Dan & Phil Part 60: Lady Door Tour

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

rainydays wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 pm scrolling through the hashtag and seeing people's suggestions, the only thing I keep thinking is that phil's bedroom is too small for a lot of them :roll:
I doubt they would be able to do things like picking each other up or the trust fall this year..
Perhaps I'm not nostalgic enough and a little too hopeful, but I'd really like PINOF to be relocated to like.... the slounge. (Or perhaps the moon room if they wanna give a nod to theory of Phil's real bedroom. Heh.)
alch
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

I'm honestly pretty happy about how unshippy a lot of the questions seem to be (so far)
rainydays wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 pm scrolling through the hashtag and seeing people's suggestions, the only thing I keep thinking is that phil's bedroom is too small for a lot of them :roll:
I doubt they would be able to do things like picking each other up or the trust fall this year..
True, that would take away some of the better questions. Hopefully it won't be in that tiny bedroom but it probably will be
greenergrass
stress mushroom

rizzo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:52 pm There's a lot of really good ones, but I've definitely found my favorite:
I had forgotten about this but now this is genuinely all I want. Did Dan say he had bought the whole outfit? And just didn't end up wearing it because the pokemon go series died before the clothes all arrived?
nerdysporks
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her or they/them

One thing I think is really impressive about Dan and Phil is the dedication and liveliness of their fanbase. I've seen a lot of fandoms come and go and the hallmark of a strong and active fanbase is constant efforts to create media about the fandom, etc. For example, I just saw that there's Phanfic awards going on, and there's constant efforts within the Phandom to reach out to one another and develop community in the form of networks and Phanart.

Why do you guys think the Phandom is still going so strong? Do you think it's gaining in momentum or losing it?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

nerdysporks wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 am One thing I think is really impressive about Dan and Phil is the dedication and liveliness of their fanbase. I've seen a lot of fandoms come and go and the hallmark of a strong and active fanbase is constant efforts to create media about the fandom, etc. For example, I just saw that there's Phanfic awards going on, and there's constant efforts within the Phandom to reach out to one another and develop community in the form of networks and Phanart.

Why do you guys think the Phandom is still going so strong? Do you think it's gaining in momentum or losing it?
That's actually interesting, because phandom always comes across to me as one of the least community-oriented fandoms I've been in. That's one reason I'm so partial to forums - that's one of the only few places where it does feel like community and not just small insulated cliques of friends. For, the phanfic awards are great in theory, but I've talked to writers who I consider pretty popular and talented who a) have never heard of the phanfic awards and b) never get nominated, because they don't happen to be active in the clique that runs it. I blame a lot of that just on the general setup of the social media sites phandom is most active on. Twitter and tumblr are both very bubble-oriented, unless you know someone who reblogs/retweets something then you're not very likely to ever be aware of the thing. There's not really any main sources of information that reach a lot of people at once besides maybe updatedphan, which works as a news source for Dan and Phil - not a news source for phandom.

I have posted on tumblr a few times about how it's a shame that phandom doesn't have more of a community feel to it, because the sheer numbers of phandom means that if there was anything that could unify us outside of literally Dan or Phil's direct commands we'd be a pretty powerful force. But as it is, the only thing that makes us act as a cohesive unit are things that come from Dan and Phil directly.
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 am
nerdysporks wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:24 am One thing I think is really impressive about Dan and Phil is the dedication and liveliness of their fanbase. I've seen a lot of fandoms come and go and the hallmark of a strong and active fanbase is constant efforts to create media about the fandom, etc. For example, I just saw that there's Phanfic awards going on, and there's constant efforts within the Phandom to reach out to one another and develop community in the form of networks and Phanart.

That's actually interesting, because phandom always comes across to me as one of the least community-oriented fandoms I've been in. That's one reason I'm so partial to forums - that's one of the only few places where it does feel like community and not just small insulated cliques of friends. For, the phanfic awards are great in theory, but I've talked to writers who I consider pretty popular and talented who a) have never heard of the phanfic awards and b) never get nominated, because they don't happen to be active in the clique that runs it. I blame a lot of that just on the general setup of the social media sites phandom is most active on. Twitter and tumblr are both very bubble-oriented, unless you know someone who reblogs/retweets something then you're not very likely to ever be aware of the thing. There's not really any main sources of information that reach a lot of people at once besides maybe updatedphan, which works as a news source for Dan and Phil - not a news source for phandom.

I have posted on tumblr a few times about how it's a shame that phandom doesn't have more of a community feel to it, because the sheer numbers of phandom means that if there was anything that could unify us outside of literally Dan or Phil's direct commands we'd be a pretty powerful force. But as it is, the only thing that makes us act as a cohesive unit are things that come from Dan and Phil directly.
i have to say that i agree with this-- the one other fandom i've ever been really invested in was glee (or, more accurately, klaine, since glee fandom was completely separated into fandoms for different ships) and while phandom is definitely passionate and active, there's never been the since of community that i got from the glee fandom. i was never active, but there was a sense of one large group of people who often mobilized to do things as a unit (the sheer amount of polls we won, the release of the infamous box scene, etc.)

phandom just feels so much more separated and cliquey, but i think that's just kind of the nature of internet fandom nowadays? most fandoms i see talk about "tumblr fandom" "twitter fandom" and "instagram fandom" (i don't even understand how a fandom functions on instagram btw??? how) as completely separate entities. which makes me kind of sad, but it is what it is, i guess
Rigby
lady door

Hi! I haven't been keeping up with Deppy because I had surgery a week ago (I'm fine) and I've been staying at my mum's since then, but I've just read 20+ pages of this thread and I am up to date!

I'm happy for those who got tickets!
Loved the latest Sims video!
Loved Phil's "so married" moment!
I had forgotten about PINOF so I'm really excited about that!

So many exclamation marks!
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:22 pm My solitary contribution:
:lion: :dead: :lion: :dead: :lion:
Asking the hard-hitting, important questions. :lion: :stan: He still has that guinea pig thing, so hopefully Lion is still around somewhere.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

What Dizzy said basicaly summed up how I felt about it. It's a bit sad that it's cliquey. it's felt that way even when i was in the phandom back in 2012. like, if you're not a super popular phandom blog or someone that is constantly in the activities or whatever, then there's little to no chance of having a "community feel". it's sad.
:transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Skylar wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:02 am

What Dizzy said basicaly summed up how I felt about it. It's a bit sad that it's cliquey. it's felt that way even when i was in the phandom back in 2012. like, if you're not a super popular phandom blog or someone that is constantly in the activities or whatever, then there's little to no chance of having a "community feel". it's sad.
I do want to add that I do still think there are some staggeringly talented artists and writers and creative people of all types in phandom - and I think it's probably natural that some of the cliques that form are pools of talented people who share the same specific interests, which is why something like phanfic awards can seem far reaching when it isn't. Because the people involved really are passionate about what they're doing, and there is a group of them - it's just very hard to bridge that group of writers (and readers) with other groups of writers in phandom. And same, I'm sure, with art.
relatablemood

I guess that might be why so many leave, then. I know the original question was based on why so many had stayed, but I don't think that's true. I think a good bunch of people leave and then come back later, or leave and occasionally lurk in fandom/watch their videos. I think like Dizzy said, it can be very clique-like on Tumblr and you have to play the game to get anywhere (goodbye having any posts that aren't about D&P, hello sending asks to every person you follow) - that can frustrate people, especially when there might be something else they don't like about the phandom that they can't even vent about to anyone because no one's there.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

It really is the nature of fandom these days and I think tumblr itself is dying as well. I really miss livejournal. You had the main fandom community page but there were also others for fic or art. Fandoms in general seemed to shatter when everyone left LJ because people went to different places and tumblr was rubbish for community building. I have a dreamwidth account but there’s not really anyone on there. Dan and Phil are actually doing really well to still have an active fandom in this environment.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
BSV

Did anyone see any halloween jumper requests on the PINOF9 tag? I looked but didn't see any, which was surprising to me!

Edit: this was my 100th post, wow :lol:
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I've been wondering why the Phandom feels different from any other fandom I've been in but haven't been able to put my finger on the reason (other than the curiously low amount of fanfiction produced for a fandom this size) before reading this conversation. I haven't been this involved in a fandom (as in actually talking to people on a daily basis and sometimes contributing to the discussion) since my days in the Finnish Harry Potter fandom about ten years ago, but I still feel less like a part of a community than in some of my previous fandoms where I've almost exclusively lurked. I'm just young enough that by the time I knew enough English to interact with native speakers, LJ was already basically dead, but since the Finnish HP fandom was heavily a forum fandom, I've always craved the clarity and openness of discussion forums while in Tumblr fandoms.

We all know that Tumblr is a jungle and that you basically have to create your own bubble if you want to actually interact with people, but somehow the Tumblr Phandom has taken this to an extreme. People send anon asks instead of having conversations in reblogs, and most public interactions you see are people in cliques promoting each other to get more followers. Even though I've always treated Tumblr as a platform to do some virtual scrapbooking with a possible small audience, it's still upsetting how diffuse the Phandom, on Tumblr and in general, is and how inaccessible the sub-communities are.

All of this gets me to the point I was going to make with this post, which is that I'm so immensely glad that I found IDB. This is the place that set my interest in D&P on fire and has been fueling it ever since (even through the times I haven't been posting myself). This is the place where I made my first Phandom friend and where I feel like I'm being heard and seen without needing to be a renowned content creator or doing magic tricks. Thank you to everyone who is a part of this amazing community! :happytears: :thankyou:
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

this fandoms talk is interesting.
my previous “main” fandom was the glee fandom in which i was mostly mutuals with blaine/ klaine fans and some brittana/ santana stans. glee fandom was shitty but there was some sense of unity? we trended stuff almost daily in 2012 and voted in polls and it all felt rather active?
my last fandom before i found dan and phil was the fandom of the anime love live! and it was divided into cliques far more than the phandom i’d say. i still have an anime acc but no regular group of people i talk to and i feel isolated since i’m not associated to any clique.
the phandom, however, does feel somewhat united to me. im mostly active on twitter and currently have no actual clique im in just mutuals here n there and some friends i’ve made in different fandoms since 2011 and i don’t feel alone like in other parts of twitter. there’s always some sort of engagement on twitter (at least from my own experience.)
i love idb most nowadays tho! idb feels like the best platform to connect with people without the pressure or trying to get accepted into a certain clique or gaining followers etc. we’re all here to discuss whatever and everyone are nice and friendly and overall i’d say idb isn’t intimidating at all (while twitter and tumblr can be quite intimidating and don’t get me started on how much i hate “stan” culture)
quercussp
living flop

I'm not an expert on fandoms, but do you think that the way the phandom is split up is caused by the fact that it's very big and very diverse age wise? The only other fandoms that I'm actively in are much more united, but they also are much smaller and homogenous. I'm also part of the Harry Potter and Sherlock fandom, but I might not be deep enough to actually understand their structure, because to me it seems like it's mostly absent and there is very little actual community, compared to the phandom (but again, I might be wrong as I'm more of a casual HP and Sherlock fan at this point).
sunshinias
spork

BSV wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 am Did anyone see any halloween jumper requests on the PINOF9 tag? I looked but didn't see any, which was surprising to me!

I saw a few, but definitely a lot less than I was expecting. Phandom needs to get on their game, the cuddle sweater is the best gift to us!
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
dancy
procrastinator

Ahum, I quite like this request...
malday
emo goose

998274 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 pm I'm not an expert on fandoms, but do you think that the way the phandom is split up is caused by the fact that it's very big and very diverse age wise? The only other fandoms that I'm actively in are much more united, but they also are much smaller and homogenous. I'm also part of the Harry Potter and Sherlock fandom, but I might not be deep enough to actually understand their structure, because to me it seems like it's mostly absent and there is very little actual community, compared to the phandom (but again, I might be wrong as I'm more of a casual HP and Sherlock fan at this point).
Yes, not to mention a lot of people don't consider themselves part of or want to be associated with the phandom.
I don't think you can compare this to fandoms based around fictional characters, since D&P are real people.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

In response to the phandom community: I've been apart of the phandom since late 2013, but tumblr is my only platform. Never really reached out or tried to engage a whole lot, but enjoyed reading other opinions and keeping up with the hype (reblogging, following, enjoying fics and art). I joined IDB a few months ago and its the most community I've felt in 4 years.
I love that everyone is equal and its completely public for anyone to hop in and join.
(Big thanks to all the mods that help run the site <3). I've not been active in any other fandom so consistently in the past 4 years, so its nice to finally have a place after so long.

tldr; IDB is great and is the most active/welcoming phandom community I've seen!
BSV

sunshinias wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:17 pm
BSV wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 am Did anyone see any halloween jumper requests on the PINOF9 tag? I looked but didn't see any, which was surprising to me!

I saw a few, but definitely a lot less than I was expecting. Phandom needs to get on their game, the cuddle sweater is the best gift to us!
I know right?? It'll be such a missed opportunity if its not used :lol:
Ribona
crusty sponge

dancy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 pm Ahum, I quite like this request...
That is some great advice honestly
allsaintshowell

my one contribution was actually "answer the next question wearing the halloween jumper" :please:
Image Image
fieldoflovers
living flop

So about the fandom unity thing, I've been watching Dan and Phil since 2011 but I wouldn't say I was in fandom until 2012 and the most "community" I ever felt was the radio shows in 2013 because I was active on twitter, everyone would livetweet, Benjamin Cook would livetweet it too(I remember getting a reply from him and I was so happy lol) and idk sometimes I miss that. I was more and am more active on tumblr but maybe because I have a multi-fandom blog, I never really felt like the tumblr phandom was the place for me.
Also, I agree with people that this is the probably the only fandom with distinctions based on the space they're active but I guess that's the nature of rpf shipping.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

What I think PINOF needs is less requests and more deep, insightful questions about their personal lives. Por ejemplo:

Phil, what is your biggest pet peeve about Dan?
If you both could change one physical attribute about the other, what would it be?
What's the last thing you 2 fought about?
What's the last video idea you threw out?

I'd tweet these, but I've hit my personal-comfort limit, so someone please send these to 'em.