Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
so_cheesy
Squish
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by so_cheesy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:09 pm

obsessivelymoody wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:55 pm
Catallena wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm
Meh, does he really have a career outside of YouTube atm tho?
yeah, i definitely get and agree with your point. everything he has "outside of youtube" has just stemmed from youtube itself, and of course isn't entirely separate. the books, both tours, his work with young minds, and literally every other work thing he does is all because of youtube, and always goes back to it. dan's made some really great connections to lead him to a career outside of youtube when that "meteor" eventually strikes and they see no point on the platform anymore, but he definitely is still very much attached to youtube. and yes this post was probably really pointless
That's why I said he's thinking ahead with this. We don't know what else he's working on behind the scenes:)



User avatar
missemma
dirty bitch
dirty bitch
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by missemma » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Catallena wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:11 pm
I still just don't get the rebrand, which is totally on me yadda yadda, it just bothers me how inconsistent and messy it is.

He had a unique and recognizable username that wasn't nearly as cringe as he thought it was (but hey, personal preference I get that) which he attached to a tour and a book. Considering how much they banged on and on about how books were forever and would survive throughout whatever fantasy disaster they had thought of, you'd think that at least the title of those things would have some kind of timeless relevance where content obviously can't. Apparently not.

He now uses the name 'Daniel Howell' instead DINOF while rarely ever using that name anywhere else. Isn't that just confusing for potential new viewers who won't be sure how to address you? We call him Dan, his friends call him Dan, in videos he's Dan and he's still part of the Dan & Phil duo. But in channel and video titles and occasional official stuff, he's Daniel. Not always though, because the upcoming video will most likely use Dan in the title again as that's what he called it in his Tumblr post. His second channel? Fair enough, it doesn't see much use anyway. But the name is still a reference to DINOF, again using the name Dan. I think I'd drive myself crazy if I essentially went by two names all the time. But maybe I think about too hard.

The whole hype around it and the video itself... oh boy. "Llamas, Maltesers and Delia Smith are now really dead guys!!" like congrats my man but you've naturally moved away from that already, and while there will always be cringe people most of the phandom hasn't been about that for a long ass time now either. Just continue to move in the direction you were already going in. All it really was was the justification of a name change which he easily could've done in the same way Phil axed old shit like Draw Phil Naked. Drop the bomb at the end of a video, be done with it. I guess that's the difference between them, Phil doesn't like making big deals out of things and does things quickly and effectively. Dan always gotta be a bit dramatic about it and is the exact opposite of quick and effective.

But this was always about Dan and his happiness, not about his content or his audience, so no. The rebrand didn't fail. I still think most of it was a lot of hot air, but it didn't fail.
I agree a lot with your post.

The bit I bolded, I really agree with. Before tabinof and tatinof the whole llamas, placenta etc wasn't even that much of a thing anymore but THEY decided to bring it back for the tour. I can kind of see why, but it also wasn't really needed in the stage show, I'm sure they could have filled that 2 minutes with something else but they chose to go back to the cringe.

Dan wants to get rid of those kind of cringe links but yet he wears a llama jumper and the tweet from his mum about the llama christmas present and it has sparked off so many people on twitter posting photos of llamas back to him (I just searched and was shocked at the amount of llama posts directed to him). I'm not saying he has to stop liking these things completely but he must know how the phandom works and this seems like a little provoking. I just hope he never mentions a whisk ever again because it's soooo annoying.
"you don't need to say pow every time I apply some wood" - Dan Howell 2015.

User avatar
fancybum
angel bean
Posts: 1416
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:06 am
Location: bork

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by fancybum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 pm

Catallena wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm
Meh, does he really have a career outside of YouTube atm tho?
Why is it so terrible that he doesn’t want to be publicly known as danisnotonfire anymore? Lol I get it’s just this annoyance thing but it’s not actually that deep. People know him as part of Dan and Phil and his channel is still casually referred to as dinof by people who have known it as that for so long, but now when he gets quoted in things or referred to outside of YT (with the mental health ambassadorship and probably upcoming press for their tour and who knows what else in the future), they’ll use Daniel Howell because that’s now his official YT/twitter/etc name. It’s just about looking a bit more “professional” for people who don’t understand the internet. Even if you don’t think he has a career beyond YT right now, he still exists as a media personality and will be spoken/written about, whether it’s in relation to YT or not. And whatever he does end up doing in the future, what name he goes by won’t be an issue since he’s ripped the bandaid off now. And tabinof, he’s already said that’s the Dan and Phil history in book form, up to the time of its writing (and up to the end of tatinof, putting an end to that era). Not being known primarily as dinof now doesn’t retcon all the years where he was. But that’s in the past and we’re here now and who knows what “here” will look like in a year from now, 5 years from now.

Anyway, I was wondering about Phil teasing Dan more by calling him a rat and whatever else. Did that become more prominent after the depression video or was it already a regular thing before that? I wonder if that was partly Phil assuring the audience that those jokes were still okay, if he saw some of the ‘omg don’t hurt Dan’s feelings’ reaction from the younger crowd (or if he was anticipating it, and the jokes starting before the video still had at least some of that intent?). Or is that the definition of overthinking things?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me

User avatar
missemma
dirty bitch
dirty bitch
Posts: 1375
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: London

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by missemma » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:19 pm

it's that time to get your voting on for the next thread name #spon
"you don't need to say pow every time I apply some wood" - Dan Howell 2015.

User avatar
obsessivelymoody
living flop
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:56 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: vancouver

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by obsessivelymoody » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm

so_cheesy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:09 pm
obsessivelymoody wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:55 pm
Catallena wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm
Meh, does he really have a career outside of YouTube atm tho?
yeah, i definitely get and agree with your point. everything he has "outside of youtube" has just stemmed from youtube itself, and of course isn't entirely separate. the books, both tours, his work with young minds, and literally every other work thing he does is all because of youtube, and always goes back to it. dan's made some really great connections to lead him to a career outside of youtube when that "meteor" eventually strikes and they see no point on the platform anymore, but he definitely is still very much attached to youtube. and yes this post was probably really pointless
That's why I said he's thinking ahead with this. We don't know what else he's working on behind the scenes:)
yeah absolutely, which is, at least to me, strangely exciting? not to get all weird, but the future holds so much. like i started watching them in 2014 and if i went back and told myself about everything that's happened over the past three years i'm not sure i would believe it :lol: the discussion about the rebranding and career stuff is interesting, and i guess it's just nice to know as someone who is still pretty invested in watching them, that they (i'm including phil in this too because he's, as someone said earlier, doing the same thing just more subtly) aren't stupid and have a good grasp on where they want to go next.
phil, being the satan snake that he is

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by alittledizzy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm

To be honest, I think with Dan's filter of negativity and skewed sense of self-perception he's gonna be the kind of person who goes through his entire life thinking that everything he's ever done aside from what he is doing right now was cringe and something he wants to/should leave behind. I think the rebrand probably felt really good for him and I'm happy for him if it did if it was what he needed at that time in his life, but in the sense of from here on out he only does honest things he's proud of - nah. It'll be futile if that was the goal. In like three more years he'll probably look back and say that things like making meme videos was embarrassing or trying to play advice columnists online to a bunch of teenagers was cringe. If he decides he likes a new style of clothes he'll talk about how awful the oversized stuff was. He's already that way with TABINOF/TATINOF; they're his product and to some extent he has to stick by them but he wholly dismisses them as "the history of Dan and Phil" when explaining what they are. (I'm not even saying he's wrong; just that it's a negatively skewed viewpoint.)

User avatar
sentinel
sad dimple
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by sentinel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm

I think the main problem with the rebranding, for me at least, stems from the fact that he acts as if dinof was some sort of a burden placed upon him by his viewers when in reality, he himself was the one making up the ~character~. Fans never dictated his content, no one made a fuzz when the llamas/Delia Smith etc faded away and I think he could have just switched the name and the header without all the drama. In some ways he makes himself out to be some martyr that is suffering for his viewers' sins .
Image

User avatar
alch
#relatable
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:00 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by alch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:09 pm

Catallena wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm
Meh, does he really have a career outside of YouTube atm tho?
yeah, agreed. The radio show was outside of youtube, but it's over now.
The book, tour, and everything else is just because of their youtube success. They wrote a book about their career, and had a tour where they did youtube-related things for their youtube audiences.

malday
trash
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by malday » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:16 pm

I think he just needed to make a video and thought why not be dramatic for 8 minutes about something simple like changing an username. :lol:
Image

User avatar
dancy
living flop
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by dancy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:41 pm

This is probably because I became a fan after the rebrand but I really don't give a damn about the fact that he changed his display name. Daniel Howell just looks more professional. I wouldn't say he's got much of a career outside of Youtube but if he plans on going to more serious events like the cyberbullying campaign, he'd want to be taken seriously. Or can you imagine what it would've looked like if he was at UK on Stage and that big screen behind him would've said "danisnotonfire"?

On a less important note, for about 4 years I thought his name was actually danisonfire. It just made more sense to me, so whenever I saw a post from "danisnotonfire" popping up on my dashboard, I thought it was just a fan account. It wasn't until I became a fan last year, that I figured out it really was danisnotonfire :lol: I suppose that provides an example of someone who didn't really know him not understanding his username.

Edit: I keep saying this year when I'm actually referring to 2017 :?
Last edited by dancy on Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LurkingTrash
Ar·tic·u·late
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 3:09 am
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by LurkingTrash » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:43 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm
To be honest, I think with Dan's filter of negativity and skewed sense of self-perception he's gonna be the kind of person who goes through his entire life thinking that everything he's ever done aside from what he is doing right now was cringe and something he wants to/should leave behind. I think the rebrand probably felt really good for him and I'm happy for him if it did if it was what he needed at that time in his life, but in the sense of from here on out he only does honest things he's proud of - nah. It'll be futile if that was the goal. In like three more years he'll probably look back and say that things like making meme videos was embarrassing or trying to play advice columnists online to a bunch of teenagers was cringe. If he decides he likes a new style of clothes he'll talk about how awful the oversized stuff was. He's already that way with TABINOF/TATINOF; they're his product and to some extent he has to stick by them but he wholly dismisses them as "the history of Dan and Phil" when explaining what they are. (I'm not even saying he's wrong; just that it's a negatively skewed viewpoint.)
That's so accurate it hurts. I know he must have some fondness for what hes done in the past because history but still, I think he knows by know that he will be supported in new changes so it becomes clear that spinning the past like something cringe-worthy isn't needed for him to change, but he keeps doing it because it's a part of how he perceives things and not just him trying to direct how his audience interacts with him; like you said, it's not a wrong point of view, just a negative one but still isn't the most fun one to have

dailybooth
delia smith’s placenta
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm
Pronouns: She/Her
Location: USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by dailybooth » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Phil posted about some of his twitter drafts 3 hours ago and they were so unremarkable no one has mentioned them on here. But I thought for posterity's sake I'd embed the tweet. A least we know he hasn't succumbed to his illness and died. :dead:
:lion: :prideflag:

whatdoiknow
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by whatdoiknow » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:56 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm
To be honest, I think with Dan's filter of negativity and skewed sense of self-perception he's gonna be the kind of person who goes through his entire life thinking that everything he's ever done aside from what he is doing right now was cringe and something he wants to/should leave behind. I think the rebrand probably felt really good for him and I'm happy for him if it did if it was what he needed at that time in his life, but in the sense of from here on out he only does honest things he's proud of - nah. It'll be futile if that was the goal. In like three more years he'll probably look back and say that things like making meme videos was embarrassing or trying to play advice columnists online to a bunch of teenagers was cringe. If he decides he likes a new style of clothes he'll talk about how awful the oversized stuff was. He's already that way with TABINOF/TATINOF; they're his product and to some extent he has to stick by them but he wholly dismisses them as "the history of Dan and Phil" when explaining what they are. (I'm not even saying he's wrong; just that it's a negatively skewed viewpoint.)
I completely agree with this. It's also a form of self-preservation. Even if he doesn't necessarily think everything he's done is cringe, he presents it that way because it's a classic defense mechanism. If he points out his flaws and laughs about himself, then he is already laughing; therefore, nobody else can laugh at him, they are now laughing with him. So, in a way he will always view his past as cringe, but this is partly because he tells himself to view his past as cringe, so that nobody can laugh at him and then therefore make him feel bad for being proud of that past thing. It's a cycle. I'm not sure if I explained that correctly, and I might be projecting slightly, but I very much do see this in Dan.

dae
dank meme
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:44 pm
Pronouns: They/them

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by dae » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 pm

this is related and unrelated but does anyone know how to make money fast online being a teen? I know deppy are going to be announcing tbc tour dates soon one of those being montreal and Im still broke with no money anyone got any ideas?
"Accept that you don't really have to know everything and why"

BSV
living flop
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:14 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by BSV » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:44 pm

dae wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 pm
this is related and unrelated but does anyone know how to make money fast online being a teen? I know deppy are going to be announcing tbc tour dates soon one of those being montreal and Im still broke with no money anyone got any ideas?
Selling your old stuff is always a winner :) Or doing odd jobs in your neighbourhood? :)

User avatar
forforever
not a first-time poster
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:14 pm
Location: Midwest USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by forforever » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Catallena wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:11 pm


He now uses the name 'Daniel Howell' instead DINOF while rarely ever using that name anywhere else. Isn't that just confusing for potential new viewers who won't be sure how to address you? We call him Dan, his friends call him Dan, in videos he's Dan and he's still part of the Dan & Phil duo. But in channel and video titles and occasional official stuff, he's Daniel. Not always though, because the upcoming video will most likely use Dan in the title again as that's what he called it in his Tumblr post. His second channel? Fair enough, it doesn't see much use anyway. But the name is still a reference to DINOF, again using the name Dan. I think I'd drive myself crazy if I essentially went by two names all the time. But maybe I think about too hard.

This is my main confusion about the "rebrand." Why didn't he change his channel to Dan Howell? It doesn't seem that anyone in his life actually calls him Daniel, most fans still call him Dan, Phil calls him Dan, he calls himself Dan. I only saw people start calling him Daniel after the rebrand, and it seemed like they were only calling him that because they thought that was what he wanted. Is it what he wants? I find myself feeling bad calling him Dan sometimes because now I'm unsure. This is probably a personal problem because I have a name people automatically shorten even when I ask them to call me my full name.

User avatar
Catallena
angel bean
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by Catallena » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm

fancybum wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:16 pm
Catallena wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm
Meh, does he really have a career outside of YouTube atm tho?
Why is it so terrible that he doesn’t want to be publicly known as danisnotonfire anymore? Lol I get it’s just this annoyance thing but it’s not actually that deep. People know him as part of Dan and Phil and his channel is still casually referred to as dinof by people who have known it as that for so long, but now when he gets quoted in things or referred to outside of YT (with the mental health ambassadorship and probably upcoming press for their tour and who knows what else in the future), they’ll use Daniel Howell because that’s now his official YT/twitter/etc name. It’s just about looking a bit more “professional” for people who don’t understand the internet. Even if you don’t think he has a career beyond YT right now, he still exists as a media personality and will be spoken/written about, whether it’s in relation to YT or not. And whatever he does end up doing in the future, what name he goes by won’t be an issue since he’s ripped the bandaid off now. And tabinof, he’s already said that’s the Dan and Phil history in book form, up to the time of its writing (and up to the end of tatinof, putting an end to that era). Not being known primarily as dinof now doesn’t retcon all the years where he was. But that’s in the past and we’re here now and who knows what “here” will look like in a year from now, 5 years from now.
It's not. But speculation about Dan changing his username has been a topic of discussion for years and once upon a time I was firmly on team 'yeah that makes sense, he works for the BBC now and stuff' but these days it's a weird argument to me. With the radio show being over, after a book and tour that carried the DINOF name and solidified that brand more than ever and them just not being associated with anything beyond YouTube rn, I just don't see the relevance. There were to excellent points in time for a professional rebrand: in 2012 (or even the start of 2013) when he signed with the BBC and his channel was rapidly gaining popularity, and in 2015 before they announced their book and tour. But he didn't and that causes me to think that his professional image was not the reason and never was. Much like dizzy says in her post, Dan is always looking for ways to distance himself from his past and will probably continue to do so in the future. Your example with TABINOF/TATINOF is literally an example of it. While the whole professional name thing was probably on the pro side of his pros and cons list, in the end I think it had little to do with that.
alittledizzy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm
To be honest, I think with Dan's filter of negativity and skewed sense of self-perception he's gonna be the kind of person who goes through his entire life thinking that everything he's ever done aside from what he is doing right now was cringe and something he wants to/should leave behind. I think the rebrand probably felt really good for him and I'm happy for him if it did if it was what he needed at that time in his life, but in the sense of from here on out he only does honest things he's proud of - nah. It'll be futile if that was the goal. In like three more years he'll probably look back and say that things like making meme videos was embarrassing or trying to play advice columnists online to a bunch of teenagers was cringe. If he decides he likes a new style of clothes he'll talk about how awful the oversized stuff was. He's already that way with TABINOF/TATINOF; they're his product and to some extent he has to stick by them but he wholly dismisses them as "the history of Dan and Phil" when explaining what they are. (I'm not even saying he's wrong; just that it's a negatively skewed viewpoint.)
I agree with this, and to my horror I can already imagine the exact thing in your post happening. Not looking forward to his new phase and the dismissal of his current one tbh.
sentinel wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm
I think the main problem with the rebranding, for me at least, stems from the fact that he acts as if dinof was some sort of a burden placed upon him by his viewers when in reality, he himself was the one making up the ~character~. Fans never dictated his content, no one made a fuzz when the llamas/Delia Smith etc faded away and I think he could have just switched the name and the header without all the drama. In some ways he makes himself out to be some martyr that is suffering for his viewers' sins .
My nr. 1 pet peeve with Dan tbh. I know it's ~not serious~ but at one point he want a bit too far with it for my taste (when he complained about having to play Undertale on camera instead of in private) and now I'm a bit bitter over the whole shtick.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr

George
delia smith’s placenta
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by George » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:04 pm

sentinel wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm
I think the main problem with the rebranding, for me at least, stems from the fact that he acts as if dinof was some sort of a burden placed upon him by his viewers when in reality, he himself was the one making up the ~character~.
This is interesting because now than he goes by Daniel Howell, he'll be seen less as a character and more as the real Daniel Howell. That sounds like something that might became a burden for him. Sometimes having a character can take pressure of (like it seems to take for Phil). Now, after rebranding to his literal self, whenever he decides to drop something, he really has to learn to accept that as his personal growth. It will be interesting to see what kind of the shift Dan's content will take this year, after all he talks a lot about being more open etc. But then again, Dan talks a lot... And if he takes more personal approach, will it be easier or harder for him to accept his content and the way it changes as time passes?

Plus I had to say, for me the depression video felt more like a rebrand than his actual rebrand video - at the end of the day it's more his content and not his display name that defines him, even outside the Youtube community.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.

kavat
delia smith’s placenta
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:36 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Stockholm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by kavat » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:10 pm

I just rewatched Dans liveshow from right after the rebrand and he said
Someone wise said to me: You are happy when you feel like you are being authentic. So if you know who you are on the inside and that is who you are presenting on the outside...that's one of the things that can make you feel at ease. Or rather, if you feel like the person you are portraying on the outside isn't wholly reflecting who you are on the inside,
that can be a source of stress and anxiety. /.../It's important that all of you...aspire to communicate the person you are on the inside.
(07:58 and forward https://youtu.be/m3arwZIcDp0?t=477)

I'm guessing "someone wise" here is his therapist, and that this was something that they talked about. Maybe he saw dinof as representing the young, sad, insecure Dan and the rebrand as a step forward (along with a more grown up aesthetic, maybe the hair and showing his male attraction) to a new, more genuine Daniel. Idk, he later goes on to talk about how it's mostly just a display name and that it really doesn't matter, but I definitely think it was something he needed to do for himself to close a chapter of sorts.
Do you make mistakes or do you make a change?

User avatar
fancybum
angel bean
Posts: 1416
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:06 am
Location: bork

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by fancybum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Catallena wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm
It's not. But speculation about Dan changing his username has been a topic of discussion for years and once upon a time I was firmly on team 'yeah that makes sense, he works for the BBC now and stuff' but these days it's a weird argument to me. With the radio show being over, after a book and tour that carried the DINOF name and solidified that brand more than ever and them just not being associated with anything beyond YouTube rn, I just don't see the relevance. There were to excellent points in time for a professional rebrand: in 2012 (or even the start of 2013) when he signed with the BBC and his channel was rapidly gaining popularity, and in 2015 before they announced their book and tour. But he didn't and that causes me to think that his professional image was not the reason and never was. Much like dizzy says in her post, Dan is always looking for ways to distance himself from his past and will probably continue to do so in the future. Your example with TABINOF/TATINOF is literally an example of it. While the whole professional name thing was probably on the pro side of his pros and cons list, in the end I think it had little to do with that.
The internet was different in 2012/13 (in that everyone used their screen names, I doubt it would have even occurred to Dan as an option then when he was still building that name/brand- most of the bigger YTers only started doing it in the last few years) and more importantly, Dan was different. He’s never been as comfortable with himself as the last couple of years (which isn’t to say he’s completely comfortable, as whatdoiknow perfectly explained with the defense mechanism thing he’s still using), and with that came the discomfort of being trapped with a username he chose as a 13 year old that he no longer identified with or wanted to be identified as. As many people have already discussed, it seems like the name change was mostly for himself and a symbolic thing (while still serving the practical use of him no longer being embarrassed by the moniker in traditional media mentions). If the main issue is that the video (and lead up to it) was over the top compared to the result, then fine. Dan is over the top. But the name change itself is just something Dan wanted to do and finally did when he felt ready. So what if it would have made more sense in 2013? Better late than never.

Also disagree with the martyr thing. I think a lot of things people think are Dan making a big deal about something are actually the fans making a bigger deal than him and then blaming him for it. With all that said though, now I’m apprehensive about the meme video. Who’s going to make the bigger deal about whatever he decides to focus on in it? Maybe if I just start cringing now it’ll be fine.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by alittledizzy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:25 pm

fancybum wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 pm
Maybe if I just start cringing now it’ll be fine.
I mean... that's generally my coping mechanism for any video that involves large amounts of fan submission/interaction. So, yeah.

User avatar
smartcookie
dank meme
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:19 am
Location: The north

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by smartcookie » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 pm

dae wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 pm
this is related and unrelated but does anyone know how to make money fast online being a teen? I know deppy are going to be announcing tbc tour dates soon one of those being montreal and Im still broke with no money anyone got any ideas?
Assassination and/or selling your kidney and/or soul? Eh, I’m sure you’ll figure something out, these were just what I’d done in your situation :mrgreen: :bigthumbsup:
everything sucks forever

User avatar
nerdysporks
crusty sponge
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:41 am
Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by nerdysporks » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 pm

dae wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 pm
this is related and unrelated but does anyone know how to make money fast online being a teen? I know deppy are going to be announcing tbc tour dates soon one of those being montreal and Im still broke with no money anyone got any ideas?
If you're a good writer (or programmer) i'd suggest freelancing. I worked for a while at freelancer.com and got paid about $25 for an hour to an hour and a half's work. You make an account and have to establish a bit of a presence by going in for smaller dollar amounts but once you find a regular employer it's good work.

User avatar
fancybum
angel bean
Posts: 1416
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:06 am
Location: bork

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by fancybum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:43 pm

alittledizzy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:25 pm
fancybum wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 pm
Maybe if I just start cringing now it’ll be fine.
I mean... that's generally my coping mechanism for any video that involves large amounts of fan submission/interaction. So, yeah.
True. Okay, I’ve got about a week to prepare so.
Cringe: Activated.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me

User avatar
flarequake
angel bean
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:55 pm
Pronouns: She/her
Location: London, UK

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: hitting you with our gay agenda

Post by flarequake » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:56 pm

On making money online, if you have an Amazon account, the marketplace section is great for things that actually sell - 2nd-hand fiction books are often priced at just a penny, but textbooks can do well, and DVDs, video games and consoles tend to fly out the door. Sending things tracked and signed-for is usually worth a little extra too cos every so often something goes missing or “missing” and you have to refund. eBay is similar, I just find Amazon easier.

On Dan not sticking with Dan Howell but changing to Daniel, he said why in his video and edited to sound like a demon calling him Dan Howell, it’s how he remembered people saying it when they bullied him at school.

Locked