, was on ifunny in 2012
back back back back again
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Dan can't even doge meme properly. He's using too correct grammar.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

R.I.P. Coldan.

Your fur was a bit less brushed, and you kind of sucked at playing DDR, but you'll always have my heart :(

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Medium range Philbot tweet:
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:43 pm Medium range Philbot tweet:
5.5/10 tweet, no emoji, no mention of food, no "lmao I'm quirky and weird" branding. Could improve. Nice use of gif
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I actually really like this tweet! Small animals like to crawl into bonfires and then burn to death when the fires are lit, so good on Phil to remind people to check for them before lighting their bonfire. :love2:
liola
rankussy

I shall bring you news from Twitter verse drama! Apparently management was told about the fake Dan account and they're posting proof tomorrow

I'm really curios to see how this is ending. I don't believe it's Dan whatsoever BUT God imagine if it was :lol:

alch
ar·tic·u·late

liola wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:42 pm I shall bring you news from Twitter verse drama! Apparently management was told about the fake Dan account and they're posting proof tomorrow

I'm really curios to see how this is ending. I don't believe it's Dan whatsoever BUT God imagine if it was :lol:
As in the danandwho account?

I'm so in for a Marianne vs. danandwho showdown.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Heads up to anyone who ordered the advent calendar and the calendar at the same time, the calendar will not ship till the advent calendar comes out! If I had known that I would've waited till later to order the advent calendar! :wahh: :wahh:
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
DatCog
blobfish

confusedpanda wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:30 pm Heads up to anyone who ordered the advent calendar and the calendar at the same time, the calendar will not ship till the advent calendar comes out! If I had known that I would've waited till later to order the advent calendar! :wahh: :wahh:
Hmmm i suspected that might be the case as I hadn't received shipping confirmation despite ordering it pretty much straight away. Shame...still, I'd object to shelling out another £5 for postage so I'll just have to be patient.
liola
rankussy

alch wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:18 pm
liola wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:42 pm I shall bring you news from Twitter verse drama! Apparently management was told about the fake Dan account and they're posting proof tomorrow

Yep! I'm following the drama bc I've nothing else to do with my Friday lmao I just went through their curiouscat and man if this was actually Dan I'd actually find it funny with all the things they're dishing out :rofl:

All I want in life now is the account getting an angry Phil DM and then he finds out it's Dan

Lain
eclipse shirt

liola wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Yep! I'm following the drama bc I'm nothing else to have with my Friday lmao I just went through their curiouscat and man if this was actually Dan I'd actually find it funny with all the things they're dishing out :rofl:

All I want in life now is the account getting an angry Phil DM and then he finds out it's Dan
Does anyone on this forum even slightly suspect that Dan legit runs that account? lmao but also :|
sarmstr2

Lain wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:05 pm
liola wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 pm

Yep! I'm following the drama bc I'm nothing else to have with my Friday lmao I just went through their curiouscat and man if this was actually Dan I'd actually find it funny with all the things they're dishing out :rofl:

Does anyone on this forum even slightly suspect that Dan legit runs that account? lmao but also :|
The fact that "Dan" reached out to 3 other fans to help him run the "account" makes me laugh so much. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Lain wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:05 pmDoes anyone on this forum even slightly suspect that Dan legit runs that account? lmao but also :|
Jesus Christ, I hope not lmao. I think the general intelligence level of people on this forum is higher than that.