Dan & Phil Part 62: Cat Master and Boy-slave

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I have such a soft spot for Millionaire so I’m glad they played it again. There were so many good things in this video - especially all of the memories and the small little pieces of knowledge they shared with us.

These last few videos - Skyrim, Charades, Rainbow Island, and Millionaire show they D&P are at their best when they work together
gnostic
stress mushroom

How you gotta claim to be weabos and not know what an obi is? SMH
Just here for the marketing skills
fancybum
senpai

Just like yesterday and the day before: that video was perfection. And I love that they've mentioned Charades in the past two videos :lol: I think that video was a turning point so yes, continue to acknowledge that it was art. The past 3 days have made the unevenness of the earlier vids this month all worth it. I don't know if they can keep up this momentum, but it's been such a good week it doesn't matter :love1:

Maybe the livestream will be tomorrow then? Overcooked again, or..

edit: Honestly I wish they would utilize twitter polls more often; literally let us pick the games once in awhile. I want Jenga.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I was looking forward to a stream today but honestly that video was so good that I'm just... totally okay it. I kind of hope they do one more stream but I'm also okay sacrificing that totally if the videos they keep putting out daily are on par with what we've gotten over the last week. When they hit a stride, they really start to shine. Like fancybum I don't know how long they'll keep momentum up but gamingmas is already a solid win for me.
autumnhearth
senpai

Well that was a nice surprise! We rewatched the first Millionaire game a couple days ago. They did get lucky with many of these questions, they knew a few answers that I didn’t. Bless Phil and his excitement over novelty checks. I can see him wanting to walk into the bank with one, but getting it there is a whole other story. The Weakest Link is supposedly still a sore subject for him. One word: llama. I knew the parka borrowing must have been a long time ago if it was at Reading Festival. 7 years, bless!

Interesting that Dan might be up for a clean and jerk with Phil, just not with his grandma watching. This is good character development from, what 2011? when he said he didn’t want to have an interrobang with Phil. Opposite is dirty and slow. “Wooo!” “Wow.” Phil stopping Dan before he answers, “zebity, slow down, get off your roundabout” and physically blocking him so we wouldn’t have another “you idiot, you should not have done that!” this year. “I’m the shaggy dog and you’re the clean and jerk”. Okay.

I knew an obi was a sash, but I guess it’s sweet that they called Mimei. I actually have a song about bronze being made from copper and tin, so that will be in my head for the rest of the day. There is no way I would have gotten the last one either. Well done boys.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That was so fun, Phil so into it and by turns excited and anxious, their discussions of why it’s that answer, and doing so well, plus Mimei. Phil said “Zebedee”, it’s a character from The Magic Roundabout, the guy whose body is half made of a spring.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

gnostic wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:09 pm How you gotta claim to be weabos and not know what an obi is? SMH
I was thinking the same thing :eh: and also a bit disappointed at mimei for literally living in Japan and still not being sure about what an obi is :roll:

I liked this video, though I can tell how tired I am by how much I'm just going "yeah 'twas alright I guess" :lol: but I do love those random knowledge type quizes, and I appreciate how much Phil cares about even earning fictional money. (Though the segue's into tour spons are getting a bit annoying imo. I get why they do it, but also like, I already have tickets can you just let me watch this game in peace)
autumnhearth
senpai

flarequake wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:49 pm That was so fun, Phil so into it and by turns excited and anxious, their discussions of why it’s that answer, and doing so well, plus Mimei. Phil said “Zebedee”, it’s a character from The Magic Roundabout, the guy whose body is half made of a spring.
Oh! I vaguely remember watching that a few times when my son was younger. Thanks, that makes sense!
Ablissa
pastel persona

citizen_erased wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 pm
gnostic wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:09 pm How you gotta claim to be weabos and not know what an obi is? SMH
I was thinking the same thing :eh: and also a bit disappointed at mimei for literally living in Japan and still not being sure about what an obi is :roll:

I liked this video, though I can tell how tired I am by how much I'm just going "yeah 'twas alright I guess" :lol: but I do love those random knowledge type quizes, and I appreciate how much Phil cares about even earning fictional money. (Though the segue's into tour spons are getting a bit annoying imo. I get why they do it, but also like, I already have tickets can you just let me watch this game in peace)
I get what you mean, but I actually find them kind of funny. They poke fun at it themselves (Dan's reactions) and it ends up humorous instead of annoying. I think they're really self-aware and it shows through all of their #spon.
ams
smol bean

I can't get over the "you borrowed my parka to go to Reading festival and lost it" "okay that was 7 years ago" anecdote. I love their little stories :love1:
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

I really loved this video, so so much. I like the kind of games that are sort of quizzes because I can play along at home and feel like I was guessing with them. I was shouting from my home "it's intercostal!!!" "Brass!!! You dumbs is Brass!!" I really didn't want them to waste the 50:50.
So yeah 10/10 for me I got extremely immersed in the game. More immersive videos please! :D
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
rainydays
sofa crease

Oh wow I haven't had much time to comment here on the past few videos, but damn did I love every single one. What an amazing turn of events compared to the start of gamingmas. I'm loving everything, I can't believe it.

The chopstick challenge was such a surprise. After choking for half a second because my brain read "chapstick", as probably most of us (rip), I thought that the idea was so silly it wasn't possible to make it enjoyable, but I was wrong and as it turned out I couldn't stop smiling all throughout. Dan calling Phil "buddy" with that face positively ended me. The crickets were super gross though, I don't know how Phil did it. Also Dan was having way too much fun with everything, the little shit. I really wanted to see them trying to eat the giant spider, how would they have accomplished that? What even was that thing?

Charades was a blessing, what did we do to deserve it. Easily my favorite gamingmas video so far and also one of the funniest videos they've ever done tbh. Boobs king and Scrape my bottom had me in literal tears, I laughed so loud I woke my cat. I didn't find Phil's wild guessing annoying or frustrating at all, if anything I found it endearing and hilarious. Now I really want them to play it again, but with Phil miming and Dan guessing. Oh, and I had never even heard of Agadoo, but I got curious and watched the video once and it got stuck into my head for three days, WHY.

Rainbow Islands: not much to say other than it was wild and gay and I was living for every second of it.

Who wants to be a millionaire: aah what a lovely video! the one from last year is one of my absolute fave gaming videos ever. This one didn't top it, but it was still great, such a solid follow-up. I know we're saying it for every video at this point, but wow the vibe is so relaxed? I was rewatching some gamingmas videos from last year and, despite how much more relaxed they were already being back then, I think this year is on another level. I hope it lasts and doesn't end with gamingmas.
On this note: I thought they were so cute and smiley and happy in today's video, but I've seen at least three people on tumblr pointing out that dan was a bit moody/irritable/off/someone even said miserable (??) and I honestly can't see it. Am I wearing rose tinted spectacles? Do you guys think Dan was off? I'm genuinely curious.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

rainydays wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 pm On this note: I thought they were so cute and smiley and happy in today's video, but I've seen at least three people on tumblr pointing out that dan was a bit moody/irritable/off/someone even said miserable (??) and I honestly can't see it. Am I wearing rose tinted spectacles? Do you guys think Dan was off? I'm genuinely curious.
Literally every single video they do I see at least one person say dan was in a bad mood. WITHOUT FAIL! And I can guarantee I will see someone say it for tomorrow’s videos and it’s not even out. He was fine nothing stud out to me about him being off In fact I think he was in a rather good mood today. I think because phil personality is so hyper when dans not playing it up to the same degree as phil it could seem like he’s in a bad mood. But no he was in a good mood, don’t let people change your opinion on that because I know a lot of the time someone saying “ dan was in such a bad mood I don’t think he’s doing well” can stress me out and ruin a video for me.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

rainydays wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 pm On this note: I thought they were so cute and smiley and happy in today's video, but I've seen at least three people on tumblr pointing out that dan was a bit moody/irritable/off/someone even said miserable (??) and I honestly can't see it. Am I wearing rose tinted spectacles? Do you guys think Dan was off? I'm genuinely curious.
I suppose people can view things differently but I didn't get that impression at all. Dan was the one who started the teasing in this video. The only thing I can say is that Dan has been less loud since getting sick but I honestly prefer the softer Dan we've been getting.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:10 am
I suppose people can view things differently but I didn't get that impression at all. Dan was the one who started the teasing in this video. The only thing I can say is that Dan has been less loud since getting sick but I honestly prefer the softer Dan we've been getting.
I do feel like for some people Dan being quieter translates to Dan being in a bad mood. I think he might still not be feeling great, and I think in a cooperative game like that he's a little less hyperactive and perform-y as when he's trying to beat Phil, but neither of those register as bad mood or irritable to me at all.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Bless, I really hoped they would do another Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and they came through! While nothing will beat last year's call with Phil's mum this one was still brilliant. The last few videos have been so good, I hope they can keep it up till Christmas.

Commentary:

- Phil flopping on Weakest Link is still a sore topic. Is that Phil's equivalent to Dan's 'Hello Internet' trauma?
- Discourse about wanting novelty cheques and "We're pretending that this money is real Dan!" like this is just what I live for on this forum now isn't it? 8-)
- Good Lick Rituals
- Phil is very offended at his name being called 'generic' and is so such a petty bitch about it he Googles his theory that Dan(iel) is even more generic. We don't really see the result of that, but judging by Phil's lack of pouty expression and Dan's comment about the spelling Philip (with one l instead of two) I'd say he was correct. :lol:
- Their self awareness streak continues by this time making fun of Susan gag.
- Their differences in speech due to Dan being from the south and Phil being from the north never fail to amuse me.
- Phil did Latin in school and doesn't remember shit.
- British identity is colonialism. We Dutchies relate.
- Phil is in a real petty mood, now bringing up his parka that Dan lost years ago.
- He even says he's salty. I wanna see more of salty!Phil, I always knew he was petty af deep inside. :love2:
- Dirty and Slow. :oops:
- smh Dan, your grandma will be disappointed thay you didn't pay attention in Sunday school.
- Ohhh when Dan asked what they were gonna spend the 2000 pounds on I so badly wanted Phil to say something very Capita£ester like but he got stuck in AP mode who just wants a panda.
- lmao that's Käse sweetie.
- Dan and Phil, huge appreciators of Japanese culture according to some of y'all, don't know what an obi is. :japhan:
- They know Duncan would just laugh at them and then be a troll, so they went with Mimei.
- Mimei secured herself some free merch.
- Phil doesn't know basic geography, but he knows where Eurovision has been held. :thumb:
- I'm shook, Phil has an actually smooth segue into #spon tow days in a row.
- "F the audience, let's F-" lol nice save Phil.
- Dan threatens to snap the disk in half, before realizing it's Phil's and not ~actually~ theirs.
- "YOU FUCKING BASTARD!" Meanwhile the neighbors are growing concerned about the couple next door..
- A lot of stans. :stan:
- "One thicc bih"
- Just like yesterday we end with an anti climax right at the end.

Dan seemed in a good mood to me. He might still be feeling under the weather but it wasn't that noticable. Some people always think that when he's being less extra than usual he must be in a bad mood. :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
greenergrass
stress mushroom

6:12 - "He went up to the top of the hill, and then they were like 'F this hill' and went back down again, and they all did a ... clean and jerk"

Omfg phil. He is on fire this year. The whole video was amazing (the first who wants to be a millionaire vid was one of my faves of last gamingmas, so I was so pumped to see they did it again), but I think this was my favourite part. Just Phil casually joking that 10,000 men went and jerked off together. Incredible.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Loved this video almost as much as I loved the last the bants were on point.

And am I right in think Dan going to Reading was before he even went to Uni in Manchester? If I'm right in thinking this it does amuse me he was borrowing Phil's clothes before they even lived in the same city.
hello9217
flower crown

pearshaped34 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:36 am Loved this video almost as much as I loved the last the bants were on point.

And am I right in think Dan going to Reading was before he even went to Uni in Manchester? If I'm right in thinking this it does amuse me he was borrowing Phil's clothes before they even lived in the same city.
Well if it was 7 years ago, according to Dan, which let's be honest isn't that reliable, it could have been the one in 2010. That one took place at the end of August and if I'm remembering correctly would have been right before Dan started school. So it is possible. Maybe Phil left it at Dan's house and Dan took it with him to the festival, unless Phil went with him, because I know Phil went to one and Dan went to one by himself.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

That video was cute! I thought it was adorable and Dan kept erasing Phil with “sore spots”. I liked the vibe I got from this video and I look forward to the next one tomorrow!
:transheart:
dontpanic
#relatable

hello9217 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 am
pearshaped34 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:36 am Loved this video almost as much as I loved the last the bants were on point.

Well if it was 7 years ago, according to Dan, which let's be honest isn't that reliable, it could have been the one in 2010. That one took place at the end of August and if I'm remembering correctly would have been right before Dan started school. So it is possible. Maybe Phil left it at Dan's house and Dan took it with him to the festival, unless Phil went with him, because I know Phil went to one and Dan went to one by himself.
didn't they go to Reading when they were with bbc R1? that would mean there's a ~2 year margin of error, but close enough when it comes to deppy's memory
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

dontpanic wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:10 am
hello9217 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 am

didn't they go to Reading when they were with bbc R1? that would mean there's a ~2 year margin of error, but close enough when it comes to deppy's memory
As can be seen in the timeline in the IDB FAQ : Dan did indeed go to Reading without Phil in August 2010, so I also assumed it was this one Dan referred to (getting his dates right for once!):
(August 7-8 - Dan's at SitC while Phil is apartment hunting)
• August ?15-21 – Dan helps Phil move into his new apartment, they film Truth or Dare 2 (Dan was definitely there the 15th but we don’t know if he arrived at that exact date or earlier)

(August 25-30 - Dan's at Reading festival with his friends)
• August 31-September 12 – At Phil's place the entire time, activities include StickAID collabs and Muse concert

(September 16 - Dan moves to Manchester!)
:lights: :snowflake: :lights: :snowflake: :lights: :epictree: :lights: :snowflake: :lights: :snowflake: :lights:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

gasp wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:14 am
000dia000 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:47 am I think the underlying thing people can all agree on is Phil's glasses :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Over a year later and nothing has changed. We are all still trash for glasses-Phil. :stan:
:platonic: gaspy!! hellloooo. yes, nothing much has changed, haha.
eeee i loved millionaire! i love trivia, i always learn something. they get so into it, phil especially. i wish they'd make that a series, like kept trying to see if they can get to the 1 mill? mimei call was sweet. if they did another one, would we be guaranteed another personal call? i'd enjoy it without, still. but i'd like to hear bryony on a pop culture question. or dan's mum, as she sounded sweet in that prank video with the parrot story and i think she might be an interesting lady who knows some things. not sure if dan would be comfortable these days though, it's hard to gauge where he is with that as it's been a little while. the volunteering info about her on twitter lately with the christmas presents comes to mind though.

the clean & jerk and dirty/slow exchange was genuinely amusing, not just for the fact they were being filthy. i like that dan's brain went to slow as opposite to jerk, the layers that implies. jerk like jerk off (by oneself), slow and dirty like two-person sex? or jerky sex compared to slow sex? or a jerky, quick handjob compared to slow dirty intercourse? there's no combo that doesn't leave me with a pleasant wistful expression on my face. *stares out window*
Phil bringing it back deliberately with marching the hill was cheeky.

their 'knowing' expressions are the best.
(i know my caps are ugly, i just like having the timestamp built in and yt went and stretched their continuous time bar a few years ago which i'm still bitter about)

dan did the loud wheeeww/wooo noise he also did in the tumblr tag 3 video when he saw himself in the fanart, tied up.

my only observation that hasn't been commented on yet, i think (sorry if i've skimmed too quickly) is dan froze sort of, where i would've expected a response or interjection, when Phil said 'you went to sunday school!'. not going to extrapolate, just found it interesting. seems like that is not something dan would have brought up on his own, though we already know from past statements his/his family's background and his current feelings on religion as an adult, and maybe he wasn't expecting Phil to either.
art in avatar by lily
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Nothing could ever top the first WWTBAM video for me as it is my all-time favourite DAPgames video ever, but this was still great - 8.5/10. I didn't perceive Dan to be in a bad mood, just a little bit subdued presumably because he's still feeling a bit under the weather after losing his voice the other day. I loved the stolen parka anecdote, and like others have already said Phil continues to shine. Gamingmas has truly picked up in the last few videos, I'm really enjoying it :love2:

Also glad to see they took notice of the people asking them to change the Chopstick Challenge thumbnail - I believe it was genuine ignorance but I think it's great that they listened and took action to fix the issue. The fact that they responded to this does confirm to me that they were definitely aware of the backlash to the two of them hanging out with Felix two months ago though.
dontpanic
#relatable

captainspacecoat wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 am Nothing could ever top the first WWTBAM video for me as it is my all-time favourite DAPgames video ever, but this was still great - 8.5/10. I didn't perceive Dan to be in a bad mood, just a little bit subdued presumably because he's still feeling a bit under the weather after losing his voice the other day. I loved the stolen parka anecdote, and like others have already said Phil continues to shine. Gamingmas has truly picked up in the last few videos, I'm really enjoying it :love2:

Also glad to see they took notice of the people asking them to change the Chopstick Challenge thumbnail - I believe it was genuine ignorance but I think it's great that they listened and took action to fix the issue. The fact that they responded to this does confirm to me that they were definitely aware of the backlash to the two of them hanging out with Felix two months ago though.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually that flag in the thumbnail, I think it was just the overlapping of two things that made it look that way. I think Phil confirms this in his tweet but I could be wrong. If it was just a resemblance issue I think I would be...idk...glad? impressed isn't the right word b/c why should I be impressed with something that should fall under common decency, but it's still nice to see him address such a little thing that a lot of even the nicer youtubers would have probably brushed off. I'll nod my head in affirmation.

re: felix, isn't it a good thing that they're aware of the backlash? I mean, there's backlash comes after the fact so they weren't aware just how strongly their audience felt about felix when dan and phil made the commitment, but they haven't associated or even mentioned him since then, which doesn't necessarily mean they're doing so because of audience attitudes but they at least haven't done anything since then contrary to it (aka doing truth bombs with felix and co, which was a worry of mine for a while).

sidenote: I'm unrealistically optimistic in believing they've cut ties completely with him, but I seriously cant deal with the acute fear that they'll be selfie-ing it up with pewdiepie aka Steve Bannon's bff every time they mention a social event.