Dan & Phil Part 62: Cat Master and Boy-slave

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:21 pm
obscureDnPreference wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 pm
998274 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:09 pm can we all just agree that any liveshow that has a doorbell ringing and phil barging in is great? honestly that was more than enough for me to enjoy that liveshow immensely.
I can't wait until this moment is giffed. Why did Phul just have tinsel? I don't care. It was funny.
I love how Dan doesn't break eye contact with the computer until after the tinsel is firmly around him.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Yeah Dan's reasoning that he needs to get rid of the regular liveshow day as he just hates so much when his busy on a Tuesday was just lame. If his busy on Tuesday then he has the option now to simply tweet that his liveshow this week will be on *insert date*.
Which is presumably what he'll have to do next year anyway if he plans to have them on random days.
If he is just looking for ways to do them less frequently I personally which just prefer he came out and said that he doesn't want to do them regularly in the new year and doesn't want to be tied into a day because that leads to people expecting one every week.

Also as I just watched Emma's rant on rewind like just before the liveshow I did find Dan basically confirming they are the "big" youtubers who got pandered too very amusing. :lol:

For anyone who hasn't watched she made a rant video about how crappy youtube rewind treats the smaller youtubers who are made to wait around all day in less than ideal conditions only to be shown onscreen for like a split second and in this rant she mentioned some "big" youtubers who got special treatment so got to show up around mid-day and film and leave in under an hour. (Which is pretty much how Dan made his and Phil's experience sound.)

She also mentioned Tomska as one of the youtubers who was waiting around all day and I do find the quite telling because not only does Tomska have more subs than Phil but his channel tends to pull in better monthly viewing numbers than either Dan or Phil's do as of late.
It is clearly not subscriber or view counts that make Dan and Phil special snowflakes to youtube it is how active and invested their fandom is.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

pearshaped34 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:04 pm Yeah Dan's reasoning that he needs to get rid of the regular liveshow day as he just hates so much when his busy on a Tuesday was just lame. If his busy on Tuesday then he has the option now to simply tweet that his liveshow this week will be on *insert date*.
Which is presumably what he'll have to do next year anyway if he plans to have them on random days.
If he is just looking for ways to do them less frequently I personally which just prefer he came out and said that he doesn't want to do them regularly in the new year and doesn't want to be tied into a day because that leads to people expecting one every week.
I get why he wants to dissuade people from expecting a regular weekly live show because there's no way he or Phil can do shows consistently at the same time throughout the year. For the majority of 2018, they'll be traveling around the world. And before their tour actually starts, they'll have rehearsals. So it makes total sense. I wish he would have just said, "I won't be able to do liveshows every Tuesday at 9pm because we're going to be on tour and in different time zones."
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Another solid video. Watching Phil was slightly painful but I still enjoyed it so much.
alien
procrastinator

I love the new gaming channel video but omg poor Phil getting hit in the face, falling over, and feeling sick all in one video :shyhug:

I can't tell if Dan is purposefully playing up his campiness or if VR just brings it out of him.

And I'm really going to miss the ls in the new year. I totally understand why there won't be very many because of tour but there is just something so special about the ls.
liola
rankussy

I replayed the bit of Phil getting smacked in the face for 5 minutes, I actuAlly laughed so hard I woke up my roommate no joke. Tears were falling.

This might be my favourite video, fun, a proper game, very challenging, bants and fondness, Dan putting his hands on Phil to help him stand up from the sofa? Dan referencing families when talking about their presents?

Also VR makes me panic and antsy but I would want to try that game actually, it looks fun especially with other people "helping"
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
fancy_nancy
phabergé

Phil asking Dan what would he enlarge reminded me SO MUCH of that time Dan got a little ruler in one of those christmas things and Phil asked him what he was going to mesure. This is probably my favorite video so far this gamingmas
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Another top notch gamingmas video imo, they've really been killing it w the content lately (minus the gaming livestream yesterday, let's just act like that never happened.)

Poor phil with all those things going wrong for him -- but also the skyrim VR thing just happened how did he think he wouldn't feel sick again??
Him falling and smashing the presents with his butt was hilarious though. Also lol at Dan's literal whole ass out while he was trying to fix the presents.. maybe it really is just the way his butt is shaped if he still hasn't managed to figure out how to keep his pants pulled up after all these years :lol:
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

liola wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:05 am I replayed the bit of Phil getting smacked in the face for 5 minutes, I actuAlly laughed so hard I woke up my roommate no joke. Tears were falling.
The funny thing is I had the complete opposite reaction, the second I saw it I was READY to fight Dan, I swear I almost jumped out of my chair, idk why I had such a strong reaction :lol: but now rewatching I can see how it's a funny moment but oh my god it looks like it was painful

Loved the video (as always), loved the bants about the presents, I almost got motion sickness from the video alone idk how Phil can play it more than a few seconds at a time.
dancy
procrastinator

I loooved that video! I couldn't help but laugh at and replay the part where Dan smacked Phil in the face and the moment @14:39 when Dan places his hands on Phil's shoulders after he sat on the presents was adorable <3 Definitely rewatching this one soon.
zazzed
squish

i'm like 5 minutes in and tell me why i can't stop looking at the way dan moves in this lmao

just so campy and graceful :lol:
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

You could, tell Dan's normal voice from his Dan&Phil's the moment he realised he actually hurt Phil. Also one could tell Phil actually git hurt because he cursee.

Phil sitting on the presents was hilarious but then I felt nad because he felt bad.

One of my fave videos of gamingmas by far.
JustMarie
drama llama

Hard time watching it cuz VR makes me dizzy all the time, but I loved today's video! <3
I never stopped laughing during it. Definitely a rewatchable video

My highlights will be when Dan smacked Phil's face, when Phil smashed all the presents and Phil's hilarious question to Dan about what will he like to enlarge if he got the opportunity to do it. :rofl:
alien
procrastinator

fancy_nancy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 am Phil asking Dan what would he enlarge reminded me SO MUCH of that time Dan got a little ruler in one of those christmas things and Phil asked him what he was going to mesure. This is probably my favorite video so far this gamingmas
I thought the same! The "what ya gonna measure?" is one of my favorite moments and then Dan's "shh" after. Ah it's so good.
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

I cry-laughed when Dan hit Phil with the controller and when Phil squished the presents, my stomach hurt :lol:

Noticed at the end when Dan stands to the left of the screen that the filter is slightly off. I've noticed a lot of editing mistakes this month but it's to be expected when they're uploading so much.

I liked this video but I can't see myself rewatching it as VR definitely makes me feel ill. I'll just skip to the best parts over and over 8-)
OT but I was feeling really awful recently and found myself not going to Deppy to have them cheer me up. I wonder if being too invested in them is what prevents me from being able to use them as a distraction. I mean since the situation with the youtuber-who-shall-not-be-named among other unsavoury instances I've already felt my viewing experience be dampened. But this feels like something else. Am I too distracted by being too interested in them? Or maybe their content just isn't that objectively good? :lol: I find myself seeking lighter funnier entertainment that's always good at distracting me with ridiculousness like Ryan or Jenna, people I enjoy a lot and have been subscribed to since forever but far more casually. Idk, this probably doesn't make any sense. Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone have a good explanation for this?
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

alien wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:00 am I love the new gaming channel video but omg poor Phil getting hit in the face, falling over, and feeling sick all in one video :shyhug:
VR and Phil don't seems to go very well together, but I feel like I might get dizzy if I played with a headset like that too. Also, RIP present boxes, they got whacked pretty bad lol :lol:

I think VR is super cool and interesting so I enjoy seeing them play around with it, and there were a lot of cute moments so I liked this video a lot! :love2: (and I have to admit, I was laughing pretty hard when Phil got smacked in the face lol)
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
sparkle
blobfish

GUESS WHO'S BACK :newyear: (Does anyone remember me lol)

I've not had loads of free time recently to be on here but have been trying to keep up with D&P, I've second to front row M&G tickets for the Manchester show (I nearly had a meltdown at work over it, I was praying to all the gods my phone signal held up) <3 and I finally bought that black backpack I was lusting after. I

Anyway, more on-topic, I'm enjoying gamingmas. The charades video has been my favourite so far, I was nearly crying laughing at it omg. I have free time this week so i'm going to *try* and catch up.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I'm amazed at Phil's ability to not remember how motion sick he gets. If I have one bad motion-sickness experience, I will never do what made me sick again.
The video was pretty good, honestly this year's gamingmas is finally matching last year's. I liked this one more than the skyrim vr, and the bants were pretty good. Not my favorite, but definitely worth a rewatch.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Another fun video! Very entertaining, would def rewatch.

Also can I just say... this is their best thumbnail. It's a weird thing to notice but I did, I think it looks kinda like "professional gaming", am I making sense? It's not like charged with color and weird faces.. idk.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alch wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:50 am I'm amazed at Phil's ability to not remember how motion sick he gets. If I have one bad motion-sickness experience, I will never do what made me sick again.
I feel like he probably did remember and just decided to play anyway, to make it feel like a balanced game. Like - surely he didn't forget?

The jumpcuts after Dan hit Phil and then after Dan went to help Phil up are haunting me. They obviously took a moment to make sure Phil was okay/sort themselves out after Dan smacked him in the mouth, I wonder how long it actually was? And after Phil tripped, did they mean to leave in Dan with his hands on Phil's shoulders or was that just sloppy editing? That moment makes my heart so warm though, Dan laughing with full dimple exposure and both hands on Phil ready to help him. I mean, it was a hilarious gaming video with interesting gameplay (at least to me, I've never watched anything besides them play anything in VR) aside from that - but I'm predictable, it's those two moments that I'll keep going back to.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I feel really down about the lack of planned Tuesday live shows. I was already sad that there won't be any for probably 3 weeks. Kind of wish he would have waited until next year to tell us the change. I do hate when he cancels though. I wish he would cut back but still keep them scheduled as I so love looking forward to something. Dizzy 's theory sounds good though. I really prefer the talking live shows to the gaming ones though. I love the idea of Dan ordering himself a black electric toothbrush. Wish he would have shown it so we could find out how much he spent and whether he got Phil one too.

Can defo relate to his spiel about losing sight of what's canon in a fandom. It's so meta when he talks like that.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:42 am The jumpcuts after Dan hit Phil and then after Dan went to help Phil up are haunting me. They obviously took a moment to make sure Phil was okay/sort themselves out after Dan smacked him in the mouth, I wonder how long it actually was? And after Phil tripped, did they mean to leave in Dan with his hands on Phil's shoulders or was that just sloppy editing? That moment makes my heart so warm though, Dan laughing with full dimple exposure and both hands on Phil ready to help him. I mean, it was a hilarious gaming video with interesting gameplay (at least to me, I've never watched anything besides them play anything in VR) aside from that - but I'm predictable, it's those two moments that I'll keep going back to.
I'm. A. Mess. These 2 moments killed me. After the smack, that second where Dan says "Are you okay?" Immediately threw me back to the clip where someone catches Dan filming in his dorm. His voice just completely switches. I'm also totally with you. I wanna know what happened in that jump-cut. It definitely seems like it would be a long time, because Phil's face isn't even red when they come back to it. Also, Dan's response to Phil's facial reconstruction idea was hilarious. I'm glad they're both supportive of Phil's dreams~*

As for the second moment - idk what else to add. That shit was cute and I so want to see the rest of where Dan softly helps Phil up. And like that laugh was so genuine and I just.... I was waiting for another hand-over-heart moment (see: my avatar) this gamingmas and they're finally providing.

This was generally just a really good video. I loved all of the bants. The jokes about Dan redeeming his retail career were all adorable, Phil's dick joke, Dan talking to the "receptionist" computer at the start oddly stuck out to me as hilarious. I just really overall adored this video and will probably rewatch a few times.
tyhane
delia smith

Ooh, another great video. Contrary to my opinion awhile ago, it seems that this gamingmas really was just a slow start. Everything lately (minus yesterday's stream *cough*) has been really enjoyable for me.

This video was a nice mix of good ol' funny, entertaining bants and some cute/"domestic" moments. I'm not usually one to focus on any little bit of physical contact, but something about Dan going to help Phil up (I say "going" since they cut it off pretty quickly lmao) felt so sweet to me. Yeah, I'm a simple person. :ribena: I enjoyed seeing their reactions to Dan accidentally hitting Phil, but it looked to genuinely painful that I can't stand to rewatch it.

In general this year's gamingmas has felt more... I feel like saying candid, though that's not quite accurate since obviously they're aware they're on camera. Just a little bit more natural and off-camera-esque, particularly Phil. I know this is a weird thing to notice, but I feel like we've been hearing so many tones of voices, laughs, etc. from him that we haven't really heard before. He has a pretty distinct AmazingPhil voice, and it's always been a little less apparent when he's in collabs (with people other than Dan), but now it feels like it's making its way into their normal gaming videos too. Not saying that he/they are doing entire videos like that, but it shines through in certain moments, especially during some of the more teasing/sarcastic remarks Phil says. And there's the whole thing with his much more sexual sense of humor, of course, but everybody and their mother have already commented on that. :lol: I don't know, I guess I'm appreciating this gamingmas more lately than I was earlier in the month.
(Though I don't think this necessarily started exactly at gamingmas. I'd say "that's 2017 for you" or something, but honestly it's only been somewhat recently that I've really noticed this - around Halloween baking maybe.)
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I loved it! (aside from the face smack and present flattening; idk why but stuff like that makes me uncomfortable. Wish it wouldn't)
Job Simulator Let's Plays are what really got me into YouTube like 2 years ago, so the game has a special place in my heart. Too bad they didn't have the audio louder because the bots are quite funny, but I guess it's hard to balance the audio levels when there's two people talking.

Regarding the liveshows, how likely is it that he/they just want to ease us into the tour period where there will be even less LSs?I can understand that it's easier to fill an hour when you've saved up some weeks worth of content and stories, and it also takes away the pressure and the fear of disappointing people.
(Edit: I just saw that dizzy discussed this on tumblr already so just ignore me)
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:40 pm - My liveshow theory: that they're moving to a format where they each do two a month individually and then do two gaming livestreams a month. It'll vary up their schedules and tbh if it keeps them engaged in doing the streams, I'm okay with it.
If they wanna keep the gaming streams so regular, I really hope they sort them out though. I know that I say this all the time, but they quality isn't quite there yet, and I still disagree with a gaming stream being a live recording/replacement of a normal Let's Play.
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

gonna echo that the last few months have definitely felt more candid and relaxed to me. and not just good moods, more honest when they feel sick, tired etc. i've really enjoyed the little shift.

rizzo yes! also, though we didn't hear it ourselves, he sounded like how i imagined his voice to be from phil's impression in a liveshow when the blinds were rustling in their flat and dan asked 'who's there?', all trepidatious. poor phil's mouth/teeth. i wonder if he responded very quickly with 'i forgive you' because he didn't want Dan to get even quieter from guilt at having whacked him. dan went red instantly. the two jumpcuts after the two mishaps also caught my attention. the first one made a bit more sense to me, but the second, the decision to cut out dan guiding phil back to the camera with his hands on his shoulders felt unnecessary in itself, especially as we already saw the beginning of the movement, unless he did or said something they didn't want kept in. maybe they just felt it was dragging on.

i've been saying this with (almost) every new video, but today's is my favourite so far of gamingmas! not a huge amount going on, really, but all the ingredients i love - when it feels more like you're just in the room watching friends play a video game next to you. watching their faces watch the other one play and giving them tips/razzing them was soothing. full body gives a different viewing experience, too.

^ can't quite express what i mean cause i'm really tired right now, which is frustrating, but this expression at 13.35 from dan felt like one we don't see often. after phil said proudly he could work at a fancy restaurant, because he was doing well for a second at the game. a kind of quietly fond side-ways half smile, a little shy.

the 'what would you enlarge' joke brought my mind to the 8cm ruler moment like everyone else - oh Phil, don't you know it's not size that matters, it's how much you wave it around.
zazzed wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 am i'm like 5 minutes in and tell me why i can't stop looking at the way dan moves in this lmao

just so campy and graceful :lol:
yes! Tatinof flashbacks, for me. both of them have a more fluid, slightly feminine physicality in their manner than you would expect from watching them waist-up, but there was legit camp in this video with some of the voices and roleplay (i actually thought phil moreso). and graceful, yes. dan wouldn't think he is, but i see it. i've always thought his movements are quite contained/restrained, but in a pleasantly liquid way rather than stilted.
art in avatar by lily