Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

so_cheesy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am Don’t get me wrong but a fandom raising charity money for any cause for the beloved celebrity’s birthday sounds very weird to me, unless the person themselves organize it like Colleen Ballinger does every year. Otherwise it’s awkward. But of course maybe that’s just me. Sorry if that sounds insensitive. If somebody wants to make a difference they can do it regardless of fandoms.
It's actually a very, very common thing for fandoms to do - it's always been weird to me that phandom is literally not charity-minded at all. What better way is there to show a celebrity that you admire and appreciate them than doing good in their name? Plus it has a way of binding a fandom together, having a central cause that everyone feels good about and it leaves more lasting impact than a twitter trending tag.

I'm also on team 'we don't know what they do with their money' when it comes to personal charity. I think it's very possible that they donate to organizations that mean a lot to them but have decided to eschew the backpatting mentality or pedestal that comes when a celebrity is borderline deified by their fanbase for doing something good. (Which isn't even to say I'm upset when celebrities do talk about charity work; raising awareness and using influence for good count for something. But it, like most things, can be a double edged sword.)
liola wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:45 pm Sorry for double posting but I think the #phimmy lovers wouldn't want to miss this like from Phil. Especially @alittledizzy

Can we add this to "Phil is thirsty" file? (Sorry, the lack of content is boring)
I am basking in the phimmy today omg. Leaving this for further immortalization:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm I'm also on team 'we don't know what they do with their money' when it comes to personal charity. I think it's very possible that they donate to organizations that mean a lot to them but have decided to eschew the backpatting mentality or pedestal that comes when a celebrity is borderline deified by their fanbase for doing something good. (Which isn't even to say I'm upset when celebrities do talk about charity work; raising awareness and using influence for good count for something. But it, like most things, can be a double edged sword.)
I didn't mean that I want them to donate their own money and brag about it. But they have a huge audience, and if they say "Don't bring us gifts on tour, rather donate to a charity", people would do that and in the long run, might do a lot more than a couple of thousand $ from the boys.
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:26 pm
so_cheesy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am Don’t get me wrong but a fandom raising charity money for any cause for the beloved celebrity’s birthday sounds very weird to me, unless the person themselves organize it like Colleen Ballinger does every year. Otherwise it’s awkward. But of course maybe that’s just me. Sorry if that sounds insensitive. If somebody wants to make a difference they can do it regardless of fandoms.
It's actually a very, very common thing for fandoms to do - it's always been weird to me that phandom is literally not charity-minded at all.[...]
Is that because the D&P don't really inspire the phandom in that regard? They say "We love fanart" so people draw fanart. Dan talkes about mental health, and people make it their own agenda. Dan tweets about politics, and people from all over the world are suddenly talking about the UK election.
People are literally throwing money at D&P for five seconds of their attention in a liveshow. They would also throw money at a charity if they could get a shoutout for it.

Am I making sense right now? I am not sure. What I am trying to say is: The phandom could achieve great things, but it's so spread out across platforms that making a united effort would only be possible if it's channeled through D&P. I am not asking D&P to donate any of their own money, but I would greatly appreciate it if they inspired their audience to do so*. Whether that is through a charity livestream, a simple tweet, or whatever they come up with.

*Disclaimer: I hope it's implied that I mean that only people who are financially stable should donate, and that should of course be made clear by whoever is asking their audience to donate. Mark and Jack do that, at least.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I don't know, I feel like they do charity work quite often. I'm not saying they couldn't do more, but I definitely don't condemn them for doing what they're doing. They do Stand Up To Cancer, Make A Wish, Dan is promoting Young Minds, proceeds from their "single" went entirely to charity afaik, they've done a couple other things like Manchester merch. Of course they could be asking their audience to donate more often, or hosting livestreams, but... That's not really their thing, and I can't blame them for that.

Bottomline, I don't think they are any worse than any other youtuber, and I don't feel comparing them to others is the right thing to do.

However, I do love the idea of getting together and donating money to charity for their birthdays, even if D&P themselves don't do it, the members of the phandom can achieve it themselves. Yes, it is spread out across platforms, and maybe the first time, there wouldn't be that many donations. If it became a thing though, something that happens regularly, I'm sure a lot of money could be raised.
so_cheesy
butt chair

It's actually a very, very common thing for fandoms to do - it's always been weird to me that phandom is literally not charity-minded at all. What better way is there to show a celebrity that you admire and appreciate them than doing good in their name? Plus it has a way of binding a fandom together, having a central cause that everyone feels good about and it leaves more lasting impact than a twitter trending tag.

I'm also on team 'we don't know what they do with their money' when it comes to personal charity. I think it's very possible that they donate to organizations that mean a lot to them but have decided to eschew the backpatting mentality or pedestal that comes when a celebrity is borderline deified by their fanbase for doing something good. (Which isn't even to say I'm upset when celebrities do talk about charity work; raising awareness and using influence for good count for something. But it, like most things, can be a double edged sword.)
liola wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:45 pm Sorry for double posting but I think the #phimmy lovers wouldn't want to miss this like from Phil. Especially @alittledizzy

Can we add this to "Phil is thirsty" file? (Sorry, the lack of content is boring)
I am basking in the phimmy today omg. Leaving this for further immortalization:
Alright I think I just need a thought-out explanation of what “doing good in their name” means exactly. Because donating money literally in the name of someone who didn’t ask for it/requested it and doesn’t even know about what’s going on sounds like a terrible idea to me and I stand by this. You can’t act on behalf of other people like that. (What if they wouldn’t personally support the charity we choose, e.g. WWF has a pretty controversial reputation actually... or something like that.) Or do you think like owning it as In Depth Bants forum? Sorry if I sound nitpicky I just want to be careful.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

so_cheesy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:08 pmAlright I think I just need a thought-out explanation of what “doing good in their name” means exactly. Because donating money literally in the name of someone who didn’t ask for it/requested it and doesn’t even know about what’s going on sounds like a terrible idea to me and I stand by this. You can’t act on behalf of other people like that. (What if they wouldn’t personally support the charity we choose, e.g. WWF has a pretty controversial reputation actually... or something like that.) Or do you think like owning it as In Depth Bants forum? Sorry if I sound nitpicky I just want to be careful.
I'm unsure if we're talking about the same thing? The fandom can act on behalf of itself, in the name of the celebrity. To essentially say: "We want to make a gesture to show that your fanbase cares, so as a birthday gift to you we donated to a charity you like."

Sure, charities should be vetted, but that goes for pretty much any occasion and not limited to fan fundraisers. And I think most people end up choosing a charity that has been supported by the celebrity they're donating in the name of? Dan and Phil are associated with some charities; Stand Up to Cancer, Young Minds, Make-a-Wish. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever been in a fandom where a celebrity didn't have charity associations that made it obvious where fans could put their money toward, so the question of vetting or a celebrity disapproving has never come up in my personal experience.

I also love the idea of fans setting up some kind of collection at tour stops. Especially around Dan's birthday, which was over tour last time and will be again this year. Far better a gift than t-shirts or material things he likely won't have room to even take with him when he leaves the venue.
dancy
procrastinator

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:47 pm
It's actually a very, very common thing for fandoms to do - it's always been weird to me that phandom is literally not charity-minded at all.[...]
Is that because the D&P don't really inspire the phandom in that regard? They say "We love fanart" so people draw fanart. Dan talkes about mental health, and people make it their own agenda. Dan tweets about politics, and people from all over the world are suddenly talking about the UK election.
People are literally throwing money at D&P for five seconds of their attention in a liveshow. They would also throw money at a charity if they could get a shoutout for it.

Am I making sense right now? I am not sure. What I am trying to say is: The phandom could achieve great things, but it's so spread out across platforms that making a united effort would only be possible if it's channeled through D&P. I am not asking D&P to donate any of their own money, but I would greatly appreciate it if they inspired their audience to do so*. Whether that is through a charity livestream, a simple tweet, or whatever they come up with.

*Disclaimer: I hope it's implied that I mean that only people who are financially stable should donate, and that should of course be made clear by whoever is asking their audience to donate. Mark and Jack do that, at least.
I agree, I quite like the idea of the phandom raising money for charity! Not sure how well it'd work out for Phil's birthday, since that's in only 3 weeks time but there's still plenty of time until Dan's birthday. I think he'd definitely appreciate it since he's involved with Young Minds now and asked people to donate on World Mental Health Day. I do have to say that I've actually never heard of or been in a fandom that would do something like this. The kind of fan projects that I'm familiar with usually have to do with creating trending hashtags, fan art or fan videos. Has the phandom ever done that? Made a compilation video with loads of fans recording themselves wishing D&P a happy birthday/holding up signs? That could be nice too...or a disaster idk.

As to why the phandom isn't very charity-minded, I also agree that D&P don't do much to inspire the phandom in that regard. A large part of the phandom also consists of teenagers and where I come from, teenagers aren't charity-minded in general. As a 14-year-old I had no money, no job, no bank account or paypal or creditcard. I basically had no way of paying for things online and if I wanted something, I had to beg my parents for it. Because of all that, giving money to charities just wasn't on my mind at all.
fancybum
senpai

So the next video we’ll be getting (on main channels at least, but I wouldn’t object to a gaming vid JUST SAYING) is Dan’s memes one, but Phil is due for one pretty soon too. Guesses on what he’ll do? New Years resolutions mixed with Xmas gift haul..? A vid about taking down the tree, sans not-even-kilted man? Wait, they could wear kilts- I made it weird. But seriously I actually want to watch him/them undecorate a tree. Like I actually think that’s a good idea? Is that the gamingmas withdrawal talking? Probably. But! AP video! Hey, Martyn & Cornelia are in China, maybe he stowed away with them and we can get a goddamn Phil in a suitcase DITL in China.

Nevermind, he’s home photographing Dan in slippers. I guess that’s better.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
DatCog
blobfish

fancybum wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:13 pm
The yoga training is really paying off! Have we seen those Sims family pictures before? So cute :love2:
Ewok
rainbow nerd

*regina george voice*
those are the ugliest effing shoes i’ve ever seen

i’m impressed by how flexible he is tho. what a long ass, bendy boy.
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:59 pm
Wow, guys, so what did you all think of the new video?? I can't believe they really put on dragon costumes and mimed breeding in a hot air balloon while solving an island mystery.

World's most delayed response, but honestly, I'm still a little emotional over this thumbnail. Is this what it feels like when fanfic writers get illustrations for their fics? Thank you for the honor, dizzy. It's beautiful.

:happytears:
fancybum wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:13 pm So the next video we’ll be getting (on main channels at least, but I wouldn’t object to a gaming vid JUST SAYING) is Dan’s memes one, but Phil is due for one pretty soon too. Guesses on what he’ll do? New Years resolutions mixed with Xmas gift haul..? A vid about taking down the tree, sans not-even-kilted man? Wait, they could wear kilts- I made it weird. But seriously I actually want to watch him/them undecorate a tree. Like I actually think that’s a good idea? Is that the gamingmas withdrawal talking? Probably. But! AP video! Hey, Martyn & Cornelia are in China, maybe he stowed away with them and we can get a goddamn Phil in a suitcase DITL in China.

My guess for Phil's new video: "TAKING BUZZFEED QUIZZES: New Year's Resolution based on my favorite popcorn?!"'

Dan's so stupid, I love him. I also love that Phil got on the floor to take some of these pictures. They're both so ridiculous, but I'm totally cool with it, if this is how they choose to inform us that they're alive.

I'm mildly uncomfortable with that one image of Dan's leg though. Put it down. I'm getting second-hand muscle strain.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Agh he’s so stupid! I didn’t realise how much I miss him till now. Iv been fine after gamingmas I havnt been missing the videos more so just everyone reacting to the videos. Sometimes I just love the reaction from new videos than the videos it’s self. Plus dan give me a liveshow soon I miss you talking about things I have no interest it. Also wtf is that sims thing?! Is that a box with their faces printed on it?!
Ewok
rainbow nerd

Secretstanner wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:38 pm
Agh he’s so stupid! I didn’t realise how much I miss him till now. Iv been fine after gamingmas I havnt been missing the videos more so just everyone reacting to the videos. Sometimes I just love the reaction from new videos than the videos it’s self. Plus dan give me a liveshow soon I miss you talking about things I have no interest it. Also wtf is that sims thing?! Is that a box with their faces printed on it?!
I’m really concerned. Please, for the love of all that is holy, just be some stupid sappy shit they keep around their flat, and not a part of interactive introverts. :?
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
Loafer
sofa crease

I’m very curious about the Sims family pictures, and also amused that they have a board game called “Articulate” :lol:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

The slippers are by Homeys and were once sold by Topman, so unless proven otherwise, I'm assuming they were one of Phil's christmas gifts.

They can feel free to clarify and actually let us know what they got each other for Christmas~
liola
rankussy

Phil's actual new video "BROSMAS: what did my best mate and I get each other during this lads time?"

I love Dan. He's a pretty silly boy and I miss his face and dammit the idea that Phil not-so-grumpy got on the floor to take pics of him just so he could show off his new slippers make me so damn emo. What is my life and why are they ruining it?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

Show off. :roll: What a dork, I love him.

:stan: Good work dizzy, great attention to detail!

Keep bringing on those Phil vid ideas folks.
blackdenim
procrastinator

fancybum wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:13 pm Nevermind, he’s home photographing Dan in slippers. I guess that’s better.

I NEED to know what yoga classes Dan has been taking I aspire to this level of flexibility in every area of my life.
fancybum
senpai

blackdenim wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:52 pm
I NEED to know what yoga classes Dan has been taking I aspire to this level of flexibility in every area of my life.
Ok I thought people were joking calling him all bendy, but is this actually what people consider flexible? He’s doing mangled tree and chair poses, which is the equivalent of sitting cross-legged but while standing? Like that’s more about balance than flexibility. Honestly I thought super long legs would make these even simpler, I’m so confused lol.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:15 pm
Ok I thought people were joking calling him all bendy, but is this actually what people consider flexible? He’s doing mangled tree and chair poses, which is the equivalent of sitting cross-legged but while standing? Like that’s more about balance than flexibility. Honestly I thought super long legs would make these even simpler, I’m so confused lol.
Super long legs definitely account for a lot of his flexibility. I'm short, my limbs are short, there are things that no amount of yoga would ever allow me to do. Likewise Dan's long, his limbs are long, there are some things that will never take him much effort to do.

(But I do still give him some genuine flexibility points for the plow pose at the end of the Australian DITL.)
blackdenim
procrastinator

I did actually mean balance rather than flexibility when I posted! He's not doing anything wildly flexible in those pictures, particularly given his height advantage, you're right! But he clearly has great balance. I was also impressed by the crow pose he executed fairly well on Phil's bed in PINOF - I'm too scared I'm going to fall and hurt myself to be able to do it but then I am pretty new to yoga.
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

i think people are less impressed by the sitting while standing thing than the one where he put his foot on his face. maybe i'm just horrifically unfit, but i haven't been able to do that since i was about 6 or 7, and i never did it standing. so i'm pretty impressed. (i think standing puts tension on your hamstring to hold you up? so it's harder to get in that pose standing because the muscles and stuff all connect. i'm not entirely sure, that's a guess based on my own experience) maybe that's still a balance thing? idk

but also, yeah no, i think it's generally harder for people with long legs to do balancing things because a lot of the time their weight is more in their upper body than in their legs, so they tend to wobble a bit (like a tall skinny tree in the wind)- if they're lanky at least. obv if someone's brawny (not the right word but this is as close as i can get), they'll have more muscle on their legs, which helps with the stability thing. no idea how height affects flexibility though - it's probably more to do with body proportions than actual limb length :shrug:
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 pm (But I do still give him some genuine flexibility points for the plow pose at the end of the Australian DITL.)
Yes, this. I’m terrified of that pose because I genuinely think I’d snap my neck. I think he needs to transform into a fitness channel and do weekly follow-along yoga routines. That’s not asking much, right? All it would take to impress me is a perfect downward dog with feet flat on the mat, I’m a simple person with simple needs (and tight calves apparently).
blackdenim wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:25 pm I did actually mean balance rather than flexibility when I posted! He's not doing anything wildly flexible in those pictures, particularly given his height advantage, you're right! But he clearly has great balance. I was also impressed by the crow pose he executed fairly well on Phil's bed in PINOF - I'm too scared I'm going to fall and hurt myself to be able to do it but then I am pretty new to yoga.
Basically anything that at all threatens my neck I’m like ‘..nah’ :lol: so I get it. I’m here to stretch, not die.

Ok he’s fairly bendy I’m sorry. :6-year-old dan:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Ok please tell me I'm not the only one who just hopped through the room on one leg trying to recreate those poses :6-year-old dan:
I've never done yoga (or anything comparable) in my life but I managed both the sitting-cross-leg and the foot-telephone pose? And I am not 6 foot tall.

Maybe this is what's next: Workout DVDs with Dan and Phil. Yoga with Your Boy DanielDreamX? Pilates with Phil? Martial Arts with Martyn? Carate with C-- ok I'll see myself out. I am clearly high on adrenalin from the workout.

edit: fancybum had the same idea at the same time. Scratch the memes video, Dan, and get the gym mat out!
Last edited by LtrllySusan on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackdenim
procrastinator

fancybum wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 pm
I think he needs to transform into a fitness channel and do weekly follow-along yoga routines. That’s not asking much, right?
I second this. 2018 rebrand, anyone?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:49 pm Ok please tell me I'm not the only one who just hopped through the room on one leg trying to recreate those poses :6-year-old dan:
I've never done yoga (or anything comparable) in my life but I managed both the sitting-cross-leg and the foot-telephone pose? And I am not 6 foot tall.

Maybe this is what's next: Workout DVDs with Dan and Phil. Yoga with Your Boy DanielDreamX? Pilates with Phil? Martial Arts with Martyn? Carate with C-- ok I'll see myself out. I am clearly high on adrenalin from the workout.
Okay, I'm both here for weekly yoga vids with Dan and also workout dvds with Dan and Phil and Martial Arts with Martyn and Cornelia can do anything she damn well wants and I am in, please take my money Cornelia and then also be my wife. Uh sorry, that derailed a bit.

I can do the sitting cross-legged but not for long - the foot phone post is out for me though. I'm just barely over 5'1" - I just don't have enough leg to reach. (Maybe if I were a total yoga pro/super flexible. But just a standard casual yoga enthusiast level, nope.)