Dan & Phil Part 61: The 2017 Mince Pie Codex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

bookfiend wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:18 am
whatdoiknow wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:05 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:27 pm
sonicgreen wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:10 pm Yikes ok update: why do I feel like they are absolutely REACHING for content?? Like there wasn't near enough banter to make up for today's content… I hate to be, like, ungrateful for the everyday content but… :|
I actually think that they probably are looking at the games people are requesting now, and giving some of them a go - which is sort of reaching for content but also sort of not since the response even on this forum proves that there was an audience that got excited over the idea of them playing it.

But if that's what they're doing, then it really makes me wish that more people were suggesting better games for them to play. I'm definitely of the opinion that I can take a majority of shitty flash games if we're getting this much content, but I do kind of want them to at least be things that are mildly entertaining and this def wasn't. (They were. The game itself wasn't.)
I agree that they are looking at games people are requesting, and there seems to be some positive reaction. My guess is that a lot of the twitter crowd is younger (and that's probs where they see most requests), and were requesting the game for nostalgia purposes; and like you said, there's some people on here that loved it and got excited about it. And don't get me wrong, that's great that some of the audience got nostalgic and excited about the game. I just hope there's not too many of these "nostalgia" based games - at least not the ones teens are recommending, because (as you can see on this forum) a lot of us are too old to even have heard of this game, and it just ends up being a boring kids game rather than a cute road down memory lane. (I hope that didn't come out harsh or demeaning - of course it's great that the teenagers / younger viewers enjoy these kinds of videos, I just think it's clear that the older portion of the audience are definitely not fans of these kinds of games).

But on a positive note, deppy were still fairly entertaining in this vid, and phil continues to push his boundaries which is great (and v entertaining).
I kind of agree that the reason for Poptropica being recommended is younger fans requesting for nostalgia. However, my issue with this is that it’s not nostalgia for D&P. I mean Dan’s 26 and Phil’s 30 and like a lot of us on this site, it clearly wasn’t their childhood experiences. I think that’s what throws a lot of fans off vids like this. It just turns into two grown men playing a game they don’t really get and awkwardness ensues.

Nostalgia only really works if the gamer is sharing their experience with you, which is why games like Crash Bandicoot, Sonic Mania, Bubble Bobble, Katamari and Bishi Bashi all worked as videos. It’s why I kinda liked the not-a-game Pottermore quizzes, because we know Dan is a fan and grew up in the rise of Pottermania.

Maybe I’m just being too cynical though. :shrug:
I think this is spot on tbh. The nostalgia based content is usually great because it's genuinely what they (or usually Phil) are nostalgic for. It's something they love and want to share with us and each other. It's an authentic experience for everyone involved, even if you're not familiar with the game they're playing. This is just watching adults playing a game meant for kids that was developed when Phil was already in uni, it just doesn't really work. It's probably nice for the people who played this as kids to see them play it, but it doesn't make entertaining content for most other people (even including D&P themselves tbh because they didn't seem particularly into it).
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

despite me playing poptropica a bit growing up i still found this video incredibly boring... :c i feel bad but it just wasn't interesting? some good bants here and there but still overall not very interesting, unfortunately. i hope there's a better video tomorrow.
:transheart:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Video's terrible. Can't even bring myself to finish it yet tbh. Fic advents won me over before actual Dan and Phil did.

That said, I'll echo everyone else in saying that this especially-shameless new Phil we're getting is great! Perhaps, as last years' gamingmas was our introduction to a more fond and comfortable D&P, this gamingmas is the awakening of a more true-to-himself Phil on camera. Here. For. It.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

I watched the entirety of the new vid but still found the game incredibly boring. When they pick games like this for the nostalgia factor it always comes off as bizarre to me, because it's not THEIR nostalgia, it's the nostalgia of a portion of their audience. I'm 19 and was obsessed with Club Penguin for a couple of years when I was younger but never once picked up Poptropica (though the name sounds vaguely familiar). I know I've said in the past that I watch their gaming videos for the bants, not really for the gameplay, but this game was so boring that the bants really suffered. The 'mile-high club' line was the most interesting part, and it all went downhill from there. I kept checking the time on the video - not a good sign. Deppy, PLEASE pick something more interesting - gamingmas has been a bit hit and miss so far.

*goes to rewatch mark of oxin and bomb disposal vids*
Viofish
glabella
Pronouns: she/her

11:05 dan's hickey in the new video.

:garbage:
"when you finna nut but no one wants to help with your kink"
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Viofish wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:20 am 11:05 dan's hickey in the new video.

I think I see what you're referring to, but i think thats just a red blush patch at the top of his chest/base of his neck? Kind of like the little rosy patch that appears on his jawline (i love).
JustMarie
drama llama

A little off topic, but as I was realizing that it's already December, I remembered that Youtube Rewind should be uploaded soon.
So I was wondering if someone knows if there's some update so I can stop thinking about it?
kay
phabergé

fieldoflovers wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:06 pm I think with the nostalgia or flash games in general, it works better when they have a sense of attachment to the games. Like club penguin, the impossible quiz and things like that felt more natural whereas with this, they didn't seem excited by the game. I had never heard of the game before so maybe that's why i didn't love it, i'm hoping for that the rest of gamingmas has videos that i like more.

also everyone already discussed it but i loved phil making mile high club jokes that was glorious
agree with this. this video was 100% a reach and i thought it was just me having never heard of it, kind of glad to come on here and see it wasn't. i had to go back like three times because i had zoned out from boredom. it's so easy to tell when they're not into it and that translates so blatantly into their level of enjoyment and the quality of the bants. i do like that they're listening to their viewers and at least giving new things a try, and they can't all be winners. (although now looking back at the 2016 videos... they were all pretty much winners aside from the #spons).

a tree-hunting, apartment-decorating, festivity-filled ditl would be a great mood-shifter right now *shouts in the direction of london*
hello9217
flower crown

JustMarie wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:17 am A little off topic, but as I was realizing that it's already December, I remembered that Youtube Rewind should be uploaded soon.
So I was wondering if someone knows if there's some update so I can stop thinking about it?
December 6 which is Wednesday for me!
autumnhearth
senpai

sonicgreen wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:29 am
Viofish wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:20 am 11:05 dan's hickey in the new video.

I think I see what you're referring to, but i think thats just a red blush patch at the top of his chest/base of his neck? Kind of like the little rosy patch that appears on his jawline (i love).
Dan has said that bamboo jumper is itchy. I forget if it gives him a rash, but I remember he said it affects his skin. And it’s not warm either. :roll:

Haven’t watched the video, will do tomorrow.
DeadlyNova
living flop

I can't believe Dan just referenced two of my biggest fandoms(Alvin and the Chipmunks and Gorillaz) in one video.
DatCog
blobfish

Another one who had never heard of Poptropical before, which is unsurprising given my age, but I do have teenage daughters and they didn't know it either (we were more about Club Penguin, Moshi Monsters and Webkinz in our house).

It was okay...nothing to write home about but it made me smile a couple of times. Hopeful for something a bit more engaging (for both me and them) tonight! I'd be very happy for them to revisit some of last year's offerings, like Who Wants to be a Millionaire and the Kinect games. So far my ratings would be:

1. Shelter 2 - 6/10 (lovely game design, loved the hats, gameplay felt rushed and choppy)
2. Pottermore - 7/10 (some good bants, always enjoy HP stuff, nice jumpers)
3. Poptropical - 4/10 (meh, mile-high Phil saved it from being a 3/10)
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I’ve just had an email from redbubble with 20% off today only so if anyone wanted some IDB merch then use promo code DAYFIVE.

In case you missed why, the reason we are doing this (& also donating money to a charity of your choice) - #spon
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I'm with every one else who found this video really boring. I have a vague memory of signing up for poptropica when I was 10 or 11 (so around 2006/7) and finding it mind-numbingly dull, and also being irritated by the ugly character designs, so this video did absolutely nothing for me. I agree with others who've said that Dan and Phil playing "nostalgic games" that they are not nostalgic for makes no sense, and as such this video lacked authenticity to me. I kept checking the time in hopes that the video would be nearly finished, which says a lot. 4/10.

I think whoever said that the reason the gamingmas videos have been a bit lacking so far is because they aren't pre-filming is spot-on. I wish they wouldn't rely on the youtube comments - I don't really care what their subscribers want them to play, I want Dan and Phil to play what they want to play. And I don't mean 'what they want to play for leisure in their spare time', I mean 'what they want to play on the gaming channel'. I'm someone who's here more for the bants than I am for the games, but what I crave is a sense of genuineness and authenticity, and this video (and Shelter, if I'm being completely honest) have felt a bit empty to me.

What I loved about gamingmas last year was that they played such a great mix of games, and so many of them were ones they had played as kids so felt a genuine nostalgia for (Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, Katamari, Bubble Bobble, Bishi Bashi), as well as other interesting games that I'd never heard of but had enough substance behind them to genuinely engage Dan and Phil in the gameplay.

We are only three videos into a potential 24, so I definitely haven't given up on them, and I'm sure they'll deliver the goods soon enough, but I really do hope we don't have to suffer through too many more videos as dull as this one.

Also, re: driving mentions - I didn't interpret Dan's tweet to suggest he owns a car, just that he wants to get a Christmas tree from somewhere in close proximity to their flat because he is unable to drive there (likely, because he doesn't have a car).
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

captainspacecoat wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 am I wish they wouldn't rely on the youtube comments - I don't really care what their subscribers want them to play, I want Dan and Phil to play what they want to play. And I don't mean 'what they want to play for leisure in their spare time', I mean 'what they want to play on the gaming channel'. I'm someone who's here more for the bants than I am for the games, but what I crave is a sense of genuineness and authenticity, and this video (and Shelter, if I'm being completely honest) have felt a bit empty to me.
:stan:
Catallena wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:14 pm And there's still something creepy about grown men joining platforms like these made as safe spaces for kids.. D&P don't have bad intentions, but they might inspire other adults to check it out and be weird there :?
In connection to this: I've recently been a bit irritated by their (especially Phil's) sexual comments. Don't get me wrong, I am an adult and don't have a problem with it and welcome more mature & less "persona" content. At the same time I find it weird that they make videos that cater to a younger audience (like this one) and then talk about pie sex and mile high club. Their stage show is for all ages and they meet kids for Make a Wish that don't seem much older than 12 - but then their online content is becoming more and more mature.
I don't have kids or younger siblings so it's hard for me to tell if something is actually inappropriate. What do you guys think? I know that some of you have children who watch the content, how do you handle the increase of sexual comments (they aren't even innuendos anymore at this point)?

Side fact: The average age in the D&P survey was 16.6 years with a standard deviation of 3.6, which means that roughly 2/3 of the "phandom" audience are between 13 and 20 years old.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:57 am In connection to this: I've recently been a bit irritated by their (especially Phil's) sexual comments. Don't get me wrong, I am an adult and don't have a problem with it and welcome more mature & less "persona" content. At the same time I find it weird that they make videos that cater to a younger audience (like this one) and then talk about pie sex and mile high club. Their stage show is for all ages and they meet kids for Make a Wish that don't seem much older than 12 - but then their online content is becoming more and more mature.
I totally get where you're coming from, but at the end of the day Dan and Phil are both adults and I think it's unfair to expect them to continue to make content that is catered to kids. Sure, they have a young demographic, but they also have lots of older people watching too, and personally I would really hate it if they suddenly decided to regress and make their content completely child-friendly.

I think it's up to parents to monitor what their young children (I'm talking, 13 and younger maybe) watch on youtube if they're concerned about swearing or sexual themes, but I don't think Dan and Phil should have to act a certain way just because there may be young kids watching. I think their best content is when they are authentically themselves, and to me that involves them acting their age (at least to a certain extent, I'm not saying there is one proper way to be an adult, just that I prefer them not to refrain from behaving in the way that comes most naturally to them as grown adults in their late 20s and early 30s). I'm also intrigued as to why it is you find Phil's sexual comments especially irritating, more than Dan's? Is it because Phil's solo channel is more child-friendly? Not judging you, just genuinely curious.

I also don't really find it creepy that they spent maybe 20-30 minutes on a children's website for a youtube video - they didn't have any meaningful interactions with anyone, didn't troll any of the kids, and played like a minute each of a couple of games. It's not like they trawled the site for hours with the intention of seriously befriending minors, it was all very shallow and comedic and I doubt any children on the site were affected in any way.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I guess my point is a bit hard to describe. I found it strange that they played a game that is made for children (which is why I quoted Catallena) because that video is bound to attract younger viewers. At the same time, they are being much more mature with their commentary - it's just a really strange contrast to me.

I don't mean to criticise them being more mature; after all, I am also in their "older" demographic and would love more content catered towards me. I am just a bit irritated about the Make-A-Wish kids I guess, because the current Dan and DAPG content strike me as too mature for those kids' ages.

Regarding your question @captainspacecoat (wow that mention tag is obnoxiously red), I am probably biased because Phil has been dropping so many more sexual comments than we are used to, and I feel like they are quite blunt too ("racy pie sex" instead of just an American Pie open-ended comment). I am definitely not on team "angel bean" if that is what you mean. I just think there's such a thing as too much - which, of course, is a subjective feeling and I don't expect others to feel the same way.
Last edited by LtrllySusan on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autumnhearth
senpai

LtrllySusan you bring up some great points. As a mom with a kid that loves Dan and Phil, it is a bit annoying in cases like these- kids game with sexual jokes. I just always have to preview the video. I think all the videos that I haven’t let him watch are mainly for the content of the game itself, not the commentary. Horror games obviously, but also Happy Wheels and a couple others I’m forgetting. (I’m sure the mile high club reference will be fine, but I’ll have to watch for the pie sex). But I don’t want Phil to become Stampy. I am here for him becoming more relaxed and shedding the innocent persona. It does worry me a bit for Interactive Introverts, but as long as it’s mostly innuendos, we should be fine. :shrug:
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I’m actually surprised about people that are now finding their humour to adult because I actually think they are very tame when they make innuendos that not explicit and they are the type of jokes you’d get if you knew the reference behind it and would just go over kids heads. I saw people that didnt get the mile high club joke and saying pie sex is hardly overly dirty, once again if you haven’t seen American pie you wouldn’t get the reference. I really don’t think it’s doing any harm to younger viewers. They don’t sit and talk about sex in graphic terms it’s simply harmless jokes.

I really like that they are trying to make more adult humour jokes. Well more phil because dan has always done this which is why I’m surprised that this conversation has just come up. Dan doesn’t try to baby his audience I think he believes his younger audience are intelligent and understand his humour so I don’t see this being a issue.

I have a younger sister who’s 13 and I have no problem with her watching them and too be honest their humour is to tame for her she has a very adult sense of humour. Because she couldn’t care less about whatever their relationship is she’s there for the banter between them and stupid jokes that make. When you watch people like Shane Dawson that has no problem with making adult jokes what dnp say is just them being stupid.

Like someone else said if parents are concerned to what their children are watching it for them to monitor them. Dnp shouldn’t have to make their jokes more child friendly.

Also you know how many dnp porn blogs iv come across that have anal porn and dnp smut that they wrote and they have their age in their bio saying 14!!!! A jokes about pie sex is nothing! Their innocents is already gone.

Sorry this isn’t very articulate I’m on a phone writing this as fast as I can before I go out the door.
hello9217
flower crown

I completely get where you coming from but I think this is a fine line that dan and phil, especially phil, are on. Like for years people would say well Phil is an older man so it’s kind of creepy that he caters to a younger audience. I follow people on twitter and tumblr who constantly say that they wish Phil would act more of his age.
So I think it was the slime video where Phil became a bit more adult in his humor and was the starting point of him growing and people love it and want to see more. Now it’s the end of the year and Phil is really letting his personality shine. Like if you watched any 2008/2009 Phil video then you know that he was always flirty and slightly taboo.
Dan has always been the one that has been more inappropriate, like the boy constantly talks about kinks and furries. Even in the first gamingmas video he said he wanted Santa to punish him for being naughty. But now that Phil is the one who’s making more adult jokes it’s suddenly creepy again. Sorry to go on this whole tangent but I know that Phil has repressed a large part of his personality for years years in order to be family friendly and now is starting to feel comfortable showing it again and I for one am so happy about that.
blackdenim
procrastinator

@LtrllySusan Just wanted to say that your comments have made it all click into place why the Poptropica video felt so weird to me. I really didn't enjoy it - I found the gameplay boring, they didn't seem into it and there was something else I couldn't put my finger on that made me feel uneasy which is basically what you said about Phil's comments.

Phil is around the same age as me, and I know that I would hate it if I had to censor myself the way he has done for the last few years (even if it was only for work stuff) when we all know from older vids that he's naturally quite cheeky and has a warped sense of humour (in a good way)! I am all for him embracing his more mature side and making dirty jokes - I find them funny for the most part and I think it's good for him to feel he can be authentically himself online - and same with Dan, obviously.

What I don't like is them playing a video for children that was requested out of a sense of nostalgia from (mainly) their younger fans, and making references throughout the video to the fact that this is a game for kids and it was mostly younger fans that requested it, and then filling that video with innuendos. It highlights the age gap between them and what they perceive the largest segment of their audience to be and it just feels... weird.

Phil stopped doing 'Draw Phil Naked' I thought probably because he realised a lot of those watching and sending in drawings were not his peers, but probably people around half his age, and it could be seen as creepy. I think this falls on that side of the line too.

I'd have had no problem with the exact same comments in a video where they were playing a more 'grown up' game or a flash game or whatever but something about them in context of the Poptropica vid felt really off to me idk.
Kimship
glabella

I don't think their humor is too adult for teens, even young teens. Maybe this is just because I've been reading romance novels and adult historical fiction(Jean Auel and Ken Follett and the like) since I was 12. And this was before I had access to the internet; nowadays a 12 year old has probably already been exposed to far more racy things.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I don't actually think Dan and Phil meant for this to be children's content - they referred to it nonstop as a nostalgia game and referenced how people used to play this from like 2006 to 2012 - meaning that in their eyes, the people enjoying the video most would be people in their mid to late teens right now who played it when they were younger. I didn't get any impression at all that they intended on people 6-12, in the actual demographic to enjoy the game as it is currently, to be the ones they were appealing to. So in that regard the humor doesn't bother me at all.

I also agree with people saying that Dan's been like this all along. I don't think Phil suddenly joining in on an element that's been established by Dan since the beginning of the channel should make a staggering difference in what is age appropriate or not.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

I have a 4yo and a 7yo. The sex jokes (pie sex was heard by the 7, but she was like "what does sex have to do with pie" and mile high club went right over their heads, looking for the penis on the statue wasn't commented on) they don't register at all on them. It's the same level as like Shrek's jokes. A lot of sex jokes aren't understood by kids until they are old enough to understand, does that make sense?
hello9217
flower crown

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:36 pm I have a 4yo and a 7yo. The sex jokes (pie sex was heard by the 7, but she was like "what does sex have to do with pie" and mile high club went right over their heads, looking for the penis on the statue wasn't commented on) they don't register at all on them. It's the same level as like Shrek's jokes. A lot of sex jokes aren't understood by kids until they are old enough to understand, does that make sense?
Yeah exactly. I’m 20 and sometimes if a cartoon I watched when I was 10 comes on and I re-watch it I suddenly pick up on the dirty jokes now. When I was 10 though I never even thought about it because I didn’t really have much knowledge on sex or what was considered “adult humor”