Dan & Phil Part 61: The 2017 Mince Pie Codex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

pilotlight wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:50 pm Not surprised at either of the results, although I'm curious if Phil was close to getting into any other house. Maybe Dan's actually a Gryfferin and Phil is a Slitherpuff at heart.
I've read a lot of data analysis of the Pottermore quiz and I know which answers correlate to which houses so excuse me being really nerdy for a bit
Phil was pretty overwhelmingly Hufflepuff, the only questions where he wasn't were the troll on a bridge question (his answer was the Ravenclaw-correlated one) and the forest vs. river one (forest is correlated with Gryffindor and Ravenclaw). I definitely think he has some Slytherin qualities, though.

I was surprised at just how overwhelmingly Gryffindor Dan was (although I imagine he would have had more Slytherin-y answers if he had been given different questions). Exceptions were saying he would want a potion of wisdom (Ravenclaw, obviously), wanting to be liked (Hufflepuff), and the screech owl (there are so many pets that the correlations are really small, but there's a slight correlation with Ravenclaw for the screech owl).
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

now that i've finished, i thought it was a decent video, some good bants, but not something i'll be dying to watch again since the quiz-type videos are never my favorite. if i wasn't such a massive harry potter nerd i'd probably have liked it less.

also phil's comment (and the delivery of said comment) about badgers eating mice for breakfast....should i leave you two alone?
Lucyrg95
sofa crease

phil was such a joy in this video!! :love1: I feel like he made 90% of the fun and is it me or is he increasing his on screen flirtiness with each new video? step ya game up danny
fancybum
senpai

They're so happy and giggly and playful it's disguuuuuusting :lilheart:

Good video but I want them to play a game where they need to kill each other (like gang beasts, but something else). Can you flirt while fighting to the death? probably

Also Dan saying "I'm not competitive" PFFTTT what did they cut right after that because I bet it was Phil's eyes rolling right out of his skull.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alch
ar·tic·u·late

fancybum wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:11 pm Also Dan saying "I'm not competitive" PFFTTT what did they cut right after that because I bet it was Phil's eyes rolling right out of his skull.
Honestly same, I had to pause the video to yell at Dan. Are you the same guy who tells Phil every video how many more games you've won or is that just your doppelgänger?

now i just noticed nathan zed's uploaded so maybe a rewatch can wait
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

That video was cute as fuck to me. Phil was in an adorable mood when it came to teasing Dan, I'm always here for that.

And this definitely serves as a reminder to me that I'm just not a stickler for what type of game they're playing. This definitely wasn't even really a game, but I was still entertained and even mildly invested in the outcome.
sugar wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:51 pm haven't finished it yet but MAN did anyone else do a big double take when phil said 'won't be in the same room as you at night' when dan picked screech owl?
Definitely. Another innocuous-sounding but actually sort of bold remark that they left in. They make fascinating choices these days, don't they? And if Dan watches these videos multiple times over while editing/after there's no way he wouldn't have caught that and no way he wouldn't have understood how their over-zealous audience (... us) would be taking it. I'm happy that we get the little jokes like that now.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I think what Phil actually said was "hopefully it won't sleep in the same room as you", and he was referring to the screech owl, not himself.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

nigel ratburn wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 pm I've read a lot of data analysis of the Pottermore quiz and I know which answers correlate to which houses so excuse me being really nerdy for a bit
Phil was pretty overwhelmingly Hufflepuff, the only questions where he wasn't were the troll on a bridge question (his answer was the Ravenclaw-correlated one) and the forest vs. river one (forest is correlated with Gryffindor and Ravenclaw). I definitely think he has some Slytherin qualities, though.

I was surprised at just how overwhelmingly Gryffindor Dan was (although I imagine he would have had more Slytherin-y answers if he had been given different questions). Exceptions were saying he would want a potion of wisdom (Ravenclaw, obviously), wanting to be liked (Hufflepuff), and the screech owl (there are so many pets that the correlations are really small, but there's a slight correlation with Ravenclaw for the screech owl).
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing it!
kalli
butt chair

New DAPG and Nathan Zed videos in the span of an hour? :stan: :stan: :stan:

Ironically around this time last year when I was procrastinating studying for my exams (like I am right now), I ended up spending a entire evening making Pottermore accounts to take that quiz. I've never been a Harry Potter fan (I was some sort of hipster child who hated anything popular unless I found it first so I never wanted to watch it lol) but I have quite a few friends who love it and every single one of them has always insisted I'd be in Ravenclaw. After 40 attempts, I got primarily Slytherin followed closely by Gryffindor with a few Hufflepuff results sprinkled in, but never once did I get sorted into Ravenclaw :sideeye:

I definitely liked this video more than Shelter 2. As much as I liked the first one with just Phil, I agree with a lot of you that this one was way too rushed and more frustrating than enjoyable to watch. Although I was happy to see the return of the moose hat since I gave it to them :thumb:
fieldoflovers
living flop

chiccola wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:56 pm I just finished watching and I have to say... I know Phil is a literal sunshine, but in recent vieos and especially this one he's practically glowing?? He's smiling so much and teasing Dan all the time and so obviously flirting with him?? It was so noticable in Overcooked, and even in Shelter 2 (despite it being a flop), and now this new HP quiz video is just on another level :o

He seems so happy, I keep wondering if there's a reason for it, but in any case, stay like this Phil, it warms my heart :love1:
Maybe he's pregnant.
No but seriously he was so fond and smiley in the video it was beautiful, also recently he's just seemed so chill I really love it.
eel
dank meme

I need to take the pottermore quiz. I took the myers briggs sorting hat quiz several years ago and got Slytherin.

I really enjoyed this video. I have really been liking Phil in these videos.

Which games would you guys like to see deppy play during gamingmas?
Just a fish who loves watching Dan and Phil.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Ahhh I loved that video, Harry Potter is my one true fandom love so them doing the pottermore quiz makes me v happy :love2:

I agree with both those sortings, just because you're sorted as Gryffindor (for example) doesn't mean you don't also possess traits belonging to the other houses. Hermione, for example, is fundamentally a Gryffindor (she is most motivated by bravery in the face of injustice) but she also has a strong thirst for knowledge (Ravenclaw), is very ambitious (Slytherin) and is also a kind, just and loyal friend (Hufflepuff). All the sorting means is that Dan's personality fits Gryffindor best and Phil's personality fits Hufflepuff best, but it doesn't mean that they can't also possess any of the traits of other houses.

Also smh why did they both want owls and not cats. And also Dan is a fake fan, it's Neville who has the toad, not Ron.

And thus concludes me taking Harry Potter way too seriously, as usual.

somethingsketchy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:16 pm I think what Phil actually said was "hopefully it won't sleep in the same room as you", and he was referring to the screech owl, not himself.
I went back and relistened to it and I think it could be either. I couldn't personally hear the "it", it sounded to me like he said "hopefully won't be in the same room as you at night" - he emphasised the "you", which makes it sound more like he meant that he was talking about himself and not the owl. But your interpretation would also make sense, so who knows :shrug:

Edit: is anyone else scared shitless that the friends they're hanging out with next week will include Felix, and that they're going to use that time to film the promised Truth Bombs expansion pack vid for gamingmas, prompting me to unsubscribe for good? Really hoping they wouldn't be stupid enough to do that, but you never really know with these guys. Someone please reassure me that I'm being overdramatic and they would never dare :(
Last edited by captainspacecoat on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malday
emo goose

somethingsketchy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:16 pm I think what Phil actually said was "hopefully it won't sleep in the same room as you", and he was referring to the screech owl, not himself.
Yes he was talking about the screech owl, but tumblr is already misquoting it.

I'll just echo everybody else, they were adorable in this one.
captainspacecoat wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 pm Edit: is anyone else scared shitless that the friends they're hanging out with next week will include Felix, and that they're going to use that time to film the promised Truth Bombs expansion pack vid for gamingmas, prompting me to unsubscribe for good? Really hoping they wouldn't be stupid enough to do that, but you never really know with these guys. Someone please reassure me that I'm being overdramatic and they would never dare :(
I would't worry about that. Maybe it's their annual management's Christmas party, or just an irl friend's party.
If they ever play Truth Bombs on the channel again i expect it to be with Tyler or even some of the gleamers.
Last edited by malday on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
000dia000
emo goose

Not a gaming video, but a collab video, alright. No complaints. I don't think it's a video I would re-watching but it might slowly accumulate clicks over a long period of time by curious phans asking the question. I did this quiz before. The old quiz put me as a Slytherin and the new one a Ravenclaw. Of course, the designated traits just don't make sense most of the time for a lot of quizzes, at least Pottermore put more thought into considering someone having multiple traits.

Did anybody else have trouble hearing the two? The background music was louder than usual. The "quality" in editing wasn't great, but it wouldn't be noticeable only that I suppose I've watched videos so much I just notice it because I'm sad.

Phil really lead the video today! It's amazing how much more he's opened up and become more forward and louder. The one thing I don't like is him calling Dan a rat a lot, if it wasn't them it would be just mean. This is like the discussions people have where they think Dan is bullying Phil, but now it's vice versa. I know it's just bants, don't @ me, but it did take me by surprise. Phil really is as snakey as Dan has been saying he is off camera. This is the true him. We were too weak to notice :ribena:

Special mention goes to Phil's comment about Dan's Slytherin slipping inside of him [paraphrased] that one seemed to go over both their heads.
:cactus:
citizen_erased
truth bomb

captainspacecoat wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 pm And also Dan is a fake fan, it's Neville who has the toad, not Ron.
yeess oh my god this comment bothered me way more than it should've :lol: :lol:

Overall, I liked both yesterday's and today's video, but I also wasn't super impressed by either of them. Fun to watch once, probably won't rewatch either, but I am very curious now what the rest of the month is going to be like. I did not expect Pottermore at all.

I'm not super surprised Dan's a Gryffindor, since I personally tend to put anyone with mental health issues and a successful public job in Gryffindor anyway, because of the sheer amount of courage it takes to deal with media & fans and the constant exposure. But I would've actually expected Phil to be more of a Slytherin, he's such a sneaky one :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Normally I'm on the skeptical side of people hearing even vaguely phan-implied things in videos, but I just watched that bit like five times in a row and I cannot hear "it" - at best I hear "hopefully won't be in the same room as you at night" and Phil's inflection made me assume he was talking about himself not being in the same room as Dan at night, since Dan will have a screech owl. So that one doesn't ring to me as a true misquote, just differing interpretations.
saffarinda
truth bomb

nigel ratburn wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 pm
pilotlight wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:50 pm Not surprised at either of the results, although I'm curious if Phil was close to getting into any other house. Maybe Dan's actually a Gryfferin and Phil is a Slitherpuff at heart.
I've read a lot of data analysis of the Pottermore quiz and I know which answers correlate to which houses so excuse me being really nerdy for a bit

that’s v interesting! i also know that picking the moon correlates to slytherin (idk what the stars correlates to though).

overall though, it’s really you that picks the house rather than the sorting hat (we know it takes your opinions into account, and it’s where you’d thrive best over the course of 7 years) so irl dan would probs just pick hufflepuff to be with phil :garbage: (my harry potter au is already being written in my head)
25/04/2017 - #blessed
malday
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:06 am Normally I'm on the skeptical side of people hearing even vaguely phan-implied things in videos, but I just watched that bit like five times in a row and I cannot hear "it" - at best I hear "hopefully won't be in the same room as you at night" and Phil's inflection made me assume he was talking about himself not being in the same room as Dan at night, since Dan will have a screech owl. So that one doesn't ring to me as a true misquote, just differing interpretations.
There was no "it" but there was no "i" either, that's how it was misquoted.
alien
procrastinator

Wee I tried my hand at timestamps
I love the intro
00:45- Phil: “I think you might have corrupted me and brought me onto another house because I’ve been around you so long I feel like some of the Slytherin has seeped into me from you.” -There’s a slight widening of Phil’s eyes followed by his intense non blinking robo stare for several secs while dan talks that makes me :wink: :sideeye:
1:23- phil’s eminem impression
1:45-phil’s first impression of a river is that he doesn’t want his socks to get wet
3:30-phil is a ginger cat at heart...I thought you had mousy brown hair mr. lester...and phil thinks dan is a black cat “ok thank you right sure”
3:34-phil is picking his animal, they come across the screech owl which dan says sounds like phil then later picks the screech owl for himself
5:25- “calm down sassy oat”
5:36-dan’s look at phil when phil says he wants to be really large and smash up castles
6:06-”well im already friends with this rat so that’s alright” and dan’s reaction to it
6:15-I cant make out what dan’s says here, “i’d rather you were ?? ??? I’m just putting it out there” someone fill me in please
6:45 -about confusing the troll dan: “wow that would just be you having a conversation with it. the troll would be like get me out of here.”
7:40 - the whole bit about phil making dan change something in the room so that phil can prove he’s good at ‘finding things’ is just gold to me.
8:24 i’m definitely not going to point out dan wearing grey sweatpants
9:02 - dan is aware that the moon is also part of space right? lol
9:45 - dan: “professor c*ck f*ck”
10:10 dan: “i’m not a very competitive person i will happily always let my friends win at games.” ok Daniel Sore Loser Howell, sure.
10:50 dan wants to be praised but goes with liked
11:16 “bow chika glory”
12:40 dan’s going to be the ginny and spend quality time with tom “tom is voldemort, phil”
12:53 scented candle haul
13:34 grumpy gryffindor - perfect description imo
15:02 sneeze

I'm with Phil on these types of videos I really like them because get to talk about/through things which I will always want more of.
alien
procrastinator

000dia000 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:53 pm

Phil really lead the video today! It's amazing how much more he's opened up and become more forward and louder. The one thing I don't like is him calling Dan a rat a lot, if it wasn't them it would be just mean. This is like the discussions people have where they think Dan is bullying Phil, but now it's vice versa. I know it's just bants, don't @ me, but it did take me by surprise. Phil really is as snakey as Dan has been saying he is off camera. This is the true him. We were too weak to notice :ribena:

Special mention goes to Phil's comment about Dan's Slytherin slipping inside of him [paraphrased] that one seemed to go over both their heads.
I agree so much about Phil leading the video and how great it is to see more of his personailty in the gaming videos.

And I don't think your special mention went over Phil's head tbh ahaha. I think he caught it right at the very end of his sentence.
Whommel
sofa crease
Pronouns: They/them

I'm deep into HP fandom right now (it took me years (!) to get over book seven enough to get back into it, so I'm happy I can finally enjoy it again) and this quiz just made me so happy. I immediately went and retook the quiz with a newer email adress and am happy that I'll be sharing a common room with Phil. :D
It finally put the Dan speculation to rest as well and I've never seen him as a slytherin so I'm quite happy with that.
And I love the A Very Potter Musical reference everytime they say it, it's so wonderfully stupid. I wonder if they actually know where it's from.
dancy
procrastinator

Can't watch it right now but I was wondering whether it's appropriate/understandable for someone who knows hardly anything about Harry Potter? (srry dont kill me pls)
Ablissa
pastel persona

dancy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 am Can't watch it right now but I was wondering whether it's appropriate/understandable for someone who knows hardly anything about Harry Potter? (srry dont kill me pls)
It's totally understandable in my opinion, although there are some references that you might not fully understand.
OhItsElliott
drama llama
Pronouns: He/him

alien wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am 6:15-I cant make out what dan’s says here, “i’d rather you were ?? ??? I’m just putting it out there” someone fill me in please
I think he said "I'd rather you were Eddie Redmayne. Just putting it out there". Also known as that really cute lead actor of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. So, wish phil were a hunky actor / ex-model... hmm interesting comment to make there danny ;) :sideeye:
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Whommel wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:20 am And I love the A Very Potter Musical reference everytime they say it, it's so wonderfully stupid. I wonder if they actually know where it's from.
I wonder this, too-- it seems to me that "Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders" has become so ubiquitous that people don't realize that it's not actually in the books (kind of like Carole from Glee not actually being a nurse) and that it comes from AVPM. I'm curious to see if other people on here recognize it as a reference to AVPM or didn't know/remember.