Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Locked
User avatar
LtrllySusan
long-time wanker
Posts: 530
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by LtrllySusan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Here we go! I am still hoping for a quick Phil appearance during #vasegate



User avatar
alch
#relatable
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:00 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by alch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:49 pm

LtrllySusan wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm
Here we go! I am still hoping for a quick Phil appearance during #vasegate
vasegate!! he also better include people roasting the cake, also people are suggesting some of the danthony stuff i think that was big
was ladydoor a meme or just something people kept saying? does it count anyway?

i've really lost my touch on what happens in the greater deppy fandom

User avatar
blackdenim
hobbit hair
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by blackdenim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:58 pm

Just want to say that I am finding the 'old content' conversations really interesting. I haven't done any rewatches since 2015 when I was laid up for 12 weeks with a broken leg but I might go back this weekend and see if any of it makes me cringe!! Also talking about people's own personal growth tying in with D&P's, I think an element of this is also that internet culture (and actually culture in general) has become more 'Woke' over, I would say, the last 3-4 years. I'm not trying to say 'it's political correctness gone mad!!!!!!!!" (which is a mentality a lot of people seem to have when they're annoyed they can't make offensive jokes anymore), I think it's a really good thing that we are all more sensitive and accepting than we used to be. But probably some of the comments D&P made about women, Dan's 'no-homo' phase and other questionable comments about didn't seem quite as jarring at the time as they do now because now we all know better (including Dan, obviously).

It's the same reason I'm not too quick to condemn people like Zoella for tweets they did in like 2012 using offensive language: I'm not saying it was 'fine' to say those things a few years ago but a lot more people didn't understand how or why they were upsetting people. In fact, I was literally talking about this with a friend the other day because something came up on her Timehop from 2009 where she described something she didn't like as 'gay' - which is something that she would never do now and genuinely couldn't believe she ever found acceptable.

User avatar
hiddenabyss101
tol bean
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:58 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by hiddenabyss101 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:43 pm

blackdenim wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 pm
autumnhearth wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Most importantly what is that white thing underneath the stairs?
Image

It reminds me of a strange cross between Baymax from Big Hero 6 and a little Princess Monoke spirit. Maybe throw in Olaf and something from Undertale for good measure. :napsta: :hearts: :ghostclaps:
When I was a kid I had this bear lamp that I thought was the height of sophistication - it looked a bit like this:
Image
That's what the white thing looks like to me, but there's no wire coming out of it that I can see and I don't see why they'd put a lamp under the stairs, so maybe it's some kind of cartoon bear... figurine?
That bear lamp looks similar, but it doesn't look like the shape matches exactly. It could be a newer version of that same lamp, but to me it looks more like reddit's white mascot thing?
like a giant version of this? Image

so_cheesy
Squish
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by so_cheesy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 pm

LtrllySusan wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm
Here we go! I am still hoping for a quick Phil appearance during #vasegate
This tweet is a prime example of what annoys me sometimes. :(
Every now and then he talks about a specific project/video like it's an absolute disaster of an idea, so just for the sake of the wonderful audience he will graciously sacrifice his dignity and force himself to do it because giving people what they want is important and also if it helps someone than it's worth it... Maybe I'm seeing it totally wrong but these kind of ironic remarks are SO self-deprecating that they're just too much. If you don't want to do it, don't fricking do it. Find a better topic and do a video about that, nobody is forcing you. Nobody asks you to be a martyr, stop making people feel guilty.

Secretstanner
glabella
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by Secretstanner » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm

so_cheesy wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 pm
LtrllySusan wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm
Here we go! I am still hoping for a quick Phil appearance during #vasegate
This tweet is a prime example of what annoys me sometimes. :(
Every now and then he talks about a specific project/video like it's an absolute disaster of an idea, so just for the sake of the wonderful audience he will graciously sacrifice his dignity and force himself to do it because giving people what they want is important and also if it helps someone than it's worth it... Maybe I'm seeing it totally wrong but these kind of ironic remarks are SO self-deprecating that they're just too much. If you don't want to do it, don't fricking do it. Find a better topic and do a video about that, nobody is forcing you. Nobody asks you to be a martyr, stop making people feel guilty.
I do see what you mean. I felt the same rewatching them play my horse prince. Dan was the one who wanted to play the game but then as the episodes went on he acted like we were the ones forcing him to play and it was such a awful experience for him. It did annoy me a little but he does this ALOT.

User avatar
vincentian
cheeky #spon
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:49 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by vincentian » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Secretstanner wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm
so_cheesy wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 pm
LtrllySusan wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm
Here we go! I am still hoping for a quick Phil appearance during #vasegate
This tweet is a prime example of what annoys me sometimes. :(
Every now and then he talks about a specific project/video like it's an absolute disaster of an idea, so just for the sake of the wonderful audience he will graciously sacrifice his dignity and force himself to do it because giving people what they want is important and also if it helps someone than it's worth it... Maybe I'm seeing it totally wrong but these kind of ironic remarks are SO self-deprecating that they're just too much. If you don't want to do it, don't fricking do it. Find a better topic and do a video about that, nobody is forcing you. Nobody asks you to be a martyr, stop making people feel guilty.
I do see what you mean. I felt the same rewatching them play my horse prince. Dan was the one who wanted to play the game but then as the episodes went on he acted like we were the ones forcing him to play and it was such a awful experience for him. It did annoy me a little but he does this ALOT.
I just accepted that this hyperbole is Dan's brand of humour really, though I do find it occasionally annoying too. He also said a lot of stuff like that in gamingmas videos. I assume he means here that the video is going to be a trainwreck as some memes may be ridiculous, crossing a certain line etc., which, looking back on previous two meme videos he made, is kinda true.

Also, this reminded me that Dan literally wrote "I am a martyr for your flaws" in description to his A Message For My Younger Self video. Maybe it's just his messiah complex speaking. ;)
Image

User avatar
000dia000
cat whiskers
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by 000dia000 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Secretstanner wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm
so_cheesy wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 pm
LtrllySusan wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm
Here we go! I am still hoping for a quick Phil appearance during #vasegate
This tweet is a prime example of what annoys me sometimes. :(
Every now and then he talks about a specific project/video like it's an absolute disaster of an idea, so just for the sake of the wonderful audience he will graciously sacrifice his dignity and force himself to do it because giving people what they want is important and also if it helps someone than it's worth it... Maybe I'm seeing it totally wrong but these kind of ironic remarks are SO self- deprecating that they're just too much. If you don't want to do it, don't fricking do it. Find a better topic and do a video about that, nobody is forcing you. Nobody asks you to be a martyr, stop making people feel guilty.
I do see what you mean. I felt the same rewatching them play my horse prince. Dan was the one who wanted to play the game but then as the episodes went on he acted like we were the ones forcing him to play and it was such a awful experience for him. It did annoy me a little but he does this ALOT.
I don't know why this discussion is under a spoiler tag, but I'll join in here for the fun. It looks cozy here.

I think it's a large part of Dan's humour to be self deprecating, and that his life is a joke, everything he does is it as his own expense etc. Etc. I think it's so he doesn't come across as desperate or a try hard if he makes it seem like these videos are just reluctant fan service. In this way, if he happened to fuck up he has a blanket to fall back on.

I also think he does it as a way to make it feel like the audience actually has some influence on his content.... Dan carefully chooses everything he does. The way he phrases everything, including the way he phrased the tweet, is neutral. It makes people interested that he's asking for suggestions, but doesn't seem desperate. It also makes it seem that he has a ton of ideas and this is just some casual thing he's throwing together. He's smart like that.

I do think he can go too far in the joke though of "suffering", especially last year in the meme video where he fake cried and then casuals actually thought Dan was being bullied by the phandom :roll: he actually had to make a statement that it was just a joke
:cactus:

User avatar
flarequake
angel bean
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: London, UK

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by flarequake » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:43 pm

I remember the end of the meme video where he’d worked himself up so much from being dramatic that he surprised himself by actually crying (I didn’t read it as fake, but who can tell). My best friend came to visit and I paused crying-Dan to open the door to find her in actual floods (we grew up nearby and it was late after a long day, the nostalgia was too much). She wasn’t overly interested, but a few videos like pinof 8 helped her relax.

I scrolled back a few pages here to remind myself of what to suggest to him, though I only remember a few really having many edits on Tumblr etc. Mostly the crouching by the polling station sign.

User avatar
hello9217
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:11 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by hello9217 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:32 pm

The only ones I really remember are the crouching by the poll sign, the doughnut pool pic, and the rebrand generating the most memes. If this year was truly about giving people what they want he would do top dan and phil memes, just saying.

fieldoflovers
Squish
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by fieldoflovers » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:58 am

vincentian wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:24 pm
Secretstanner wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:52 pm
so_cheesy wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:45 pm
LtrllySusan wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm
Here we go! I am still hoping for a quick Phil appearance during #vasegate
This tweet is a prime example of what annoys me sometimes. :(
Every now and then he talks about a specific project/video like it's an absolute disaster of an idea, so just for the sake of the wonderful audience he will graciously sacrifice his dignity and force himself to do it because giving people what they want is important and also if it helps someone than it's worth it... Maybe I'm seeing it totally wrong but these kind of ironic remarks are SO self-deprecating that they're just too much. If you don't want to do it, don't fricking do it. Find a better topic and do a video about that, nobody is forcing you. Nobody asks you to be a martyr, stop making people feel guilty.
I do see what you mean. I felt the same rewatching them play my horse prince. Dan was the one who wanted to play the game but then as the episodes went on he acted like we were the ones forcing him to play and it was such a awful experience for him. It did annoy me a little but he does this ALOT.
I just accepted that this hyperbole is Dan's brand of humour really, though I do find it occasionally annoying too. He also said a lot of stuff like that in gamingmas videos. I assume he means here that the video is going to be a trainwreck as some memes may be ridiculous, crossing a certain line etc., which, looking back on previous two meme videos he made, is kinda true.

Also, this reminded me that Dan literally wrote "I am a martyr for your flaws" in description to his A Message For My Younger Self video. Maybe it's just his messiah complex speaking. ;)
Idk why dan pretends like his audience forces him to make the content he does. In his liveshow he said he wanted to make a third meme video and when someone said they didn’t want another one he defended himself saying that it’s a series he’s done twice and he’s not less creative for making another one(i’m paraphrasing here but this is the gist of it). It just rubs me the wrong way because if one of his videos is lowbrow he can hide under the guise of “i’m giving the people what they want” instead of admitting that hey maybe sometimes he wants to make ISGs or horse prince videos.

IMO dan’s audience has never ditacted his content and they wouldn’t really care if he didn’t make another yearly tradition video. They’d (including me) would probably watch 10 minuets of him eating cereal.
Charlie McDonnell made that video btw and it was glorious:
Last edited by mermaid blood on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: broken code
Image

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by alittledizzy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:24 am

I am embedding this extremely wholesome and heartwarming tweet because Phil liked it and therefore it has relevance.

Also, puppy.

User avatar
mermaid blood
angel bean squish
angel bean squish
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:48 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by mermaid blood » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 am

^ i watched that so many times. i liked the character development when dogue figured out how to run faster with the sled sideways at the end.

obligatory comment saying i agree dan is limiting himself by only choosing memes about himself this year and i hope he widens the criteria when sifting through. there's enough to be a cute little video, i'm not mad about it.

the real question (that no one but me asks) is will we ever get a Tumblr Tag 4?
art in avatar by Lily

blueskies
tol bean
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by blueskies » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:31 am

mermaid blood wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 am
the real question (that no one but me asks) is will we ever get a Tumblr Tag 4?
You're definitely not alone, a Tumblr Tag 4 is one of those things I yearn for but know we'll never get. All the tumblr videos hold a special place in my heart, regardless of the slight embarrassment I always somehow feel. They were one of the first videos I watched of deppy, and I'll forever cherish that <3

User avatar
mermaid blood
angel bean squish
angel bean squish
Posts: 361
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:48 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by mermaid blood » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:26 am

aww, your origin story!

i started watching in 2014, close-ish to when that one came out, so i get it. it made me go on tumblr afterwards and kind of get a sense of the phandom outside of the youtube comment section for the first time?

on a serious note, those videos gave us some very insightful moments. them both commenting on dan's facial hair, and 'feminine' eyes. the radio show fan drawing, where they're making out? and the only thing they comment on is, why would they start making out in the middle of a live radio show? that was huge at that time. (actually, it still is, when you think about it)

there were other interesting moments but it's so hot here today i can't think. i think my brain is going to ooze out of my ears.
art in avatar by Lily

User avatar
captainspacecoat
long-time wanker
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by captainspacecoat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:56 am

Not to be a debbie downer, but I happen to be the world's #1 Tumblr Tag Hater, and I hope it never returns! I personally get such bad secondhand embarrassment from Dan and Phil reacting to content that was not necessarily created for them to see (e.g. shippy fanart), and it feels too much like a breaking of the fourth wall. I prefer to exist in a peaceful bliss of pretending they never see (explicit) fanart or fanfic, there's just something about them having to come up with something entertaining or jokey to say in response to people's hard work that makes me uncomfortable. Plus, there's always drama surrounding people reposting other people's art/edits/gifs in the tag and being credited for something they did not actually create, and overall the whole concept just stresses me out.

I actually think the Dan Memes videos have the potential to be an overall better replacement, in that there's less of an expectation for him to react a certain way, if that makes sense? Although, I do also personally struggle a little bit with over-the-top staged reactions (a la the 2016 memes video), so I really hope he steers away from that and returns to the more relaxed, genuinely entertaining format of the 2015 memes video, which was still quite self-deprecating but I thought was more enjoyable overall than last year's version.

Having said that though, I totally understand feeling nostalgic about the first dnp videos you ever saw, I hope I wasn't too negative!!

blueskies
tol bean
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by blueskies » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:10 am

mermaid blood wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:26 am

on a serious note, those videos gave us some very insightful moments. them both commenting on dan's facial hair, and 'feminine' eyes. the radio show fan drawing, where they're making out? and the only thing they comment on is, why would they start making out in the middle of a live radio show? that was huge at that time. (actually, it still is, when you think about it)
Ahhh, that radio show fanart. I think I've probably rewatched that moment a thousand times, and I firmly believe that they were both blushing ;)
captainspacecoat wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:56 am
Not to be a debbie downer, but I happen to be the world's #1 Tumblr Tag Hater, and I hope it never returns! I personally get such bad secondhand embarrassment from Dan and Phil reacting to content that was not necessarily created for them to see (e.g. shippy fanart), and it feels too much like a breaking of the fourth wall. I prefer to exist in a peaceful bliss of pretending they never see (explicit) fanart or fanfic, there's just something about them having to come up with something entertaining or jokey to say in response to people's hard work that makes me uncomfortable. Plus, there's always drama surrounding people reposting other people's art/edits/gifs in the tag and being credited for something they did not actually create, and overall the whole concept just stresses me out.

I actually think the Dan Memes videos have the potential to be an overall better replacement, in that there's less of an expectation for him to react a certain way, if that makes sense? Although, I do also personally struggle a little bit with over-the-top staged reactions (a la the 2016 memes video), so I really hope he steers away from that and returns to the more relaxed, genuinely entertaining format of the 2015 memes video, which was still quite self-deprecating but I thought was more enjoyable overall than last year's version.

Having said that though, I totally understand feeling nostalgic about the first dnp videos you ever saw, I hope I wasn't too negative!!
Nope you weren't!! In fact I understand where you're coming from, especially the secondhand embarrassment part - it does get a bit...much at times. Also, I was wondering if they stopped doing the Tumblr Tags because of the Top Dan Memes? They seem pretty similar in content - after all a large portion of the tumblr videos are edits, or memes, or crack videos, much like what Dan does in TDM.

User avatar
flarequake
angel bean
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: London, UK

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by flarequake » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 pm

I got the feeling they stopped doing the tumblr tag due to artists asking them not to. I was annoyed they included nsfw artwork, they could have used a lot more sense and sensitivity there. Pretty much everything else they reacted to was stuff people seemed happy for the guys to see, so most of it was funny. There was still a fan-made meme, the train one, where the one Dan used was a remake and the original maker was pretty miffed, they can’t always win on that front.

Secretstanner
glabella
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by Secretstanner » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:12 pm

mermaid blood wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:43 am
the real question (that no one but me asks) is will we ever get a Tumblr Tag 4?
I think I’m the only one but I literally have no interest in them making another tumblr tag. They are never videos I will go back and watch except maybe the last one... I don’t think there is much to react to except weird tonge edits. I don’t think they will be doing another one soon at least that’s the feeling I get everytime someone asks dan about them in liveshows.

Edit: bring back going deep with dan and phil! I want more of that

so_cheesy
Squish
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by so_cheesy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:38 pm

I feel indifferent towards the tumblr tag videos. I remember that I enjoyed them but I haven’t watched any of them a second time. What I LOVED though was the face swap challenge and the photo booth challenge. I know those are the silliest possible videos ever made on youtube but I rewatch them like, every 2 weeks when I’m having a shitty day. I wish d&p uploaded short light-hearted videos to their side channels or something(like the gummy bear prank and other try new things)

User avatar
yellowsubmarine
sofa crease
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:27 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by yellowsubmarine » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:41 pm

captainspacecoat wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:56 am
Not to be a debbie downer, but I happen to be the world's #1 Tumblr Tag Hater, and I hope it never returns! I personally get such bad secondhand embarrassment from Dan and Phil reacting to content that was not necessarily created for them to see (e.g. shippy fanart), and it feels too much like a breaking of the fourth wall. I prefer to exist in a peaceful bliss of pretending they never see (explicit) fanart or fanfic, there's just something about them having to come up with something entertaining or jokey to say in response to people's hard work that makes me uncomfortable. Plus, there's always drama surrounding people reposting other people's art/edits/gifs in the tag and being credited for something they did not actually create, and overall the whole concept just stresses me out.

I actually think the Dan Memes videos have the potential to be an overall better replacement, in that there's less of an expectation for him to react a certain way, if that makes sense? Although, I do also personally struggle a little bit with over-the-top staged reactions (a la the 2016 memes video), so I really hope he steers away from that and returns to the more relaxed, genuinely entertaining format of the 2015 memes video, which was still quite self-deprecating but I thought was more enjoyable overall than last year's version.

Having said that though, I totally understand feeling nostalgic about the first dnp videos you ever saw, I hope I wasn't too negative!!
But I thought Phil asked them to tag him? In the things people wanted them to see he asked them to put another tag so, if anything, it's the fans tagging him in shippy stuff.
(I also dislike tumblr tag btw, just saying that I thought it was consensual reacting not breaking the fourth wall)

Agree with Dan's overreacting to some memes last year (he does it for comedic purposes I know I just don't find it funny, I find him funnier when he is a deadpan snarker not when he overreacts but, opinions opinions.)
Also there WERE some memes last year just not enough to single them out? I'm curious to see what he'll do/if he'll do it, he did make the distinction of memes AND moments so we'll see.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."

User avatar
captainspacecoat
long-time wanker
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by captainspacecoat » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:56 pm

yellowsubmarine wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:41 pm

But I thought Phil asked them to tag him? In the things people wanted them to see he asked them to put another tag so, if anything, it's the fans tagging him in shippy stuff.
(I also dislike tumblr tag btw, just saying that I thought it was consensual reacting not breaking the fourth wall)
He definitely does ask to be tagged in them for the video, but shippy fanart etc is not initially created with the intent to be seen by Dan and Phil (at least in most cases). It's usually created for the enjoyment of fans/fandom, so the Tumblr Tag feels uncomfortable to me because it feels like Dan and Phil intruding on something that wasn't really intended to be for them. They're required to react to something that has been removed from its original context, is often made to seem over-the-top or outlandish/inappropriate, and may very well make them uncomfortable, but in its original context of being shared among fans on tumblr away from Dan and Phil was relatively harmless. In that respect, it feels like breaking the fourth wall to me - hopefully that made sense!!

Edit: omg this is my 500th post, why does that genuinely feel like an achievement to me :')

User avatar
daichii
cheeky #spon
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:49 am
Pronouns: she | her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by daichii » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:13 pm

I don't think there are many Dan memes from last year, it was quite a wholesome year in a way. He should get Phil on the vid and call it top deppy memes of 2017, there's some hilarious stuff from the gaming channel he could use.
Image

User avatar
fancybum
angel bean
Posts: 1416
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:06 am
Location: bork

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by fancybum » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:29 pm

captainspacecoat wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:56 pm
yellowsubmarine wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:41 pm

But I thought Phil asked them to tag him? In the things people wanted them to see he asked them to put another tag so, if anything, it's the fans tagging him in shippy stuff.
(I also dislike tumblr tag btw, just saying that I thought it was consensual reacting not breaking the fourth wall)
He definitely does ask to be tagged in them for the video, but shippy fanart etc is not initially created with the intent to be seen by Dan and Phil (at least in most cases). It's usually created for the enjoyment of fans/fandom, so the Tumblr Tag feels uncomfortable to me because it feels like Dan and Phil intruding on something that wasn't really intended to be for them. They're required to react to something that has been removed from its original context, is often made to seem over-the-top or outlandish/inappropriate, and may very well make them uncomfortable, but in its original context of being shared among fans on tumblr away from Dan and Phil was relatively harmless. In that respect, it feels like breaking the fourth wall to me - hopefully that made sense!!
Another issue is people tagging other people's work for Phil to see, so it's not actually consensual even if that's the intent. I don't know if it was the bondage pic or the making out with the earphones one (or something else entirely! someone correct me if this is actually a thing), but I'm pretty sure the artist didn't want D&P to see it (or at least didn't want it broadcast on their channels for ridicule), but somebody else did it on their behalf. Basically the tumblr tag is just prime opportunity for art theft for the lols and usually somebody ends up with the short end of the stick. That said, I've definitely enjoyed the tumblr tags and would maybe love another one if it could actually be done without any of the aforementioned issues that crop up, but :shrug:
daichii wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:13 pm
I don't think there are many Dan memes from last year, it was quite a wholesome year in a way. He should get Phil on the vid and call it top deppy memes of 2017, there's some hilarious stuff from the gaming channel he could use.
But yes, this. I don't know if Dan has enough solo meme material (unless he uses the term very loosely and the video is like 6 mins long with a lot of filler), but if he wants to do a longer video like last time (+20mins), I think it'll have to end up in Dan and Phil territory (leading to a great opportunity for more 2018 tour spon on his channel...). Which basically would just make this an updated version of the tumblr tag. I guess we'll see!

Also I know I was just shit talking the gaming streams, but I'm kind of hoping for a surprise one later today.... someone slap some sense into me
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me

User avatar
Catallena
angel bean
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by Catallena » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Leave it to Dan to be the embodiment of "new year, same old shit" in regards to what video he kicks the year off with. Take your bets! How many times is Dan gonna moan about ~giving the people what they want~ in the video?

I used to like the Tumblr Tag videos and then that thing happened where someone reposted that extremely NSFW piece in the tag without permission of the creator and D&P ended up reacting to it, leaving the original artist so embarrassed and hurt (and harassed by the phandom police) they ended up leaving their blog. That's when I knew it had to die, and then it did so yay. :thumb:
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr

Locked