Dan & Phil Part 59: the literal other half

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: they/them

I have died and gone to heaven. This is ridiculous. Actually ridiculous. They literally posted the Halloween baking and DOGS at the same week and?? I smiled so hard my face hurts I love them oh my god. This is my new favorite D&P video. :lilheart:
fondsmiles
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

AroboticPhil wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 pm
I hope they're doing a tour next year so afterwards they can finally settle down and get a dog because imagine this cuteness all the time...
we said the exact same thing in the exact same minute, i love you
[x]
[x]
sunshinias
spork

mariace wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:16 pm "Let me put some mustard between your buns"
This is my first post on here and I don't want to overanalyze something like this, but I couldn't help but be surprised Dan joking like this so normally like he does it all the time (which he probably does) in a video? No backtrack, no 'weird' face, just a joke and then Phil laughing at it (and not panning to his face making a disgusted face). I don't know it probably doesn't mean anything but it just stuck out to me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they both say "No." right after that? (At the same time <3 )
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
parallel
phabergé

susan2 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:50 pm
Nerds. I love them <3

Ah! Dog vlog!

They're sitting so close together :) :garbage:. And I can see First Dates on their shelf ((:

Wow, that video saved my life
alch
ar·tic·u·late

i loved this so much i'm crying

maybe i'll buy the calendar for the sole reason of getting to see that may picture because anytime i get to see phil with a quiff it's a good day
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

sunshinias wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:23 pm
mariace wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:16 pm "Let me put some mustard between your buns"
This is my first post on here and I don't want to overanalyze something like this, but I couldn't help but be surprised Dan joking like this so normally like he does it all the time (which he probably does) in a video? No backtrack, no 'weird' face, just a joke and then Phil laughing at it (and not panning to his face making a disgusted face). I don't know it probably doesn't mean anything but it just stuck out to me.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they both say "No." right after that? (At the same time <3 )
they did. it was pretty delayed but they did.

however, sexual humor related to putting food on their bodies is uh.....nothing new. i'm convinced it's some kind of kink that they have. i'm continually convinced that the 'how did honey get in my bellybutton' tweet is something that dan actually can relate to.
DatCog
blobfish

Wow, that was incredible! Never have I've been so delighted to have spent £20 on paper, cardboard and chocolate :love2: Will be counting down the hours until it arrives on my doormat and I can see the finished photos in all their glory. In the meantime I guess I'll just rewatch the video a few times :philtrash:
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

fondsmiles wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:23 pm
AroboticPhil wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 pm
I hope they're doing a tour next year so afterwards they can finally settle down and get a dog because imagine this cuteness all the time...
we said the exact same thing in the exact same minute, i love you
omg literally at the exact same time haha!
I don't know if it's very likely or not because even after their tour, they'll probably still travel a lot and have a busy lifestyle..
But like at the end of 2016, they really had that "let's relax and do life things now" moment and moved houses and stuff, so at the end of 2018 (or whatever the time frame for the tour is), I can see them doing that again and getting their house and dog (plus it seems like something planned for a near-ish future based on how they've talked about it in previous liveshows)........ Or maybe it's just all wishful thinking from me :garbage:
fondsmiles
phabergé

you want to watch it. you know you want to
[x]
[x]
000dia000
emo goose

I agree with Phil, Dan in the full out ski-suit is amazing, Dan should definitely wear the jacket (?) part of it all the time, he looks great in it. Phil really suits the suspenders and high collars, while Dan definitely suits the softer curls and a beanie look. The video was great, so soft and fluffy. If I had to say something, is that the last two days I pretty much rolled my eyes at the dog calendar thing. I don't know, I find it cringey somehow, but at the same time I love it. I'm in between. I love the idea, but something about it is just so cheesy that I can't really enjoy it so much? I guess I never understood internet culture's obsessions with dogs, and dog-loving people. Also, the kind of running joke people have where dogs are praised all the time is just annoying. Cats are better. Really, any other animal. Sorry. "Omg, puppers and doggos are great!" trend is really annoying, it's ruined dogs forever for me.
George wrote:To add to the whole coming out/go public discussion, do you think Dan feels a need to be aunthetic? I remember him saying once in a liveshow something along the lines "being authentic makes you happy". I wonder if that is something he has discussed in therapy. While there are business reasons etc. not to confirm anything, it's also stressful to be careful all the time and I wonder how much mental aspects of all this affect to their decisions.
Dan trying to figure out his "authentic" self has probably been due to identity issues with who he is and how he wants to appear. If you look at 2012 vs now, Dan appears very differently because he wants to be appear to his audience in different ways. Maybe he's becoming more himself, he doesn't seem to be posing as may questions as to how he'd like to appear, or what he is to his audience, so maybe he found some solace, idk.

Probably some time ago, Dan had to make a decision about who he wanted to be for the rest of his life, and who he wanted to be for his audience. While Phil has had more time to grow on YouTube and grow as an adult, Dan basically grew up on camera. He's nearly like a child star that becomes reclusive once puberty strikes, if you take someone out of a place to grow comfortably and make mistakes without prying eyes, then what good is that to a person's self esteem? I think during this time, he went through a lot of existential life stuff, that people mostly deal with privately, but Dan had to put out there, or had to at least interpret in some way or form. I do wonder if Dan (and maybe Phil? that's a different ball game) has ever had identity issues. I think Dan has always had difficulty differentiating his "public" and "private" self, he probably struggles in figuring out who he is, and who he wants to be for his audience. Who he "wanted" to be, probably affected who he really was, or at least made his question his true motivations and ambitions. Maybe this was struggling with his sexuality, his private relationships, or maybe just his relationship with his audience? He didn't seem to know what he wanted, and how he wanted to behave, everything was a "joke" and laughable. He's probably still insure of who he is and what's he doing, though. Idk.
:cactus:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Ablissa wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:13 pm
chiccola wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:11 pm That tiny pink outfit.

"Obviously this is Phil's." Dan's comment already was controversial. But Phil's response killed me.

"What pokes out that hole?"

Oh boy. Wow. The innuendos are getting exponentially more wild each time and I couldn't ask for more :rofl:
Omg, YES :rofl: That was amazing, I love Phil's humor hahaha

Also, now on my third re-watch, I love all the outfits to be honest, they did a fantastic job! I can't help but enjoy the February ones the most though, strong aesthetic, suspenders and bow ties, yes please. And Phil, please keep your hair that way, you look amazing, pun very intended. :loveeyes: :loveeyes:

EDIT: ksdsajdasfesaFD THEY LOOK SO GOOD
Okay like they both just look so good? Phil should be banned from NOT having a quiff and Dan looks amazing in that outfit? Hot damn lol
secretagentphan
procrastinator

secretagentphan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 pm
Ablissa wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:13 pm
chiccola wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:11 pm That tiny pink outfit.

"Obviously this is Phil's." Dan's comment already was controversial. But Phil's response killed me.

"What pokes out that hole?"

Oh boy. Wow. The innuendos are getting exponentially more wild each time and I couldn't ask for more :rofl:
Omg, YES :rofl: That was amazing, I love Phil's humor hahaha

Also, now on my third re-watch, I love all the outfits to be honest, they did a fantastic job! I can't help but enjoy the February ones the most though, strong aesthetic, suspenders and bow ties, yes please. And Phil, please keep your hair that way, you look amazing, pun very intended. :loveeyes: :loveeyes:

EDIT: ksdsajdasfesaFD THEY LOOK SO GOOD
Okay like they both just look so good? Phil should be banned from NOT having a quiff and Dan looks amazing in that outfit? Hot damn lol

The fact that for Dans birthday month he wanted them domestically cuddling the dog on the couch with hoodies actually could make me vomit it’s so cute like omg.

Edit: I’m sorry I done goofed
goldenmermaid
drama llama

omg sooooo many puppies!!! asdfghjkhj

Had to list my fave parts:
- deppy in yellow lounging on the floor with sunflowers and puppies
- omg dan in red suspenders YES
- ALL of the valentines shoot tbh <3
- the pomeranians :love2:
- dan and the sleepy baby dog
- the school shoot!
- the interior designer shoot!!!! :stan:

feel like im saying omg a lot but really omg :love2: :love2:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

They did that.

The bit with the Valentines shoot with the pompoms? Ended me. First Lola the sleeply pom napping on Dan's chest because he's warm, then they started talking about the dogs being in love and kissing... Ugh.

I don't buy the calenders (but do one with cats next year and a girl might consider) but I was a bit sad at first over the calender not being homemade this year. Now it's one of the best decisions they've made this year. :ribena:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
blackdenim
procrastinator

I can't watch the dogs vid because my internet is too bad I'm gutted :cry: and I know I've missed loads and we've moved on now but I wanted to reply to a few things from the last thread:
dancy wrote:Regarding Dp Touring LLP, I've seen a few people on Twitter mentioning that it just has to do with Big Potato and their board game and that it's for profit management, not a tour. Thoughts?
I think this is really reaching tbh. The name of the company is literally Dp Touring. I assume Dp stands for Dan and Phil. So Dan and Phil... touring.

If it was to do with the Big Potato game surely it would have been called Truth Bombs LLP (which doesn't exist, I just looked, so it's not like that was taken so they had to go for another name)
dailybooth wrote:irt coming out- my opinion has always been that they will continue doing what they're doing (referring to each other as friend, showing varying levels of affection depending on the time, living together, etc.) for as long as they are in the public eye. The only thing that I can see kinda forcing their hand would be if they want to have kids - they'd need to be married/in a civil partnership of some kind. And, I mean, who's gonna look at two men raising a child as "just bros"? This all may be a long way off or completely off base but, yeah.
I agree with most of what you say here, it's similar to what I said myself initially, but I'm wondering why you think they would 'have' to be married or in a civil partnership to have kids? I'm not trying to be snarky at all I'm genuinely interested. Is there a law that says a same-sex couple can't adopt or use a surrogate unless they're married or in a civil partnership?
Stakhanov wrote:They have always presented themselves as friends. It's always just some part of the audience that has assumed they are a couple. They used to deny it, now they are just silently about it. Letting everyone believe what they want while doing what they do. They don't shy away from flirting with the audience either, and they know they'll find a lot of enthusiasm and views if they prentend to be more "cute", "coupley" or "domestic". So that's at least part of the reason why we see what they show us. From the very first PINOF (it's almost there :love1: ), you can notice that they are aware about it,, with Dan ending the video with "It's supposed to be cheesy". He knows many of us love cheesy. They aren't blind to the major reason they sell out tours and merch. "The fans want to see us look like a couple while playing with dogs? Great, we'll do a professional photoshoot and they can buy their perfect ship". And it works :lol: The D&P merch empire is steadily expanding.
In light of that, i think people might read way to much into their behavior on camera/on a calendar. They are entertainers first and they're good at it ;). I think they already shared their relationship status, but many choose not to believe their denials. They have never come out on a video either - though Dan did share his mental health struggle. I take that as a sign that they either don't want to; think it's irrelevant; or there's also the possibility that they are (mostly) straight and don't want to disenchant the audience - or fear the reaction.
I have to say that although I was doing hypothetical coming out scenarios earlier, I'm largely Phan-Agnostic and you really hit the nail on the head as to why, here. I do think they pander to the audience in terms of cute domestic moments more than we'd like to think they do. I honestly believe they know that Phan is the biggest part of their appeal and they play up to it, constantly, on camera.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're not together but it means I take a lot of the 'omg so soft!' 'love eyes!' stuff with a huge pinch of salt, especially since it's so subjective. For example, I don't think Dan is looking at Phil fondly at all in the January picture. I looked at it for ages trying to work out what everyone else was seeing that I was missing and to me, he's just... looking at him. With a kind of grimace on his face. It's how I look at my brothers when I'm trying to freak them out haha. In fact, this calendar (although I LOVE IT) is the textbook definition of pandering to me - right down to the 'family photo' description. I can almost guarantee someone at IRL wrote that and not D&P: it's just marketing, they know what their audience likes.

(Sorry ignore my negativity go back to drooling at dogs)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I can't wait for all the out of context wedding day edits.
MaggieW
glabella

This is probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. I don' even have words to describe how blessed I feel right now. And I need a 3 hours footage of the dogs because THEY WERE SO LOVELY AND FLUFFY OH MY GOD. And dan and phil were acting so sweet around the dogs :valentine:
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:34 pm I can't wait for all the out of context wedding day edits.
Even the dogs can tell.
Wait...aren't the dogs saying that quote?
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

:happytears: :happytears: I was having a bad day and that video made my day just a lot better! They were so so cute (dan and Phil were too!) Also my phan goggles have been extremely strapped on as of late, even thought I still am a bit cynical about things. But I honestly fully believe that yeah some things can be played up for teasing the fans for fun but most of it, is just them doing what they want and not really caring what others think and that makes me very happy. <3
Also regarding possible flordia vaca, yeah it does seem like that's gonna happen soon. Martyn might have gone first and Phil will go later on, that happened last year if I remember right. God, I wish I was a Lester sometimes, going on vacations for like three weeks every six months with a family that seems to get along amazingly, that's the dream!
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

this video????? a blessing, my crops are watered, my acne is cleared, i am blessed. i am screaming bc we've gotten so much insanely good deppy content in one week. honestly this whole dog video..i was aww'ing and squee'ing the whole time!! they're gonna be such good dog owners whenever they get a dog
:transheart:
fancy_nancy
phabergé

that video was just as cute as I was expecting, how adorable, and omg Dan with that tiny one that kept falling asleep, ohhhhh my heart.
also, this may be a bit creepy of me but Dans ass looks so peachy in this outfit :love2:
dailybooth
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

blackdenim wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:09 pm
dailybooth wrote:irt coming out- my opinion has always been that they will continue doing what they're doing (referring to each other as friend, showing varying levels of affection depending on the time, living together, etc.) for as long as they are in the public eye. The only thing that I can see kinda forcing their hand would be if they want to have kids - they'd need to be married/in a civil partnership of some kind. And, I mean, who's gonna look at two men raising a child as "just bros"? This all may be a long way off or completely off base but, yeah.
I agree with most of what you say here, it's similar to what I said myself initially, but I'm wondering why you think they would 'have' to be married or in a civil partnership to have kids? I'm not trying to be snarky at all I'm genuinely interested. Is there a law that says a same-sex couple can't adopt or use a surrogate unless they're married or in a civil partnership?
Ah, maybe "have to" was too absolute a choice of words. To my knowledge, most place do allow co-parenting adoption. But the adoption process is notoriously difficult, especially for same-sex couples (tho, perhaps it is much smoother in London than the conservative part of the US I'm from). Most adoption agencies do look for stable home environments; and i would wager having the official, legal "seal" of marriage/partnership is heavily viewed as an indicator for that.

edit: sorry if this is off topic but I do enjoy speculating the different directions deps lives could go :?
Last edited by dailybooth on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
:lion: :prideflag:
casualIDBstalker
drama llama

Ok, not sure if this was mentioned yet but I was too lazy to go through all the posts to find out.

So, I think that the baking video kitchen could possibly be the kitchen from the snug/slounge - I have screen shots from the baking video as well as from Phil's "So many boxes" YouNow and things seem to match up. The bump out with the pixel mirror could be to the left of the baking kitchen. What do you guys think?? Also, could that patio in the reflection of the ovens be the same as the one in my signature picture??

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I just... I loved that video so much. And I keep rewatching it and it doesn't seem to get old at all. That little pom falling asleep on Dan is just the actual best thing.
Also.... both of them filling out those brown t-shirts just right.... :drool:

I definitely kept freezing the screen to read the "mood board" papers out of curiosity. They're kinda interesting.

"Rocco and Indie- we can have both dogs for the price of one." IDK why, but I definitely lol'd.

Straight-up stealing quality family photo ideas. SMH.

This was all-around beautiful. :love1:
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

:dog: :undertaledog: That was fuckin' delightful, sooo nice to come home to after work. I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna get the calendar (other than the books, I never bought any of their merch) but I know I'll end up rewatching that if I need a cheer-me-up. :lilheart: